IGNORED

Explain that / Deafening silence (Merged)

Robin Wood

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

And yet pretty much every manager going, including the best in the business, are saying that players are playing too many minutes, particularly at this time of year.

Shall I tell them they are wrong or will you? ?

Every club is playing lots of football at this time of year so surely the tiredness is pretty much the same all round ? 

It’s not great but that’s how it is .

Luckily we have a big squad of talented individuals to avoid being shown up in the cup by a small club in the division below.

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I agree that we’re poor to watch at the moment. But as you say, this squad is capable of playing decent football, but reality is, at the moment the squad is NOT of top 6 quality. 
So perhaps the manager is being pragmatic with his tactics based on the quality of the squad and to have us around the top 10 for the last 3 years is perhaps a success given the squad he has. 
Perhaps he wants to play expansive football like we all desire, but maybe he thinks that with this squad, if he did open up then we’d get slaughtered. So perhaps that’s what’s determining his pragmatic style currently. 

He certainly didn’t operate quite so pragmatically 2 seasons ago when we had better players in certain positions that were key to the style he wanted. 

So yes, I agree that the home performances are dull. But perhaps that’s because the manager is trying to keep us as high in the league as possible rather than getting tanked every week? 

All just perhaps. And maybe not many other fans opinion. But it’s mine. This squad is not of top 6 quality - Bentley aside. 

If you believe the squad is not top 6 quality then lj has wasted millions, kalas 8 million, fammy 5 million plus, poor lj he’s trying to work on a shoestring 

14 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Oh, go on then, you tell them.

Btw we're discussing our head coach, the nonsensical sound bites he comes out with, our performances and the dismal display today. Totally outplayed by Shrewsbury.

You may agree with him, I don't.

I disagree with much of what he does and says but it doesn't follow that he is always wrong.

I tend to think too much is made of managers' post match comments in general. They are often bland or completely empty of content, incoherent ramblings or just plain rants. They can't win really.

This group of players is capable of much more than we are actually seeing from them. Some of that may well be down to individuals being out of form, and it would be reasonable to question why that might be. 

What is more clear to anyone who has watched football regularly for a long time is that we are less than the sum of our parts. That is down to the coaching and management.

The best coaches and managers can produce teams from players who may not be the best players individually, but played in the right way, with the right teammates, in a formation that suits their playing styles, can produce results. Did the Nottingham Forest team of the late 70s have the best players in Europe when they became European champions? In one or 2 cases maybe (Shilton, Francis) but most were decent but not exceptional players. The difference was the coaching and management from Clough and Taylor. Did it work at Leeds? No because there were too many egos, but they had earlier achieved the same trick at Derby when winning the league.

Ok so that’s quite the comparison for LJ, but how come Daniel Farke took just 2 seasons to get Norwich promoted? Chris Wilder has managed to get Sheffield United from League 1 to the Premier League in 4 years. In the same time, LJ has got us from near the bottom of the Championship to mid table in the Championship after spending millions on players. The evidence so far suggests that he could be here for another 10 years and we wouldn’t be any closer to promotion. He has achieved nothing in the league and he doesn’t look like he ever will.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I disagree with much of what he does and says but it doesn't follow that he is always wrong.

I tend to think too much is made of managers' post match comments in general. They are often bland or completely empty of content, incoherent ramblings or just plain rants. They can't win really.

I’d have more time for lj if now and again he stopped the bullshit and admitted he got it wrong or we were poor .

26 minutes ago, glen humphries said:

I think he actually believes his own bullshit, he’s the David Brent of football.

If you look at knowledgeable youtube vloggers ( like the excellent Ben Bloom , Ben Hd etc.) they have no axe to grind but basically call out LJ's style  as laughable, Brent-esque twaddle  So it's not just us that find it embarrassing and totally "out there" !

2 minutes ago, Dr Balls said:

This group of players is capable of much more than we are actually seeing from them. Some of that may well be down to individuals being out of form, and it would be reasonable to question why that might be. 

What is more clear to anyone who has watched football regularly for a long time is that we are less than the sum of our parts. That is down to the coaching and management.

The best coaches and managers can produce teams from players who may not be the best players individually, but played in the right way, with the right teammates, in a formation that suits their playing styles, can produce results. Did the Nottingham Forest team of the late 70s have the best players in Europe when they became European champions? In one or 2 cases maybe (Shilton, Francis) but most were decent but not exceptional players. The difference was the coaching and management from Clough and Taylor. Did it work at Leeds? No because there were too many egos, but they had earlier achieved the same trick at Derby when winning the league.

Ok so that’s quite the comparison for LJ, but how come Daniel Farke took just 2 seasons to get Norwich promoted? Chris Wilder has managed to get Sheffield United from League 1 to the Premier League in 4 years. In the same time, LJ has got us from near the bottom of the Championship to mid table in the Championship after spending millions on players. The evidence so far suggests that he could be here for another 10 years and we wouldn’t be any closer to promotion. He has achieved nothing in the league and he doesn’t look like he ever will.

Great post, spot on .

1 minute ago, glen humphries said:

If you believe the squad is not top 6 quality then lj has wasted millions, kalas 8 million, fammy 5 million plus, poor lj he’s trying to work on a shoestring 

This squad is easily a top 6 squad if played to its strengths.

We've been in the top 6 as often as out of it this season (without checking, just feels that way).

In fact a case could be made out for probably 10 or 11 clubs who could, on paper, have top 6 squads - but not all of them can end up there obviously.

Very even division imo and people make the mistake of looking at the players we and others have rather than the team and how it performs. Do Millwall have a better squad than us ? Probably not, but they may have a better team - certainly at this time.

38 minutes ago, La Plage said:

Unfortunately we are constantly playing the football he played during his playing time here, sideways back sideways back sideways back sideways back sideways back, keeper wooooooooooshhhhhh!!

No penetration, utter crap but good stats, well the stats don’t lie today against and average L1 team.

Get the 3 of em out

Except the stats aren't even good- check them!

47% possession at home to Shrewsbury is terrible! So he's failing on that score...

30 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

If you want to hear another 9 minutes of Johnson post match bullshit, it is up on the BCFC twitter feed. Becoming laughable.

Long ago I stopped listening to or reading his comments.

Not for any particular reason- just sort of happened, fell out the habit etc, but it sounds like I'm not missing much?

5 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

This squad is easily a top 6 squad if played to its strengths.

We've been in the top 6 as often as out of it this season (without checking, just feels that way).

In fact a case could be made out for probably 10 or 11 clubs who could, on paper, have top 6 squads - but not all of them can end up there obviously.

Very even division imo and people make the mistake of looking at the players we and others have rather than the team and how it performs. Do Millwall have a better squad than us ? Probably not, but they may have a better team - certainly at this time.

The change of manager has certainly worked for them. Also Neil Harris demonstrates a lot of honesty when he said that he had nothing more to offer Millwall any more and that it needs a new face managing the team.

Does LJ have that level of insight or is he the “David Brent of football” as suggested on here? I think we know the answer to that!

P.S. Am I the only one that hates the term “the gaffer”? In LJ’s case “the bluffer” seems far closer to the truth!

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Unfortunately nor can the team very often recently.

Fair enough everyone has their own opinion of him, but personally I think he's out of his depth and always has been, some of the things he comes out with are delusional. He has a charmed life with SL in charge, and I suspect he's not going anywhere soon.

33 minutes ago, chinapig said:

This has much more influence on my thinking. We have no defined playing style and have played pedestrian football at home for so long I have to assume it is intentional.

I agree. We seem frightened to lose which makes us frightened to win too. We have many talented, creative players who are stifled and seem to be held back somehow. Massengo for example looked much more exciting in his first few weeks, he like others don’t seem to be enjoying themselves much now. 

Maybe we just need a fresh face or two to bring a bit of hope as even when we have won this season we haven’t played many teams off the park like we should be able to occasionally.

Many on here have suggested it several times (including me). What Johnson needs is a wise head above him to help guide him through the team selection, tactics, strategy, man management, transfer targets, squad management, post match interviews, etc.

Actually, no - just get rid of him as he is useless at all of this!!! 
This club is going nowhere with Johnson at the helm.

4 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Many on here have suggested it several times (including me). What Johnson needs is a wise head above him to help guide him through the team selection, tactics, strategy, man management, transfer targets, squad management, post match interviews, etc.

I think he’s a coach not a manager / head coach. He needs a proper manager above him who picks the formation , philosophy of the football and team . Tell him how he wants a team to play , then let him coach . A manager , especially man manager he ain’t 

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Long ago I stopped listening to or reading his comments.

Not for any particular reason- just sort of happened, fell out the habit etc, but it sounds like I'm not missing much?

I did exactly the same and it’s usually because it’s sound bites and new thought up buzzwords.

Box entries sums it up for me! 

We all seem them plastered on here and in fairness I think loads of managers do it (not just LJ). 

6 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

If you look at knowledgeable youtube vloggers ( like the excellent Ben Bloom , Ben Hd etc.) they have no axe to grind but basically call out LJ's style  as laughable, Brent-esque twaddle  So it's not just us that find it embarrassing and totally "out there" !

Brendan Rodgers has had the same said about him for years, particularly when he was at Liverpool. Even now I can hear him interviewed and come away none the wiser.

Personally I find it hard to keep up with the constantly changing football management speak, of which LJ is far from solely guilty, so I tend to let it pass. It is usually more funny than annoying I find. Most jobs have their own jargon, it's just that football's is in the public domain.

I'm much more concerned about the absence of any clear plan than anything LJ says. I think that goes wider than whoever the Head Coach is though.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Brendan Rodgers has had the same said about him for years, particularly when he was at Liverpool. Even now I can hear him interviewed and come away none the wiser.

Personally I find it hard to keep up with the constantly changing football management speak, of which LJ is far from solely guilty, so I tend to let it pass. It is usually more funny than annoying I find. Most jobs have their own jargon, it's just that football's is in the public domain.

I'm much more concerned about the absence of any clear plan than anything LJ says. I think that goes wider than whoever the Head Coach is though.

Well, exactly,but they mention that too .

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Because having an inability to trap and control the ball will always improve by resting up rather than through repetitive practice, practice, practice.

Funny how those at the top of their game put in the extra hours when others rest up. Golfers who stay out long after sundown until they sink 20 putts on the trot. The Beckhams and Ronaldos who when asked why with all their talent they stay out when training is over, why they come in on days off, respond that when they do so they visualise their next opponent sitting on their a**e and it's that extra effort and dedication that will see them win out when next in battle?

But our players are tired, so time to give it a rest. Well WeeLee, us fans are tired of your bulls**t so do us a favour and take time off yourself, preferably the next few decades.

Tired legs, mental fatigue and knocks and injuries are exactly the reason why players who (presumably as they are at the top of their game) can usually control and pass a ball better than any of us could ever dream of doing suddenly lose the ability to.

how do you know which players want to take the rest and which will put in additional work?

14 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

Having a Head Coach implies there should be a Director of Football, with the kind of experience you suggest.

The reality is that Mark Ashton fills that role. He has some excellent qualities but he is not qualified for that role.

3 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Well, exactly,but they mention that too .

Good, but I find that fixating on whatever LJ happens to say post match becomes a distraction from more important structural issues.

I can't even remember if we currently have a Chief Scout for instance!

I’d like to see the reaction on here if we went hell for leather - getting red and yellow cards plus injuries, to beat a lower league team in a cup game. 

Sorry lads - whilst I always want us to win, I’m not that bothered about the cup - although it did give our reserves a runout I suppose.....

I LOVED our victory over Man U that time, but I would trade it for promotion any day of the week. 

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

Whatever the man says...no matter how incoherent, no matter how poorly we perform, no matter how long the latest losing streak continues...some folk on this forum will always argue that LJ is doing a great job and that despite never having won anything as a manager he'll lead us to glory. And that anyone saying otherwise hated him as a player, hates him now, or is knee-jerk.

It's beyond belief.

Lee Johnson appears out of his depth, yet again he is floundering, despite having a squad with talents his predecessors couldn't have dreamt of. A manager with experience of achieving what the club says it wants to achieve would have this team flying. End of the season and the moment has passed. Get him out now.

EDIT: Just saw your reply above. Much as I respect your views I couldn't disagree more I'm afraid.

We are not on a losing streak.

Archived