IGNORED

xG Daniel Bentley

And Its Smith

3 hours ago, RedDave said:

I hate xG but know that a lot of people use it as their oracle so sharing this which indicates that Bentley hasn’t had a great season so far.  Would be interested to hear from those that love xG and also think Bentley has been excellent as to how they see this.

60CB6193-5D65-42E1-BEBD-3E0E443D12A5.png

Bentleys save % is pretty good on there not excellent but good.

The thing I dont like about this is a keeper could have 10 shots in top hand corner and shouldn't be able to save any yet says saves 50% which would be class. Yet another keeper has 10 rolled straight down the middle and saves 9 which looks so much better on stats but I know which one I would be happier with.

1 minute ago, Littlesh*t said:

Bentleys save % is pretty good on there not excellent but good.

The thing I dont like about this is a keeper could have 10 shots in top hand corner and shouldn't be able to save any yet says saves 50% which would be class. Yet another keeper has 10 rolled straight down the middle and saves 9 which looks so much better on stats but I know which one I would be happier with.

That’s the point of the xG column, as I understand it - it takes into account the difficulty of every shot. So a goalkeeper who faces a lot of close-range or too corner shots will be expected to concede a lot of goals. Here the statistics suggest Bentley has not had the most difficult of shots against him compared to the number of goals conceded. 

3 minutes ago, Distortia said:

That’s the point of the xG column, as I understand it - it takes into account the difficulty of every shot. So a goalkeeper who faces a lot of close-range or too corner shots will be expected to concede a lot of goals. Here the statistics suggest Bentley has not had the most difficult of shots against him compared to the number of goals conceded. 

Ok fair enough I don't really understand exactly how it works. All I know is I am pretty confident when bentley is in goal. I used to be so nervous when the ball went anywhere near fielding 

9 minutes ago, Littlesh*t said:

Ok fair enough I don't really understand exactly how it works. All I know is I am pretty confident when bentley is in goal. I used to be so nervous when the ball went anywhere near fielding 

Believe what you see with your own eyes would by my suggestion. COYR 

Overall I’ve been really impressed with Bentley. He’s passionate and has made some fantastic saves. 

His form has dipped in the last few games, like the rest of the team’s, and his distribution has become more jittery - but I think that’s more to do with what’s going on in front of him. 

I took my 9 year old nephew to the Luton match over Christmas. He doesn't usually go to football so I was hoping it'd be an exciting game for his sake. Luckily, City played well and he was buzzing. At one point in the first half Bentley had the ball in his hands at the end of a Luton attack and quick as a flash threw it out to the left wing. My nephew looked up at me, eyes wide and said 'did you see he just threw the ball half the WHOLE pitch!' After the game he kept coming back to that throw. 

Perhaps I should have tried to explain to him that although he makes loads of saves and has a superhuman throwing arm, Bentley's performance against one key xG metric is actually mediocre... But then really who cares! My nephew thinks Bentley is amazing and so do I.

He has actually faced more shots (124) than any other keeper, which tells us what we already knew that the

defenders (the whole team) are not very good at holding on to the ball and protecting him. He has not let in

one of the highest numbers of goals conceded in the division because he is a bad keeper, its the dross that

is in front of him.

• Admin
11 minutes ago, Judda said:

What worries me is I look at that and see 2nd highest shots against....

I have been saying on other threads, our need for a striker pales into insignificance compared to our need for a defensive overhaul.  We are conceding far too many and that is no reflection on the keeper, but the midfield and defence in front of him.  

He is, IMO, a good keeper for Championship level. Mostly he makes quick and well judged decisions although, like all keepers, if he gets it wrong, it usually ends up in the net.

My only concern with his quality is that he has a tendency to save some shots by parrying the ball back toward the attacking forwards. Two of Brentford's goals came like this.

The coaching staff should work with him to either catch the shots or parry sideways or over the bar.

As a youngster who wanted to be a goalkeeper, I was told that if you cannot catch a shot or cross, then deflect it round the post or over the bar.

But I'm content with his performances.

4 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I have been saying on other threads, our need for a striker pales into insignificance compared to our need for a defensive overhaul.  We are conceding far too many and that is no reflection on the keeper, but the midfield and defence in front of him.  

Agree, although I think our defensive frailties are almost nothing to do with the players we have, as they are all good enough. 

When we played 3-5-2 we were generally solid at the back, barring a couple of abborations when we conceded most of our goals in 4 games, Leeds, WBA, Preston and Luton, our defensive record was generally decent. We weren't allowing chances and although I would expect Bentley shots faced was still high, most were from 20 yards plus, so generally meat and drink other than the very odd top bins strike. 

However this system has impacts on our forward play, and it does mean that you either have to just stick Eliasson in out of position or not play him. 

The other system we seem to favour is 4-4-2 which literally exposes all of our weaknesses, our full backs have limitations, JD is tiny so can be susceptible to a diagonal ball over his head, and Hunt is positionally suspect so again is susceptible to the same ball as JD, as well as just being done 1 on 1 as he's not a good defender. 

With just the 2 cm, most teams can always have space to make these passes that expose our defence meaning we are up against it, also it exposes that Fam and Wieman are not a good partnership, Wieman is often off running the channels instead of being beyond Fam to win flicks and be available for Fam to turn and play him through. The only thing that 4-4-2 gives us is somewhere to play Eliasson. 

We need to either go back to 3-5-2 and accept we will not be interesting to watch, or play a system that as far as I can tell we have built our squad to play as half the signings make no sense if we don't and that's 4-2-3-1. This formation means we don't have 3 CDM competing for 1 place, it means signing Palmer and Smodzic make sense as what's the point of having 2 ACM if you are going to play 2 in midfield. It gets the best out of both Fam and Wieman as Wieman is a wide player and is at his best there and is dangerous coming into the box from wide to get his head on crosses, and as shown against Brentford and for most of his time here Fam is bloody good up top on his own with the attacking mid / number 10 breaking beyond him. 

It gives Eliasson space to work on the left flank while having the security of the 2 sitting midfielders to protect the defence, it also means we can close effectively and nullify the balls that cause us problems defensively. 

I still cannot fathom why we are not playing this system. 

In simple terms, ignoring stats, I’ve been more than happy with Bentley.

In the main he’s saved the shots I expect him to. He’s saved a number I thought would be goals, so that is a big plus.

Does he fill me with as much confidence as Niki Maenpaa when crosses, corners and set pieces are put into / around the 6 yard box? No.

You won’t get a perfect keeper at this level.

More than happy to have both challenging each other.

Will be interesting to see the selection. dynamic when JoJo is included. 

1 minute ago, Spoons said:

He's definitely an improvement on some previous keepers, especially Fielding who I really didn’t rate after one of his kicks knocked my thermos over and spilled hot coffee over lap . Had a few bad games recently but haven't all of them. 

Not quite sure he's a future England keeper as LJ was quoted earlier in the season. 

???

34 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I would say the defence is let down by the midfield rather than us having a particularly weak defence.

2 minutes ago, BS3City said:

I've not seen anything of JoJo, although aware obviously that he's been starting for FGR. Is he at a level to compete with Maenpaa and Bentley?

Great news if he is...?

Not yet imho, but he’s really come on a lot in the last 18 months. Athletic. Certainly catching up Max. Will be good experience for him. 

17 minutes ago, Spoons said:

He's definitely an improvement on previous keepers. Had a few bad games recently but haven't all of them. 

Not quite sure he's a future England keeper as LJ was quoted earlier in the season. 

He’s been good this season but talk of England is nonsense. I’d have him tenth choice 

57 minutes ago, Spud55 said:

Agree, although I think our defensive frailties are almost nothing to do with the players we have, as they are all good enough. 

When we played 3-5-2 we were generally solid at the back, barring a couple of abborations when we conceded most of our goals in 4 games, Leeds, WBA, Preston and Luton, our defensive record was generally decent. We weren't allowing chances and although I would expect Bentley shots faced was still high, most were from 20 yards plus, so generally meat and drink other than the very odd top bins strike. 

However this system has impacts on our forward play, and it does mean that you either have to just stick Eliasson in out of position or not play him. 

The other system we seem to favour is 4-4-2 which literally exposes all of our weaknesses, our full backs have limitations, JD is tiny so can be susceptible to a diagonal ball over his head, and Hunt is positionally suspect so again is susceptible to the same ball as JD, as well as just being done 1 on 1 as he's not a good defender. 

With just the 2 cm, most teams can always have space to make these passes that expose our defence meaning we are up against it, also it exposes that Fam and Wieman are not a good partnership, Wieman is often off running the channels instead of being beyond Fam to win flicks and be available for Fam to turn and play him through. The only thing that 4-4-2 gives us is somewhere to play Eliasson. 

We need to either go back to 3-5-2 and accept we will not be interesting to watch, or play a system that as far as I can tell we have built our squad to play as half the signings make no sense if we don't and that's 4-2-3-1. This formation means we don't have 3 CDM competing for 1 place, it means signing Palmer and Smodzic make sense as what's the point of having 2 ACM if you are going to play 2 in midfield. It gets the best out of both Fam and Wieman as Wieman is a wide player and is at his best there and is dangerous coming into the box from wide to get his head on crosses, and as shown against Brentford and for most of his time here Fam is bloody good up top on his own with the attacking mid / number 10 breaking beyond him. 

It gives Eliasson space to work on the left flank while having the security of the 2 sitting midfielders to protect the defence, it also means we can close effectively and nullify the balls that cause us problems defensively. 

I still cannot fathom why we are not playing this system. 

For the simple reason that our full backs have weaknesses, and we don’t have 2 solid holding central midfielders at present. 
Agree though, it’s the formation that suits our players going forward, but until we are more solid defensively, leaves us vulnerable.

Archived