IGNORED

Too good to go down?

daored

Are we danger of being sucked into a relegation fight as things stand ?

Two fixtures in January, Wigan (a), Barnsley (h). We’re currently on 38 points and Wigan in 22nd position are on 23 points. Whilst 15 points in a big gap lose those two fixtures and the gap reduces.

With this squad and the money spent on it , we shouldn’t be even considering this. But the way were playing, can we totally rule out a relegation fight as things stand 

19 minutes ago, daored said:

Two fixtures in January, Wigan (a), Barnsley (h). We’re currently on 38 points and Wigan in 22nd position are on 23 points. Whilst 15 points in a big gap lose those two fixtures and the gap reduces.

With this squad and the money spent on it , we shouldn’t be even considering this. But the way were playing, can we totally rule out a relegation fight as things stand 

On current form, no we are not too good to not go down (sorry for the double negative). Look at the form table and it shows we are 22nd at the moment, with only Birmingham and Luton below us. 1 point per game until the end of the season should have us lower mid table, but turn this current run into an extended LJ poor streak and we could quickly see ourselves sinking further and further down the table and getting sucked into a relegation battle.  Lose next week and we will be in the bottom half of the table...

20 minutes ago, daored said:

No to many points on the board at this stage.

Saying that I can't see where the next win will come from, certainly don't fancy us at Wigan.

26 minutes ago, Spoons said:

Back to school Monday for you.

Sadly I'm not as confident as you that we may avoid a relegation battle.

I genuinely cannot see where our goals (and subsequent wins) are going to come from. We lack creativity in the middle of the park, have a leaky defence and are pretty much toothless up front. I fear a perfect storm may be on the horizon. 

Hope I'm wrong and you are right!

COYRs

?

6 minutes ago, MelksRed said:

Sadly I'm not as confident as you that we may avoid a relegation battle.

I genuinely cannot see where our goals (and subsequent wins) are going to come from. We lack creativity in the middle of the park, have a leaky defence and are pretty much toothless up front. I fear a perfect storm may be on the horizon. 

Hope I'm wrong and you are right!

COYRs

?

We are well away from. The bottom 3 we are 15 points clear of Wigan, so we are in no danger of being dragged into a relegation battle, as not only would it require us to get even worse, it also requires far too many of the sides below us to pick up the sort of points you would expect from the top 2 sides. 

As I said in another thread I think by the end of Jan we will be closer to the bottom 6 than the top 6 I still don't this we will be anywhere near in danger of relegation. 

The way things are, we are not absolutely safe. The received wisdom is that we need at least 50 points to feel safe and even that is not a guarantee. At present, we're on the balance point. We have 14 points fewer than the top 2 teams and 15 points more than a relegation spot. There is still work to be done and imo, on current form, only a new manager can probably do it.

1 hour ago, daored said:

Undoubtedly we need to find some form from somewhere. 38 points isn’t enough to stay up however we’re still a long way from a relegation battle. Back in 2016/17 we were on 27 points and still over a month away from our next win at this point of the season. That was during LJs last disastrous run of games. 

People are slagging you off for this thread but it wasn’t that long ago that Charlton were above us and looking strong.

We are currently 100/1 with Bet365 for the drop so if you fancy an insurance bet, I’d do it now. 

It's probably a case of lose the next two league games and you start getting a little more concerned albeit its still highly unlikely. Win the next two and its laughable to have even been concerned. I think if we were where we are now a month or so ago then it would be very concerning but we are in a much better starting posotion than when we fell like a stone in johnsons first full season.

2 hours ago, daored said:

hahahaha

38 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Undoubtedly we need to find some form from somewhere. 38 points isn’t enough to stay up however we’re still a long way from a relegation battle. Back in 2016/17 we were on 27 points and still over a month away from our next win at this point of the season. That was during LJs last disastrous run of games. 

People are slagging you off for this thread but it wasn’t that long ago that Charlton were above us and looking strong.

We are currently 100/1 with Bet365 for the drop so if you fancy an insurance bet, I’d do it now. 

@Spoons & @Fjmcity clearly have no concerns about us being dragged into a relegation scrap. However, based on our current form and playing two teams in the bottom three the two will reduce if we were to lose. 

I don’t think we will go down , but based on current results and more importantly performances, can we discount it ?

@Spoons inservice day on Monday x

2 hours ago, daored said:

The only point you had is in bold

4 minutes ago, handsofclay said:

The title of this thread 'Too Good to Go Down' erroneously led me to think you were no longer going to punish your kids by taking them to the next home match as their behaviour had improved markedly since the threat was issued.

well do remember, we do deserve better, apparently

28 minutes ago, daored said:

@Spoons & @Fjmcity clearly have no concerns about us being dragged into a relegation scrap. However, based on our current form and playing two teams in the bottom three the two will reduce if we were to lose. 

I don’t think we will go down , but based on current results and more importantly performances, can we discount it ?

@Spoons inservice day on Monday x

In 2016/17 when we had that awful run of 9 straight defeats we didn’t reach 38 points until the 11th March after beating Wigan away. At that point we were 4th from bottom.

So yeah, we are a long way from that at the moment (effectively in terms of points in the board over 2 months ahead of our position the last season we were in a genuine relegation fight). In reality it would take a unbelievably bad run of games to find ourselves back in that position this season.

Lee Johnson be like... “hold my pint”.

Archived