IGNORED

FA Cup 4th Round Draw: City or Shrewsbury v Liverpool (Live on BBC1)

Never to the dark side

1 hour ago, Sir Geoff said:

You couldn't make it up.....posters on here complaining before and after 3rd round draw that the same clubs seem to get the plum ties.....when we draw Liverpool out of the hat there are nothing but complaints about facing Liverpools U.19's. So which is it, Poor draw or plum draw ?        

I know which one I would prefer.

I fondly remember watching a 17/18 yr old Michael Owen scoring at the East End for Liverpool and a young Shearer playing (and scoring?) for Southampton.....oh and what about those youngsters Fergie played in an end of season Testimonial for Chris Garland, they didn't turn out too bad.

Personally I would love to see the Liverpool kids with a sprinkling of fringe first teamers....you never know we may even do a Villa on them.

Young Luis Suarez in 2009 friendly vs Ajax, young Samuel Eto'o vs Mallorca 2003 to add to the list.

Sadly, we got thrashed both times, though they were only friendlies and in the latter we were in League One under Wilson!

Just looking back on the Liverpool line up in 1994, by no means their best 11 ever but still some big names played:

STARTING LINEUP 

1 Bruce Grobbelaar Bruce Grobbelaar
2 Rob Jones Rob Jones
4 Steve Nicol Steve Nicol
22 Steve Harkness Steve Harkness
25 Neil Ruddock Neil Ruddock
7 Nigel Clough Nigel Clough
10 John Barnes John Barnes
11 Mark Walters Mark Walters
15 Jamie Redknapp Jamie Redknapp
17 Steve McManaman Steve McManaman
9 Ian Rush Ian Rush (c) 

SUBSTITUTES 

13 David James David James
20 Stig Inge Bjørnebye Stig Inge Bjørnebye
6 Don Hutchison Don Hutchison

FYI I got Stig Inge Bjornebye’s autograph in the first leg (2nd game I think) in two different colours as my pen ran out after Stig!  I got the autograph when he was warming up during the game

• Admin
42 minutes ago, GBray said:

How does the priority work for FA Cup tickets?

With this potential game in mind…..Do you have to have gone to a cup game this season or will having a season ticket have the most priority?

It will be season ticket holders, then members (this includes rugby), then general sale

5 minutes ago, shelts said:

What an incentive for both teams . It should be a City win but it’s the cup and funny results happen . It would be good if we could win Saturday then go to Shrewsbury with some confidence 

The only shame is there won't be many if any Liverpool first team players on show

18 hours ago, deadredfred said:

I never understand the anger towards less regular fans who would want a ticket for such a match. Of course the best club side in the world are going to be a touch more exciting to go and see than Shrewsbury at home and so the demand for tickets will rise accordingly. It’s an occasion, a potentially a huge upset, tinged with history, a free hit and the atmosphere will be amazing. Why wouldn’t anyone with more than a passing interest not want to be there?

It’s like bemoaning that there’s oddly more demand to watch athletics at the Olympics than there is at Yate Outdoor Sports Complex. 

I have a problem with non city fans getting a ticket in the home end - Bristolian liverpool "fans"

Every single ticket should go to a city fan - whether they go lots or not.

33 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Young Luis Suarez in 2009 friendly vs Ajax, young Samuel Eto'o vs Mallorca 2003 to add to the list.

Sadly, we got thrashed both times, though they were only friendlies and in the latter we were in League One under Wilson!

Or even a young Evander Sno, although he failed to reproduce his form in that friendly.

6 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Or even a young Evander Sno, although he failed to reproduce his form in that friendly.

Yep...looking through that side.

Also had Alderweireld and Vertonghen. 20 and 22 respectively.

Ajax certainly consistently produce talent!

Sno was great though...can't help but think that we never saw the best of him!

6 hours ago, Up The City! said:

When was the last time we actually got the team that's top of the table and European and World Champions in the Fa Cup? Especially at home? Were Bristol City, we dont get cup draws like this! 

I think the closest to this I can remember is when we stuffed Leeds 0-1 in the fifth round of the FA Cup in 1974 - they were the top team in the country at the time, they won the top tier that season and were also getting to European Finals for fun between 1967 and 1975 - they played in five European finals in that time period ...

2 hours ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

Different team then, wasn't it?

Yes it was, but the expectation was that we would suffer a mauling, as history shows in the cups never take anything for granted there have been countless surprises in them over the years why not us (again)

44 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think the closest to this I can remember is when we stuffed Leeds 0-1 in the fifth round of the FA Cup in 1974 - they were the top team in the country at the time, they won the top tier that season and were also getting to European Finals for fun between 1967 and 1975 - they played in five European finals in that time period ...

I believe they were also unbeaten in the league at the time, if I remember rightly.

It wasn't a one off either. We had already drawn at home before beating them at Elland Road.

My best memory ever as a City fan!

1 hour ago, phantom said:

It will be season ticket holders, then members (this includes rugby), then general sale

The only shame is there won't be many if any Liverpool first team players on show

Subject to actually making the 4th round, that really is shit, cue loads of divvies jumping up and down in the Dolman when Liverpool score and wondering why they are getting slung out or cuffed after having been supplied a ticket by a totally uninvested rugby type.

Club should suspend membership applications until after the tie if we are involved to avoid touts and plastic or real scousers getting tickets in home stands as much as possible.

@cidered abroad not included in that derogatory statement about rugby fans, being one myself !

IF we end up playing Liverpool I can imagine the ticket priorities would be similar to that last season versus  Man U.

Season ticket holders would obviously have first shout, then members that have bought tickets for a certain number of matches would be next.

if I remember correctly that was four Games.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Then got Liverpool in the next round at the Gate

16 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Think it's more to it than lack of effort. That team had a very good shape and blend and it was consistently used over that period. Also players like Nagy and certainly Massengo still learning.

There is much more to it than just effort imo.

Agree.

From watching the positional set-ups of players at recurring scenarios and then watching what happened next, e.g. goalkicks, ball at Mäenpää’s feet, ball rolled out to our CBs, where typically players are initially in set formation (not always), I witnessed two main things Saturday:

1) my regular “beef” that certain players are too high up the pitch too early in the pattern of play, and therefore disengaged from ever getting a short pass.  We look a bit like a 4-0-6 formation, the 6 scattered along a straight(ish) line, 40 yards from the ball.

2) the movement towards Mäenpää, Kalas or Moore non-existent in the opening 20 minutes, let alone making angles.

Any movement towards the ball player that may then happen is straight with a man up their arse.  At best it’s receive, control, lay back to the CB, who then has nowhere to go but long.  We cannot beat any kind of press without angles.

The criticism of Nagy and Massengo in recent games is probably justified, but both look as if they have been instructed to be in exact spots depending on the position of the ball, because it happens over and over for it to not be coincidence.  It’s like their own football brain / intelligence  and instinct is gradually being erased.  But the point I raise is they aren’t crap players, just some have forgotten the early games we saw them when they were bright, fluid, sharp, didn’t lose the ball anywhere near as easily as are in these latter games.  Now some of that could be Championship (inc Champ level training levels) fatigue, but I do worry that is mainly down to coaching and game-instruction.

I mentioned in another thread the fluidity and interchange of positions of Brownhill, Nagy and Palmer v Brum, Brownhill, Massengo and Palmer v Derby, Brownhill, Nagy and Massengo as recently as v Fulham plus telling movement of Diedhiou that game too.

Why has that gone?  It’s not lack of effort, it’s instruction, but also failure in-game of the management team to notice that being a cause of us being able to be easily stifled.

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Donnie Gillies wasnt it?

4 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

We played Forest away in the fa cup in 1981, we lost 2-1. They were the European cup holders at the time, and the week before had lost in the intercontinental cup final, the forerunner to the World club cup which Liverpool hold. 

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep - here’s a link to some great pics/memories from those two games - Keith Fear’s lob to score at AG and Donnie scoring the winner in the replay ... lovely!

http://www.mightyleeds.co.uk/matches/19740219.htm

Great days, great crowds, 37.000 sold for AG, (even a sell out v possible Liverpool game will only make 27,000ish) great proper footie, forgot about Hunt and strange that 3 of those Leeds players came here to manage/play...........:sad26:

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yeah BS4 as you know was in a replay after a 1/1 draw at the Gate.

Tuesday afternoon KO. 3 day working weeks for some.  Leeds were indeed then the best side in the country, infact if memory servers me right were unbeaten in any competition at the time we played them. Think there was a 44.000 crowd at Ellend Road for the game.

Wasn't there myself was at Torquay Tech that day and found out the result in the Stop Press of the Hearld Express at Newton Abbot bus station.   Imagine that today!!!!! 

7 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Just looking back on the Liverpool line up in 1994, by no means their best 11 ever but still some big names played:

STARTING LINEUP 

1 Bruce Grobbelaar Bruce Grobbelaar
2 Rob Jones Rob Jones
4 Steve Nicol Steve Nicol
22 Steve Harkness Steve Harkness
25 Neil Ruddock Neil Ruddock
7 Nigel Clough Nigel Clough
10 John Barnes John Barnes
11 Mark Walters Mark Walters
15 Jamie Redknapp Jamie Redknapp
17 Steve McManaman Steve McManaman
9 Ian Rush Ian Rush (c) 

SUBSTITUTES 

13 David James David James
20 Stig Inge Bjørnebye Stig Inge Bjørnebye
6 Don Hutchison Don Hutchison

FYI I got Stig Inge Bjornebye’s autograph in the first leg (2nd game I think) in two different colours as my pen ran out after Stig!  I got the autograph when he was warming up during the game

I was always convinced that Robbie Fowler scored his first professional goal against us in the cup but i appear to be talking out of my arse? Or am I thinking of one of the other games in the trilogy against Liverpool?! 

45 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

Yeah BS4 as you know was in a replay after a 1/1 draw at the Gate.

Tuesday afternoon KO. 3 day working weeks for some.  Leeds were indeed then the best side in the country, infact if memory servers me right were unbeaten in any competition at the time we played them. Think there was a 44.000 crowd at Ellend Road for the game.

Wasn't there myself was at Torquay Tech that day and found out the result in the Stop Press of the Hearld Express at Newton Abbot bus station.   Imagine that today!!!!! 

Leeds were unbeaten in the league after 29 games.

The ko must have been earlier than 3pm (1.30?), it had to be over before dusk.

47k crowd, including me.

Most memorable City game ever.

It’s my wife’s bday the weekend of Liverpool match (if we beat shrews). 

She has been kind enough to give me a pass for the game, but trying to plan around it.

am I correct it’s unlikely to be any time on Saturday as Bristol Bears have a home game that day already scheduled? Or do we think that could be moved?

sorry if answer somewhere in last 9 pages but it’s late and I’m hoping someone can just tell me ha 

3 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

We played Forest away in the fa cup in 1981, we lost 2-1. They were the European cup holders at the time, and the week before had lost in the intercontinental cup final, the forerunner to the World club cup which Liverpool hold. 

We were 1-0 up with about 8 minutes to go - Mabbutt iirc. - when Forest equalised.

We thought, not too bad, get them back to AG.

Wallace scores at the death, cue Forest fans making themselves known in the middle of the City fans & mass brawl.

Archived