IGNORED

Mick McCarthy.

Roadrunner

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why wouldn’t you want a proven, very successful championship manager who has also managed in the premier league and took his country to the world cup finals?

His budget has been variable. His success has been pretty useful but his budget has been variable, relative to competition down the years.

He's reasonably successful I'd say...Waghorn, McGoldrick and to an extent Garner as a collective though? Very useful. Also had such loans as Celina, Iorfa and Carter-Vickers that season.

Loanees aside, well goals aside- we've gone round in circles a bit on Mick McCarthy but a straightish question- and it's an interesting counterfactual:

Do you think, with those 3 strikers PLUS of course Celina and Webster- in other words, 39 of their 57 goals in Championship plus Webster gone, he keeps them up last season? I question whether he would- whether indeed most could- but interested to hear your view!

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His budget has been variable. His success has been pretty useful but his budget has been variable, relative to competition down the years.

He's reasonably successful I'd say...Waghorn, McGoldrick and to an extent Garner as a collective though? Very useful. Also had such loans as Celina, Iorfa and Carter-Vickers that season.

Loanees aside, well goals aside- we've gone round in circles a bit on Mick McCarthy but a straightish question- and it's an interesting counterfactual:

Do you think, with those 3 strikers PLUS of course Celina and Webster- in other words, 39 of their 57 goals in Championship plus Webster gone, he keeps them up last season? I question whether he would- whether indeed most could- but interested to hear your view!

Well, Mick signed both Dave McGoldrick and Daryl Murphy as free transfers for Ipswich so he has a track record of picking up goalscorers and he could well have done so again if he’d stayed at Ipswich. Also, when he joined Wolves they were in desperate financial straits, they’d sold most of their first team squad due to necessity, but Mick quickly built a side around youth team players, lower league signings and free transfers and took Wolves straight into the play offs in his first season as their manager. 

So, he’s used to operating under huge financial restraints and still managed to be successful, every chance he could have continued to do well at Ipswich if he’d stayed, and remember he was only permitted to spend £5m in total on transfer fees across his entire 6 year reign at Portman Road ...

My only worry about appointing him is that he picks odowda in the ireland squad and givea him game time??

proven manager at this level and knows the premier league aswell think he do well with the squad we have. would be one of the names id like see us put a little bait in water see if interested 

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why wouldn’t you want a proven, very successful championship manager who has also managed in the premier league and took his country to the world cup finals?

Using your own logic, youd be happy for Holloway to be our manager? Although he never took his country to a world cup finals.

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why is it such a ridiculous suggestion that we appoint a proven manager with a track record of promotion from the Championship, with a stated desire to return to club management?

Apart from the style of football I think he's a bit too 'old school' to fit in as head coach here reporting to Mark Ashton as his boss, I'm sure BCFC won't be changing the way it's been set up to accommodate a particular personality

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Using your own logic, youd be happy for Holloway to be our manager? Although he never took his country to a world cup finals.

No I wouldn’t be happy having Holloway as our manager for one simple reason, his attitude towards our club and fans that he has clearly demonstrated in the past. Take all that away and he does have achievements on his CV of which our head coach can only dream. But his previous attitude is a huge negative for me. I welcomed ex Rovers managers Cooper and Ward with open arms, both lovely blokes who brought success to City ... but not Holloway for me, ever ...

If, and it's a big if, we find ourselves looking for a new head coach/manager I can't think of someone  British who I would think " yes 100%"  Seeing some of the names on this and other threads give me mixed feelings. Houghton I'd say would be an ok appointment where as mad Mick McCarthy doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Then we have to take the corporate model Steve Lansdown wants to pursue. Would MM or CH wish to work with those constraints? Then there is the Mark Ashton factor. Lee Johnson says he has the final say, but isn't the truth more along the lines of 'here's a list of players we can sign that fits the business model."

I often read about other successful clubs such as Huddersfield, Wolves and Norwich. These clubs have taken a punt on less well known foreign coaches whilst Sheffield Utd trusted Chris Wilder. Perhaps a continental coach would see the best of our flare players like Palmer and Eliasson whilst willing to work within the set up we have in place.

As I said at the start LJ being sacked is unlikely right now but without a drastic up turn in form we may be in the market come the middle of May.

On 05/01/2020 at 01:38, BS4 on Tour... said:

People bemoan the lack of entertainment watching City...  why would you then swap Johnson, who whilst we aren't exactly entertained often has still progressed year on year, with someone who many fans of clubs he's managed previously have criticised the style of play under him.  It's like for like.  Have we been progressing under LJ?  Yes.  Is the entertainment value high? No.  Would we progress under MM?  Possibly...maybe even probably.  Would the entertainment value be high? No.

And that's the crux really.  If we want to make a change, we need to make a change worth making.  Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.....

Totally agree with Steve Watts. I have seen Mick Mcarthy, Chris Hughton and even Carlos (the clown) Carvalhal  mentioned on this forum as possible succesors to LJ. Not one of them will bring the style of football that people bemoan from LJ.

Yes he has lost his way a bit lately but there is no point replacing LJ with a 'name' because he got promoted from this league 10 years ago. Yes Chris Hughton has done it more recently but is he realistically going to come here. And if he did how soon before the 'boring football' brigade start coming out of the woodwork seeking another change.

On 04/01/2020 at 20:41, Roadrunner said:

Just watching BT Sports and Mick said he will be looking to get back into league football at the latest after the Euros in July. Strong experienced manager would not stand for any nonsense. SL could wait to the end of the season then if things are still as they are. Sack Lee with us hopefully still in the championship.

What brand of Crack are you smoking ?

Archived