IGNORED

Explain that / Deafening silence (Merged)

Robin Wood

1 hour ago, Dolman_Stand said:

It happens to almost every side in the Championship, look at PNE, Fulham, SHeff.Wed who have all had poor spells recently, on the flip side Hull, Boro and Reading have recently put good runs together. We don't have a divine right to be top-6 at this level it is an incredibly tough league and a bit of perspective is needed at times.

Other teams having a rough patch is of zero interest to City fans, and why should it. We watched this team achieve it's potential and rise up the league and then witnessed an inexplicably bad downturn of form. Saying, "it happens" doesn't help the analysis.

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

To add a bit of context (as I did in another thread);

This season we had a run of 10 unbeaten games.

18/19 we had a run of 13 unbeaten games with 7 wins on the spin

17/18 we had a run of 10 unbeaten games followed by an 11 run unbeaten with 8 wins

The problem being the lack of consistency as we also had a bad run of results in each season.

But to think that it is bad runs of results only is wrong.

Again, just because we achieve our potential for a period each season, why should we accept falling way below our potential for long periods? Crazy logic. 

Also an unbeaten run in which we play poorly, overacheive versus stats and needlessly drop points isn't something to glorify.

Conclusion... any rational fans will tell you that they have witnessed poor quality and are unhappy with the league position. The direction of travel is naturally, and rationally, concerning. 

15 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

how do you know which players want to take the rest and which will put in additional work?

Well, given WeeLee's delivered 'periods of malaise' lasting two to three months how the hell will 3 or 4 days rest make any difference?  Sure as hell players don't recover 'lost' skills by sitting on their backsides. Fact is many of the examples he's quoted at City haven't lost talent, they never had it in the first place.

30 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’d like to see the reaction on here if we went hell for leather - getting red and yellow cards plus injuries, to beat a lower league team in a cup game. 

Sorry lads - whilst I always want us to win, I’m not that bothered about the cup - although it did give our reserves a runout I suppose.....

I LOVED our victory over Man U that time, but I would trade it for promotion any day of the week. 

Hardly our reserves was it haha

1 hour ago, glen humphries said:

If you believe the squad is not top 6 quality then lj has wasted millions, kalas 8 million, fammy 5 million plus, poor lj he’s trying to work on a shoestring 

Not saying it’s shoestring - a lot of money has been spent for sure. But that’s Ashton, not LJ. 
Do I think that money has been spent wisely? Absolutely not.
We’ve got a few who may improve (potential) and we may get value out of them and a larger fee moving them on. But many of the incomings are not ‘potential’ stars, they’re the here and now and are as good as they’re gonna get. 
I firmly believe we have not spent wisely and now have an expensive and large squad, only 1 of which is currently a top 6 quality player. 

4 minutes ago, mozo said:

Again, just because we achieve our potential for a period each season, why should we accept falling way below our potential for long periods? Crazy logic. 

Also an unbeaten run in which we play poorly, overacheive versus stats and needlessly drop points isn't something to glorify.

Conclusion... any rational fans will tell you that they have witnessed poor quality and are unhappy with the league position. The direction of travel is naturally, and rationally, concerning. 

I didn't say or indicate that anyone should accept "falling way below our potential for long periods" is acceptable. 

I just offered some context with the runs of very good results which most just conveniently ignore - its only ever been poor runs of results, never good. Which is obviously bollocks.

The problem is the lack of consistency imo - if we hadn't the boom and bust runs of results, people wouldn't be so wound up (other than the permanently negative element on here and the ones who have never accepted Johnson, they'll always find something).

I share your concern regarding the current poor quality and the current direction of travel and I'll have a rant about it now and then myself. But I certainly aint going to lose any sleep over it and will continue to have rational conversations with some on here (including your good self) mates and blokes in the local rather than some of the irrational, semi literate, puerile knuckle draggers on here whose only input to debate is get rid of the dwarf etc etc etc. 

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

I’d like to see the reaction on here if we went hell for leather - getting red and yellow cards plus injuries, to beat a lower league team in a cup game. 

Sorry lads - whilst I always want us to win, I’m not that bothered about the cup - although it did give our reserves a runout I suppose.....

I LOVED our victory over Man U that time, but I would trade it for promotion any day of the week. 

But by not getting the job done today we’ve added an extra game to the season, more opportunity to get cards and injuries if we follow your logic!

I’m sure nobody believes we will win the cup, and of course we wouldn’t trade it for promotion ( not that we are in any way ready for that), but today was a chance to try new things and resore a bit of confidence. Now all we got is an extra game and more unrest as fans ( and maybe players) look around and think Shrewsbury had the better of us for large periods of the game.

Nobody likes to lose to opposition lower that themselves, so get through to the next round, maybe draw a bigger, higher placed, club and then I would happily be defeated  so we can concentrate on the league and our future. 

2 hours ago, kivsy said:

He’s been here 4 years , spent millions , brought his own players in , not even a play off season , why does he talk about getting to the prem when under his leadership we haven’t even come close ? 
this club currently sees success if 

A) we finish 1 league place higher

B) score a goal more than last year

are these the small margins that will take us to the prem ? 

Kivsy, supporters my age may not be here in 2035 :ill:

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Any manager who doesn’t play or leaves out the 2nd most creative player in the league deserves the sack

Deserving the sack may be a bit harsh, but if he now leaves out Eliasson on 11 assists and a couple of goals then its apparent that he's lost it.

There is a growing partnership there with Dasilva (bit off today but its there) and that deserves a bit of time to develop further.

There's also a good partnership with Hunt and Watkins (again, a bit off last time out) and that also deserves a bit of time.

Stop faffing around LJ and settle on a pattern of play with more or less the same individuals with a bit of rotation so that everyone knows exactly what they are doing. All this changing formation three times a game and from game to game has to stop if he wants to keep his job.

15 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Deserving the sack may be a bit harsh, but if he now leaves out Eliasson on 11 assists and a couple of goals then its apparent that he's lost it.

There is a growing partnership there with Dasilva (bit off today but its there) and that deserves a bit of time to develop further.

There's also a good partnership with Hunt and Watkins (again, a bit off last time out) and that also deserves a bit of time.

Stop faffing around LJ and settle on a pattern of play with more or less the same individuals with a bit of rotation so that everyone knows exactly what they are doing. All this changing formation three times a game and from game to game has to stop if he wants to keep his job.

Without eliasons assists surely we would be bottom 6 without a doubt maybe lower

7 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Without eliasons assists surely we would be bottom 6 without a doubt maybe lower

2 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I doubt it - but no doubt someone will work it out.

Without his assists we would be 7 points worse off, putting us 17th. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Not saying it’s shoestring - a lot of money has been spent for sure. But that’s Ashton, not LJ. 
We’ve got a few who may improve (potential) and we may get value out of them and a larger fee moving them on. But many of the incomings are not ‘potential’ stars, they’re the here and now and are as good as they’re gonna get. 
I firmly believe we have not spent wisely and now have an expensive and large squad, only 1 of which is currently a top 6 quality player. 

You’ve got no faith in lj to improve them then.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Are you saying LJ has no say in transfers ? That MA signs all the players with no input from LJ ? That is not what LJ said to the media, and is not what SL said either . As your views are to be respected, this is a very significant point, and is something that rapidly needs clarifying. Clearly LJ and SL were telling porkies then. I struggle to believe SL signs off a spend on player LJ tells him he does not rate or want. That is very unlike SL. But, maybe this is why we look a shambles. 

It is notable how MA talks about his recruitment team, and his signings in interviews (before correcting himself) Whilst at a modern club, the DOF will be the person maintaining the continuity (coaches come and go, look at Brentford) . But MA is not a DOF and has limited knowledge of football coaching/playing or how to define the footballing identity of the club. His job should be to complete the commercial deals or provide the data for the experts to analyse. If this is not happening, then we have both a limited ability head coach and a missing  "DOF" .

Needs a clear out asap .  Club has a good base,  but needs an injection of higher ability coaching and management. It is a L1/lower championship based set up. Not an organisation to take the club to the next level. 

2 minutes ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

..... and Bentley’s saves

Especially up until more recently. Bentley's form has dipped, but only slightly and has totally coincided with the team performances.

Not been Bentley's fault much, in my opinion. Still a great signing and for that I credit BCFC.

21 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

You’ve got no faith in lj to improve them then.

I have faith in him to improve those who are young enough and good enough to ‘be’ improved. 
Many of the signings are at their ceiling already and can’t be improved further. 
LJ improved Reid. Improved Bryan. Improved Webster. Brownhill has improved under his watch. Diedhiou is a significantly better player now than when he first arrived. 
So yes, LJ is a good coach and does improve players. 
What I meant by my previous post was that there are not enough players being signed who are already at their ceiling AND good enough for top 6. Weimann is a good player, but he won’t get any better and isn’t a top 6 player. Likewise Nagy. Likewise Hunt. Likewise Baker. 

19 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

Are you saying LJ has no say in transfers ? That MA signs all the players with no input from LJ ? That is not what LJ said to the media, and is not what SL said either . As your views are to be respected, this is a very significant point, and is something that rapidly needs clarifying. Clearly LJ and SL were telling porkies then. I struggle to believe SL signs off a spend on player LJ tells him he does not rate or want. That is very unlike SL. But, maybe this is why we look a shambles. 

It is notable how MA talks about his recruitment team, and his signings in interviews (before correcting himself) Whilst at a modern club, the DOF will be the person maintaining the continuity (coaches come and go, look at Brentford) . But MA is not a DOF and has limited knowledge of football coaching/playing or how to define the footballing identity of the club. His job should be to complete the commercial deals or provide the data for the experts to analyse. If this is not happening, then we have both a limited ability head coach and a missing  "DOF" .

Needs a clear out asap .  Club has a good base,  but needs an injection of higher ability coaching and management. It is a L1/lower championship based set up. Not an organisation to take the club to the next level. 

Yes I am saying LJ has only a minor say. We operate a DOF structure. See my post under the ‘trimming squad’ thread. MA is a DOF. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

I have faith in him to improve those who are young enough and good enough to ‘be’ improved. 
Many of the signings are at their ceiling already and can’t be improved further. 
LJ improved Reid. Improved Bryan. Improved Webster. Brownhill has improved under his watch. Diedhiou is a significantly better player now than when he first arrived. 
What I meant by my previous post was that there are not enough players being signed who are already at their ceiling AND good enough for top 6. Weimann is a good player, but he won’t get any better and isn’t a top 6 player. Likewise Nagy. Likewise Hunt. Likewise Baker. 

Yes I am saying LJ has only a minor say. We operate a DOF structure. See my post under the ‘trimming squad’ thread. MA is a DOF. 

If DOF is our director of football then he has to go as well as LJ. The pair of them are inadequate. 

18 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

If DOF is our director of football then he has to go as well as LJ. The pair of them are inadequate. 

Fair. 
Personally I think LJ has earned enough rope to be given at the very least til the end of this season. 
He has improved players with his coaching and has diligently worked within the structure with little complaint, whilst attaining year on year league table improvement despite his best players being sold and not replaced adequately, meaning he’s had to change his style and system. 
MA on the the other hand has not recruited well, in my opinion. 

4 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Bristol City head coach Lee Johnson told BBC Radio Bristol: "They [Shrewsbury] deserved a replay. They were strong.

"They hit us on the counter well, through a little bit of our sloppiness at times.

"At 1-0 up, I thought that might have been over the line, our 'goal' that was sort of bundled off the line.

"But I'm pleased we're in the hat, I'll be honest with you. It was always going to be a tough match, given the run of games we've had and the fact they had a 10-day rest. It adds up."

Meh... Knobber

10 days???? They played on the 29th December, I’m no mathematician but I make that 5 days?  

1 hour ago, bcfc01 said:

It was only evidenced for 24 minutes today....our best spell of the game (mins 21-45).

I’ve long said that Hunt usually plays well with Watkins in front of him.

37 minutes ago, Harry said:

I think Diedhiou has regressed in some areas, but I’m nit-picking.

So the players were physically and mentally fatigued.  And Shrewsburys players and Brentfords were not? How does he explain that?

I don't mind if a manager cannot do interviews or that he spouts b*"""""t provided he produces the results he is paid to produce.

It certainly sounds like the problems are at management level and LJ seems to be running out of ideas and solutions (assuming he had any in the first place.

Lee now needs to put forward credible and measurable plans to resolve the situation within a realistic timescale or face the inevitable consequences.

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

10 days???? They played on the 29th December, I’m no mathematician but I make that 5 days?

Have you not clocked yet that WeeLee occupies a parallel universe where all things being relative time matters not and we're playing high-quality, entertaining football, winning everything?

3 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

So the players were physically and mentally fatigued

So would i be after a few weeks working with boy blunder, now they have four days rest, i would respectfully suggest that Johnson takes the rest..about forty years should suffice, just go you chancer.

11 hours ago, AppyDAZE said:

Especially up until more recently. Bentley's form has dipped, but only slightly and has totally coincided with the team performances.

Not been Bentley's fault much, in my opinion. Still a great signing and for that I credit BCFC.

I’m just wondering if his domestic situation is intruding a bit on his professional life.

I think his performances have dipped since their baby was born .

Perhaps it’s time to give Nikki a bit of a run .

15 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Palmer played well and thats what he said, also mentioned Moore in good light.

There's enough to be going on about without picking up nuances which aren't there imo.

Totally agree.

He gets slated for "throwing players under the bus".

He gets slated for "ass licking" praise.

He can't f'kin win with some on here!

:dunno:

13 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

I think he’s a coach not a manager / head coach. He needs a proper manager above him who picks the formation , philosophy of the football and team . Tell him how he wants a team to play , then let him coach . A manager , especially man manager he ain’t 

He has to go, as a coach he is a failure, in fact he fails in every department!

its said on here he loves the club, that can’t be true , he loves the fact he is in charge of the clubs players - hopefully not much longer, he is killing off any hope of success and has been for some time. 

Archived