IGNORED

Bristol City v Shrewsbury Town FA Cup R3

Septic Peg

2 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Feel sorry for LJ, the club selling the best players every year and expecting him to rebuild over and over again. Plus all the injuries he’s had, I think he’s working miracles.

Yeah feel really sorry for a manager that gets to spend millions on players, he’s achieved nothing as a manager and never will

Well what can you say about that... Apart from we were lucky, we didn't deserve a goal let alone a draw. 

Too many players looked disinterested today, the play itself is too slow, we get the ball there's a chance for a break away... We pass it sideways and back and then decide we need to try and break through 10 players. 

I said it in an earlier post on this thread City didn't look like they knew what they were doing, Nagy and Massengo kept going for the same ball, there were misplaced passes, no calls, no movement. At times it seemed as if these players had never met each other. 

6 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Feel sorry for LJ, the club selling the best players every year and expecting him to rebuild over and over again. Plus all the injuries he’s had, I think he’s working miracles.

He knew what was in store when he took the very highly paid job so don't feel sorry for him

I said at HT that I was looking forward to the second half as we started to put the game together in the last 15 of the first half.

Then they scored early on and what little mental toughness we've got just evaporated.

A truly awful, disjointed and dispiriting performance.

We are in big trouble - probably an understatement and also stating the bleedin obvious but that game really highlighted it. It is abundantly clear that the players (most of them at least) have completely lost confidence and it looks like some are out there hiding on the pitch. Its all gone very stale and we really needed a performance and a win today and got neither. 

Fair play to Shrewsbury, they played very well and the win obviously meant more to their players than ours.

Maenpaa - ok, not a great deal to do 6

Moore - poor distribution and control most of the game but kept going and didn't hide away 5

Kalas - very poor 4

Dasilva - very poor 4

Pereira - very poor 4

Palmer - pick of a very poor bunch but playing with totally out of form players hiding around him. At least he gave it a go. 7

Massengo - ok kept recycling the ball which is what he is there to do 6

Nagy - shite, what the hell has happened to him ? Technically a cut above us, but not on these performances and the last kick of the game he had a shot on but chose to give someone else the responsibility who had their back to goal. Gave the ball away countless times. 2.5

Eliasson - did well but had two on him second half which is what usually happens 6.5

Watkins - did ok and kept at it, didn't hide away 6

Diedhiou - back to donkey man after a few good games 4.5

COD - shite, 10 yard forward run, check, 10 yard back pass. Repeat ad nauseam. What was the point of that substitution ? No impact at all. 2.5

Weimann - at least I can spell his ******* name unlike quite a few on here 5

Baker - didn't notice him but at least he combed his hair nicely before going on the pitch

13 minutes ago, iamsober said:

You’re definitely not sober.

7 minutes ago, iamsober said:

So how do you explain how our new signings have come in and looked great?  It’s only after a few weeks of LJ and his coaching team working their magic on them, that they rapidly turn to shit!

If they were crap from the start, I could understand your argument

31 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Imagine being told after beating fulham that this is a performance we'd be putting in a month later...

Huddersfield then Fulham - brilliant.

Just what happened after the Fulham game for our performances to fall off a cliff the way they have?

Also I am convinced there really is an issue with playing at home. My suspicion for some time ( almost certainly shared by many) is that it is mainly down to the way LJ prepares and sets up his teams. His instinct is to be reactive i.e. to set up to counter the opposition, which is perhaps understandable against a potent team like West Brom or Leeds. However, when we come up against a team like Shrewsbury ( and this is meant in no way disrespectfully to them) we just don;t seem to have the capability of imposing ourselves and taking the game to the opposition.

We seem to come out of the dressing room on the back foot and in so many home games seem to be under pressure from the off. Huddersfield was a rare game when we got an early goal, and what a difference that made.

Promotion can never be achieved with home form like ours and this is especially frustrating when you look at our away fro, which over this and last season has been as good as any in the division. Unfortunately, home form and performances are also the most visible to City fans, so struggling at Ashton Gate will only increase pressure on LJ and the Ashton Gate vicious circle only gets ever more vicious!

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Huddersfield then Fulham - brilliant.

Just what happened after the Fulham game for our performances to fall off a cliff the way they have?

Also I am convinced there really is an issue with playing at home. My suspicion for some time ( almost certainly shared by many) is that it is mainly down to the way LJ prepares and sets up his teams. His instinct is to be reactive i.e. to set up to counter the opposition, which is perhaps understandable against a potent team like West Brom or Leeds. However, when we come up against a team like Shrewsbury ( and this is meant in no way disrespectfully to them) we just don;t seem to have the capability of imposing ourselves and taking the game to the opposition.

We seem to come out of the dressing room on the back foot and in so many home games seem to be under pressure from the off. Huddersfield was a rare game when we got an early goal, and what a difference that made.

Promotion can never be achieved with home form like ours and this is especially frustrating when you look at our away fro, which over this and last season has been as good as any in the division. Unfortunately, home form and performances are also the most visible to City fans, so struggling at Ashton Gate will only increase pressure on LJ and the Ashton Gate vicious circle only gets ever more vicious!

I don't think it's any coincidence that the 2 comfortable home wins in recent weeks have both involved us getting an early goal.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

Positive. Shrewsbury away, not been to their new ground.

It's not bad, I enjoyed going there.

City won, and we'd booked up in a great pub to stay afterwards before walking in the Shropshire Hills on the Sunday.

Said we'd do the same again some day...pity it's January plus we are so crap at the moment.

16 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

So how do you explain how our new signings have come in and looked great?  It’s only after a few weeks of LJ and his coaching team working their magic on them, that they rapidly turn to shit!

If they were crap from the start, I could understand your argument

Well that’s obvious surely. The injuries to key players impacted the teams form including the form of the new signings not his training.

At AG how refreshing to see a well organised and motivated side, quick and inventive on the break, strikers running the channels with purpose, strong at the back and revelling in the ascendancy?

Sadly for the time expired WeeLee it was the opposition and not the disinterested and disorganised pile of dross he'd put out (again) that provided the excitement. Make no mistake, this was no 'magic of the cup' surprise. Shrewsbury were equally our match, if not better on the day and their management ran rings around ours.

No surprises (again) in we were slow, ponderous and ineffective in getting the ball forward, sloppy all-round in giving the ball away, lax in picking up men in movement, even more lax in dead ball marking, static upfront, non-commital and as Eyeless in Gaza as is possible in attempting to pick a pass. WeeLee will be clapping his hands at the multiple short passing, keeping possession, yet somehow ending up under pressure at the same point we were 2 minutes earlier. Improving by inches, the same way we advance up the park. Doubtless he's less pleased at the end of such passages of play when we give the ball away cheaply, but that's something I'm sure he can work on. Excellent work from Moore, Kalas and Dasilva who when presented with 40 yards of open space in front resist their natural temptation to run forward instead obeying orders and playing the multiple laterals across the back, often via the keeper. Such tactic narrowly, on several occasions, nearly seeing us caught out. Let's tire the opposition, is that the plan? That said perhaps somebody can remind me when our midfield return from their winter break? 

Static scored and wasn't the worst but hearing Pereira scream at him multiple times to "Boss The Ground" when clearly he never has any intention of doing so says it all. Weimann needs to see a neurologist as clearly his feet aren't connected to his brain. I for one am fed up of seeing him fail to control the ball, kicking it out of play only to then claim possession and throw a strop when the ref calls it correctly. 5 bookings for decent, should be treble that for his cheating alone. Flap off somewhere else.

I'm led to believe WeeLee listens to the crowd's chants in which case let's hope in the case of the Wonderkid Section 82 (or wherever they stand) regale over the following months that:

"He drinks the vodka, drinks the Cider;

The space he leaves when being tasked to defend the edge of the box is ****ing Massive."

One might have thought our management would have screamed at him the first time he was caught napping and they nearly scored. Multiple instances on indicate either they weren't recognising  the danger else he's not the man for that role.

No fence sitting here, WeeLee's had more lives than a Manx cat and like that beast, there's no attractive ending. 

Don’t know about box entries but one main thing did not change today, from the top to the bottom of the championship and into dub one you will only ever see one team so bad at passing, positioning and ball retention and that is Bristol City, not one of those players was as bad when they joined us, so lacking in confidence!

I’ve said it since day one (and been slagged off for it) and will carry on! JOHNSON OUT!

44 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Just focusing on the performance, it was slow, disinterested and littered with individual errors.

A month ago we hit five past H'field, then won at third placed Fulham. Since then we have, with one exception, had a string of poor performances.

What has caused the turnround? Neither Manager nor players become poor overnight. Has LJ lost the dressing room and the players want rid - just like Brian T?

5 minutes ago, iamsober said:

Well that’s obvious surely. The injuries to key players impacted the teams form including the form of the new signings not his training.

An each time a ‘key player’ returns from injury, performances get worse, not better.

Afraid the common denominator in all this is the tactics and coaching, not that good players suddenly turn bad for no reason.

After the amount of time LJ has had, he should now just be fine tuning, when in reality we now look as bad as when he took over. The problem is, he’s managed to dump tens of £millions down the crapper, even allowing for player sales and we look to be going absolutely nowhere on the pitch.

Absolute shambles and anyone who thinks he will take us any further is completely delusional... Today showed how weak we are in area's that matter and his summer additions especially midfield are truly shocking.... SL please give him no money to spend in January and move him on once the last ball is kicked...

More shots, more possession and more corners. 2nd best at home to an average League 1 side. 258203226_Screenshot2020-01-04at15_20_16.png.e5a17fc8a3ac7954b4dfff7e47591af5.png
It is really depressing, I have not enjoyed the football (at home) for about 2 years. The continued improvement with League placings and away form has taken focus what really has been horrible football far too long. Yes we have had little blips where we usually beat Huddersfield or some other poor side, but as an entertainment we have been woeful . You can obviously blame the players to a point, but they are Lj's players. You can blame tactics , attitude , all sorts of things , but sooner or later Steve Lansdown will surely have had enough. He cannot  have enjoyed seeing another promising position crash and burn, and form completely fall apart again. 

It is a very odd position to be in. Having been the only side to improve it's League position 5 years on the bounce, and yet not know our best side or formation. The spell with Reid up front, we played quick short passing and high pressing football with purpose. We didn't have the squad to keep it up and rotate players, and when others were fit they came in it altered slightly. Now we have no style, no focus and play counter attacking football at home against even sides from lower divisions. 
I feel it could be a long season, though I would add that 2 good signings soon could make a massive difference. We have the best squad of players (probably) ever assembled at the Gate, and yet we under perform regularly. After 50+ signings you have to question the Coach/Management team and the recruitment staff, there seems little joined up thinking or real sense of direction. 

God , I've even depressed myself now. I'm off down the local Lounge for a burger and a few beers to cheer the **** up.

Archived