IGNORED

Johnsonism's

freezer

last game "we had to protect 2 or 3 players" ?? what does that mean?

its ok though ....they "need a 3 day mini break" and "I can get my teeth into a little bit of recruitment" ....oh no not more players, will these need "bedding in" or will they be straight in frontline players?

8 hours ago, Xiled said:

I agree to an extent. There's obviously no right-to-reply for LJ and some of these quotes are taken out of context or were originally said with humour. Nuance is lost with cut and paste or direct transcription.

I generally enjoy listening to LJ post-match although I rarely bother with any of the pre-match stuff. I actually think he's more engaging than many previous managers/coaches.

But people are sick of hearing some of this nonsense. 'Box entries' means **** all when you don't look like a team and you struggle to draw against average League 1 opposition.

Choice of language is important. If LJ confuses the media and fans during interviews, what does that imply about his coaching? Listening to him for all the years he has been in charge, there has barely been any consistency in his views for where a game went wrong. Doesn't that say everything about the reasons for his constant tinkering - the first team and formation changes? Unnecessary over-complication.

When it went off the rails for him, I thought Steve Cotterill was too stubborn to change. By contrast, LJ can't leave anything alone for more than one match. He's looking for perfection in an imperfect system.

Identifying Jonsonisms might be funny or it might be bullying but they are an insight into confused and overly complicated thinking. This has been identified by a number of OTIB posters as a reason why this expensive and talented squad is underperforming. The message is (ironically) loud and clear.

You mention context - well, I'm sure some of what he says makes sense, if you've been in training all week and have been paying attention to the whiteboard. Us fans and the media haven't so it comes across as utterly stupid, some of it. 

He's the one who needs to be aware of context. 

11 hours ago, Bainsey said:

'It was a typical Championship game, if you like. We've got a few walking wounded out there today, and I'll tell you now, this is not an easy league by any stretch. I've decided to give the boys some time off to dust themselves down, if you like, because we need absolute warriors out there. Like Fam, Bails and Tails were today, absolute warriors out there on the pitch. We need the players to be ready to go again, Saturday / Tuesday / Saturday / Tuesday because the Championship, if you like, holds no prisoners.'

I do not like ... please LJ stop saying it

Winning doesn't always mean winning. Winning means you're doing better than you've done before, which could mean losing.

Actually, that isn't a Johnson'ism. I pretty much made that up. How does one get into football management? I think my BS is at the right level.

Seriously though. LJ is really positive and does bang the positivity and BS drum. In the main I like that as it's way better than being around gloomsters who just suck all life out the room. However, positivity needs to be balanced with a sense of realism. Sometimes the positivity wonks completely let go of realism. I worked for a tech startup once and after a good start with good growth it seriously went to shit, absolutely big style. Fans were placed in each corner of the offices and the brown stuff was being pebble dashed over everyone. One morning we came in and the toilets were blocked, a massive python-esq turd was filling one of the toilets. Each time the urinals went on their flush cycle it went over the floor as the urinals drained to the same circuit as the toilets. The handyman who we knew refused to come out as he hadn't been paid. We explained the situation to the CEO who walked into the gents to survey the carnage. He looked for a moment and then said, "today is the first day of the rest of our lives". The COO looked to the CEO and said, "that may be so but I'm busting for a shit". The company folded soon after and I fully expect the CEO is still out there somewhere banging his positivity drum and wheeling out positivity quotes.  

Sorry went off on a tangent there. Personally I think Johnson has done a great job of establishing us as a championship team. Whether he can take us further is clearly up for debate, but I don't think this thread would exist if Afobe had remained injury free.

Remember, "Keep your face to the sunshine and you'll never see a shadow". ?

10 minutes ago, Lucan said:

“Sometimes I’ll start a sentence, and I don’t even know where it’s going. I just hope I find it along the way.”

- Lee Johnson reveals his approach to team talks

That was said by Klopp, difference being is that Klopp follows it with common sense.

6 hours ago, mozo said:

A fresh one, describing the transfer window:

"It's like spinning plates. One could fall, or one could... we lift the plate off and put it in our back pocket."

So that's why he was sitting so awkwardly...

Wouldn’t get one of these in your back pocket.

1905C189-5510-4F91-AE58-E06784E368FE.jpeg

Archived