IGNORED

A Timely Boost - Turning Point?

mozo

8 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

To have a dream come true, you got to have a dream! It's the cup, the Fa Cup, a cup famous for giant killings, so whilst you may wish to look at this as a negative, If we win through then I'll be having sleepless nights from excitement, just like I did when we played United and City. 

Every single lower league football club dreams of hosting the European and World Champions and the Premier League elect Champions because yea we might get beat but there is that slim chance that we could cause an upset, an upset we can all tell our grand children about.

I cant believe I'm even having to write this post.

3CAAFBF4-81AD-42D2-A7C3-F3A20643CDBA.jpeg

1 hour ago, mozo said:

The prospect of Liverpool at Ashton Gate and Eddie Nketiah's potential loan signing...

Just at a time when the fans are losing faith/interest, and the team appear to have completely lost their mojo, boy do we need something to change the mood!

Are these two developments what we need to get back on track for a play off push?

Both of which at the moment are hypothetical.

9 minutes ago, phantom said:

This shouldn't happen. Liverpool play the Thursday before and the Wednesday after the FA Cup weekend, so not a chance there will be any other than fringe players in the cup match

Yeah, I was allowing for that..! ??

2 hours ago, mozo said:

The prospect of Liverpool at Ashton Gate and Eddie Nketiah's potential loan signing...

Just at a time when the fans are losing faith/interest, and the team appear to have completely lost their mojo, boy do we need something to change the mood!

Are these two developments what we need to get back on track for a play off push?

I thought Nketiah was at Leeds?  Have I missed something?

51 minutes ago, mozo said:

Obviously the doomsday scenario is that Shrewsbury sign Nketiah on loan and he scores the winner to knock us out of the cup...

What an absolutely ridiculous comment.  Absolutely no chance of that happening.  He wasn't signed before the first game, so is ineligible for the replay against us.  Jeez.....Some people live in a fantasy land, they really do.....

?

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Think we need more than just a striker...we are haemorrhaging goals at the moment.

38 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He took one for the team, had he not committed the foul, it’s almost certainly 2-0

He'd lost his head. He was unprofessionally fighting/handbags with a Brentford player whilst the game was going on around him and on a card already. That's not to say he takes a full 80% of the blame... That doesn't leave enough for Hunt.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

We seem to have a very paranoid fanbase. Whilst we were in the play offs our fans were terrified of dropping out if the play offs, if we go one nil up, our fans become terrified of not holding on to that lead. You can feel it all around the stadium, long gone are the days where we used to believe! 

The way the players play, is a reflection of the mood within the stands. We as a club have become scared of losing. You can smell the fear around the place and when that happens, it becomes harder to win. The players are terrified of making a mistake because even a simple misplaced pass draws huge groans from the crowd. Ashton Gate is not currently an enjoyable place to play football. Players are afraid to express themselves.

Of course we have the whole chicken and egg scenario where fans will say if the players put the effort in then we will too but the reality is it needs a effort from both players and fans, our fans need to be less toxic and more encouraging.

Many of us do not believe any more because, this season especially, the home form is appalling. A dull first half when we play slow passes at the back, nobody goes forward with any purpose, most of the support is asleep by half time. Second half, more often than not, or so it seems, we are chasing the game for a late goal to save ourselves.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Still probably lose though.

@italian dave Tactical issue too? Williams by dint of his age as opposed to style, is NOT suited to a higher line.

Possibly, but that’s still a small% compared to the ‘red mist’ that descended on Williams and then overwhelmed him!

Yellow card 2 mins earlier, same player, dunno what Watkins said to him but boy it worked. He really should have known better. 

And Brentford are probably the last team in the whole league you’d want to play 80 mins with 10 men

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness, we were a goal down and then down to 10 vs Brentford from 15 mins onwards.

Brentford's baseline performance is better than WBA and with 10 for 75 mins vs such a strong passing side, it was only going one way. Brentford were coasting a bit for periods but we also seemed to work hard to try and stay in the game- well to keep the score down- I thought, but the late collapse didn't surprise too much.

It's hard enough vs them with 11 and at 0-0, often!

Brentford always give us a battering and totally out-class us even when it's 11 V 11

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Isn't it more that there will be almost 27,000 in Ashton Gate, proper atmosphere for a change, Klopp on the touchline... how could that not lift the spirits of players and fans?

Then Nketiah bags the winner in front of the South Stand... :clapping:

He'll hit the post at Gay Meadow before that though and we'll go out.

16 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Possibly, but that’s still a small% compared to the ‘red mist’ that descended on Williams and then overwhelmed him!

Yellow card 2 mins earlier, same player, dunno what Watkins said to him but boy it worked. He really should have known better. 

And Brentford are probably the last team in the whole league you’d want to play 80 mins with 10 men

Oh yeah, the tackle looking at it again was a tad out of control..last man, clear straight red- this was not linked to the earlier yellow card, except maybe that he was still riled perhaps.

It reminds me a bit though of John Terry and his problems under certain managers...he had a lot of attributes but pace wasn't one. Late recovery surges...actually not suited to playing a higher line. 

When CBs pass 30, higher lines can become all the more difficult- this I think is a part of our issue.

Just watched the Williams straight red on BCFC highlights on YouTube several times, moving it forward and back, pausing etc.

From 1:50-1:54, you can see how slow he is- scrambling to get back into position and the mistimed tackle possibly a direct result- highish line, not suited now he's 35!

Was not a good piece of play by Kalas though. Easy to say now, but I think Moore would've got the tackle cleaner simply because of greater pace and agility- down to age.

ANyway, back to positives- yes it could be a turning point.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

We seem to have a very paranoid fanbase. Whilst we were in the play offs our fans were terrified of dropping out if the play offs, if we go one nil up, our fans become terrified of not holding on to that lead. You can feel it all around the stadium, long gone are the days where we used to believe! 

The way the players play, is a reflection of the mood within the stands. We as a club have become scared of losing. You can smell the fear around the place and when that happens, it becomes harder to win. The players are terrified of making a mistake because even a simple misplaced pass draws huge groans from the crowd. Ashton Gate is not currently an enjoyable place to play football. Players are afraid to express themselves.

Of course we have the whole chicken and egg scenario where fans will say if the players put the effort in then we will too but the reality is it needs a effort from both players and fans, our fans need to be less toxic and more encouraging.

Quite possibly some truth in what you say UTC. However, do you not think some of this comes from LJ's approach? Pretty common view on here that he over complicates, doesn't get the shape/tactics quite right, has to change it mid-game. I think that encourages unease amongst the fans. Square pegs in round holes out on the pitch. Paranoia, if you like, though every opponent is "out to get us" & nick the points. Nature of football everywhere that games are often won by only a single goal & the crowd will be on edge. Food for thought? 

2 hours ago, BCFC-Tom said:

Nonsense, we didn’t lose 7-0 when playing Man City and Man Utd with both playing their first 11 near enough did we 

No. But we were flying & buzzing at the time of those games. 
I just thought I’d have a slice of the negative pie that everyone seems to have been munching on..! 

I think its exactly what we needed. A chance to recharge and focus both on and off the pitch.

Looking at how Leeds played last night shows you how to play and although to some it may seem like a million miles away, with a few tweaks to the playing personnel I think we could get near them. 

Let's get that feel good factor back, its what we all want FFS!

2 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Hopefully a turning point was LJ having a few days off to reflect on his tactics. Being  humble and going back to basics and somehow getting the best out of this squad. That would be a lot more welcome than any signing or one off cup game. 

Nope you are going to be disappointed, in his own words "get my teeth into a little bit of recruitment" maybe if he didnt overload his players heads with fog and boxes and plans, and just let them play we may advance and they wouldnt need a break?  bad plan anyway as they probably wont be "back up to speed" by Saturday.

More players to train or bring on deff no, we have too many already. Players that have exp of this div and are proven in it, yes please. No doubt it wont be long before he overloads their heads as well mind, hopefully sell them on before he does.

9 hours ago, mozo said:

Obviously the doomsday scenario is that Shrewsbury sign Nketiah on loan and he scores the winner to knock us out of the cup...

Impossible......

.....he wasn’t registered with Shrewsbury ahead of the first game, so is ineligible to play for them (or us for that matter) until rd4. 

Archived