IGNORED

Nagy and Massengo

ORANGE500

Have Nagy and Massengo shown anything better than Walsh and Morrell did in their brief appearances when selected, its poor management and recruitment to bring in players who appear to be  no better than we already had in the squad but were never given a decent run in the team by the manager.

1 minute ago, ORANGE500 said:

Have Nagy and Massengo shown anything better than Walsh and Morrell did in their brief appearances when selected, its poor management and recruitment to bring in players who appear to be  no better than we already had in the squad but were never given a decent run in the team by the manager.

Here's the rub, both Nagy and Massengo looked like real quality in the first few games they played. The fact they are now 'hiding' from taking the ball on at all, I suspect is more to with the 'quality' of our combined coaches, than any lack of ability.

LJ, Macca and Holden all need to be shown the door.

1 minute ago, old_eastender said:

Here's the rub, both Nagy and Massengo looked like real quality in the first few games they played. The fact they are now 'hiding' from taking the ball on at all, I suspect is more to with the 'quality' of our combined coaches, than any lack of ability.

Agreed

3 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

It's a bit harsh on Massengo, he's only 18 after all and you'd expect him to have a poor run of form at some point at that age (as Lloyd Kelly did last year), but he's obviously a class player

It's been a pattern for a long time caused by inferior management appointments. Exciting, talented players come to us and have the excitement and talent coached out of them by trying to follow confusing, ever-changing instructions by our "coaching staff"

Anyone agree with me that Bristol City have only had one manager of note. AD. 

(Yeah, we all love Terry Cooper)

3 minutes ago, ORANGE500 said:

Can you just point out all the posts when we signed them, what terrible signings they are and not needed, everyone was creaming their pants.

Thought they looked poor today, Massengo seems to have lost confidence since the Brownhill hospital pass that lead to a goal.

1 minute ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

Can you just point out all the posts when we signed them, what terrible signings they are and not needed, everyone was creaming their pants.

Thought they looked poor today, Massengo seems to have lost confidence since the Brownhill hospital pass that lead to a goal.

It's hardly surprising when he got blamed publicly by his manager for that.

8 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Spot on!

5 minutes ago, southvillekiddy said:

It's been a pattern for a long time caused by inferior management appointments. Exciting, talented players come to us and have the excitement and talent coached out of them by trying to follow confusing, ever-changing instructions by our "coaching staff"

Spot on!

4 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Nagy and Massengo are good players. Its pretty obvious why they look so bad right now!

Agreed. ;)

5 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

They’re good technical footballers, that you can see. However I’d like them both to be more brave in certain areas.

It’s all too cautious and slow for me.

No one seems to play with any freedom. All seem more likely to turn back, play safe than do something positive. Can’t help feeling that either team instructions or a fear of failure.... eaithhrr way it’s a coaching issue. 

From what I've seen of Massengo earlier in the season I was impressed with his ability to break up attacks in midfield. He had plenty of energy and, for a young lad, got stuck in and won plenty of balls by battling well.

My issue with him was that he didn't seem to know what do with the ball once he'd won it. He always looked for a short easy pass which slowed down the transition from defence to attack. What I would have like him to do is look to run with the ball more, create a bit more space and bring more options into the attack. 

It sounds though from the comments being made today thst he is no longer breaking up the play. With our extremely shakey defence they will miss having someone do that. 

27 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Nagy was really poor today, Massengo was ok in what was a poor team performance overall.

For 21 minutes we played Eliasson, Watkins and Palmer in their wrong positions imho. Eliasson RW instead of LW. Watkins CF instead of RW. Palmer LW instead of CAM/10.

Eliasson always positions himself too far forward when he plays RW, and not in contact with his own RB.

Palmer too advanced too.

Nagy and Massengo isolated and also distant from our CBs. But where were the angles they created and looked so good in during their early games with us gone.

22 mins until 45 (h-t), magically Eliasson goes LW, Watkins RW, Palmer no10, in a 4411. Guess what?  We started to play better. Watkins linking with Pereira. Eliasson with Dasilva. Palmer on the ball being influential, importantly in the final third. We go 1-0 and look more in control. But brilliant but better.

Start of second half. Watkins then Weimann LW, Eliasson RW. It stays that way all half. Eliasson and Pereira look like strangers. Giles gets at Pedro because Eliasson is poor defending when RW (he knows where to go when LW).

We escape with a draw.  We were lucky

Im no coach, but if you play players out of position you get the kind of performance we saw today.

Sitting on the fence became very painful today.

I wish I was in earshot of the coaching team today, unfortunately my shouting fell in deaf ears in section A4.

Players at fault too, but you can see their confidence ebbing away.

Well played Shrewsbury by the way. 

Both were shocking today as was Perierra. Massengo hides and Nagy just goes backwards when not getting caught on the ball. Every single player is regressing at moment & clearly you can only look at the coaching team who have turned really promising people into liabilities.  What the hell are they doing in trainings?

49 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

It's a bit harsh on Massengo, he's only 18 after all and you'd expect him to have a poor run of form at some point at that age (as Lloyd Kelly did last year), but he's obviously a class player

Yes he's only 18 but he is not any better than what we already had in the squad has he or Nagy come close to Walsh's performance against Stoke last year? but Johnson did his  usual trick  selected for next game but then back on the bench thereafter instead of a decent run in the team, the present midfield is the most boring and unentertaining we've seen in many years 

18 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Both were shocking today as was Perierra. Massengo hides and Nagy just goes backwards when not getting caught on the ball. Every single player is regressing at moment & clearly you can only look at the coaching team who have turned really promising people into liabilities.  What the hell are they doing in trainings?

Presumably watching drone footage of box entries, being ordered not to do anything involving flair or creativity, defending their ******* zones and trying desperately to stick to LH’s stats based game plan.

it looks to me like our players are frantically trying to rack their brains recalling what their instructions are when the game is going on around them. LJ Seems to have sucked all the spontaneity and verve out of them with his baffling orders...

we just hear the post match interview waffling, imagine being a player and listening to that shit 6 days a week...

Nagy (who I do like btw) was just unbelievably bad today. He looks completely shot in terms of mentality and confidence. He doesn’t want the ball and he’s taking twice as long to try and get it under control as he was earlier in the season. 

Morrell would be a far better option.

What struck me most today was the lack of options when we were on the ball.   When players aren’t busting a gut to find space then it can often make the ball carrier look poor....Massengo was looking, as he is a decent heads-up player but the only option he had most of the time was to sweep it left or right to someone on the flank....so easy to defend against.

The only players who put a shift in were Massengo and Deidhou in my opinion.  Not one player looked as though they could compete for a place in a premier league team.....that is worrying for a team with ambitions.

47 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nagy was really poor today, Massengo was ok in what was a poor team performance overall.

For 21 minutes we played Eliasson, Watkins and Palmer in their wrong positions imho. Eliasson RW instead of LW. Watkins CF instead of RW. Palmer LW instead of CAM/10.

Eliasson always positions himself too far forward when he plays RW, and not in contact with his own RB.

Palmer too advanced too.

Nagy and Massengo isolated and also distant from our CBs. But where were the angles they created and looked so good in during their early games with us gone.

22 mins until 45 (h-t), magically Eliasson goes LW, Watkins RW, Palmer no10, in a 4411. Guess what?  We started to play better. Watkins linking with Pereira. Eliasson with Dasilva. Palmer on the ball being influential, importantly in the final third. We go 1-0 and look more in control. But brilliant but better.

Start of second half. Watkins then Weimann LW, Eliasson RW. It stays that way all half. Eliasson and Pereira look like strangers. Giles gets at Pedro because Eliasson is poor defending when RW (he knows where to go when LW).

We escape with a draw.  We were lucky

Im no coach, but if you play players out of position you get the kind of performance we saw today.

Sitting on the fence became very painful today.

I wish I was in earshot of the coaching team today, unfortunately my shouting fell in deaf ears in section A4.

Players at fault too, but you can see their confidence ebbing away.

Well played Shrewsbury by the way. 

He's lost dressing room so clear after the Charlton boxing day defeat..... it won't get better until he's gone.. 

Confidence has been drained from the players, especially as many of them seem stifled and uncomfortable with what is being required of them by the coaches. Are we a team? No. And that’s the biggest problem. Teams of less good players will often do better than more talented individuals who don’t play well together. Our play off season under GJ was evidence of that.

Good players don’t become bad overnight, but their form can seriously dip if they have little or no confidence in what they are being asked to play. Too many players not playing their natural or best positions, plus it’s all too cautious, probably because players don’t want to be singled out for blame afterwards, all of which leads to the dire performances that we have seen recently.

Can LJ, Macca and Holden turn it around? All the evidence of the last few weeks would say no. I am not sure if pressure from SL on their positions would make things better or worse, but given the expectations that he set this season, even his renowned patience might be wearing thin if he’s been watching the same dross as the rest of us.

Archived