IGNORED

Gary Owers

La Plage

I know that it’s easy to talk a good job about managers and tactics when it’s not you in the firing line (Gary Neville being a great example), but why is it that Gary Owers seems to hit the weaknesses on the head week in week out, mainly the same points you and I also witness from the stands, but our coaching/management team fail to see from the dugout?

2 minutes ago, La Plage said:

I know that it’s easy to talk a good job about managers and tactics when it’s not you in the firing line (Gary Neville being a great example), but why is it that Gary Owers seems to hit the weaknesses on the head week in week out, mainly the same points you and I also witness from the stands, but our coaching/management team fail to see from the dugout?

Because our coaches and management team keep looking at "stats' instead if actually 'real life'

How many box entries today I wonder 

Pathetic 

2 minutes ago, La Plage said:

Think it’s easy to see from a distance the problem.

Owers had moderate success at non league level but by no means outstanding.

19 minutes ago, RonWalker said:

It's easy to see, it's more difficult to fix. Sure LJ isn't happy with the intensity and you'd hope they do some sort of shape work in training but it's not getting through.

Probably because LJ over complicates and keeps changing tactics and team selections from game to game. Footballers are not University graduate standard, they all have their skills in the positions they usually play in and over complicating coaching is imo having a negative effect on these players.

And if you compare the simple tactic David Moyes has employed - play players in their best position and make the plan clear - life becomes so much easier!

When Scott Murray played we knew what we would try to do to score a goal - I have absolutely no idea how we plan to score these days - apart from Eliasson!

Please get the players to do the basics well and give them a strategy!!

7 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

He will be for the next 3 games.

Why? His red card was rescinded  I do agree though that Managers often see the game better from the stands. Can’t remember which manager adopted that for the first half of a game , but I think it was a premier league team.Gives them a good overview and not at ground level, which is often where players lose out because we as the fans have a panoramic view and they of course can only see to the front and sides (and of course only one side at a time)

2 hours ago, La Plage said:

Ive often wondered why, and especially when a team is struggling, that the manager/coach doesn't sit up in the stands to get a better perspective on the game, formation and players' performance.

1 hour ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Probably because LJ over complicates and keeps changing tactics and team selections from game to game. Footballers are not University graduate standard, they all have their skills in the positions they usually play in and over complicating coaching is imo having a negative effect on these players.

I think this could be very close to the truth.
When LJ first joined, one thing I liked was he was keen to learn and to look at tactics and new ideas. On the downside of this, it seems like he hasn't managed to form a focused idea of how he wants the team to play, style, system, formation there doesn't seem to be an actual idea of how he wants us to go about the game. Bielsa is the polar opposite. The team are set up, they know how they will play and everyone is focused on their job. Someone comes into the team, he knows exactly what he has to do, we are light years away from that right now.

20 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Ive often wondered why, and especially when a team is struggling, that the manager/coach doesn't sit up in the stands to get a better perspective on the game, formation and players' performance.

Never understood how anyone can get a good idea of what is really going on when you are pitch level. I've watched plenty from that view and it is all but impossible to tell what goes on on the far side, and there is no way to see patterns of play. I would have 1 of the coaches in the upper Lansdown just to pass on info to pitch side.

2 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

The few times I've heard him on the radio i thought he was very good.

However, down here in South Devon he'll probably go down as Torquay's worse ever manager.

Strange one, I don't know why it doesn't work out

I never thought his heart was in it TBH. He never seemed to be really up for the challenge whenever he was interviewed. It was a difficult time for the club off the pitch too and I sometimes wonder if he didn`t find out just how bad things really were until after he took the job.

17 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I never thought his heart was in it TBH. He never seemed to be really up for the challenge whenever he was interviewed. It was a difficult time for the club off the pitch too and I sometimes wonder if he didn`t find out just how bad things really were until after he took the job.

Yes it wasn't an easy task. It didn't help his cause when GJ arrived and all of a sudden they were world beaters 

22 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

That is spot on,the club was a complete mess 

1 hour ago, 1960maaan said:

I think this could be very close to the truth.
When LJ first joined, one thing I liked was he was keen to learn and to look at tactics and new ideas. On the downside of this, it seems like he hasn't managed to form a focused idea of how he wants the team to play, style, system, formation there doesn't seem to be an actual idea of how he wants us to go about the game. Bielsa is the polar opposite. The team are set up, they know how they will play and everyone is focused on their job. Someone comes into the team, he knows exactly what he has to do, we are light years away from that right now.

Never understood how anyone can get a good idea of what is really going on when you are pitch level. I've watched plenty from that view and it is all but impossible to tell what goes on on the far side, and there is no way to see patterns of play. I would have 1 of the coaches in the upper Lansdown just to pass on info to pitch side.

The club will have cameras up high left and centre so when Johnson goes through the game after he will see it from every angle,of course that is no good during the game but you would of thought by now he would of caught on 

1 hour ago, joe jordans teeth said:

of course that is no good during the game

That's the thing I don't get, if you had someone up top, they could tell LJ what was going on and how play was shaping up minute by minute. 

5 hours ago, La Plage said:

Out of interest, what things did he note today.

6 hours ago, boatman said:

Think it’s easy to see from a distance the problem.

Owers had moderate success at non league level but by no means outstanding.

I'm really not a Johnson Out member, but isn't this an argument for a change of manager? A new perspective works wonders when the current management team can't see the wood for the trees.

Archived