IGNORED

Sad and embarrassed

extonsred

2 hours ago, CityCiderEd said:

That really isn't correct. Warnock assembled a big physical team that got the ball forward as quickly as they could to their front men.It wasn't slow and ponderous it was quite the opposite and the Cardiff fans loved it.It was only the so called 'purists'that labelled it route one and boring which is exactly what you are doing.

It created penalty box action too, which got the crowd off its feet.  On the main, I watched a fair of their games that season, and found most enjoyable (as a neutral(ish))

23 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

We don’t have a identity. Identity / philosophy is a defined way of playing throughout the club . A formation that the club identifies with. Signing players young , coaching them and selling on is a way of trying to compete with the big boys and ffp. It’s not a identity , it’s a way of trying to become sustainable . 
If we had a philosophy of play, then we would buy  young players to fit that system . They would playing in the under 23’s in that system to get ready for the first team or be ready to hit the ground running, as it would all be (as LJ would have us believe) “aligned”.

we don’t though. Only recently have we played 442, which apart from Eliasson doesn’t suit the rest of the squad . So we’ve signed wingers as in Nicky , O’dowda and more bizarrely Adelakun , but largely don’t play with wingers.

We signed, Szmodics and Palmer , mainly no10’s but don’t play a system to suit them largely .

We’ve  bought players with no joined up thinking in how we’re going to set up .

That is not a identity , it’s quite frankly rudderless . 

Also this , we’re only three points off the play offs. Yes we are , but at the start of this run we were fully entrenched in the play offs and a gap was opening between us and mid table. Not anymore. 

And Lee Johnson has stated that was his intention.

From the academy teams to the U23's to the XI.

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

Do you consider the football Bristol City played in 2017 at its peak to be similar?

Its not a question of his staff because they act on Mr Johnson's instruction. It is a case of Mr Johnson did not want to and instead chose to pursue what are now multiple different styles.

No, I didn't. But we had something about us and showed a desire and togetherness

That's it then!

Too many styles, formations and a bloated squad that lack togetherness 

Interesting to note for me is how much we appear to have regressed the past two years, with no signs of recovery. 

I honestly think the only bright spot that carried us last season was Webster, Kelly's sale was good for the academy, but thats it really. 

The good high press football, vanished. 

Quick transition and passing, gone. 

Clsing down? Nope. 

Now we seem to just focus so much on defending compact and standing off, its as if we're scared of the football. 

You don't need a leader on the pitch, in my opinion, if you have one on the side line, you pick the player who best understands the tactics and player instructions who has the respect of the squad. 

One bad run, another chance is understandable, two, alright, a few more signings maybe. 

Three, with the same strike force and three of the same defenders from last season? With midfielder that when they joined looking full of confidence and world beaters ready to run the division ragged? 

I just can't respect LJ anymore after the last 12 months, this is the third time we're in this situations, he's changed the coaches - the recruitment, looking abroad again - and the entire playing staff bar Korey. 

The only consistent factor is LJs management, recruitmemt, and tactics. 

How are we supposed to expect the same to not happen again? When's LJs last role of the dice? How much money does he get allocated with the bloated state of the playing squad created by his own over indulgent, approved, recruitment?

LJ has final say on transfers, a large portion of them dont play, or are not good enough. 

Of the squad that played Shrewsbury, the first team alone was worth £28m minumum excluding any addons. 

Shrewsbury's entire squad - £0, Zilch, nothing. Just coached to a decent level and had a game plan. 

For context, the cost of the team that played Man City at the Etihad? - £16m.

Half.

More capitulation than regression. 

We have a hell of a lot of work to do to get anywhere near to where we were two years ago, let alone in terms of entertainment factor. 

Its just incredibly fustrating, all LJ had to do with that team two years ago is find a pacy left back to replace Bryan, ala DaSilva, and Weimann has the same work ethic as Reid, and  then we needed some squad depth in Midfield to replace Korey duento his injury problems.

Even Szmodics could fill the Reid role to an extent, in theory. Pacy, hell of an engine - yet never plays. How many minutes have we seen of Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics, Adelakun, Watkins, combined? That's over £3m wasted right there, and all we've accomplished is stalling 3 players careers for almost 2 years in one case. 

Its just incredibly fustrating. Its like getting through a model build of a ship and the only thing you need is a Gun battery and one propeller. 

Instead we shoved it off the desk into the bin. Why? 

8 hours ago, Robbored said:

10 years longer than me..........

Anyway that’s not why I’m replying - up to a point I agree with your second paragraph - I was meh when LJ was appointed but willing to give him a chance and since then I’ve continued to remain neutral. Probably because I put great importance on SLs comments about how destabilising changing the mangers at any club is and that he wanted to establish stability at City. I realised that LJ was here for quite some time particularly  when City were flirting with DZ not long after LJ had taken over and despite that SL stood by him.

Your’re 100% right - we (LJ) are so close to getting it right.

Patience boys and girls................:cool2:

We are nowhere near close to getting it right. 

And even if we did, he would change it.

13 hours ago, spudski said:

I can't remember a time following this Club, where everyone behind the scenes is working so hard as one to achieve success.

You state things as gospel, like the above.

How can you know?

I thought you told everyone you coached Skiing - so how does this give you access to the inner-sanctum of BCFC coaching meetings? 

All I see are fans with a BCFC role being removed and replaced by yes men/women in suits, and a boot-room jobs for the boys coaching succession plan.

Besides what LJ self-leaks to the press, how would you have a clue as to how "everyone behind the scenes is working so hard as one to achieve success." ?

You do know that 'everyone behind the scenes is working so hard as one to achieve success.' does NOT equal  'doing what nice Mr Lansdown says immediately he says it' - right?

7 hours ago, SX227 said:

How can you know?

I thought you told everyone you coached Skiing - so how does this give you access to the inner-sanctum of BCFC coaching meetings? 

All I see are fans with a BCFC role being removed and replaced by yes men/women in suits, and a boot-room jobs for the boys coaching succession plan.

Besides what LJ self-leaks to the press, how would you have a clue as to how "everyone behind the scenes is working so hard as one to achieve success." ?

You do know that 'everyone behind the scenes is working so hard as one to achieve success.' does NOT equal  'doing what nice Mr Lansdown says immediately he says it' - right?

You hit the nail on the head when you said Fans of Bristol City in roles at the Club being replaced. I spoke to a previous manager when he was on a Scouting trip. He said he didn't have a clue what half the people at the Club were being employed for, as they in his opinion, were not fit for purpose...being employed because of their alliance rather than experience and qualification. The club had a clear out and put in people that were qualified to do the jobs. This caused a lot of bad feeling as some had been their years. On leaving, some had to sign confidentiality with their severance ( from the horse's mouth so to speak...someone who was high up and replaced)

SL was guided in what was needed behind closed doors to run a better Club. Hence the changes and roles created.

You call them 'Yes men'...which is daft.

The structure is in place to run in a particular way. You don't employ Tom, Dick and Harry all with different views pulling in different directions...and saying things like ' this is how we've always done it'. You employ people who will work to a particular structure. Of course the heads of departments ' bang heads' every week in meetings. That's normal. 

City are like any Club...they aren't perfect, and there will be problems. And if things aren't working, they will look to improve or change. It's an ever changing animal...it has to be, as football is ever changing. Being ahead of the game so to speak.

But at least they have now put people and departments in place to run more successfully.

As for my coaching job, that has nothing to do with my football circle.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

You hit the nail on the head when you said Fans of Bristol City in roles at the Club being replaced. I spoke to a previous manager when he was on a Scouting trip. He said he didn't have a clue what half the people at the Club were being employed for, as they in his opinion, were not fit for purpose...being employed because of their alliance rather than experience and qualification. The club had a clear out and put in people that were qualified to do the jobs. This caused a lot of bad feeling as some had been their years. On leaving, some had to sign confidentiality with their severance ( from the horse's mouth so to speak...someone who was high up and replaced)

SL was guided in what was needed behind closed doors to run a better Club. Hence the changes and roles created.

The structure is in place to run in a particular way. You don't employ Tom, Dick and Harry all with different views pulling in different directions...and saying things like ' this is how we've always done it'. You employ people who will work to a particular structure. Of course the heads of departments ' bang heads' every week in meetings. That's normal. 

City are like any Club...they aren't perfect, and there will be problems. And if things aren't working, they will look to improve or change. It's an ever changing animal...it has to be, as football is ever changing. Being ahead of the game so to speak.

But at least they have now put people and departments in place to run more successfully.

Excellent post again Spudski........absolutely spot on................:clap:

Sad thing is tho with otib or any football forum is the lack of understanding amongst many posters of how things are now run at City in a far more professional manner than before.

Gone are the well meaning amateurs who once had great influence at AG - thankfully.

12 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Sad thing is tho with otib or any football forum is the lack of understanding amongst many posters of how things are now run at City in a far more professional manner than before.

Gone are the well meaning amateurs who once had great influence at AG - thankfully.

It had to be done...every previous manager I've spoken to pre SoD and right back to Osman all said the same thing...a common theme...how amateurish our set up was for Professional Club.

No offence at SX227 though, clever person...who I feel knows more than they let on. 

8 hours ago, SX227 said:

How can you know?

Quite so mate.

Fantasist.

16 hours ago, Fuber said:

Interesting to note for me is how much we appear to have regressed the past two years, with no signs of recovery. 

I honestly think the only bright spot that carried us last season was Webster, Kelly's sale was good for the academy, but thats it really. 

The good high press football, vanished. 

Quick transition and passing, gone. 

Clsing down? Nope. 

Now we seem to just focus so much on defending compact and standing off, its as if we're scared of the football. 

You don't need a leader on the pitch, in my opinion, if you have one on the side line, you pick the player who best understands the tactics and player instructions who has the respect of the squad. 

One bad run, another chance is understandable, two, alright, a few more signings maybe. 

Three, with the same strike force and three of the same defenders from last season? With midfielder that when they joined looking full of confidence and world beaters ready to run the division ragged? 

I just can't respect LJ anymore after the last 12 months, this is the third time we're in this situations, he's changed the coaches - the recruitment, looking abroad again - and the entire playing staff bar Korey. 

The only consistent factor is LJs management, recruitmemt, and tactics. 

How are we supposed to expect the same to not happen again? When's LJs last role of the dice? How much money does he get allocated with the bloated state of the playing squad created by his own over indulgent, approved, recruitment?

LJ has final say on transfers, a large portion of them dont play, or are not good enough. 

Of the squad that played Shrewsbury, the first team alone was worth £28m minumum excluding any addons. 

Shrewsbury's entire squad - £0, Zilch, nothing. Just coached to a decent level and had a game plan. 

For context, the cost of the team that played Man City at the Etihad? - £16m.

Half.

More capitulation than regression. 

We have a hell of a lot of work to do to get anywhere near to where we were two years ago, let alone in terms of entertainment factor. 

Its just incredibly fustrating, all LJ had to do with that team two years ago is find a pacy left back to replace Bryan, ala DaSilva, and Weimann has the same work ethic as Reid, and  then we needed some squad depth in Midfield to replace Korey duento his injury problems.

Even Szmodics could fill the Reid role to an extent, in theory. Pacy, hell of an engine - yet never plays. How many minutes have we seen of Morrell, Walsh, Szmodics, Adelakun, Watkins, combined? That's over £3m wasted right there, and all we've accomplished is stalling 3 players careers for almost 2 years in one case. 

Its just incredibly fustrating. Its like getting through a model build of a ship and the only thing you need is a Gun battery and one propeller. 

Instead we shoved it off the desk into the bin. Why? 

Excellent post. However, seems we are stuck with LJ for now, sadly.

10 hours ago, spudski said:

That’s an interesting point Spud, because I was given some info earlier this week that in some cases those “fans” you mention  have been replaced with relatives (and I’m not talking SL and JL) or friends of certain people.  That isn’t healthy either.

10 hours ago, Robbored said:

One is still here! he is defo a fan

Archived