IGNORED

Trimming the squad - LJ is lost

Lez

2 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Pep seems to do ok with these numbers in the Premier League. (and before I get shouted down he prefers to use a core of 18 players).

...and his season has been pretty well b******d by injury to 1 defender (Laporte) despite having top class players as cover and in just about every other position and world class players in several positions. 

We've had our entire back line out ( Dasilva, Kalas, Moore & Hunt) for pretty well the majority of the season until recently.

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I go back to my earlier point, if LJ isn’t happy with what he’s getting, he’s got to call out Ashton and his team.  Shit or bust time.

At the end of the day, it’s a results business, the results determine whether LJ stays in a job.  If recruitment is as bad as is made out then LJ needs to go over MA’s head, go to SL and say he wants recruitment to change.  For me MA is a v.good Football Administrator, and we need him to do what he does in that field, running the Football Operations.  But he isn’t a “football man”, in terms of skilled player spotter.  If Lee has a blind spot in non-UK players and the recruitment team cannot correctly evaluate the level of a overseas player to see whether they fit the Champ (Prem future) then you either have to bring in that skill set or narrow your recruitment field.

Wasn’t that Mervyn Day’s role?  What happened there.

Whatever is happening on recruitment, Nagy for example has proved in some games he is more than good enough, yet, just lately he’s been way off the mark.

Hypothetical I know but, if LJ got sacked. 
Would MA seek out a manager that would challenge him recruitment wise , or another “up and coming “ manager that wouldn’t rock the boat 

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I go back to my earlier point, if LJ isn’t happy with what he’s getting, he’s got to call out Ashton and his team.  Shit or bust time.

At the end of the day, it’s a results business, the results determine whether LJ stays in a job.  If recruitment is as bad as is made out then LJ needs to go over MA’s head, go to SL and say he wants recruitment to change.  For me MA is a v.good Football Administrator, and we need him to do what he does in that field, running the Football Operations.  But he isn’t a “football man”, in terms of skilled player spotter.  If Lee has a blind spot in non-UK players and the recruitment team cannot correctly evaluate the level of a overseas player to see whether they fit the Champ (Prem future) then you either have to bring in that skill set or narrow your recruitment field.

Whatever is happening on recruitment, Nagy for example has proved in some games he is more than good enough, yet, just lately he’s been way off the mark.

I totally agree - man up and call Ashton out because as it stands your losing the fans as LJ is being blamed for our lack of quality. I know what i would be doing. 

ive never understood either why SL has not come out and clearly clarified this point as it’s important.

If LJ is only here to improve players value them he’s done a good job so far. 
There will come a time in any industry that if your best workers keep leaving you will eventually be unable to replace them

17 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hypothetical I know but, if LJ got sacked. 
Would MA seek out a manager that would challenge him recruitment wise , or another “up and coming “ manager that wouldn’t rock the boat 

He would replace him with MA - Michael Appleton.....he’s who MA wanted at the time LJ was appointed!

7 minutes ago, Rob k said:

I totally agree - man up and call Ashton out because as it stands your losing the fans as LJ is being blamed for our lack of quality. I know what i would be doing. 

ive never understood either why SL has not come out and clearly clarified this point as it’s important.

If LJ is only here to improve players value them he’s done a good job so far. 
There will come a time in any industry that if your best workers keep leaving you will eventually be unable to replace them

Which is what happened to Southampton before Adkins got them back, and funnily enough they are following a similar trend again.

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

LJ has called out the system on a few occasions. 
I recall sometime prior to the 18 season he said something along the lines of “we need to get better with the foreign experiment”. 
I can’t find the article but it was along those lines. 

I have found an article from May 18 where he calls it out. 
He says “there are difficulties with the system. Every player we’ve brought in hasn’t really been proven in the championship. And that comes down to a number of things that we don’t need to talk about now but everybody now knows”. 

So he has definitely remarked on the system before and how he felt it was going wrong.

But he’s a professional enough person not to come out and shout discontent everywhere.  

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I recall sometime prior to the 18 season he said something along the lines of “we need to get better with the foreign experiment”. 

He says “there are difficulties with the system. Every player we’ve brought in hasn’t really been proven in the championship. And that comes down to a number of things that we don’t need to talk about now but everybody now knows”. 

So he has definitely remarked on the system before and how he felt it was going wrong.

But he’s a professional enough person not to come out and shout discontent everywhere.  

**** that when it’s going to cost me a highly paid job i love 

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good, but that’s when we changed tack, went and got Hunt, Webster and Weimann in particular and to a lesser extent Watkins and Maenpaa.

That continued this summer with Bentley, Kalas, Dasilva, Rowe, Afobe, Williams and Palmer.  Szmodics a sensible outlier to that.  Why did we then go Nagy, Pereira, Massengo?  Personally I think all are capable at this level.  Rodri was a sensible outlier too due to Afobe injury.  I don’t believe many Champ managers would be moaning about recruitment this summer.  You see from this why I struggle to lay fault purely at recruitment / MA.

I don’t want him shouting discontent everywhere, just SL’s ear is enough!

3 hours ago, Harry said:

I’m not at all suggesting that we shouldn’t fish in foreign waters. But yes, I’m definitely suggesting that many of our foreign imports are not good enough. 
You mention Brentford. Tell me how they get a Benrahma, a player who arrives with touch, skill, technique etc and we get a Diedhiou, who arrived for 3 times as much and needs to be coached how to control a ball, how to make correct forward runs etc. 

Nothing wrong with foreign imports.

Brentford seem to have a great scouting system, ours seems hit and miss.

I wonder if Brentford have a foreign dedicated about or two in their setup and I don't include Mervyn Day in that here, with a background in and strong knowledge of European football, specific Leagues. We have Cisse now but there was a gap between him and Louis-Jean.

Better example too may have been Maupay..didn't he cost something like or between £1.5-2m...striker yer a 

Diedhiou I'm not convinced on his attributes. He certainly can't combine consistently with Palmer, or before that, couldn't with Paterson behind him. Technically he is often lacking, work rate he is often lacking...shouldn't generally start for me, useful off the bench.

I think a lot of these foreign players are quite well suited to a 4-3-3 personally. Not just our foreign ones either, quite a lot of our CMs generally...take Nagy as an example, he has a decent footballing background.

Is Klich for example at Leeds a significantly superior player? Or Norgaard at Brentford? I'd suggest not but both seem like regulars, the system plays a key role in bringing out the best or more in players. 

I do question his aversion to 4-3-3.

Archived