IGNORED

Arsenal v Leeds

Tinmans Love Child

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think Bielsa- if not for his at times erratic nature and baggage, would be perfect at a top club.

One of the top clubs as it goes...Barcelona. His philosophy is at one with theirs IMO.

Okay fair enough, there's more too it possibly- but stylistically and philosophy wise, I say again- at one!

You’re not wrong. In fact, Bielsa’s been a huge influence on Guardiola’s managerial career and has taught Pep a lot. Google Lo Suficientemente Loco (a book on Bielsa that Pep was obsessed with). The parallels between the two are obvious.

We can only stand back and dream of having someone of that quality in charge at the Gate. 

3 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

It's Anthony Taylor and he's had a shocking few weeks, he's decided he's not giving any decisions at all any more. He didn't give an obvious penalty on Rashford in the Manchester derby, which VAR then awarded. Then he gave that incident in the Spurs-Chelsea game as a foul on the Spurs keeper when he nearly took the striker's head off with a high boot, again overruled by VAR. Then he was also in charge of that shambolic Liverpool-Wolves game the other day.

Time for an enforced rest I think.Agree he's been bloody awful lately and making more and more ridiculous decisions or not making them at all.

38 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Don't doubt your knowledge of the particulars Spud. But why not "sack" Flint or Pack then? Freeman was there too wasn't he??

Why make an example of one player for something they were all guilty of? Ayling wasn't even  the one chucking the piss overboard.

Not just my knowledge...it's been all over the web.

Think Ayling was the one encouraging and got photographed. All over the papers. Didn't look good.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Ayling got moved on because SL wanted it done, because of the Cheltenham pissing incident. Nothing to do with LJs judgement ?

You are wrong regarding LJ (again) . From the horses mouth.

More publicly 

Even his ex Leeds team mate said 

The 28-year-old centre-back poked fun at Johnson saying 'Same guy who said Ayling isn't good enough for the Championship' 

4 minutes ago, Psychopomp said:

You are wrong regarding LJ (again) . From the horses mouth.

More publicly 

Even his ex Leeds team mate said 

The 28-year-old centre-back poked fun at Johnson saying 'Same guy who said Ayling isn't good enough for the Championship' 

Wasn't the reason he was got rid of though. He's not going to come out and say they got rid because of the pissing incident. Would look really foolish. He was told to get rid of him. So you are wrong...again ??

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Wasn't the reason he was got rid of though. He's not going to come out and say they got rid because of the pissing incident. Would look really foolish. He was told to get rid of him. So you are wrong...again ??

LJ also said that Leeds has offered Ayling  a ‘good financial package that we couldn’t match’......

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

LJ also said that Leeds has offered Ayling  a ‘good financial package that we couldn’t match’......

Indeed he did...everything said by LJ regarding Ayling was football related, to take it away from the real reason. It was deflected.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Indeed he did...everything said by LJ regarding Ayling was football related, to take it away from the real reason. It was deflected.

Of course it was deflection but most of us saw Ayling  on local news passing it up at Cheltenham races and drew our own conclusions.....

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Think Ayling was the one encouraging and got photographed. All over the papers. Didn't look good.

Indeed it didn't.

Perhaps the main thing I'm struggling with is this:

On SL's watch, Bradley Orr and Steve Brooker were sent to jail for violent disorder. Sent to jail! Yet wre allowed to continue with their City careers.

Luke Ayling - in your words - encouraged someone to tip some piss over a balcony. And was effectively sacked.

Go figure. 

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed it didn't.

On SL's watch, Bradley Orr and Steve Brooker were sent to jail for violent disorder. Sent to jail! Yet wre allowed to continue with their City careers.

Luke Ayling - in your words - encouraged someone to tip some piss over a balcony. And was effectively sacked.

Go figure. 

Different era. With social media etc being more powerful clubs are much more aware and conscious of image. At that time we were trying to build ours so I’m not surprised at the insinuation that someone needed to be made an example of.

3 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed it didn't.

Go figure. 

Because you go to prison doesnt mean you should lose your job or career tho does it? they got caught up in a fight whilst drunk pretty much everyone in uk has done at some point have you ever been to bristol on night out???

3 minutes ago, Highguy said:

Because you go to prison doesnt mean you should lose your job or career tho does it? they got caught up in a fight whilst drunk pretty much everyone in uk has done at some point have you ever been to bristol on night out???

From what I recall at the time there was a feeling that they'd been somewhat harshly treated in getting a custodial sentence as well?

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

From what I recall at the time there was a feeling that they'd been somewhat harshly treated in getting a custodial sentence as well?

Yeah was 28 days each dave partridge got 2 months and scott brown got 200 hours comm service but brooker was club captain and orr was a key player so judge used them as examples 

12 minutes ago, Highguy said:

you breach your contract "unavailable to work" as sa would say "you're fired"

18 minutes ago, reddoh said:

you breach your contract "unavailable to work" as sa would say "you're fired"

But also im contracts if you get arrested you have to tell your employer if your facing charges which they was so SL would make decision based on the charges

5 hours ago, Highguy said:

I don't believe I like the shape 'o youse nose laddy .....

The Cheltenham incident was the final straw, he was very much a lad prior to that and we as a club were not prepared to have players like that, Bristol City over the years have had plenty of these players and it's not the culture we want at our club, he was a bad egg and could be a disruptive influence. Just like Flint, he wasnt actually that good for us.

Now it appears, hes gone to Leeds, got his head down and is concentrating on his football, its debatable if he would have done that here.

Some times a player needs a change and a kick up the ass in order to change their ways and under Bielsas guidance he certainly seems to have done that.

The move was the right decision for both parties, we dont have Bielsa as manager so its unlikely he would be the player he is for Leeds, for us. 

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

The Cheltenham incident was the final straw, he was very much a lad prior to that and we as a club were not prepared to have players like that, Bristol City over the years have had plenty of these players and it's not the culture we want at our club, he was a bad egg and could be a disruptive influence. Just like Flint, he wasnt actually that good for us.

Now it appears, hes gone to Leeds, got his head down and is concentrating on his football, its debatable if he would have done that here.

Some times a player needs a change and a kick up the ass in order to change their ways and under Bielsas guidance he certainly seems to have done that.

The move was the right decision for both parties, we dont have Bielsa as manager so its unlikely he would be the player he is for Leeds, for us. 

What "incident" would this be, then? The one where two Mk don players behaved indecently, were fined by their clubs (and one was suspended), and "No City players were involved in any bad behaviour" according to LJ, but on a club sanctioned day out were on the same balcony as the miscreants, not misbehaving - that one?

9 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Indeed it didn't.

Go figure. 

Obviously tightened up on it all.

47 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

What "incident" would this be, then? The one where two Mk don players behaved indecently, were fined by their clubs (and one was suspended), and "No City players were involved in any bad behaviour" according to LJ, but on a club sanctioned day out were on the same balcony as the miscreants, not misbehaving - that one?

As I said, the player had a reputation for enjoying himself a little bit too much. It matters little that he wasnt the one pissing, the fact is he was pictured and plastered all over the news with those that were, bad judgement on his part. It also matters very little how the other clubs dealt with their players. That's upto them. As I said, this was the final straw after already being on a final warning from the club.

11 hours ago, Highguy said:

I didn't say they should lose their job tho did I! You're failing to get my point - which is about the relative seriousness of the incidents.

As for "they got caught up in a fight pretty much everyone in uk has done" - let me tell you this: at the time of the incident I was told by someone entirely trustworthy who'd seen CCTV of the incident and who works in Law that the players deserved everything they had coming to them. Midweek, club on Corn Street virtually empty, players acting like drunken dikheds to the point they get asked to leave; once outside they start an unprovoked, violent, drunken assault on door personnel. They deserved all they got but you want to pass it off as "just one of those things". Good for you.

11 hours ago, Northern Red said:

No.    

On SL's watch, Bradley Orr and Steve Brooker were sent to jail for violent disorder. Sent to jail! Yet wre allowed to continue with their City careers. 

?that sounds to me that your not happy they kept their careers after being sent to jail,

Spoken to some of the prison officers who locked the 2 players up each day and all the legal terms courts released brooker threw a bin and some bottles at bouncers? Orr threw punches is that 28 days in jail? Scott brown was shouting abuse and partridge was the one who caused the trouble hint he got the longest sentence

SL met them both the day they was released from horfield forba meeting before he made a decision.

So when ben stokes had a fight outside mbargos should he of been sent to jail and not allowed to play cricket for england again?

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

As I said, the player had a reputation for enjoying himself a little bit too much. It matters little that he wasnt the one pissing, the fact is he was pictured and plastered all over the news with those that were, bad judgement on his part. It also matters very little how the other clubs dealt with their players. That's upto them. As I said, this was the final straw after already being on a final warning from the club.

Oh right, ok. Didn’t know all this. The Mk don players, though, they were treated differently because they behaved differently, from Ayling, at Cheltenham, so I'd say it matters in that regard. 

When did this reputation you speak of date from, after Cotts left? After promotion? Before we signed him? 

One other observation as a neutral I would make.

Arsenal were going to improve- bound to, Leeds likewise with what is basically a high end Championship side were also unlikely to keep up that level- it's hard enough for even a lot of PL sides to I reckon. 

Renowned for not being clinical Leeds under Bielsa...definitely would need to replace Bamford as a first choice if they go up- useful option to have in and around the squad or maybe to bring on to hold the ball up, tactically etc late on but tbh looking from outside early, I was surprised he remained their first choice this season.

Also shows how a coach can improve a side...they made signings yes but also 5 changes from the League- yet a number of those players were there pre Bielsa...I actually think a number of those or a few anyway in the Leeds side aren't necessarily miles better than what we have in their equivelant positions.

Archived