IGNORED

Trimming the squad - LJ is lost

Lez

With all this talk of trimming squad I've noticed this seems exclusive to our young talent.....Semenyo Adelukan Bakinson Jankeh Smodicks.....but none of these are actually in contention to play for us at the moment bar Semenyo.

So saying 3 or 4 arrive this month this trimming squad bollocks means nothing because we are still going to have a hopelessly unbalanced bloated squad with a whole load of talent not getting into the 18. 

Why did we offer Maenpaa a new deal? Good keeper but ain't even going to get on the bench now.....why did we offer odowda a new deal? Why did we sign smodiczs when we already have palmer and Patterson as number 10s?

Are we a number 10 side or do we play with wingers and 2 up top.....cant do all 3 apparently cos we dont have a striker who can play by himself up top.

Our squad is so unbalanced....and this Jan unless we SELL players COMPETING for a place in the 18 LJ is going to be in the same position of being spoilt for choice and being utterly lost in a solution to trying to find a consistent set up....

Notice we were doing best when we had injuries? No choice, consistency, confidence amongst playing squad.....when January comes we are going to be in the same position of an overly bloated squad and a manager who doesnt know how to combat it.

I'm sure I remember SL saying he was not in favour of large squads and would ideally want a first team squad of 22-23,  basically 2 first teams, almost interchangeable in quality, to put pressure on for places.

Backed up by 3-4 youngsters who could step in if absolutely necessary.

So a manageable 25-27 first team squad.

Not sure if it's right but I've read elsewhere ours is now 37?

If so, why then has he overseen another monstrous bloat? :dunno:

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm sure I remember SL saying he was not in favour of large squads and would ideally want a first team squad of 22-23,  basically 2 first teams, almost interchangeable in quality, to put pressure on for places.

Yes, I’m no fan of the manager but if you let managers sign players... they will.
SL and MA are responsible for this. 

1 minute ago, cidercity1987 said:

The absolute opposite of Cotterill storming to the title with 11 clear starters and 7 clear subs no-one in the stands

Was brilliant, excellent spirit, everyone knew where they stood and knew they would get game time. 
ao many of our current squad must be frustrated / bored at the moment. 

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That’s 100% what SL said.  I’m surprised he’s allowed MA and LJ to get away with the volume of signings, without moving others out (and yes, I know it’s not easy to move players on).  Much as I agree with the movement of 2+1 year contracts to 3+1 / 4 year contracts, it’s a millstone too if a player no longer fits.

1 minute ago, Roger Red Hat said:

If I remember correctly, we were very fortunate with injuries that season.

Plus we had the emergency loan system, which Cotts used very well.  The loan system is partly the reason why squads have grown too.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That’s 100% what SL said.  I’m surprised he’s allowed MA and LJ to get away with the volume of signings, without moving others out (and yes, I know it’s not easy to move players on).  Much as I agree with the movement of 2+1 year contracts to 3+1 / 4 year contracts, it’s a millstone too if a player no longer fits.

Plus we had the emergency loan system, which Cotts used very well.  The loan system is partly the reason why squads have grown too.

I suspect there have been a number of signings that are more MA than LJ also.

Good point about the emergency loan system, which gets forgotten. It left us scrambling around to sign 2 players who happened to be out of contract for instance.

7 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

While there are underlying issues at the moment, I do think that many fans fail to give any leeway ( pardon the pun) for the massive impact injuries have had this season. It's not just the number of injuries, but the impact on the way I think LJ was panning for us to play -  mobile front man, Palmer in behind and Nagy sitting in front of the back 4, in which Kalas and Moore were starting to look a good partnership.

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Good point about the emergency loan system, which gets forgotten. It left us scrambling around to sign 2 players who happened to be out of contract for instance.

If so, at some point as head-coach you have gave to say “it’s me or him”, or you keep those players you don’t want out of the picture to prove the point.  Childish? Yep, but it’s gotta come to a head at some point.  If LJ is being undermined by MA, grow some and “out him”.  Self preservation.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

While there are underlying issues at the moment, I do think that many fans fail to give any leeway ( pardon the pun) for the massive impact injuries have had this season. It's not just the number of injuries, but the impact on the way I think LJ was panning for us to play -  mobile front man, Palmer in behind and Nagy sitting in front of the back 4, in which Kalas and Moore were starting to look a good partnership.

I believe Kalas is playing through injury.

I need no excuses to post this song, as it is ******* brilliant.

And every time Lee gets into one of his sticky little patches this song immediately pops into my head.

So when I saw "Trimming the squad - LJ is lost" I thought how appropriate AGAIN.

They Might Be Giants :laugh:   no pun intended either btw

For me I’d have probably 18-20 first teamers. Who would I include as a first team player? 
Maenpaa, Bentley, Kalas, Baker, Wright, Williams, Moore, Periera, Hunt, Rowe, Dasilva, Eliasson, O’Dowda, Paterson, Adelakun, Watkins, Massengo, Nagy, Brownhill, Smith, Palmer, Szmodics, Diedhiou, Weimann, Rodri, Semenyo(necessity would not qualify in my mind otherwise). So that is 25 that are here now. Vyner, Morrell, Walsh and O’Leary will qualify when they return. That is 29 first team players! 

That is 10-12 too many imo. And you can argue some like Szmodics and Adelakun but there were significant finances used to sign them. As well as they have cut their teeth in the lower leagues already. There was enough info there to see whether they could help us or not. 

So I am with the OP. Realistically we are only looking at loaning out 2 “first team” players but even they will be on the low end of the wage scale and reckon any wages saved are now going back towards Paterson’s salary. So now we are looking to add 2-3 more means LJ feels he needs a squad of 30!! He must really work them hard if they need a 4 day rest huh? 

And SL opens his mouth too much. We won’t sell Kodjia to the championship. We have to make the playoffs(end of season before last). Squad should be 2 in every position with youth supplementing. He speaks yet acts differently. Either shut up or be a man of your word. 

25 minutes ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I'm not sure we were - I think both main strikers were injured around January and where we were fortunate was that we managed to get Matt Smith on loan and JET stepped up for a while :)

18 minutes ago, chinapig said:

This is a big problem because LJ says he has final say on signings. Well that is a massive problem because head coaches don’t sign players. If MA is signing players, that is how it supposed to work. LJ is supposed to get the best from them. Don’t see the point in calling him a head coach otherwise. 

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If so, at some point as head-coach you have gave to say “it’s me or him”, or you keep those players you don’t want out of the picture to prove the point.  Childish? Yep, but it’s gotta come to a head at some point.  If LJ is being undermined by MA, grow some and “out him”.  Self preservation.

Imagine LJ outing MA. One is doing their job to a level never seen before at city. One isn’t. I will give you a hint on who is doing better. It is the bloke bringing in 35m for a pair of championship defenders. 

@JoeAman08 I’d probably go with 20 with 4/5 youngsters you’re willing to use if injuries / form require. It requires the youngsters to show patience.  Give them their men’s football experience at 18/19, then challenge them to be worth keeping hold of.  I know it’s not that black and white, but it’s a starting point.

2 keepers plus Max or JoJo

7 defenders plus one youngster

7 midfielders plus one or two youngsters

4 forwards plus one or two youngsters

Something like that.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

This is a big problem because LJ says he has final say on signings. Well that is a massive problem because head coaches don’t sign players. If MA is signing players, that is how it supposed to work. LJ is supposed to get the best from them. Don’t see the point in calling him a head coach otherwise. 

Imagine LJ outing MA. One is doing their job to a level never seen before at city. One isn’t. I will give you a hint on who is doing better. It is the bloke bringing in 35m for a pair of championship defenders. 

If you felt he was wasting £10m on fees, £5m on wages and £3m on amortised contracts, I might put that to MA.  Gotta have balls!!

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

That would account for the drop in form. But why would we allow this - does it just come down to something stupid like LJ not trusting Taylor Moore enough to start him when he has an excuse not to?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

@JoeAman08 I’d probably go with 20 with 4/5 youngsters you’re willing to use if injuries / form require. It requires the youngsters to show patience.  Give them their men’s football experience at 18/19, then challenge them to be worth keeping hold of.  I know it’s not that black and white, but it’s a starting point.

2 keepers plus Max or JoJo

7 defenders plus one youngster

7 midfielders plus one or two youngsters

4 forwards plus one or two youngsters

Something like that.

I’d say Max is one of the two going into next season. But yea agree with that from a simplicity standpoint. I’d just want those young players to get a chance as well not just be there for injury. I firmly believe if Semenyo had to be on the bench he should have been afforded a few more opportunities. I know it is easy to say when and we might not have won this game if he come on or we might not have gotten the draw here but have to be brave and have to show faith. Signed him to a 4 year deal he needs some confidence instilled in him. 

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If you felt he was wasting £10m on fees, £5m on wages and £3m on amortised contracts, I might put that to MA.  Gotta have balls!!

But in a typical DOF and HC relationship it doesn’t work that way. Plus I don’t think MA is wasting anything. I think MA is giving LJ Lambos and Ferraris and LJ is driving them like they are Seats and Fords

28 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why? Current form not in the top 2 central defenders. If thats due to the injury then the original question stands. Why?

50 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

theres 29 according to the main site and that includes Adelukan, Semenyo and Bakinson as well as Paterson who has just returned, Rodri and Williams who are on short contracts and Gilmartin who won’t really play so 22-23 with a couple of youth players and emergency signings

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I’d say Max is one of the two going into next season. But yea agree with that from a simplicity standpoint. I’d just want those young players to get a chance as well not just be there for injury. I firmly believe if Semenyo had to be on the bench he should have been afforded a few more opportunities. I know it is easy to say when and we might not have won this game if he come on or we might not have gotten the draw here but have to be brave and have to show faith. Signed him to a 4 year deal he needs some confidence instilled in him.

Agreed.

But in a typical DOF and HC relationship it doesn’t work that way. Plus I don’t think MA is wasting anything. I think MA is giving LJ Lambos and Ferraris and LJ is driving them like they are Seats and Fords

You of course may be spot on, just saying if LJ is being given “pups”, that’s some of the shit I’d be throwing at him.

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I don;t think either Kalas or Nagy have been the same since their injuries, so perhaps both have been playing while not fully fit.

It's not helped them to return to a team performing poorly and low on confidence - although Huddersfield and Fulham belies that theory a little!

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I understand LJ did demand more say a couple of summers ago and got some leeway (so to speak!). The signs are though that MA is still the de facto Director of Football. I keep pointing out that he refers to "my recruitment team" for instance.

I sense that some signings are not so much made to fit a playing plan but as assets that might appreciate in a year or two. The club's main strategy is undoubtedly financial.

It's not unusual in parts of Europe of course that the Head Coach gets given players and is expected to get on with it. That requires a compliant Coach, which LJ seems to be. So far.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Because the bloke doesn’t know what he’s going to say from one week to the next and as long as it sounds good he can fraud his way through it 

Archived