IGNORED

FA Cup 4th Round Draw: City or Shrewsbury v Liverpool (Live on BBC1)

Never to the dark side

I am Praying to Zeus that we win the cup replay; City v Liverpool will be a tremendous game.

Not only the match itself, but also the chance to see Klopp (surely best manager in the world at present) at Ashton Gate.

I don't support Liverpool, only City, but still shrieked with wild excitement when Liverpool were called out. 

If we don't beat the Shrews now, then I will go truly berserk. 

5 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No, I mean Slarti you possibly recall treading The Tote 'stylishly attired' when the photos (should they still exist) doubtless reveal the reality of a penchant for khaki and cream hip-huggers and rainbow striped two in one sweater pullover..... 

Thank Christ reality doesn't exist ...

Fashion shaming  - thank God the mobile phone didn't exist then

10 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I am Praying to Zeus that we win the cup replay; City v Liverpool will be a tremendous game.

Not only the match itself, but also the chance to see Klopp (surely best manager in the world at present) at Ashton Gate.

I don't support Liverpool, only City, but still shrieked with wild excitement when Liverpool were called out. 

If we don't beat the Shrews now, then I will go truly berserk. 

You shrieked with wild excitement, even though there was only one ball left in the “thingy” and everyone knew it was Liverpool? ?

Only joking RDK, pretty exciting, then the double realisation for me:

1) we have to beat Shrewsbury first

2) it’s likely to be Sunday and will clash with Bristol Flyers Cup Final @TBW ☹️

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You shrieked with wild excitement, even though there was only one ball left in the “thingy” and everyone knew it was Liverpool? ?

Only joking RDK, pretty exciting, then the double realisation for me:

1) we have to beat Shrewsbury first

2) it’s likely to be Sunday and will clash with Bristol Flyers Cup Final @TBW ☹️

I sighed with relief when we didn't get Hull away.

22 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

No, I mean Slarti you possibly recall treading The Tote 'stylishly attired' when the photos (should they still exist) doubtless reveal the reality of a penchant for khaki and cream hip-huggers and rainbow striped two in one sweater pullover..... 

Thank Christ reality doesn't exist ...

You do me a disservice, sir...........Fair Isle tank tops over penny -farthing or Charlie Chaplin print big collard shirts, Rupert Bear hipsters, and  2" platforms.......THAT'S what I never wore on the Tote !

As a few have mentioned on here, IF we do get past Shrewsbury the Liverpool game will definitely be on the Sunday as they have League fixtures on Thursday before and Wednesday after. They will also clearly play an even younger/less experienced team in the fixture than they played against Everton in view of the close proximity of the League games which will definitely take the shine off the cup game.

3 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

As a few have mentioned on here, IF we do get past Shrewsbury the Liverpool game will definitely be on the Sunday as they have League fixtures on Thursday before and Wednesday after. They will also clearly play an even younger/less experienced team in the fixture than they played against Everton in view of the close proximity of the League games which will definitely take the shine off the cup game.

Who did they pick on Sunday:

Adrian - will play again

Gomez - yeah, might not play, but perhaps Lovren or Matip may if fit

Milner - got injured, but they coped

Lallana - might play again, or someone like Oxlade or Keita if fit

Origi - might play again, or Shaquiri if fit

Minamoto - likely to get more minutes

Gomez is probably the only starter for Liverpool’s first XI.  It might still be fairly experienced if a similar bunch of senior players are picked again, supplemented by classy young’uns.

I looked at their team vs Everton. 

Wasn't entirely as weak or inexperienced as people made out. 

Gomez (assuming it's Joe Gomez) started. Milner started albeit at LB and didn't last long. 

Lallana in midfield, an expensive signings from an impressive young Salzburg making his debut in Minanimo. Origi up front and Chamberlain off the bench. 

Adrian in goal too, experienced understudy ex of West Ham and Real Betis. 

There were a lot of young players certainly but a fair amount of recognisable names too. Reading this site I assumed was all youth but...

@Davefevs You beat me to the punch...Uncanny how these posts came at roughly same time! Haha.

1 minute ago, Curr Avon said:

Why do I get the feeling that at the end of the replay, the ghost of Jim Bown will announce, "This is what you could have won."

Have to say I have the same feeling as I ponder whether or not to make the trip on the 14th?

2 minutes ago, Curr Avon said:

Why do I get the feeling that at the end of the replay, the ghost of Jim Bown will announce, "This is what you could have won."

I honestly don't think too many City fans will care after the shite the team have served up over the last month or so. I really don't. Never thought I'd say that. We really have been crap. 

Hopefully, this draw will be a wakeup for a few players who are only giving 85% at the moment who want to get into the team for a big tie against the world champions in front of the TV cameras.

It's a shame it takes something like this to wake up a bunch of guys who earn 20k plus per week (more than many of us earn in a year).

Unfortunately, we are likely to only see their kids with a few big names on the bench to turn things around if they start to go a bit pear-shaped.

Even so, that's probably enough to to get them off their asses and give them enough motivation to beat Shrewsbury next week and I for one shall be looking forward to the game.

It will be interesting to see how many of our players can turn on a big performance, when they can't seem to turn it on for the bread and butter games.

Saturdays game will give them their first opportunity to stake a claim for a place in the team for the big one.

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Hopefully, this draw will be a wakeup for a few players who are only giving 85% at the moment who want to get into the team for a big tie against the world champions in front of the TV cameras.

It's a shame it takes something like this to wake up a bunch of guys who earn 20k plus per week (more than many of us earn in a year).

Unfortunately, we are likely to only see their kids with a few big names on the bench to turn things around if they start to go a bit pear-shaped.

Even so, that's probably enough to to get them off their asses and give them enough motivation to beat Shrewsbury next week and I for one shall be looking forward to the game.

It will be interesting to see how many of our players can turn on a big performance, when they can't seem to turn it on for the bread and butter games.

Saturdays game will give them their first opportunity to stake a claim for a place in the team for the big one.

I really don't think they're only giving 85%

The work rate against Brentford from every player was amazing. Watkins, Weimann and Diedhiou worked their socks off. Korey and Brownhill had so much to do being outnumbered. And Hunt and Dasilva didn't stop getting up and down the line. I don't see a lack of effort to be honest.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The work rate against Brentford from every player was amazing. Watkins, Weimann and Diedhiou worked their socks off. Korey and Brownhill had so much to do being outnumbered. And Hunt and Dasilva didn't stop getting up and down the line. I don't see a lack of effort to be honest.

We did well to keep the score down for long periods, with 10 vs such a passing side I thought yeah.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah Jon, but look at the number of challenges, tackles, headers and second balls we don't win.  2 years ago, we were picking up loose balls, passing the ball around and performing at the same level as Manchester United and Manchester City.  it saddens me to see that we're doing none these things now.

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Yeah Jon, but look at the number of challenges, tackles, headers and second balls we don't win.  2 years ago, we were picking up loose balls, passing the ball around and performing at the same level as Manchester United and Manchester City.  it saddens me to see that we're doing none these things now.

Think it's more to it than lack of effort. That team had a very good shape and blend and it was consistently used over that period. Also players like Nagy and certainly Massengo still learning.

There is much more to it than just effort imo.

Well this has certainly gone and put a spanner in the works for the LJ out brigade, you know, those ones that actively want us to lose in the hope he will be sacked, must be even more of a dilemma for those who want LJ out but are also Liverpool 'supporters' of which we seem to have quite a few!

Suddenly they find themselves in a position of actually wanting us to win for once, but then also knowing that a win will keep LJ in the job for a little longer. 

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Reading this thread, it’s concerning that people seem to have written Shrewsbury off. 

It works both ways tbh. All I've heard on various TV channels and radio stations is about Shrewsbury getting Liverpool in the cup, the Shrewsbury chairman or something was on the Radio talking about the draw and started off with we have to beat Bristol City but then spent the entire time talking as if beating us was a foregone conclusion. 

7 hours ago, shelts said:

We ain’t gonna win the FA cup . I hope LJ plays the kids against Shrewsbury!!

Certainly a ready made excuse then if defeated.

6 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Dis-agree Saturdays game is the big one and they should be "staking a claim" for the first team in every game.

51 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Reading this thread, it’s concerning that people seem to have written Shrewsbury off. 

I don’t think anyone has done that . 

Most see us losing to Shrewsbury and missing the opportunity of a glamour tie or  beating Shrewsbury and then losing to Liverpool under 9’s . 

What has this club done to us ? 

9 hours ago, Redtucks said:

But there are some who never go but still moan about the crap football!!!

Oh please let me moan? I havent been since the Eastend got chopped, :sad26:but see every live game televised and see all the highlights on TV/NET, while following minute by minute texts  and on TV and this forum.

A change of manager and a safe standing South Stand will be the only things that get me back to the gate in person. Neither likely to happen anytime soon, BUT attending hundreds of away games and many more at home gives me still, a right to moan......yeah?

Archived