IGNORED

So, Will We Do Our Usual Thing....?

7 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I always thought Tammy was essentially a poacher. For us, anyway. 

Think he had a bit more looking back...Nketiah didn't fit Bielsa's system clearly, though it could also be argued he didn't get a proper crack.

There's definitely been a decline of the poacher in the last 10-20 years though! 

Following this argument though and on balance I would like to see us sign Nketiah, could it be to the detriment of other areas of the team, balance etc in order to give him the chances that he'd need?

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Arsenal do want his loan sorted asap.

Problem is, like most players, Nketiah has an agent. And a greedy one at that; who wants to squeeze every last penny out of the deal for himself. 

In these cases you would think that the club’s  representatives would point to the elephant in the room and tell him to wind his neck in . 

The agent is the least important person in the deal. 

He should be looking out for his client above all.

16 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

In these cases you would think that the club’s  representatives would point to the elephant in the room and tell him to wind his neck in . 

The agent is the least important person in the deal. 

He should be looking out for his client above all.

Increasingly influential...just part of the modern game isn't it?

Someone I work with who used to work at a PL football club in London in the mid 2000s, not one of the top ones but one of the midrankiong ones told me that Directors had cars to a certain level, players to another one...but the best and flashest cars? Agents.

Did Ronaldo not buy Mendes an island off Greece? Did Raiola not make multiple tens of millions from Pogba sale?

Just have to 'play the game' unfortunately. Somewhere between £20-40m for Raiola in that deal I believe.

Pros & Cons. Wait until near the month's end and the best players will have been signed by other clubs. On the other hand, selling clubs may be desperate for cash and take a reduced offer for players they need to off load.

11 hours ago, Scrumpys Dietary Advisor.. said:

which is to wait all month to try and save a few quid and then end up making a distinctly underwhelming signing on the 31st January or, is the club actually going to get off it's collective arse and get the player(s) that we have identified that we want in, NOW

Year after year after year, the club waits until the last day of the window and misses out on the January games, usually it is 4 or 5 but this time, it Is only 3. 

2017 we brought in Hegeler, Djuric & Wright in the first week of January with Taylor following at the end. 
Which was the exception to our usual business certainly. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He has lots of talent and in my opinion could easily be one of the best forwards in the league.. however it's up to us to cater to his style and get the best out of him. Stylistically he's a bit like Brett Pitman, but far better and quicker - he's a true poacher. It's up to us to make the most of him. No point lumping high balls up and hoping one sticks, we need to utilise the likes of Palmer and Eliasson.

He's exactly the sort of player who'll bring the best out of Palmer so that's another positive. Really promising signing if it happens. 

If he's even half the finisher Pitman was then we'll be in for a treat.

He won't score the variety of goals that Pitman was capable of, but may well go on to have a better overall career granted.

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

A club that should be excluded from the CL for financial reasons tbh!!

Given how much they spend, the heart bleeds haha...points docked (yeah, right) and CL ban I hope.

Think you might’ve missed the somewhat sarcastic message of my post-cum-poem Pops. 

3 hours ago, pillred said:

Perhaps he's a poet but doesn't know it.

Don’t know about that. 
But I know that he who smelt it dealt it! 

6 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Perhaps City want a Rolls Royce for Morris Minor money? Could that be why we get left overs?

FFP was a problem in 2018 and was a consideration last January- though I think we could have taken more of a chance in that window on the striker front.

That's why we didn't loan a Mitrovic or a Grabban in Jan 2018 e.g.- if we'd got either of course.

7 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I am sure We  would like to land our targets early but for the moment we are not the most attractive club courting the level of player we’re looking to bring in .

Do you really believe that Nketiah is not wanted by bigger , sexier clubs than lil ol Bristol City ? 

We could bring in nobodies , who are not wanted elsewhere, immediately  because there is no competition for their signatures. 

Which do you prefer ? 

Hasn't worked for us so far has it in the main.

2 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Hasn't worked for us so far has it in the main.

Think that's a bit harsh on our recruitment in recent times tbh.

There have certainly been some terrible ones but a number for whom jury out IMO. Injuries also deplete promise, potential.

Then we have the question as to whether LJ can get the best out of players from levels above where he played...there's been an increasing number and one worrying trend that I've noticed is that they seem to regress under LJ. Not all of course but decent enough numbers IMO so that we can't just say bad luck or bad attitude- the odd bad apple.

Archived