IGNORED

Offside goal killer - disgrace

reddogkev

Does anybody think it fair that so many goals are now being wiped off because of the slightest hint of offside?

It seems categorical that offside now applies to players in line with the last defender.  Nottm Forest had two good goals chalked off against Chelsea, when in both cases the forward's body was still in line with the defender.

I used to blame VAR for killing goals, but it is the offside change that is doing it.

I don't understand why this has happened.  I would guess the number of goals 'killed' like this must already be in the twenties or thirties this season.

Sad times, will it ever change?  Or is this new standard actually correct? 

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pukki disallowed goal vs Tottenham was possibly the oddest or harshest I've seen.

rd6kYtJ8?format=jpg&name=small

Yes that is terrible and definitely counts as a goal killed off.  If I was a Norwich fan I would have been on the pitch after that and then locked up that night and banned for life.

I might join Twitter and start up a hashtag #serial goal killer. 

Perhaps the players involved need to start up a protest, or would they just be heavily fined for their troubles?

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pukki disallowed goal vs Tottenham was possibly the oddest or harshest I've seen.

Fraction of an inch in it maybe?

If it's even offside at all!!

I think that is the worst I have seen. It was a great run from Pukki.

Pretty clear that Pukki gains no unfair advantage from that position. If he scores from there, the only outcomes should be.

a) Well done Pukki, or

b) Should’ve done better Centre Half. 

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes one of the worst for me too. Also don’t like that most camera angles aren’t directly across the pitch. I am sure the tech makes it quite accurate even not looking across it but visually hard for me to accept. 

I have said a few times the part of the body that plays the ball first should be where the offside occurs. Meaning if your shoulder is offside but you score with your right foot which is onside it should count. Or if your head is slightly offside and you score with your head it is offside. Or if in the build up your right foot is a toe offside and you cross with your right foot it is offside etc. They’d probably find a way to muck that up too though.

Also in favour of if any part of the body you can score with is onside then it counts. Favour the attackers. Everyone likes goals find a way to boost those numbers. We won’t like that at first either but the moneymakers will. Scoring attracts fans in general. They have done this in plenty of American sports(I know most of you don’t like them but what I am most familiar with) where they have given advantages to offences/attacks. Their ratings are generally higher than ever. Plus most of those marginal ones are defences stepping up in an offside trap so penalised for being a bit too slow. 

This one bothered me the most. It look's like a perfectly timed run by Pukki. 

I don't think it's just the eventual decision that is killing off goals either. I doubt you can pull any stats to back it up (it might not even happen) but I worry that strikers may now leave themselves a little more work to do with their runs to make sure they aren't subject to the dreaded VAR lines.

Heard read somewhere that must be clear and obvious offside, not a toe nail or finger tip. It’s being looked at by authorities this month. 
VAR  is good but got to apply common sense. Goals and things like that.  Handballs, pens etc

Always remember being in a bar in Turkey for World Cup match England v Germany and the frank Lampard goal. I was only Brit in bar  The jerries thought it hilarious when not given when I went into melt down . Still had a good night later with them. 

I think the issue with changing which body part is counted, or having a wider “line”, won’t solve the issue. You’ll just have moved the issue back a few inches. 

you’ll have the same tech but now measuring someone’s foot rather than their armpit  you’ve still got the measuring issue in there.

anywhere where there is a boundary there will be a dispute re whether something is one side or the other. 

2 hours ago, DT The Optimist said:

Heard read somewhere that must be clear and obvious offside, not a toe nail or finger tip. It’s being looked at by authorities this month. 
VAR  is good but got to apply common sense. Goals and things like that.  Handballs, pens etc

Always remember being in a bar in Turkey for World Cup match England v Germany and the frank Lampard goal. I was only Brit in bar  The jerries thought it hilarious when not given when I went into melt down . Still had a good night later with them. 

This is my issue with it, how can it be clear and obvious if it takes 10 camera angles and 3 minutes of replays to check it? I think they should have some version of "umpires call" like in cricket. If it's that close, you go with the on field decision, this would also stop the system undermining the on field officials.

I think each team should have a maximum of say 3 appeals, if the decision is correct they still have their three but if it goes against them then they lose a ‘life’. This would cut down every decision being looked at as Captains/managers wouldn’t appeal everything, only the clear and obvious.

On another note I was watching a TV game yesterday where the player scored and didn’t celebrate but instead looked at the screen for the possibility of it being offside. It took ages to decide and then the goal was given. Then the match was restarted as the moment of celebration was gone for the players and many of the fans too. It was a horrible scenario. The decision wasn’t that clear but there must have been a tiny bit of doubt in the players mind, it certainly wasnt clear and obvious. I can’t remember which match  it was as I watched a few yesterday. I really don’t want to be watching football like this. 

just like the whole ball has to cross the line so if even 1mm of your body you score with is offside then by letter of the laws of football your offside 

We are still getting use to the var its not going be perfect straight away and everyone always going have an opinion on it regardless if we use var 

Think back to the world cup when we played the germans and lampard shot crosses the line but wasnt given now we have goal line tech that noone moans about but things can take time to get right

If we can get it right like the rugby and cricket do then it could help improve the gane and stop teams getting robbed and managers getting sacked

rome wasnt built in a day 

The simplest thing to say is that it has to be “clear and obvious”. In other words, you don’t need 5 minutes and 10 camera angles. VAR also disrupts the flow of the game.

So as far as I can see it there should be 2 changes that go hand in hand. 
1. A wider margin of error i.e. more than a toe or the edge of a shoulder needs to be offside.
2. There should be a time limit on any VAR decision. I would suggest 30 seconds. That feeds into the first point and will mean that VAR is only overturning obvious errors, where a player is clearly gaining an unfair advantage, which was my understanding of what it was brought into to do.

Of course being British, we have taken it to the nth degree, because that’s what we always do with every rule or law. Then those bringing in the change (FIFA/UEFA) get the blame, when in fact, it’s our own officials who are the culprits by interpreting it to the most absolute wording, rather than the spirit.

I could go all political along similar lines, but probably best not!

4 hours ago, reddogkev said:

I used to blame VAR for killing goals, but it is the offside change that is doing it.

Law 11 hasn't changed this season so any apparent change in the number of goals being ruled out lies wholly at VAR's door.

14 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Law 11 hasn't changed this season so any apparent change in the number of goals being ruled out lies wholly at VAR's door.

What's your view on Pukki's disallowed goal, see higher up the thread and the picture?

Problem with VAR, extremely marginal but right offside- or outright error even after the ref etc could check it with VAR?

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What's your view on Pukki's disallowed goal, see higher up the thread and the picture?

Goal every time. No way in real time the human eye, allowing for margins of error, would have ruled him off. Couldn't care about absolutes, in the spirit of the game it's a goal.

Contrast the excellent officiating one finds in the NFL. When this weekend DeAndre Carter of the Texans failed to take a knee or indicate an uncontested touchback the on field officials were technically correct to award a touchdown when the Bills played on and picked up the ball he'd tossed toward the official. The officiating overseers on the sidelines however had them overrule as in the spirit of the game the ball had voluntarily been given up. It cost the Bills the game and their season but nobody complained as it was the right thing to do.

What is really grinding my gears.....and as was mentioned on MOTD.   How can some FA Cup ties at the home of Premiership teams have VAR?  Yet all other ties at grounds not in the Premiership, have No Access to VAR?   It means it is NOT a level playing field, and so is biased against teams outside the Prem.   You have to have one rule for everyone,  otherwise it makes a mockery of the rules, and it becomes ludicrously unfair.  The FA need to sort it out ASAP, as it degrades the whole competition.

5 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Thought I heard (though I may have dreamt it), that they were going to change the rule again. Sure I heard ‘clear daylight’ mentioned. 

But then we'd be arguing over whether a millimetre, centimetre or an inch is clear daylight. 

Exactly the same problem, surely. 

My problem with it is how can they be sure that the frame they are using is the exact moment the ball is played. Milliseconds decide on or offside,

I’m I am not convinced the moment the picture is frozen is correct. Who decides the moment ball is released and is it consistent game to game.

Archived