IGNORED

FA Cup 4th Round Draw: City or Shrewsbury v Liverpool (Live on BBC1)

Never to the dark side

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Leeds were unbeaten in the league after 29 games.

The ko must have been earlier than 3pm (1.30?), it had to be over before dusk.

47k crowd, including me.

Most memorable City game ever.

I think they lost there first league game against Stoke the game after we beat them

Two conversations today based on the 4th round.

"Rob, are you going to the cup game?"

"Doubt it, I'll probably listen to the radio."

"Can you get me a ticket?"

"Just phone or go online and get one yourself"

(Turns out, they wanted 4th round tickets).

Convo 2;

"Assuming you win, will you get me a ticket for the game against Liverpool?"

"No".

"Why not?!?"

"Would I imagine if we do get through the replay, it'll sell out to ST holders and members".

"So how do I get tickets?"

"Dunno. Do what you usually do.".

Sense of entitlement from Liverpool fans (who have never been) in unreal.

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

We were 1-0 up with about 8 minutes to go - Mabbutt iirc. - when Forest equalised.

We thought, not too bad, get them back to AG.

Wallace scores at the death, cue Forest fans making themselves known in the middle of the City fans & mass brawl.

I remember that game (can't believe it was just under 39 years ago) better than I can remember what happened yesterday! Drove up there with my much missed, but brilliant mate and dedicated City Fan Mike (formerly "Ashtonyate" of this forum). 

There had been some controversy over Forest having to play the World Club Final in Tokyo only a few days before this game, and there was an extra bit of "spice" over some revelations that Forest GK Peter Shilton had recently been on the front pages of the Sun etc, due to an extra-marital incident involving a lady called Tina and a meal in an Indian Restaurant.  Remember that PS was not a City fans favourite due to the Paul Cheesley injury incident against Stoke in 1976 (my personal opinion of that was that there was Shilton was not to blame but I was probably in a minority of City fans on that one!).  So there were quite a few chants of "Tina,Tina!"  and "Jetlag" "Tokyo" etc.

We had just been relegated and were not doing great in the 2nd tier, so it was a major surprise when we took the lead just before half time, as you say, a Kevin Mabbutt goal following a great cross pitch pass from Clive Whitehead.   I remember Ashtonyate saying, with about 10 minutes to go that, even if we concede we are guaranteed a replay at AG, which was pretty much the feeling in the City End.  And then it all went pear shaped!

I do remember those Forest idiots, who had plonked themselves in our end and suddenly feeling the surge as they were chased down towards the front and the safety of the OB, who took them out of the away end. I seem to remember it was bit of a thing (maybe a right of passage?) for hardcore hooligans to do back in the early 80s.

Crap ending/result but great day out (probably sums up supporting City over the years!)

3 hours ago, poland_exile said:

I was always convinced that Robbie Fowler scored his first professional goal against us in the cup but i appear to be talking out of my arse? Or am I thinking of one of the other games in the trilogy against Liverpool?! 

No. Rush scored in both the home games and obviously Liverpool didn’t score at Anfield. 

3 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

No. Rush scored in both the home games and obviously Liverpool didn’t score at Anfield. 

Didn’t he get injured in the warm up? Think it was him, I remember someone ‘good’ did and feeling mighty relieved they weren’t playing.

9 hours ago, internetjef said:

It’s my wife’s bday the weekend of Liverpool match (if we beat shrews). 

She has been kind enough to give me a pass for the game, but trying to plan around it.

am I correct it’s unlikely to be any time on Saturday as Bristol Bears have a home game that day already scheduled? Or do we think that could be moved?

sorry if answer somewhere in last 9 pages but it’s late and I’m hoping someone can just tell me ha 

Think rugby is on BT sport so that won't be moved. Almost certainly be the Sunday as Liverpool play the Thursday before and the Wednesday after.

4 hours ago, RedM said:

Didn’t he get injured in the warm up? Think it was him, I remember someone ‘good’ did and feeling mighty relieved they weren’t playing.

I've gone from being convinced that Fowler scored against us to being convinced that Fowler got injured against us?

2 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

I've gone from being convinced that Fowler scored against us to being convinced that Fowler got injured against us?

I seem to remember him breaking his leg during the second home game. May be wrong though, I was only 15 back then!

8 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

I remember that game (can't believe it was just under 39 years ago) better than I can remember what happened yesterday! Drove up there with my much missed, but brilliant mate and dedicated City Fan Mike (formerly "Ashtonyate" of this forum). 

There had been some controversy over Forest having to play the World Club Final in Tokyo only a few days before this game, and there was an extra bit of "spice" over some revelations that Forest GK Peter Shilton had recently been on the front pages of the Sun etc, due to an extra-marital incident involving a lady called Tina and a meal in an Indian Restaurant.  Remember that PS was not a City fans favourite due to the Paul Cheesley injury incident against Stoke in 1976 (my personal opinion of that was that there was Shilton was not to blame but I was probably in a minority of City fans on that one!).  So there were quite a few chants of "Tina,Tina!"  and "Jetlag" "Tokyo" etc.

We had just been relegated and were not doing great in the 2nd tier, so it was a major surprise when we took the lead just before half time, as you say, a Kevin Mabbutt goal following a great cross pitch pass from Clive Whitehead.   I remember Ashtonyate saying, with about 10 minutes to go that, even if we concede we are guaranteed a replay at AG, which was pretty much the feeling in the City End.  And then it all went pear shaped!

I do remember those Forest idiots, who had plonked themselves in our end and suddenly feeling the surge as they were chased down towards the front and the safety of the OB, who took them out of the away end. I seem to remember it was bit of a thing (maybe a right of passage?) for hardcore hooligans to do back in the early 80s.

Crap ending/result but great day out (probably sums up supporting City over the years!)

Ha ha, yep.

Also memorable were the toilets at h/t when we were 1-0 up.

Packed with fans having a piddle, and queuing outside, and 'Drink up thee cider' almost taking the roof off!

One out, one in, and the singing continued unabated through h/t.

I always thought the Cheesley injury was the result of both Shilton and Pejic contesting the ball with him, putting him off balance, and he simply landed very awkwardly.

Like you, never thought there was anything deliberate in it, but I know many disagree.

Your mate Ashtonyate saw it exactly the same way as me, equaliser really disappointing, but getting that Forest team back to AG would still be a very good result.

9 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Remember the pitch being a bit of a mud bath and was typical city at the time.... Looking quite good but conceding stupid goals.... Plus the highlights

were on either Bbc1 or the big match... 

19 hours ago, phantom said:

It will be season ticket holders, then members (this includes rugby), then general sale

The only shame is there won't be many if any Liverpool first team players on show

The only risk there is that, well clubs can only do so much to manage said risk but I dare say there are a few Liverpool fans among the rugby membership.

Time will tell though.

On 06/01/2020 at 23:24, Davefevs said:

You shrieked with wild excitement, even though there was only one ball left in the “thingy” and everyone knew it was Liverpool? ?

Only joking RDK, pretty exciting, then the double realisation for me:

1) we have to beat Shrewsbury first

2) it’s likely to be Sunday and will clash with Bristol Flyers Cup Final @TBW ☹️

Ouch. Didn't even think of that!

What're you hoping for?

1 minute ago, Northern Red said:

City/Shrewsbury v Liverpool - Sunday 26th January, 5pm kick off. Live on BBC1

Are there any child labour laws that mean kids can't work past 5pm on the sabbath?

I'm just hoping that there are, and Liverpool don't realise meaning whoever plays them win by default.

3 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Out of order on the Liverpool fans . They won’t be getting home until 8pm   

Many of them will be walking to the ground and might get wet if it rains. 

Wonder what You'll Never Walk Alone sounds like, sung with Bristolian accents?

Guess we'll find out (pending Shrews game of course) 

1 minute ago, Red Army 75 said:

Maybe the wurzels could sing YNWA 

Yep, on a makeshift stage, decked out to look like the Shankly gates.

Would be a nice thing to do for them as we failed to deliver on those bubble machines for West Ham. Terrible hosts we are sometimes. 

The last time we were on national terrestrial tv on a Sunday was v West Ham in the 4th Round of the cup in 2015. The match was selected as Doncaster Rovers or Bristol City at home to the Premier League team, so we had first to dispose of Donny in a replay to get our tv date. We did so by 2-0. So this bodes well for the Shrewsbury replay (albeit the Doncaster replay was at home).

Archived