IGNORED

Latest BEP on Palmer

Silvio Dante

Interesting nugget from GMcG in his latest story on Nketiah. Although he’s said before that Kasey Palmer has put a word in re coming to BS3, the story today confirms that but also links in that Palmer is now more settled at City (see attached).

I can’t believe that playing in FACR3 when many are rested would cause Palmer to be settled. The third point is interesting though.

So, was last week a non story, is the below what’s happened since or has GMcG been asked to kill the prior story by BCFC by putting something positive out there?

F23047E4-5280-4A26-98B0-53FFA112069F.jpeg

More interested in the LJ comments. If he has indeed made it clear to the group about KP then that is progress. He needs to now focus on getting him and Eliasson on the pitch together while not sacrificing too much structure. Nketiah added to that would be exciting but imagine a challenge at the same time

Reads to me that GMcG is backtracking through fear of losing some privilege access to the club. No way is there truth in both of these stories - either the original one was something blown out of proportion and false, or this one is in an attempt to sweeten up City into getting back in their good books.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Perhaps GMG has worked out who his original source was last week and realised he’d been duped. 
This story had a very sour turn yet to take. 

Possibly the same source that gave him the "exclusive" about Tinnion - where he got his fingers burnt.

@Harry "Source(s) you mean.

Original article stated and I quote:

"The information is from a variety of sources- including players, their entourage, senior Bristol City coaching staff, senior Bristol City admin staff and others".

Which changed to likely the more commonly seen:

"The information is from a variety of reliable sources".

Big difference? Unless it was a full on dupe and all of these were either taken out of context or making things up too?

The full original article copied from another site. Out and out copy and paste it appears.

https://www.not606.com/threads/bin-the-attitude-the-kasey-palmer-questions-answered-cup-match-summary.380582/

wizered

wizeredOl' Mucker
Staff Member
Kasey Palmer, Lee Johnson and Bristol City: The key questions answered
Our City reporter answers the big questions surrounding the attacking midfielder and his future.

Is the Kasey Palmer story from earlier today true? Where does it come from?
We understand that it is, yes. The club denies that there has been a falling out.

McAllister's view at the pre-Shrewsbury Town press conference on Friday afternoon was:

"No, there’s been no fallout. Kasey’s a big part of this squad. He’s a top player. When you get opportunities you need to take them - we can only pick 18 players for each game. He’s a big part of our group," he said.

However, we believe that the issue is bigger than McAllister is letting on, and it is telling that there have not been other denials.

The information is from a variety of sources - including players, their entourage, senior Bristol City coaching staff, senior Bristol City admin staff and others.

Has the club and specifically Lee Johnson had the opportunity to give their side?
Lee Johnson explained following the Luton Town win on Boxing Day that:

"I think Kasey’s got a challenge - his challenge is to keep the shirt and nobody dislikes Kasey Palmer, we signed him because we believe in him, we still do believe in him.

"I thought he was outstanding in the first five or six games and a little bit of that coincided with the duo of Benik Afobe and Kasey Palmer and they struck up a rapport on and off the pitch and then Benik got injured.

"Kasey had a couple of bad performances, didn’t do enough, simply or didn’t have the right balance around him and I think that it’s an important time for Kasey now mentally because he’s always had the mothership of Chelsea to call him back and my challenge to him is to not have a repeated pattern where the grass is always greener somewhere else.

"It’s now time to, exactly what we said before, dig in and make sure that he comes through because he’s a talented individual and he’s a player that we’re desperate to do well."

please log in to view this image

Kasey Palmer of Bristol City (Image: Robbie Stephenson/JMP)
The club and Lee have been offered the chance to speak publicly on the story but have declined.

Is the relationship permanently damaged between Kasey Palmer and Lee Johnson?
Our understanding is that we don't believe it is permanently damaged. I personally believe that every relationship is recoverable. (Offer a big enough olive branch... and then whack them on the head with it...).

However, I'm hearing that a transfer is a definite possibility and likely to happen by the end of January, as it stands.

Whether the club will agree to that remains to be seen, but would it be in their interest to keep an unhappy player beyond the window? Especially someone of Palmer's talents.

How close is a transfer to happening?
Steve Cooper has now spoken with Lee Johnson. An official approach has been made from Swansea. Other clubs including Crystal Palace are interested. Another Premier League side (mid-table) and Bundesliga team are interested too.

Nothing is imminent but a move could take place before the end of the month if Bristol City agree that the best thing is to let Palmer leave.

Kasey Palmer warms up against Millwall in a t-shirt in tribute to the Afobe family

Why might Lee Johnson possibly 'fall out' with one of his best players?
Lee Johnson will have his reasons for taking the action that he has - likely that he believes that his methods are aimed at getting the best from a player.

The head coach is determined to develop and make every player better. Are his methods working or out of date? That's for you and Steve Lansdown to decide. (And in doing that we suggest to look at the big picture too.)

How big a deal is this - it's just one player, right?
Chiefly it just affects a single player, but if other players are close friends then those players are not likely to be too impressed either.

Further, this is a player worth around £5m or more and is one of the highest earners in the Bristol City squad. What is going on that this wasn't sorted during last season's loan? Palmer was one of the club's big summer signings and Lee Johnson should have been building the team around Palmer, knowing what he was getting when the deal was completed in the summer.

Has there been a drop-off in attitude from the player? We don't believe there has been.

What is Palmer's view and what has the player been doing of late to influence the situation?
Our understanding is that Palmer is very unhappy but still believes in the Bristol City project. If he's not wanted then he will move on.

He has also been putting in extra work with fitness trainer Jamie Lawrence outside of training to further improve his fitness and make sure that he is in top condition, as he did over the summer to earn a move back to Bristol City.

Further, we understand that Palmer has sought and had several one-on-one meetings with Lee Johnson to ask how he can improve, what he is doing wrong and why he is being left out of the 18-man squad of late.

Might Palmer play on Saturday and could this all be the affect of what has happened with Benik Afobe, his close friend?
I hope Kasey Palmer plays tomorrow and everything moves forward from there. No information on whether he will be involved yet.

The Afobe thing will definitely have had an effect. But there is more to this undoubtedly.

What is the City reporter's own reading of the situation?
Without doubt Palmer is desperate to get back into the side. As reported previously, the relationship with Lee Johnson is deteriorating. And let's be honest: for this to all become public shows something is amiss - do not underestimate that.

Why has this happened now and why is it happening following a loan period last season that effectively had to be a 'trial' period? There are big questions to be asked of the head coach here. If Johnson didn't want to sign Palmer in the summer then there are even bigger questions for the club to answer.

This sort of thing is not a good look. The morale of the squad could be affected and to lose a player like Palmer just months after making the deal permanent is just plain crazy and must lead to a lot of finger-wagging inside BS3.

However, saying all that: Lee Johnson is still the man to lead Bristol City and has the backing of the squad. This needs sorting quickly and internally.

Kasey Palmer looks dejected after City's 2-1 defeat to Millwall

Johnson, by his own admission, is a little old-school in his methods and I believe that the head coach may be trying to 'toughen up' Palmer and make him mentally stronger. The danger is that things backfire.

Has Lee Johnson 'lost the dressing room'?
Absolutely not. This is one unhappy player and it is a player not in the team. Why wouldn't he be unhappy because of that?

This writer is aware that there are other unhappy players too - however mainly because they are not playing, and that is perfectly natural. The head coach said recently that he wished to trim his squad and that would help with managing the group.

That is now what needs to happen.

Why is Palmer so upset? How has Lee Johnson 'mis-treated' Kasey?
Here is one example: we understand that every player who was not in the 18-man squad for the game against Charlton Athletic on Boxing Day was told that they did not need to travel on Christmas Day.

However, Palmer was then made to travel despite not being in the 18. This was seen as specifically aimed at Palmer.

Of course, Lee Johnson may have his reasons for this, but it does not sound good.

How much of an effect has this had on the chase for Eddie Nketiah?
We know that Nketiah and Palmer have discussed Bristol City. And that Palmer was very positive about City and told Nketiah that he should come to BS3.

Th only thing was that Palmer might not be in BS3 himself by the end of the window.

We understand that Nketiah has several decent loan options. Several of our sources have told us that he is coming. One has said that Bristol City are not his first choice. But we will see in the next days.

Is this the beginning of the end for Lee Johnson at Bristol City?
After six defeats in the last nine games and five in the last six, it is time to start asking this question.

This writer is NOT saying that this is the end of Lee Johnson at Ashton Gate, just that he is a manager under pressure. But that is also true of every manager.

A bad result in the next game or two could precipitate close scrutiny - however Johnson's job is not under threat. He does remain just two points away from the play-off positions.
https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/kasey-palmer-lee-johnson-bristol-3702551

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Perhaps GMG has worked out who his original source was last week and realised he’d been duped. 
This story had a very sour turn yet to take. 

That’s the problem for him, he has to write something everyday,

the post has gone downhill faster then the titanic 

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Then why did he NAME his sources- not by name but not far off- by title, dept?

That's significantly further along than the amended version and actually is very questionable journalism. Explain away that?

In some ways, I'm more concerned by the leaks which were seemingly from a large number of sources, than the story.

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Then why did he NAME his sources- not by name but not far off- by title, dept?

That's significantly further along than the amended version and actually is very questionable journalism. Explain away that?

In some ways, I'm more concerned by the leaks which were seemingly from a large number of sources, than the story.

I think there aren’t many leaks especially to the post,

it was only Saturday he tweeted out asking for fans to tell him if they’ve spotted a player at the gate,

also remember some false stories may be put out to identity a leak so it can be dealt with,

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

it was only Saturday he tweeted out asking for fans to tell him if they’ve spotted a player at the gate,

also remember some false stories may be put out to identity a leak so it can be dealt with,

Very good point that.

26 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Technically for that to happen the Titanic would have had to have been up a hill which , given the fact that at the time it was the world’s  biggest ocean liner , means that your description of said Post’s ineptitude is diminished.

5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Technically for that to happen the Titanic would have had to have been up a hill which , given the fact that at the time it was the world’s  biggest ocean liner , means that your description of said Post’s ineptitude is diminished.

Smartarse

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

More interested in the LJ comments. If he has indeed made it clear to the group about KP then that is progress. He needs to now focus on getting him and Eliasson on the pitch together while not sacrificing too much structure. Nketiah added to that would be exciting but imagine a challenge at the same time

Much as I hate formations, Imho that can only be in a 4411-variant, with Eliasson LW, KP no10 and no Famara.

That could be with Weimann on the shoulder or a new striker.

You could see the team’s frustration with Fam on Saturday (although he had been better of late).

17 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I'm not taking it as Gospel at all, but the range of sources make me wonder. 

Yes, good point indeed. False news to identify original sources. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

Much as I hate formations, Imho that can only be in a 4411-variant, with Eliasson LW, KP no10 and no Famara.

You could see the team’s frustration with Fam on Saturday (although he had been better of late).

Agree which is weird because the way Fam had been playing he seemed he could be a good fit but he just doesn’t have the movement or quickness to do it. He’d be more suited to maybe wide forwards in a 433. I said to some mates Saturday love the formation and personnel and could you imagine that lineup with Afobe. Be a perfect fit imo and might get to see it before season is up

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm not taking it as Gospel at all, but the range of sources make me wonder. 

Yes, good point indeed. False news to identify original sources. 

I by default don’t believe in anything the post writes about our club, they have a anti city bias at the head of that paper,

I normally wait for more reliable people like kid to back it up on here 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Agree about Palmer behind Diedhiou being pretty hard to work, as it stands incompatible? Maybe that's too drastic but their differing attributes make it feel pointless to set up that way. 

Formations? Hard one isn't it. Would Sheffield United have been half as effective or efficient in a 4-4-2? Really doubt it..they can IMO mask weaknesses and exaggerated strengths but certainly not be all and end all.

5 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree which is weird because the way Fam had been playing he seemed he could be a good fit but he just doesn’t have the movement or quickness to do it. He’d be more suited to maybe wide forwards in a 433. I said to some mates Saturday love the formation and personnel and could you imagine that lineup with Afobe. Be a perfect fit imo and might get to see it before season is up

Formation wise, for me to fit Palmer in, you need two good defensive/holding midfielders to pick up the slack Palmer causes,

we don’t have one,

the best formation for him to play in for me is a 4-2-3-1

4 at the back 2 holding players two attacking wingers/wide players and Palmer in the middle behind the striker staying in the final third 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I by default don’t believe in anything the post writes about our club, they have a anti city bias at the head of that paper,

I normally wait for more reliable people like kid to back it up on here 

Listing multiple sources though is very unusual. Bad journalism but very unusual all the same.

I'll reserve judgement on anti City bias but listing 4, 5 sources by dept is drastic and could have ramifications beyond the usual IMO. 

49 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Harry "Source(s) you mean.

Original article stated and I quote:

Which changed to likely the more commonly seen:

Big difference? Unless it was a full on dupe and all of these were either taken out of context or making things up too?

The full original article copied from another site. Out and out copy and paste it appears.

https://www.not606.com/threads/bin-the-attitude-the-kasey-palmer-questions-answered-cup-match-summary.380582/

Nope. I mean Source. Singular. 

Do you think GMG was given information by players, their entourage, senior coaching staff, senior admin staff & others? If so, then a somewhat obtuse local reporter has been approached by at least 5 different people saying exactly the same things. Highly doubtful. 

More likely that one source has fed all of this to GMG and intimated it’s come from 5 different people. 

And my guess is that BCFC know who that person is and my guess is also that there is still some blowback to come on this. 

Archived