IGNORED

Meadow Lane, January '84

Bristol Oil Services

1 minute ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Think we could've done with this VAR Tranmere are benefitting from....

I well recall it! - robbed home and away by a couple of the poorest decisions I've ever seen...particularly the home leg where Pritchard had turned his man.

A rare game I didn't go to, for some reason, Sunday wasn't it? Footage is on my Youtube channel I think, poor Refereeing over 2 games, would be struck off the list these days.

TBF I was at meadow Lane a few years later, 0-0 and they had a shot hit the bar and bounce over the line and out. We were in the wrong stand and had a great view, it was so obvious a steward by us spat his false teeth out, I kid you not.

25 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

Norman Glover - was that the ref? Always remembered that name, unless that wasn’t his name! Was a long time ago.

Anyone recall bricks being thrown at the COunty team coach after the match? 

Norman Glover...yes, I think that's the chap...

Ended 2-2, Alan Crawford scored very early if I remember right. Apart from us being bottom tier and them 1st division, I remember that game mostly for the fact that the away "end" (corner) was so tightly packed that we were crunched up against that bloody great floodlight pylon and I couldn't see everything but yes, we were robbed that day... 

1 hour ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

Ended 2-2, Alan Crawford scored very early if I remember right. Apart from us being bottom tier and them 1st division, I remember that game mostly for the fact that the away "end" (corner) was so tightly packed that we were crunched up against that bloody great floodlight pylon and I couldn't see everything but yes, we were robbed that day... 

I remember a few lads climbing up that floodlight pylon, then it all kicked off with the Police when they tried to arrest the lads who were on the pylon. It was a bit of a mad day if memory serves me correctly. 

Great day out and a big day out against top flight opposition after the traumatic few years we'd been through. 

Of course we'd had an even more memorable match in the previous round, beating the Gas 2-1 @ Eastville. I can remember being marched back towards the centre by the police, even though we were parked near Eastville, and gathering around someone's transistor radio to hear the 3rd round draw. 

As was often the case in those days, our coach broke down on the way back from Nottingham, there was smoke coming up through the floor and after stopping on the hard shoulder most fans helpfully pissed against the coach to stop it burning.

My first ever away game was at meadow lane.

Went with the junior reds.

Lost 4 0 and i reckon i was about ten.

I can recall my dad taking me on the cats coaches to bournemouth in the littlewoods cup maybe a year later.

We sat in the stand and i recall you could hire a cushion for 10p!

Million miles from what the dolman was like then.

12 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

We should have won that day, think we hit the post as well as a defo penalty not given. Crawford & Pritchard gave them all sorts of problems out wide and we looked the better side that day 

Good following that day also

11 hours ago, ralphindevon said:

Of course we'd had an even more memorable match in the previous round, beating the Gas 2-1 @ Eastville. I can remember being marched back towards the centre by the police, even though we were parked near Eastville, and gathering around someone's transistor radio to hear the 3rd round draw. 

Remember that one, the only tickets available were in the stand opposite the burnt out one. Went to the game with a mate, both dressed as Santa and had to seriously zip it when Martyn Hirst stuck the winner in the net in the dying seconds....

Archived