IGNORED

Explain that / Deafening silence (Merged)

Robin Wood

7 minutes ago, pillred said:

Really!! you must have the patience of a saint, unfortunately your remark we are on a bad run it happens, yes far too bl**dy often!

To add a bit of context (as I did in another thread);

This season we had a run of 10 unbeaten games.

18/19 we had a run of 13 unbeaten games with 7 wins on the spin

17/18 we had a run of 10 unbeaten games followed by an 11 run unbeaten with 8 wins

The problem being the lack of consistency as we also had a bad run of results in each season.

But to think that it is bad runs of results only is wrong.

4 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It happens to almost every side in the Championship, look at PNE, Fulham, SHeff.Wed who have all had poor spells recently, on the flip side Hull, Boro and Reading have recently put good runs together. We don't have a divine right to be top-6 at this level it is an incredibly tough league and a bit of perspective is needed at times.

I think four years of long winless runs is enough perspective! 

26 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Whatever the man says it feels like this forum will look to pick it apart and use it against him. It does feel like a continuation of the abuse he got as a player and the stick he gets is much more intense and comes for lesser reasons than any manager I can remember in the 25 years I've followed City.

We are on a bad run, it happens, if we sack a manager everytime it happens we will go through  managers like nobodies business. I don't think his position is or should be under threat at present, the earliest we should be having any discussions of this nature is the end of this season.

Agreed 100%

1 minute ago, kivsy said:

Indeed - LJ's critics don't lack perspective - a top 6 place is there for the taking with a better manager getting better performances from a squad with top 6 potential.  But the opportunity is slipping away.

2 minutes ago, kivsy said:

And bringing in another manager within the same division with the same group of players is 100% guaranteed to eradicte this is it?

We are not at the level of WBA / Leeds  / Villa where a top six finish should be the bare minimum expactation at this level, look at the sides in and around us i.e. Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest, Birmingham most of which have spent much longer historically at this level (or above) and even they struggle to nail down a consistent top-6 finish year on year and no doubt go on similar good / bad runs to ourselves IMO that is true perspective.

The exceptions to the rule are the likes of Brentford this year and Sheffield United before them but remeber they are the exception not the rule.

1 minute ago, Dolman_Stand said:

And bringing in another manager within the same division with the same group of players is 100% guaranteed to eradicte this is it?

We are not at the level of WBA / Leeds  / Villa where a top six finish should be the bare minimum expactation at this level, look at the sides in and around us i.e. Fulham, Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Middlesbrough, Forest, Birmingham most of which have spent much longer historically at this level (or above) and even they struggle to nail down a consistent top-6 finish year on year and no doubt go on similar good / bad runs to ourselves IMO that is true perspective.

The exceptions to the rule are the likes of Brentford this year and Sheffield United before them but remeber they are the exception not the rule.

Too much is put on league position a lot of people are sick to death of how we play we incredibly boring, we have no way of playing, the buck stops with lj , Johnson out.

Anyone listening to LJ’s press conference would think that City’s performance was quite good. Just a bit unlucky because the squad has been put together on a shoestring and is so small that nobody has been able to have a rest. He chose to ignore the fact that the performance was dire and Shrewsbury, a mid table League 1 team, was far better. 

5 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

well...sticking with the same manager is 100% proven not to! This season is our chance. Lets not blow it.

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Anyone listening to LJ’s press conference would think that City’s performance was quite good. Just a bit unlucky because the squad has been put together on a shoestring and is so small that nobody has been able to have a rest. He chose to ignore the fact that the performance was dire and Shrewsbury, a mid table League 1 team, was far better. 

I think he actually believes his own bullshit, he’s the David Brent of football.

5 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

Too much is put on league position a lot of people are sick to death of how we play we incredibly boring, we have no way of playing, the buck stops with lj , Johnson out.

Unfortunately we are constantly playing the football he played during his playing time here, sideways back sideways back sideways back sideways back sideways back, keeper wooooooooooshhhhhh!!

No penetration, utter crap but good stats, well the stats don’t lie today against and average L1 team.

Get the 3 of em out

10 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Posted those stats elsewhere - and no come backs at all.

Nada.

From Wikipedia:

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position. It is a kind of fallacy of selective attention, the most common example of which is the confirmation bias.[1][2] Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally. This fallacy is a major problem in public debate.[3]

47 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

Whatever the man says it feels like this forum will look to pick it apart and use it against him. It does feel like a continuation of the abuse he got as a player and the stick he gets is much more intense and comes for lesser reasons than any manager I can remember in the 25 years I've followed City.

We are on a bad run, it happens, if we sack a manager everytime it happens we will go through  managers like nobodies business. I don't think his position is or should be under threat at present, the earliest we should be having any discussions of this nature is the end of this season.

Amen brother

10 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

This has much more influence on my thinking. We have no defined playing style and have played pedestrian football at home for so long I have to assume it is intentional.

24 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Indeed - LJ's critics don't lack perspective - a top 6 place is there for the taking with a better manager getting better performances from a squad with top 6 potential.  But the opportunity is slipping away.

Top 6 POTENTIAL. 

Exactly - potential being the crucial word. We are not a top 6 squad and so to be in and around that area for 2-3 seasons is testament to the coaching job that the manager is doing. 

Arguably, for me at least, of this squad only Bentley is CURRENTLY of top 6 quality. 
The rest may have potential be have top 6 quality but are not currently. 

Who else from our squad would currently be a regular in the top 6 teams? 

It matters not the amount of money that’s been spent. We’ve not brought in top 6 oven ready quality. So money aside, our fans need to exercise patience and reality.  

3 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Sounds like a man who talks total cr@p.

They need a rest? Wtf. These are supposed to be highly trained fit athletes.

The only thing that they need a rest from is from wonder boy's b/s.

And yet pretty much every manager going, including the best in the business, are saying that players are playing too many minutes, particularly at this time of year.

Shall I tell them they are wrong or will you? ?

He’s been here 4 years , spent millions , brought his own players in , not even a play off season , why does he talk about getting to the prem when under his leadership we haven’t even come close ? 
this club currently sees success if 

A) we finish 1 league place higher

B) score a goal more than last year

are these the small margins that will take us to the prem ? 

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

And yet pretty much every manager going, including the best in the business, are saying that players are playing too many minutes, particularly at this time of year.

Oh, go on then, you tell them.

Btw we're discussing our head coach, the nonsensical sound bites he comes out with, our performances and the dismal display today. Totally outplayed by Shrewsbury.

You may agree with him, I don't.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

And those same managers are the ones who when they do get a week off take their players to some god-forbidden, cash-rich wasteland to play exhibition fixtures.

It's also funny how ex pros who won things relate that, when winning, two games a week is preferable to training. 

Then again WeeLee cracks on how great and talented everybody is in training so perhaps he overworks them leaving nothing left for matchday?

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Top 6 POTENTIAL. 

Exactly - potential being the crucial word. We are not a top 6 squad and so to be in and around that area for 2-3 seasons is testament to the coaching job that the manager is doing. 

Arguably, for me at least, of this squad only Bentley is CURRENTLY of top 6 quality. 
The rest may have potential be have top 6 quality but are not currently. 

Who else from our squad would currently be a regular in the top 6 teams? 

It matters not the amount of money that’s been spent. We’ve not brought in top 6 oven ready quality. So money aside, our fans need to exercise patience and reality.  

The reality is we’re shocking to watch, this squad of players is capable of playing decent football, our style is down to lj and it’s not acceptable.

4 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

And those same managers are the ones who when they do get a week off take their players to some god-forbidden, cash-rich wasteland to play exhibition fixtures.

It's also funny how ex pros who won things relate that, when winning, two games a week is preferable to training. 

Then again WeeLee cracks on how great and talented everybody is in training so perhaps he overworks them leaving nothing left for matchday?

I think you will find the managers concerned don't much like those money spinning games, nor the pre-season tours designed for marketing purposes rather than preparation.

Liverpool are winning game after game yet Klopp is still unhappy with the number of games.

Overall I think LJ has lost control of the situation, much as SC and SO'D did before him, but that doesn't render everything he says wrong. Nor do I think it justifies calling him childish names.

41 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It happens to almost every side in the Championship, look at PNE, Fulham, SHeff.Wed who have all had poor spells recently, on the flip side Hull, Boro and Reading have recently put good runs together. We don't have a divine right to be top-6 at this level it is an incredibly tough league and a bit of perspective is needed at times.

Shrewsbury are in the division below last time I looked.

We put out a very strong side looking to win it and didn’t.

Worse , pundits with absolutely no axe to grind called our performance an embarrassment and said we were outplayed by the Shrews .

Did anyone mention that in the after match presser ? 

1 hour ago, Banjo Red said:

30 seconds it took him to get the Shrewsbury had more time off and also had a pop at the players excuses in. Smug cheesy grinned ****** get him gone.

I thought I’d “fact check” his Shrewsbury had 10 days off comment. The played on Saturday so no different to us having a midweek game and them not... happens all the time. 

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

The reality is we’re shocking to watch, this squad of players is capable of playing decent football, our style is down to lj and it’s not acceptable.

I agree that we’re poor to watch at the moment. But as you say, this squad is capable of playing decent football, but reality is, at the moment the squad is NOT of top 6 quality. 
So perhaps the manager is being pragmatic with his tactics based on the quality of the squad and to have us around the top 10 for the last 3 years is perhaps a success given the squad he has. 
Perhaps he wants to play expansive football like we all desire, but maybe he thinks that with this squad, if he did open up then we’d get slaughtered. So perhaps that’s what’s determining his pragmatic style currently. 

He certainly didn’t operate quite so pragmatically 2 seasons ago when we had better players in certain positions that were key to the style he wanted. 

So yes, I agree that the home performances are dull. But perhaps that’s because the manager is trying to keep us as high in the league as possible rather than getting tanked every week? 

All just perhaps. And maybe not many other fans opinion. But it’s mine. This squad is not of top 6 quality - Bentley aside. 

Archived