IGNORED

Why are we waiting ? (Some cheery stats for a new year of inevitable further delay)

Bristol Oil Services

54 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I believe Lansdown is an accountant and they are not best known for taking big risks.

18 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

The accountants I know never take any risks!

Find the right accountant, though, and he or she will be prepared to bend the rules.

Our man, on the other hand, is a stickler for playing by them. 

All the while, many of our Championship rivals are happy to bend those rules to breaking point and beyond in the search for a competitive advantage.

We are playing by Queensberry Rules while our opponents are only too happy to kick us in the nuts.

18 minutes ago, Kingswood Robin said:

I just wish we would push the boat out more, just a bit

We have - which is why we now start each season with a £20 million deficit. Pushing the boat out even more would mean having to find more players to sell that you, I and the manager for that matter, would rather keep 

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Sometimes it can be a bit of right place, right time- right man, right time etc too though.

You're right. Burnley great example, maximise what they have really well (think they do have players or have signed players though to add a bit more flair or finesse into their game while still being tight but that's a minor point). Very well run at the board room level.

Still, had they not gone up in 2009, I wonder if that chance would've come around again any time soon...riding crest of a wave, struck whern the iron was very hot- bit like us 2 years ago, but them with less infrastructure.

Sorry, I forgot Burnley, add them to ze list !

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Find the right accountant, though, and he or she will be prepared to bend the rules.

All the while, many of our Championship rivals are happy to bend them to breaking point and beyond in the search for a competitive advantage.

We are playing by Queensberry Rules while our opponents are only too happy to kick us in the nuts.

We have - which is why we now start each season with a £20 million deficit. Pushing the boat out even more would mean having to find more players to sell that you, I and the manager for that matter, would rather keep 

Unfortunately in football, all nice guys get is to shake the winners hand.

10 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

All the while, many of our Championship rivals are happy to bend them to breaking point and beyond in the search for a competitive advantage.

Le'ts wait and see...I think the EFL are under some pressure to punish clubs who have flouted and punish them quite harshly. Obviously the size of punishment can depend on loss level, mitigating and aggravating factors etc etc.

A key issue is that the EFL have not been tough enough, or quick enough- or perhaps brave enough.

Had they been so, then we may have seen some differences- Derby and perhaps Aston Villa would have been demoted from the playoffs last season, but certainly Aston Villa and we would have been in that top 6.

Can only hope 2020 brings the punishment a variety of clubs richly deserve.

@Kingswood Robin If a variety of clubs get embargoes and points deductions to this season, the equation will certainly change.

Suspect the EFL could face legal action or revolt from a lot of clubs if they do nothing...

Watch this space basically!

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Le'ts wait and see...I think the EFL are under some pressure to punish clubs who have flouted and punish them quite harshly.

A key issue is that the EFL have not been tough enough, or quick enough- or perhaps brave enough.

Had they been so, then we may have seen some differences- Derby and perhaps Aston Villa would have been demoted from the playoffs last season, but certainly Aston Villa and we would have been in that top 6.

Can only hope 2020 brings the punishment a variety of clubs richly deserve.

@Kingswood Robin If a variety of clubs get embargoes and points deductions to this season, the equation will certainly change.

Suspect the EFL could face legal action or revolt from a lot of clubs if they do nothing...

Watch this space basically!

Some people might consider LJ to be a jammy little blighter and it just his luck if City were catapulted into the playoffs because other teams had points deducted.

I couldn't possibly comment.   

5 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Apparently, we - Bristol City - have waited the longest (111 years) for a return to the FA cup final amongst the present football and premier league clubs, the whole 92.  

So, on that cheery thought, I veered off into: who has waited longest for a return to the top level of English football  (thinking about who is excluded from both considerations provides some solace and consolation). I haven't worked it out for the entire 92 but evidently the current 20 PL clubs can be eliminated, and looking at this season's Championship I reckon only Preston (1961) and Brentford (1947) have waited longer than our good selves (1980).

I cannot be arsed going through the lower league nobodies to work out where we stand amongst those that have tasted the top but Blackpool, Bolton, Cov, Ipswich, Oxford, Pompey and Sunderland have not yet amassed our 40 years of wait/hurt. And all that lot have graced an FA or league cup final since we last did too. Oh, and we can add Swindon to that list. And Bradford. I believe the list goes on (but have not the evidence to back this up).

And so, we wait. Our gratification is delayed. Our patience is tested, and our irritability is understandable. As we go on. Waiting.

But why are we waiting, longer than anyone (other than Preston and Brentford)? And how many more windows will it take (don't worry answering or debating: these are rhetorical questions, idle thoughts bouncing around my monkey mind as I wait) to bring an end to this waiting, this long, long wait ........

City are waiting for all the "entitled old gits" mentioned on another thread to trot off to the local crematoria.

Only then are City allowed to grace the top tier again. But all those departed fans will get to see every game via SKY in Heaven freeview.

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Some people might consider LJ to be a jammy little blighter and it just his luck if City were catapulted into the playoffs because other teams had points deducted.

I couldn't possibly comment.   

Haha, know what you mean.

I'd see it as a bit of both.

Yes, lucky...but also just reward- vindication for him as an individual but also us as a club- for doing the right thing.

SL and MA would take a decent chunk of credit, but LJ as he brought in and yes did accept sales and trading of key assets, would also be creditworthy in this scenario.

2 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

In the 21st century, outside the PL, maybe; in 1970/80s football, don't think so. But don't ask me, take it up with Alan Dicks and the people running football clubs at that time....

I get that but Middlesbrough were a bigger club anyway if you look by history in some ways...they only by the time of the 1970s had spent one season outside the top 2 divisions, according to Wiki. Unsure we could say the same?

Certainly we should have done better though, in our time in the top flight- who knows where it goes from there.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I get that but Middlesbrough were a bigger club anyway if you look by history in some ways...they only by the time of the 1970s had spent one season outside the top 2 divisions, according to Wiki. Unsure we could say the same?

Certainly we should have done better though, in our time in the top flight- who knows where it goes from there.

It was a missed opportunity. A failure to capitalise. 

And when it went pear-shaped, as it also did for so many others - ie Boro, Wolves, Swansea, Burnley amongst others - we went in to a much steeper and longer decline, and unlike those four, we still awaiting a return to the top.

Why so long adrift for us?

8 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

It was a missed opportunity. A failure to capitalise. 

And when it went pear-shaped, as it also did for so many others - ie Boro, Wolves, Swansea, Burnley amongst others - we went in to a much steeper and longer decline, and unlike those four, we still awaiting a return to the top.

Why so long adrift for us?

Middlesbrough and certainly Wolves bigger clubs and when better run or money pumped in- or both- clubs like this, will rise again IMO.

Swansea now there's an example.

They were in the doldrums quite a while...longer than us, but at different times. Think they nearly went bankrupt in the early 2000's, nearly got relegated from the L,eague too!

I always remember then as a fourth tier side from late 1990s onwards, save for one season!

They got themselves a philosophy didn't they. Probably had some luck along the way too but they did things differently to a lot of lower League clubs and reaped rewards. Council assisting them- there's another thing, how helpful are our council to us, but council assisting them or them leasing the Liberty from Swansea Council, but this put attendance on the gates, doubtless helped with commercial revenue too, and this probably started their long road back...along with their philosophy as stated.

Did we have an overarching philosophy? Doubt it...doubt we do in fact though we seem to have more of one off the pitch- so I think Swansea a bit of a unique case.

As for us, 2008 and to an extent 2018 but definitely 2018 is the one for us I'm sure. The big missed chance(s).

11 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Then look at what has happened to all those teams recently. We have been much more stable than most of them.

I always find the stablity point (which is entirely accurate of course) an interesting one in sport. I think sport is to a large degree about taking risks. 

Some of those clubs who’ve taken risks have had a bumpy ride but in all honesty whose last 20/30 years have been more enjoyable/entertaining? 

Ours - consistently in the middle two divisions and 3 or 4 good cup runs.....

Or, say, Bolton/Portsmouth: promotions, relegations, European football, premier league, fa cup, big name players, big name managers, bankruptcy, re-birth, the journey starts again? 

I understand the desire for stability but it’s more about entertainment for me and I’d rather have had a bit more drama over the last couple of decades.

I think much of the disappointment felt by many on here is pointed at the manager but really it’s the whole Groundhog Day feel of the last few years.... lots of promise.... then it falls away... and repeat.  It’s just a bit dull and predictable. 

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 13:01, bcfc01 said:

Oldham were top division in the early 90's and reached a legue cup final.

Notts County were top division in the early 80's.

Carlisle were up there in the early 70's.

Just another off the top of my head was Leyton Orient, having checked Wiki they had 1 season in 1962/63.  Carlisle had the one season in 1974/75.  Agree with the OP on this though, Bristol has lots of great things going for it, but there are other under achievements, the most obvious being that it is the biggest City in England/Wales (possibly the UK?) without a "proper" indoor arena, and many smaller cities and towns have one, so that is another thing that seems like a never ending wait!

On 06/01/2020 at 15:55, Major Isewater said:

Oldham did very well in large part to their ‘ plastic ‘ pitch at the time.

They also had some very good players .

I don’t agree that we ‘ went for the sun. ‘ when we were last in the First Division.

We only bought in a few experienced players to compliment those already at the club.  One of those, Joe Royle , replaced the injured Cheeseley.

We were one of the highest payers in the division at the time, the price to pay for being an unfashionable club .

What lead to our downfall was the introduction of freedom of contract when we thought we were being clever tying down our star players to long contracts , effectively keeping them at the club for the most part of their careers. Clive Whitehead was on a ten year contract at First Division wages , go figure.

I believe Lansdown is an accountant and they are not best known for taking big risks.

Only risks he takes are with rookie managers!

Archived