IGNORED

Liam Walsh against the Gas

Dr Balls

19 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

another young player not given a run of games to show his worth. he cost city alot of money. but dont worry johnson knows what he is doing. 

I have had enough of LJ but for me this isn’t a stick to beat him with. I have raved over Liam Walsh’s talent here before but he undoubtedly needed a loan. His timing always seemed off. His passes often a fraction late, he was slightly out of position and he was late closing down. Think this loan will do him the world of good for his career. Where his career goes after this spell we won’t know but think the loan was the right move

32 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

another young player not given a run of games to show his worth. he cost city alot of money. but dont worry johnson knows what he is doing. 

Will probably not be recalled even if Josh leaves in this window & will have to leave himself to get recognition.

Another waste of talent.

Over to you Lee.

1 hour ago, marcofisher said:

Do we have an extension on Liam’s deal which runs out at the end of this season? 

I can’t confirm but imagine we would. If so may be more likely he is sold than given a chance. Definitely think he will have a successful career. The track record here isn’t great for young players really.
Other than Brownhill has there been anyone under 21 signed(or academy)during the LJ reign that has become a regular? Kelly in and out, Eliasson in and out, Moore in and out, Walsh/Morrell/Bakinson/Smith all good league loans and few appearances, Vyner in and out then loaned. Chances are we take up the option and sell for break even to small profit. So a win but like Eisa may end up being a waste. We will know soon enough

19 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I can’t confirm but imagine we would. If so may be more likely he is sold than given a chance. Definitely think he will have a successful career. The track record here isn’t great for young players really.
Other than Brownhill has there been anyone under 21 signed(or academy)during the LJ reign that has become a regular? Kelly in and out, Eliasson in and out, Moore in and out, Walsh/Morrell/Bakinson/Smith all good league loans and few appearances, Vyner in and out then loaned. Chances are we take up the option and sell for break even to small profit. So a win but like Eisa may end up being a waste. We will know soon enough

Think Bryan, Reid and Kelly all did well during LJ’s reign. 

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Calm down love. 
He’s started 15 of 31 games at Cov. He’s not a regular yet at L1 level, so don’t pretend you think he can currently cut it week in week out at the top end of the championship. 

20 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Think Bryan, Reid and Kelly all did well during LJ’s reign. 

Bryan and Reid were 23-24 when LJ arrived weren’t they? Kelly was in and out of the team. Started maybe half the games. Not saying they didn’t do well just saying there haven’t been any regulars outside Brownhill

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Maybe he does - maybe what Liam Walsh needed was a loan to a strong League One club, which is exactly what he’s got.  He sure as hell wasn’t ready for the Championship.

24 minutes ago, Harry said:

Calm down love. 
He’s started 15 of 31 games at Cov. He’s not a regular yet at L1 level, so don’t pretend you think he can currently cut it week in week out at the top end of the championship. 

He has played in 20 out of 23 matches since he has been there. He joined at the start of September and not at the start of the season. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I have had enough of LJ but for me this isn’t a stick to beat him with. I have raved over Liam Walsh’s talent here before but he undoubtedly needed a loan. His timing always seemed off. His passes often a fraction late, he was slightly out of position and he was late closing down. Think this loan will do him the world of good for his career. Where his career goes after this spell we won’t know but think the loan was the right move

It’s funny how so many view different players differently - I can remember Liam being a sublime passer of the ball, there’s a great vid someone tweeted showing a long montage of his passing ability in a City shirt - I just hope we get him back here and don’t let him drift around on loan before binning him ...

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The highlighted bits are my main worries about cutting it at Champ level. Technically with the ball he is fine. 

2 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Do we have an extension on Liam’s deal which runs out at the end of this season? 

I’ve never seen anything mentioned, however we are protected by development compensation should we offer him a deal matching his current one and he turns it down. 

10 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

He has played in 20 out of 23 matches since he has been there. He joined at the start of September and not at the start of the season. 

I stand slightly corrected. 
He’s been there for 25 games and started 15. 
Still no reason for some to be shouting for him to start here and sack our manager because of it. 

12 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

It’s funny how so many view different players differently - I can remember Liam being a sublime passer of the ball, there’s a great vid someone tweeted showing a long montage of his passing ability in a City shirt - I just hope we get him back here and don’t let him drift around on loan before binning him ...

You can’t question his ability. It is there just felt he was a split second off at champ level in most things. The loan will help his timing as he had only had 20 or so games,if you broke his appearances down to 90 minutes, in his career. 

I agree about keeping him I do see a bit of Barry Bannan in his game. 

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The highlighted bits are my main worries about cutting it at Champ level. Technically with the ball he is fine. 

I’ve never seen anything mentioned, however we are protected by development compensation should we offer him a deal matching his current one and he turns it down. 

Yes the highlighted bit I noticed in pre season the most. Think it was Shrewsbury where he was either late closing down and gave away a few fouls or was hesitant in closing down. Just seemed one step off defensively. His on the ball stuff was generally sharp but still thought he got a bit too much air under his longer passes and thinking perhaps a loan could give him more information on when to play certain passes against pros

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

I stand slightly corrected. 
He’s been there for 25 games and started 15. 
Still no reason for some to be shouting for him to start here and sack our manager because of it. 

The knives are out, aren't they. 

The consensus on OTIB on player development was that everything was going well, when we were playing well. Vyner, Walsh, Morrell, O'Leary etc all having good loans, Moore, Eliasson developing here. 

As soon as we're on a bad run suddenly the loans are a bad thing and LJ hasn't given them a chance.

He can't win.

13 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Bryan played over 50 first team games under Cotts in the 2014/2015 season - he was already pretty established before LJ arrived 

Yes, my post was against the literal interpretation of the post I quoted, but the implication (of the post I was responding to) was that young players do not improve under Johnson. Lloyd Kelly, Nic Elliason, Taylor Moore are examples that suggest this is not wholly fair. 

7 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Yes, my post was against the literal interpretation of the post I quoted, but the implication (of the post I was responding to) was that young players do not improve under Johnson. Lloyd Kelly, Nic Elliason, Taylor Moore are examples that suggest this is not wholly fair. 

No I never said players didn’t improve I said players didn’t get a consistent run in the team below a certain age. No doubt those players got better as have players like Eliasson. I am saying LJ hasn’t seemed to trust any of them to play them regularly outside of Brownhill. I can’t think of anyone outside of Brownhill anyway. Perhaps you can now count Eliasson on that list as well. 

Archived