IGNORED

Shrewsbury away tickets.

BCFC1512

1 hour ago, Portland Bill said:

Would it be that much of a pay day though?. The reason I say that is that we only get 45% of the gate for FA cup ties? 

Yes we would get tv money, but only gate money from the equivalent of a approximately 12,000 home crowd. 

£130,000 for winning the game.£150,00 from TV deal + gate money etc......It's a big wedge.

22 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

That would've been Christmas 77/78, Forest on their way to being Champions of England. Think there is some footage of the goals of that game on YouTube somewhere. 

21 hours ago, archie andrews said:

new years eve 77 …..don't recall crowd at 35k though

21 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

About 31k, just under 32 (officially), if memory serves 

You owe the club £1.75p then.

My recollection of the Forest game in 1977/78 was that it was played on New Year's Eve when Forest had been promoted the previous season and were storming the 1st Division, which paved the way for them to win the European Cup in 1979 and 1980.  They played us off the park that day and won 1-3.

The reason that the capacity was now down to around 31,000, after AG had 38,000 in when they played Liverpool in the last home game (only 7 months before) of the 76/77 season, was that the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 had been implemented by Avon County Council (there's a blast from the past for lovers of all things related to Local Authorities!) during the summer of 1977.  As most of the ground back then was Standing areas (The Dolman and the back of the "Grandstand" or "Williams" being the only seated areas) the calculations were based mainly on what was considered safe for standing re the space on the terraces, with segregation etc. being factored in. 

I think the attendance for the Forest game took the club by surprise, and league games were rarely all-ticket affairs (the Liverpool league game with the 38,0000 mentioned earlier was, amazingly, not all-ticket).  I think the reasons for this was that Clough's Forest had taken everyone by surprise, but were fast becoming the talk of football and the team to watch, added to the fact that City were going really well that season, relegations worries from 76/77 were a distant memory, and we had just thrashed West Brom 3-1 at home on Boxing Day.  I arrived at the usual time (if not a bit earlier) and by that time the East End had been shut, and the only turnstiles  still open for were at the Park End, so watched the game from there.

IIRC no one was locked out as the Club took the decision to try and get everyone in, rather than risk fans kicking off outside the ground because they couldn't see the game.  As it turned out, the official attendance was around 500 above the official capacity, and the Club were investigated by Avon CC to account for why they exceeded the new capacity.  I believe the Council were OK with the explanation but gave the club a slap on the wrists ie "don't let it happen again".  Which of course they did years later in the  90s in that game against the Gas, a few years after the ground had become all-seated and people were sat in the aisles! 

3 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Thinking about going to this. Thinking about driving to Newport and then getting the train upto Shrewsbury from there. Anyone have any advice of getting to and from Shrewsburys ground from the train station? 

Used to be able to hop over a fence and you were there................such is "progress" !

11 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Thinking about going to this. Thinking about driving to Newport and then getting the train upto Shrewsbury from there. Anyone have any advice of getting to and from Shrewsburys ground from the train station? 

Think it's a fair old distance from the station. Near an 'out of town' retail park. I'd check the time it will take to get from the ground to the station after the game, and what time the train leaves for Newport.

Google says it's three miles in the car, 2.3 miles if walking.

1 minute ago, Red Grovesy said:

Think it's a fair old distance from the station. Near an 'out of town' retail park. I'd check the time it will take to get from the ground to the station after the game, and what time the train leaves for Newport.

Google says it's three miles in the car, 2.3 miles if walking.

There is trains back to Newport at 10ish and 11ish, thinking of going for the 11ish one to give me a but of a buffer, especially if it goes to extra time. 

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Shrewsbury Railway Station is just over two miles away from the Greenhous Meadow Stadium, so if you do decide to walk it is going to take around 40 minutes. Otherwise you can grab a taxi up to the ground which should cost about £5 (although I have heard that taxis at the station can sometimes be scarce, so you may wish to find the number of a local firm before you go). Alternatively, you can catch the Meole Brace Park & Ride service (operated by Arriva) from the railway station which takes you to the Meole Brace Retail Park, which is close to the stadium. Services on Saturday afternoons run every ten minutes and the cost of a ticket is £1.60. It doesn't run though in the evenings. There is a Football Special Bus Service that runs from the Town Centre Bus Station up to the stadium, which costs £2.50, In addition, bus service numbers 8, 16, 23, 25 and 544/546 all stop near to the stadium (but are rather sparse or non-existent in the late evening after midweek games). The Football Special Bus Service promptly departs from behind the South Stand, ten minutes after the final whistle back to the town centre. Shrewsbury train station is served by trains from Birmingham New Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Crewe and Newport (Gwent).

1 hour ago, New Dazzler said:

My recollection of the Forest game in 1977/78 was that it was played on New Year's Eve when Forest had been promoted the previous season and were storming the 1st Division, which paved the way for them to win the European Cup in 1979 and 1980.  They played us off the park that day and won 1-3.

The reason that the capacity was now down to around 31,000, after AG had 38,000 in when they played Liverpool in the last home game (only 7 months before) of the 76/77 season, was that the Safety of Sports Grounds Act 1975 had been implemented by Avon County Council (there's a blast from the past for lovers of all things related to Local Authorities!) during the summer of 1977.  As most of the ground back then was Standing areas (The Dolman and the back of the "Grandstand" or "Williams" being the only seated areas) the calculations were based mainly on what was considered safe for standing re the space on the terraces, with segregation etc. being factored in. 

I think the attendance for the Forest game took the club by surprise, and league games were rarely all-ticket affairs (the Liverpool league game with the 38,0000 mentioned earlier was, amazingly, not all-ticket).  I think the reasons for this was that Clough's Forest had taken everyone by surprise, but were fast becoming the talk of football and the team to watch, added to the fact that City were going really well that season, relegations worries from 76/77 were a distant memory, and we had just thrashed West Brom 3-1 at home on Boxing Day.  I arrived at the usual time (if not a bit earlier) and by that time the East End had been shut, and the only turnstiles  still open for were at the Park End, so watched the game from there.

IIRC no one was locked out as the Club took the decision to try and get everyone in, rather than risk fans kicking off outside the ground because they couldn't see the game.  As it turned out, the official attendance was around 500 above the official capacity, and the Club were investigated by Avon CC to account for why they exceeded the new capacity.  I believe the Council were OK with the explanation but gave the club a slap on the wrists ie "don't let it happen again".  Which of course they did years later in the  90s in that game against the Gas, a few years after the ground had become all-seated and people were sat in the aisles! 

That Forest performance was the best I've ever seen at AG, Woodcock & Robertson were un-playable, what an absolute genius Clough was. 

• Admin
37 minutes ago, Zookeeper WSM said:

Anyone know what happens if your tickets don’t arrive by the day of the game? Can you get them reprinted at the ground if you have proof of purchase?

Duplicates can be arranged and you collect them at Shrewsbury 

Best thing would be to liaise with @JerrySLO

3 hours ago, weymouth red said:

Still plenty left we just got three ?

Screenshot_20200111-142150_Samsung Internet.jpg

On 08/01/2020 at 11:32, Mr Popodopolous said:

Did we sell out Man City away, despite being just after Christmas and on a Tuesday night?

Think we'd definitely sell out that allocation at Anfield tbh.

Be a total embarrassment if we didn’t manage to sell out just to STH. 

11 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Be a total embarrassment if we didn’t manage to sell out just to STH. 

That would mean more than 1 in 2 STH's going, including a large number of u.14's on a school night.

I'm a STH and I wouldn't go.

If fewer than 8k Bristolians want to go up to Liverpool midweek to see City take on Liverpool reserves why would that be an embarrassment?

Many glory hunting day trippers would no doubt go to see Anfield, see Liverpool, and say they were there; many STH's would not imo.

Question is, have we got enough glory hunters in Bristol to avoid the 'embarrassment' of not selling 8k tickets for that match, should it happen?

It tends to be smaller clubs than City who get excited about 'big' cup ties on PL grounds, so not 'embarrassing' at all if City didn't sell 8k.afaic., almost the opposite if anything.

1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That would mean more than 1 in 2 STH's going, including a large number of u.14's on a school night.

If fewer than 8k Bristolians want to go up to Liverpool midweek to see City take on Liverpool reserves why would that be an embarrassment?

Many glory hunting day trippers would no doubt go to see Anfield, see Liverpool, and say they were there; many STH's would not imo.

Question is, have we got enough glory hunters in Bristol to avoid the 'embarrassment' of not selling 8k tickets for that match, should it happen?

It tends to be smaller clubs than City who get excited about 'big' cup ties on PL grounds, so not 'embarrassing' at all if City didn't sell 8k.afaic., almost the opposite if anything.

I didn’t think we’d get anywhere near selling the amount we did for Man City. 
At the end of the day, we’ve been starved of big glamour fixtures for the best part of 4 decades. 
We do, rightly so, get over excited about big cup ties because we’ve not had them become common place as league fixtures in that time. 
No doubt we’d sell at least 6/7k for any replay at Anfield. Highly unlikely to be proven though..! 

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I didn’t think we’d get anywhere near selling the amount we did for Man City. 
At the end of the day, we’ve been starved of big glamour fixtures for the best part of 4 decades. 
We do, rightly so, get over excited about big cup ties because we’ve not had them become common place as league fixtures in that time. 
No doubt we’d sell at least 6/7k for any replay at Anfield. Highly unlikely to be proven though..! 

I said earlier I wasn't sure 8.1k would even sell out, let alone to STH's.

If you think we'd sell 6-7k out of an 8.1k allocation you've confirmed you feel the same.

'Only' selling 6-7k as you envisage would apparently be embarrassing to some, can't imagine why.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Rochdale are taking 9k to Newcastle tonight, also a school night. We would sell out our allocation at Anfield no problem.

Archived