Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Roadrunner

Mick McCarthy.

Just watching BT Sports and Mick said he will be looking to get back into league football at the latest after the Euros in July. Strong experienced manager would not stand for any nonsense. SL could wait to the end of the season then if things are still as they are. Sack Lee with us hopefully still in the championship.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 3
  • Hmmm 1
  • Aubergine 2
  • Rovers 5

11 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

Just watching BT Sports and Mick said he will be looking to get back into league football at the latest after the Euros in July. Strong experienced manager would not stand for any nonsense. SL could wait to the end of the season then if things are still as they are. Sack Lee with us hopefully still in the championship.

There is literally no chance of this happening. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Honest as the day is long but a manager to avoid relegation not for promotion. 

Millwall, Sunderland, Wovels and Ipswich all reach the play offs.

Sunderland and Wovels all promoted to the top flight.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

He spent most of his time avoiding relegation at Ipswich because he had a transfer budget of about 25p per season. Even with them he made the playoffs in one season. As @Roadrunner said his record at other clubs is very good 

• Like 3

We've got to be setting our sights higher than MM surely!! Football's changed a lot in the last few years. The likes of MM, Warnock, Allardyce etc are very much rooted in the past and don't offer anything for this club (or any other) for the future.

• Like 3
  • Rovers 2

1 minute ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

A Wolves fan mate of mine couldn’t stand him because of his style of football. 

Still better than the rubbish we are watching under LJ currently

• Like 1
  • Aubergine 1

May not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he has a good record of playoffs and promotion, I think he would get more out of our team than LJ.board shrooms GIF

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

He spent most of his time avoiding relegation at Ipswich because he had a transfer budget of about 25p per season. Even with them he made the playoffs in one season. As @Roadrunner said his record at other clubs is very good 

Not dissimilar to Sheffield United in 2017/18 though, wages wise- and certainly more than Millwall, Brentford and Preston.

All of whom finished above them that season- so it can be argued either way IMO.

I should also add that Waghorn, McGoldrick AND Garner all left in summer 2018...worth checking out how many goals, let alone assists as a proprtion they contributed- he'd have been in trouble quite possibly last season had he stayed without them. Celina too, plus of course at the back though he wasn't as good there as here and had injuries, Webster.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

9 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Wow you’re joking right?

Nope. We wont get promoted playing pretty football (not that we are now)'cos we cant attract the calibre of players to do it. 

13 minutes ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

Wow you’re joking right?

Why is it such a ridiculous suggestion that we appoint a proven manager with a track record of promotion from the Championship, with a stated desire to return to club management?

• Like 9

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Why is it such a ridiculous suggestion that we appoint a proven manager with a track record of promotion from the Championship, with a stated desire to return to club management?

He was to Ipswich fans what most of you despise in LJ.

As I have said before on the forum, it was MM who said 

‘as a manager you are either a champ or a chump’

top bloke. Managed international sides, Premier league, Championship  and so on.
Sorry he would tower over LJ  achievements.  Still. LJ going no where

2 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

He would never come and slot into the existing structure.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

look at his budget.......

Whose?

49 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Ipswich who were relegated the season after he left?

Would he have kept them up with McGoldrick, Waghorn and Garner all leaving in one summer??

Celina loan ending too, plus of course at the other end Webster.

It's a bit simplistic IMO to say McCarthy leaves they go down, he stays and they're fine.

Ipswich Town scored 57 League goals in 2017/18.

Of these, having checked just now on Wiki:

1. Waghorn- 16
  2. Garner- 10
  3. Celina- 7
  4. McGoldrick- 6

Granted I'd have to see what % were penalties but you're looking at 2/3 of goals gone, just like that- a shade more in fact!

For the sake of argument though, I'm going to assume that any player would have scored the penalties and so it wouldn't affect the final total from that angle.

39/57 goals, out the window...would McCarthy have kept them up in 2018/19 then? You could say it was an impossible job the following season though tbh, or incredibly tough for anyone.

Just find it a bit misleading the narrative though, McCarthy goes and so do Ipswich.

• Like 1

I'd be ecstatic between Mad Mick or Hughton.

Ideally, in my dreams, end of Season Jokanovic - if he fancies it. He's only on a supposed two year contract at Al-Gharafa. Same situation as LJ was contract-wise at Barnsley when we signed him.

Other names that would flag to me as possible appointments would be Mark Robins

1 hour ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

LJ is managing to do it with his own squad, which cost a pretty penny.

Mick had to do it with free transfers and an indaequate academy - hence pragmatism in understandable for a team that was all but relegated the second he left.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUSSEL85 said:

May not be everyone’s cup of tea, but he has a good record of playoffs and promotion, I think he would get more out of our team than LJ.board shrooms GIF

...and one of the best gifs on social media.  A match made in heaven.

Do you think that he could get more out of our current team than LJ is managing at the moment?

The simple answer is Yes. He has experience and has achieved at this level. He wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of (Yorkshire) tea but if we were winning more games at home, and pushing for promotion would anybody care that much about the style of play? Not really. Fans enjoy seeing their team win.

Playing well but losing regularly will upset quite a few. Lose regularly playing awful football, and you have our current situation, where most supporters would like the coaching staff changed and to start over again, before it’s too late this season for a chance at the playoffs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Matty_Taylor_is_god said:

When did Mick sign 64 players and still not know how he wants to his team to play?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Millwall, Sunderland, Wovels and Ipswich all reach the play offs.

Sunderland and Wovels all promoted to the top flight.

Must admit that Wovels are doing 0k.

• Haha 1

Micks record talks. He kept Ipswich pretty with a rancid owner relationship and no budget... all LJ is a family relation and 60+ signing of ****. I know who’d I trust with the summer budget 

4 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Utter tosh - his record is admirable - won the championship with both Sunderland and Wolves - took Millwall to a 3rd place finish in the championship in his first ever season as a manager, took Wolves into the play offs in his first season there despite them having sold most of their first team squad due to financial strife, took Sunderland into the play offs in his first season there etc etc...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Steve Watts said:

Good god no.  

Why wouldn’t you want a proven, very successful championship manager who has also managed in the premier league and took his country to the world cup finals?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Why wouldn’t you want a proven, very successful championship manager who has also managed in the premier league and took his country to the world cup finals?

His budget has been variable. His success has been pretty useful but his budget has been variable, relative to competition down the years.

He's reasonably successful I'd say...Waghorn, McGoldrick and to an extent Garner as a collective though? Very useful. Also had such loans as Celina, Iorfa and Carter-Vickers that season.

Loanees aside, well goals aside- we've gone round in circles a bit on Mick McCarthy but a straightish question- and it's an interesting counterfactual:

Do you think, with those 3 strikers PLUS of course Celina and Webster- in other words, 39 of their 57 goals in Championship plus Webster gone, he keeps them up last season? I question whether he would- whether indeed most could- but interested to hear your view!

I'd actually like to see McCarthy here.

But if you think that it's realistic you need to wake up.

Whoever is the next manager/head coach/whatever they want to call it, will be a 'yes man' that blows Lansdown's ego.

McCarthy, that is not.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

His budget has been variable. His success has been pretty useful but his budget has been variable, relative to competition down the years.

He's reasonably successful I'd say...Waghorn, McGoldrick and to an extent Garner as a collective though? Very useful. Also had such loans as Celina, Iorfa and Carter-Vickers that season.

Loanees aside, well goals aside- we've gone round in circles a bit on Mick McCarthy but a straightish question- and it's an interesting counterfactual:

Do you think, with those 3 strikers PLUS of course Celina and Webster- in other words, 39 of their 57 goals in Championship plus Webster gone, he keeps them up last season? I question whether he would- whether indeed most could- but interested to hear your view!

Well, Mick signed both Dave McGoldrick and Daryl Murphy as free transfers for Ipswich so he has a track record of picking up goalscorers and he could well have done so again if he’d stayed at Ipswich. Also, when he joined Wolves they were in desperate financial straits, they’d sold most of their first team squad due to necessity, but Mick quickly built a side around youth team players, lower league signings and free transfers and took Wolves straight into the play offs in his first season as their manager. 

So, he’s used to operating under huge financial restraints and still managed to be successful, every chance he could have continued to do well at Ipswich if he’d stayed, and remember he was only permitted to spend £5m in total on transfer fees across his entire 6 year reign at Portman Road ...

My only worry about appointing him is that he picks odowda in the ireland squad and givea him game time🤭🤣

proven manager at this level and knows the premier league aswell think he do well with the squad we have. would be one of the names id like see us put a little bait in water see if interested 

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Using your own logic, youd be happy for Holloway to be our manager? Although he never took his country to a world cup finals.

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

...and one of the best gifs on social media.  A match made in heaven.

But its this one. 

MilkyThinFluke-max-1mb.gif

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Apart from the style of football I think he's a bit too 'old school' to fit in as head coach here reporting to Mark Ashton as his boss, I'm sure BCFC won't be changing the way it's been set up to accommodate a particular personality

Big Mick would be a great appointment and there’s no doubt he would motivate the current squad far more effectively. We could’ve had him when he left Ipswich. Sadly the suggestion tentatively discussed on here was shut down by Lee’s acolytes.

8 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Using your own logic, youd be happy for Holloway to be our manager? Although he never took his country to a world cup finals.

No I wouldn’t be happy having Holloway as our manager for one simple reason, his attitude towards our club and fans that he has clearly demonstrated in the past. Take all that away and he does have achievements on his CV of which our head coach can only dream. But his previous attitude is a huge negative for me. I welcomed ex Rovers managers Cooper and Ward with open arms, both lovely blokes who brought success to City ... but not Holloway for me, ever ...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Ive got a respect for mccarthy at ipswich but overall, for us to progress i dont think hed be the man for us. However, hughton most certainly would be

McCarthy over Hughton for me.  Although Jankovic over either.

If, and it's a big if, we find ourselves looking for a new head coach/manager I can't think of someone  British who I would think " yes 100%"  Seeing some of the names on this and other threads give me mixed feelings. Houghton I'd say would be an ok appointment where as mad Mick McCarthy doesn't fill me with enthusiasm.

Then we have to take the corporate model Steve Lansdown wants to pursue. Would MM or CH wish to work with those constraints? Then there is the Mark Ashton factor. Lee Johnson says he has the final say, but isn't the truth more along the lines of 'here's a list of players we can sign that fits the business model."

I often read about other successful clubs such as Huddersfield, Wolves and Norwich. These clubs have taken a punt on less well known foreign coaches whilst Sheffield Utd trusted Chris Wilder. Perhaps a continental coach would see the best of our flare players like Palmer and Eliasson whilst willing to work within the set up we have in place.

As I said at the start LJ being sacked is unlikely right now but without a drastic up turn in form we may be in the market come the middle of May.

On 05/01/2020 at 01:38, BS4 on Tour... said:

People bemoan the lack of entertainment watching City...  why would you then swap Johnson, who whilst we aren't exactly entertained often has still progressed year on year, with someone who many fans of clubs he's managed previously have criticised the style of play under him.  It's like for like.  Have we been progressing under LJ?  Yes.  Is the entertainment value high? No.  Would we progress under MM?  Possibly...maybe even probably.  Would the entertainment value be high? No.

And that's the crux really.  If we want to make a change, we need to make a change worth making.  Meet the new boss.  Same as the old boss.....

• Like 2

Totally agree with Steve Watts. I have seen Mick Mcarthy, Chris Hughton and even Carlos (the clown) Carvalhal  mentioned on this forum as possible succesors to LJ. Not one of them will bring the style of football that people bemoan from LJ.

Yes he has lost his way a bit lately but there is no point replacing LJ with a 'name' because he got promoted from this league 10 years ago. Yes Chris Hughton has done it more recently but is he realistically going to come here. And if he did how soon before the 'boring football' brigade start coming out of the woodwork seeking another change.

• Like 2

On 05/01/2020 at 00:49, Redstoke said:

Must admit that Wovels are doing 0k.

thought they were little things you got in flour :ill: