IGNORED

Johnsonism's

freezer

The transcript of this makes terrible reading. No responsibility taken. Wells chucked under the bus for having the wrong boots on (if only someone had a grass measuring device to hand). A huge amount of nonsense and acting as though whether to have the team talk in the concourse or changing room is a tough and important call. Pink boots. Lots of stuff around how perfect the preparation was. A reminder that we sprinted more than Blackburn which will be a comfort in case one of tie breakers for 6th place if teams are level is how much they ran...

Besides the terrible phrasing, can anyone recall a time when Johnson’s taken blame for a defeat on the basis that he got it wrong? In this case he’s praising the preparation and then trying to spin it. Most top managers seem to rarely directly criticise their players to the press and often take blame for a poor performance to take the attention and pressure away from the players. He always seems so insecure and desperate to maintain the “Lee Johnson” myth that he can never accept the blame directly himself. I can’t imagine it results in a healthy team environment. 

8 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

What does he mean by this?

I think he must have swallowed a dictionary as a child and it is still stuck in his intestines.

Arousal is a very common term in sports psychology that is learnt at GCSE and A Level PE

One theory is the 'inverted U theory' performance increases with arousal increase to a certain point at which performance decreases from being over aroused, common can be thought of as too psyched up and therefore performance isn't at its best. An example from Blackburn could be Massengo, was so keen to get stuck in that he wasn't performing his best. Coming out of lockdown and a massive delay from their last game it wouldn't be hard to think that players may have been a bit over keen.

Arousal - MrGillPE.com

Just now, SuperRed said:

Besides the terrible phrasing, can anyone recall a time when Johnson’s taken blame for a defeat on the basis that he got it wrong? In this case he’s praising the preparation and then trying to spin it. Most top managers seem to rarely directly criticise their players to the press and often take blame for a poor performance to take the attention and pressure away from the players. He always seems so insecure and desperate to maintain the “Lee Johnson” myth that he can never accept the blame directly himself. I can’t imagine it results in a healthy team environment. 

1 minute ago, windmillhillred said:

The transcript of this makes terrible reading. No responsibility taken. Wells chucked under the bus for having the wrong boots on (if only someone had a grass measuring device to hand). A huge amount of nonsense and acting as though whether to have the team talk in the concourse or changing room is a tough and important call. Pink boots. Lots of stuff around how perfect the preparation was. A reminder that we sprinted more than Blackburn which will be a comfort in case one of tie breakers for 6th place if teams are level is how much they ran...

He's literally saying here that he could have psyched them up too much for this game by implying over arousal. If it has been hammered into the players constantly at how important these 9 games were then it could easily cause over-arousal 

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

He's literally saying here that he could have psyched them up too much for this game by implying over arousal. If it has been hammered into the players constantly at how important these 9 games were then it could easily cause over-arousal 

No he doesn’t . He says that could have been a fault of “my staff” and “my team”.

Just now, windmillhillred said:

No he doesn’t . He says that could have been a fault of “my staff” and “my team”.

And he will have instructed his staff on the time of psychological state to get the players into which affects the performance of the team which as you say he calls 'my' team not 'the' team. 

That’ll be why they lost, the eighth best coach in the world under the age of forty did his job too well.

I’ve often looked round Ashton Gate the last couple of years at people barely managing to keep themselves awake watching the absolute dross that Head Coach serves up and thought ‘you know what, I think the arousal level might be too high’.

Just now, hodge said:

And he will have instructed his staff on the time of psychological state to get the players into which affects the performance of the team which as you say he calls 'my' team not 'the' team. 

Yes true of course. But the reality is that this was one of many turgid performances this season. He has not, again, taken personal responsibility- the kindest possible reading of his comments were that there is implied responsibility is his comments. And rather than just criticising the individual errors which were clearly not his fault he needs to make a point about how perfect the team’s preparation was. It’s grim and sadly all too typical.

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I have to admit I do find that quote a little Trumpian.

"We planned it perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. Nobody plans a game better than me."

Bottom line is you can only say you planned it perfectly if it goes perfectly. If not, things were clearly less than perfect. 

Hah yeah, you're right. These two in particular are Trump-ian:

image.png.ef242690d915bd651fd7837b147d56ea.png

image.png.85eb298ddcbe8d3784908295e57d8e2e.png

"The process, I can assure you, is top level and very, very good". Is it paraphrased maybe?

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

Nowhere does he take direct personal responsibly for it or say he psyched the players up too much. According to Johnson the preparation was perfect and once the game started the players became erratic because they maybe care so much. He says “individuals have got to find that key performance arousal level from the start”. 

9 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I have to admit I do find that quote a little Trumpian.

"We planned it perfectly. Absolutely perfectly. Nobody plans a game better than me."

Bottom line is you can only say you planned it perfectly if it goes perfectly. If not, things were clearly less than perfect. 

I will give Lee some advice from one leader to another.

When we plan, we make it simple but not easy. We run through drills, ensure everyone knows their roles, plan for contigency etc. We will run through the same drills over and over to ensure we are well prepared and our contingency plans are able to follow through if plan A is diverted.

Come the day of actual execution on the battlefield. If we fail here, then planning was not perfect and not good enough as we did not achieve our objective. As a leader, that is then for me to take ownership of the outcome, and review what went wrong. Did everyone understand their role? the objective? was the right gear packed? did I as a leader not put across my message of what the objective was, or did I fail to rally my team to believe in the mission? This is down to me as the Leader, not the individuals.

This is to me, why Lee is not a very good leader. He lacks extreme ownership. 

16 minutes ago, hodge said:

Arousal is a very common term in sports psychology that is learnt at GCSE and A Level PE

One theory is the 'inverted U theory' performance increases with arousal increase to a certain point at which performance decreases from being over aroused, common can be thought of as too psyched up and therefore performance isn't at its best. An example from Blackburn could be Massengo, was so keen to get stuck in that he wasn't performing his best. Coming out of lockdown and a massive delay from their last game it wouldn't be hard to think that players may have been a bit over keen.

Arousal - MrGillPE.com

Thank you for the clarification. Modern speak for "They were trying too hard!"

Perhaps they are all trying too much to impress him and not be the one singled out for a slagging!

Johnson should look at and study how the great managers did it. Shankly, Ferguson, Stein, Robson, Ramsey and now Klopp never had to criticise any member of the team because all the mistakes were down to themselves!

24 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

He never has. Even the Preston 5-0, he said the players will refund fans. Not everyone, just players

17 minutes ago, SuperRed said:

Besides the terrible phrasing, can anyone recall a time when Johnson’s taken blame for a defeat on the basis that he got it wrong? 

Yes, he has, most definitely. 

I know I have found post-match comments where he has held his hands up - at least once - but cannot recall where or when.

However, if I had to guess, it would've been a defeat during or after a good spell, when things were otherwise on the up and not at a time such as this, when we are one win in eight, slipping from 7th to 10th and falling off the pace.

Lee will take responsibility, occasionally, when it suits him (to put it crudely). If we fall away now, again, for a third consecutive season, I don't think we will see Lee fronting up and taking the wrap (which will not go unnoticed by his players; not sure about his employers).

Archived