IGNORED

Sad and embarrassed

extonsred

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Far from achieving nothing we're now a regular top-half team whereas when he joined we were a relegation outfit at Championship level. Historically we're doing better than almost any period since we got relegated from Div 1 in 1980 (apart from the one season under GJ when we got to the playoff final)

He achieved nothing prior to us appointing him , he only got the job because he was friends with sl

1 hour ago, ashton_fan said:

Far from achieving nothing we're now a regular top-half team whereas when he joined we were a relegation outfit at Championship level. Historically we're doing better than almost any period since we got relegated from Div 1 in 1980 (apart from the one season under GJ when we got to the playoff final)

We’re also playing some of the worst football for a long time with a unbalanced massive squad.

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I got your point.

Do you ever think one of the reasons why we haven’t had a successful football team in this City is because of the attitude you have. The old laid back Bristolian attitude who are happy with mediocrity, we are what we are etc.

I am looking at the bigger picture and I think it’s fair to say City fans have been patient. 40 years now is it? 

It doesn’t help with Lansdown, LJ coming out every pre season saying we want promotion because more often than not, we end up being disappointed. 

Look, I think Lee has done a good job up until now. He’s made us an established club and a team looking up. However, the squad is bloated, we have some fantastic talent and I believe we should be doing better. 

But if you’re happy with little ol Bristol City where they are, then why should we bother eh?

What attitude? Being realistic...or demanding because it doesn't suit your timeline?

Listen to yourself... Just because you've supported City all these years, doesn't make it that Promotion has to come now, just because you're running out of patience. Life doesn't work like that...it may never come. We all want to shag Kylie, but however hard you try, the majority are gonna be left disappointed.

Kinnel... we've got an owner that is doing a lot for this Club. Many positives. And we seem to have a bunch of moaning old gits because they aren't getting what they want quick enough. Some of you deserve the Gas tbh...so ungrateful and entitled.

We are half way through the season...let's see where we are at the end before throwing your toys out the pram.

I get more frustrated, by some of our moaning entitled fan base. First to jump around and celebrate when things are going well...but always the first to moan and complain and not get behind the team when things are going bad. It's always easy to moan and ask to get rid, rather that try and support. We are a typical sing when we are winning fan base. Always reactionary....rather than trying to be positive and help try to turn things round.

Good job we've got an owner and coaching team fighting to win, even when things aren't going well and mistakes made. If it was run by half our fan base, they'd sit around moaning, asking everyone else around them to sort out the problem for them. Then take the applause when it does turn round. ??

It's a good job we've got a fantastic away SUPPORT...

How about being realistic and realising every team is in the same boat. Get behind the team and stop being entitled and moaning every time there's a blip.

This forum is so quiet when we are winning...yet totally implodes when we have a poor run. Says a lot tbh.

I've heard numerous times this season, fans saying words along the lines, that if we don't finish top 6, then this season and LJ is a failure. Total madness. And the more you hear it, you start to wonder what you're surrounded by. 

From my experience...a bunch of entitled moaning old gits, that want promotion now, as time is running out, and it's not happening quick enough for them...sad...but true.

@extonsred well written, sir!

I’m really torn at the mo’.

I see arguments on both sides, but being an outsider, what do you believe to guide your thoughts?  That’s the hard bit.

By the end of this month we will know a lot more, it might be too late, it might be back on track.  But ultimately us fans judge by results and performances in the main.  And both of these have regressed.

Much as I like the financial side, it’s irrelevant really, as long as the club are behaving irresponsibly.  All we know is we aren’t self-sustainable, unless we sell £10-15m more than we spend each year.

So, let’s get it right on the pitch.  There is enough quality in the squad (a big squad) to pick a set of players to do better than they have of late.  I’d almost be tempted to say ‘watershed’, you don’t bring in anyone this January.  It was good enough to get you 4th, do it again.  That would be a way to measure success / improvement or not.  If that’s disadvantaging ourselves, so be it.  We are told January isn’t a good time, so let’s take it out of the equation!

2 hours ago, extonsred said:

Many apologies for posting something which is another (to add to all the others) negative perspective on my beloved BCFC. I have been supporting them now 62 years, so I do have a bit of a history, but I have rarely felt so low and disillusioned as at present. 

In recent times we have been so full of hope and promise - the wonderful title winning season, the new ground completed, new income streams, new strategy for youth development, beating all and sundry in the Premier and, yes, year on year progress in the Championship - until now I fear. I do hope I am wrong and my low state is just a mid season blip but much evidence I feel points to the club having gone off the rails after those glorious moments up until mid season a couple of seasons ago. 

Since then for some strange reason the football has regressed from high press, energetic and exciting football to dour safety first grinding out of results - of course there have been exceptions but this season has been a real struggle to get excited by even in the heady days of only a few weeks ago. How many were really enjoying our football? How many really felt we deserved the lofty league position when we were in touch with the top two? How many believe we are showing signs our position was a false one. Yes we are only a few points off the top six, yes  - many are saying this or that signing will kick start our season. We have however reached such a point, in my view, that we are now looking or need to sign players all over the pitch whilst at the same time saying we have our strongest ever squad. No one, not even the Head Coach seems to have a clue what our best eleven are, what our game plan is, is it more about matching opponents rather than stamping our plan, our skills on fearful opposition, where are our strengths? 

The squad is the most bloated ever, it is the most expensive ever gathered at one time, it has promised so much and certainly at present indicates it will achieve little. We have a very inexperienced coaching squad and an innovative chief coach who are not it seems using the players in a positive focused way. We have very good expensive players losing confidence, we have a number of very expensive poor players or so they have seemed worth only a fraction paid for them. We have good players brought into the squad and not given a good enough run to deliver their true value - mainly because the squad is so big too many have to be given an outing. No worker wants to feel they are a highly valued recruit to watch what goes on in the office. Who wouldn't get disillusioned. It seems we have a great squad losing its way. 

In the early part of the season we were grinding out results but our optimism that it could only get better as our most potentially exciting players returned mid season from serious injuries. What is unfolding is that now we have a fully fit squad, results and more seriously performances have plummete like a stone with shocking football, it seems poor attitude and or confidence.

To be outplayed as we have been in the last few games, to play, generally, poorly at home with drab football has knocked the confidence, enthusiasm and excitement yet again of this crazy long suffering supporter. So seriously at this point in time considering not renewing my season ticket. Who in their right mind believes we are anywhere near gathering a squad capable of getting to the premier and staying there - how many of us thought we were getting close to that mid winter a couple of seasons ago. Since that time we have enjoyed great wealth, relatively, and our football has just gone into reverse. Again I acknowledge we were well positioned only a few weeks ago, we are only a few points of a play off place. We clearly should, without any god given right, be comfortably at the top of the chasing pack. The last five or six games suggests we are to fall further. 

We need consistency, a plan, to be more assertive and aggressive, have stability within the first team. We, the supporters, need to maintain our confidence, our excitement, our desire to get down the gate and expect to see quality top of the table performances - much more than we are getting at present. Yet again it feels we need to regroup, review and refresh the plan and yet again be renewal planning for next year. 

Sorry about emotional night time ramblings but I know I am not alone. I don't know how many feel as I do but becoming a stable premier team, so long overdue for Bristol, is still many years away under the current club direction. 

So hope I am completely wrong and a new signing spreads confidence throughout the club and we start getting excited about the playoffs again. 

Well said E. Supported for 50 years here and feel exactly the same. I just feel LJ has built such a large squad he just doesn't know what his best team is now. He is spoilt for choice. It seems he's not able to manage so many players yet i think he feels comfortable with such a large amount. You cant keep making signings when things are not going your way Lee, at times you have to manage the situation with the resources to hand, especially when they are your players which you have mainly bought in yourself. How many more do you need for gods sake? Ok maybe a striker and midfielder, but get rid of the non performers and ones for the future that aren't. TBH I am not a great fan of Lee (as a player or manager) and wasn't over the moon when he was appointed. I feel that we do need someone more experienced in position now to take us that step further. Think that he has taken us as far as he can. SL must be pulling his hair out with his lack of consistency and surely must be thinking now of getting rid now. Whatever happens i will still support them they are my club at the end of the day. It is not the first time we have gone through a bad patch either. I remember the days of our fall to the old 4th division. Come on you Reds get your act together. Onwards and upwards.

2 hours ago, ray savino said:

Same. This sums it up for me. Been supporting since my Dad took me down the Gate start of season 1966-67.

There seemed to be real progress during that Cup run period, 2 years ago, including in the league. A desire to play exciting high energy, high press football. A template for a real playing style and identity.

Everything now feels stale. The club seems like it needs a real shot in the arm to get it going again.

With a new coaching set up. 

“little man” out

2 hours ago, dave36 said:

Previous clubs and their fans reactions over his leaving was a pretty good indicator - his performances over his last couple of seasons here playing!

yes I dislike/don’t rate him

How many here can honestly say they were excited when he was appointed?

And would you be excited when McAllister is appointed in his place? If not, who do you suggest? And maybe you could get over to the 'next manager' thread and tell us. Because that's an interesting thread. Interesting for the lack of contributions from many of the LJ out contributor. And interesting because the truth is that, aside from a few totally unrealistic suggestions (like we're going to,poach the Liverpool assistant), the conclusion is that there are few options and most of those that there are you may we'll consider un exciting. And McAllister is the most likely.

What makes me sad and embarrassed is the utter negativity and pointlessness of so many threads on here. It's just, here's a problem, let's find a scapegoat, let's all shout as loudly as we can LJ out, let's throw in a bit of abuse now and then, let's find a bunch of stories and half truths to support that demonisation,  let's not bother to think about what happens next, or about what a proper long term solution might actually look like.

Really, that 'new manager' thread is enlightening. And I'd favour a temporary ban on any OTIB posts that say LJ out without the poster first contributing their suggestion on that thread.

19 minutes ago, bearded_red said:

We’ve now reached the stage of a classic Lee Johnson run where OTIB’s resident football expert starts abusing the rest of the fan base that are so obviously absolute plebs compared to his lordship. 

Might start putting up decorations to celebrate this annual event.

In fairness, I think OTIB has been pretty civil over the past few weeks.  I’ve seen very little of the childish arguments seen previously.

49 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

I am looking at the bigger picture and I think it’s fair to say City fans have been patient. 40 years now is it? 

I for one am sick and fed up of hearing about 'patience' and 'progress'.

I made my debut watching City 55 years ago. We were 6th in the 2nd tier of English football. Allowing for the reduction in the number of teams in the top tier by my reckoning and 55 years on we are, compared to our peers, one place lower than when I started.

1 minute ago, BTRFTG said:

I for one am sick and fed up of hearing about 'patience' and 'progress'.

I made my debut watching City 55 years ago. We were 6th in the 2nd tier of English football. Allowing for the reduction in the number of teams in the top tier by my reckoning and 55 years on we are, compared to our peers, one place lower than when I started.

Your fault then ?

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness, I think OTIB has been pretty civil over the past few weeks.  I’ve seen very little of the childish arguments seen previously.

Posters are picking up on a theme in Spudskis posts. He is consistently critical of City's defending and attacking, its players, the teams tactics and its leadership but it is again being overtly critical of fans who do similar.

It is uneven. 

31 minutes ago, spudski said:

What attitude? Being realistic...or demanding because it doesn't suit your timeline?

Neither, try again.

Listen to yourself... Just because you've supported City all these years, doesn't make it that Promotion has to come now, just because you're running out of patience. Life doesn't work like that...it may never come. We all want to shag Kylie, but however hard you try, the majority are gonna be left disappointed.

Where have I said I’m running out of patience? I’ve just stated that City fans have been patient. Stop mixing my words to put your argument across.

Kinnel... we've got an owner that is doing a lot for this Club. Many positives. And we seem to have a bunch of moaning old gits because they aren't getting what they want quick enough. Some of you deserve the Gas tbh...so ungrateful and entitled.

FYI I am not an old git. I know what SL has done for this club, you don’t have to tell me that. I just think we could do things better on a footballing matter, not a business. You saying I deserve the Gas doesn’t really give your post any credit either, you just look like a bit of a tit.

We are half way through the season...let's see where we are at the end before throwing your toys out the pram.

I get more frustrated, by some of our moaning entitled fan base. First to jump around and celebrate when things are going well...but always the first to moan and complain and not get behind the team when things are going bad. It's always easy to moan and ask to get rid, rather that try and support. We are a typical sing when we are winning fan base. Always reactionary....rather than trying to be positive and help try to turn things round.

It’s a forum mate, where you put your opinions and points across if it’s good or bad. That tag of ‘Sing when we are winning fan base’ you’ve described us is like any of fan base in the country. We are no different.

Good job we've got an owner and coaching team fighting to win, even when things aren't going well and mistakes made. If it was run by half our fan base, they'd sit around moaning, asking everyone else around them to sort out the problem for them. Then take the applause when it does turn round. ??

What are you talking about? 

It's a good job we've got a fantastic away SUPPORT...

How about being realistic and realising every team is in the same boat. Get behind the team and stop being entitled and moaning every time there's a blip.

This forum is so quiet when we are winning...yet totally implodes when we have a poor run. Says a lot tbh.

I've heard numerous times this season, fans saying words along the lines, that if we don't finish top 6, then this season and LJ is a failure. Total madness. And the more you hear it, you start to wonder what you're surrounded by. 

It’s not just the fans that have said top 6 is it though? The man at the very top said himself he wants top 6, right the way of the whole club have said it. If Lansdown has said that’s the aim, then it does look like a failure doesn’t it IF we don’t make it?

From my experience...a bunch of entitled moaning old gits, that want promotion now, as time is running out, and it's not happening quick enough for them...sad...but true.

Speak for yourself. I just want what’s best for the club and I believe we should be playing and doing better than what we’re seeing, currently.

2 hours ago, 1bristolcity said:

My, how time fades memories, to have supported City for 62 years and currently never felt so despondent. I was with you very much alive and kicking living in Swindon, and remember just getting hammered by Northampton to go bottom of the old 4th. I and the team survived that and so will we this.  

Yep. I didn't get past the first sentence.

I felt "low and disillusioned" when we very nearly went to the wall.

When we were struggling in the 4th division that first season.

Many on here won't remember those days but they were dark times and these days, where we've lost a few games and sit mid table in the Championship playing in a great stadium with an average 21k paying supporters, is nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to then. It certainly shapes my support.

21 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Posters are picking up on a theme in Spudskis posts. He is consistently critical of City's defending and attacking, its players, the teams tactics and its leadership but it is again being overtly critical of fans who do similar.

It is uneven. 

Because we know nothing. 

4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Yep. I didn't get past the first sentence.

I felt "low and disillusioned" when we very nearly went to the wall.

When we were struggling in the 4th division that first season.

Many on here won't remember those days but they were dark times and these days, where we've lost a few games and sit mid table in the Championship playing in a great stadium with an average 21k paying supporters, is nothing, absolutely nothing, compared to then. It certainly shapes my support.

Well said.........I well remember those days with gates at AG of 5k...........
It makes me smile when posters complain about how things are these days...........:)

I'm more concerned than sad to be honest, strikes me we have a squad of talented individuals - but that doesn't make a team. Arsenal put out 11 talented individuals but don't play as a team, Sheffield United on paper have far less talent but they are a hell of team and play great football.

I couldn't actually give a toss whether we reach Premier League or not, never have been that fussed. I've followed city for 40 years and it's always been about the entertainment for me. What concerns me is the standard of football we are currently playing, it's dire and unless LJ can get this talented squad playing as a talented team I fear we will continue to go backwards.

4 hours ago, extonsred said:

Many apologies for posting something which is another (to add to all the others) negative perspective on my beloved BCFC. I have been supporting them now 62 years, so I do have a bit of a history, but I have rarely felt so low and disillusioned as at present. 

In recent times we have been so full of hope and promise - the wonderful title winning season, the new ground completed, new income streams, new strategy for youth development, beating all and sundry in the Premier and, yes, year on year progress in the Championship - until now I fear. I do hope I am wrong and my low state is just a mid season blip but much evidence I feel points to the club having gone off the rails after those glorious moments up until mid season a couple of seasons ago. 

Since then for some strange reason the football has regressed from high press, energetic and exciting football to dour safety first grinding out of results - of course there have been exceptions but this season has been a real struggle to get excited by even in the heady days of only a few weeks ago. How many were really enjoying our football? How many really felt we deserved the lofty league position when we were in touch with the top two? How many believe we are showing signs our position was a false one. Yes we are only a few points off the top six, yes  - many are saying this or that signing will kick start our season. We have however reached such a point, in my view, that we are now looking or need to sign players all over the pitch whilst at the same time saying we have our strongest ever squad. No one, not even the Head Coach seems to have a clue what our best eleven are, what our game plan is, is it more about matching opponents rather than stamping our plan, our skills on fearful opposition, where are our strengths? 

The squad is the most bloated ever, it is the most expensive ever gathered at one time, it has promised so much and certainly at present indicates it will achieve little. We have a very inexperienced coaching squad and an innovative chief coach who are not it seems using the players in a positive focused way. We have very good expensive players losing confidence, we have a number of very expensive poor players or so they have seemed worth only a fraction paid for them. We have good players brought into the squad and not given a good enough run to deliver their true value - mainly because the squad is so big too many have to be given an outing. No worker wants to feel they are a highly valued recruit to watch what goes on in the office. Who wouldn't get disillusioned. It seems we have a great squad losing its way. 

In the early part of the season we were grinding out results but our optimism that it could only get better as our most potentially exciting players returned mid season from serious injuries. What is unfolding is that now we have a fully fit squad, results and more seriously performances have plummete like a stone with shocking football, it seems poor attitude and or confidence.

To be outplayed as we have been in the last few games, to play, generally, poorly at home with drab football has knocked the confidence, enthusiasm and excitement yet again of this crazy long suffering supporter. So seriously at this point in time considering not renewing my season ticket. Who in their right mind believes we are anywhere near gathering a squad capable of getting to the premier and staying there - how many of us thought we were getting close to that mid winter a couple of seasons ago. Since that time we have enjoyed great wealth, relatively, and our football has just gone into reverse. Again I acknowledge we were well positioned only a few weeks ago, we are only a few points of a play off place. We clearly should, without any god given right, be comfortably at the top of the chasing pack. The last five or six games suggests we are to fall further. 

We need consistency, a plan, to be more assertive and aggressive, have stability within the first team. We, the supporters, need to maintain our confidence, our excitement, our desire to get down the gate and expect to see quality top of the table performances - much more than we are getting at present. Yet again it feels we need to regroup, review and refresh the plan and yet again be renewal planning for next year. 

Sorry about emotional night time ramblings but I know I am not alone. I don't know how many feel as I do but becoming a stable premier team, so long overdue for Bristol, is still many years away under the current club direction. 

So hope I am completely wrong and a new signing spreads confidence throughout the club and we start getting excited about the playoffs again. 

I’m on the same page as you mate, ST holder but can’t bare watching us churn out boring turgid football every home game even when we win.

I didn’t go yesterday and tbh I don’t feel much like attending anymore home games until something changes 

The quality and style of football has been nowhere near good enough for a couple of seasons now and I just don’t feel supporters who pay significant sums to watch have had value for money 

You look at the teams who have got promoted in recent seasons and they play an attacking dynamic style of football which is a million miles away from watch I see 

Something needs to change soon or it will be yet another season of dull football which takes us nowhere

2 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Brilliant attitude that. Let’s just not bother then.

Look at the likes of Sheff Utd, Leicester, Wolves and Bournemouth who have all had stints in League One before making their way up the football ladder. That’s what we should be aspiring to be. 

You do post some negative drivel sometimes.

Drivel sometimes!!? 

24 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Well said.........I well remember those days with gates at AG of 5k...........
It makes me smile when posters complain about how things are these days...........:)

I remember it down to 4,000 or so in the 4th Div. They were dark times for sure. 

Today seems a million light years away from that but there’s no denying entertainment is in short supply at AG these days. 

31 minutes ago, Redstart said:

I'm more concerned than sad to be honest, strikes me we have a squad of talented individuals - but that doesn't make a team. Arsenal put out 11 talented individuals but don't play as a team, Sheffield United on paper have far less talent but they are a hell of team and play great football.

I couldn't actually give a toss whether we reach Premier League or not, never have been that fussed. I've followed city for 40 years and it's always been about the entertainment for me. What concerns me is the standard of football we are currently playing, it's dire and unless LJ can get this talented squad playing as a talented team I fear we will continue to go backwards.

Yep, although my first four seasons watching City were in the top flight, which was fantastic, I came to terms with the reality years ago, that we are realistically a third tier club with aspirations to go higher.

In terms of league position I feel we've largely been over-achieving for much of the last decade, although the excitement and matchday buzz have gone missing recently. I would quite like to get to the premier league sometime, but right now I just crave exciting attractive football. 

Archived