IGNORED

Who is your premier league team?

antlers

I have been asked this on a number of occasions, and it gets right on my tits. I have met a lot of people following City over the years and can honestly say not a single one supports another team in England as well as City.

However, having a conversation in work about the potential Liverpool cup tie, turns out a number of people 'support' City and Liverpool. A few others piped up saying they 'support' City and Man United etc. It baffled me that you can support 2 teams, I really done get it? I have not known of these people going to football on a regular basis, so it might just be an armchair thing. I know of a few fans who follow teams abroad as well as City, and i get that. A chance to go to another country and watch some footy with zero chance that the 2 teams will meet.

But I'm just curious if anyone is an active fan of another team in England i.e attend games for both City and a Premier League (or any other side for that matter?).

3 minutes ago, antlers said:

I have been asked this on a number of occasions, and it gets right on my tits. I have met a lot of people following City over the years and can honestly say not a single one supports another team in England as well as City.

However, having a conversation in work about the potential Liverpool cup tie, turns out a number of people 'support' City and Liverpool. A few others piped up saying they 'support' City and Man United etc. It baffled me that you can support 2 teams, I really done get it? I have not known of these people going to football on a regular basis, so it might just be an armchair thing. I know of a few fans who follow teams abroad as well as City, and i get that. A chance to go to another country and watch some footy with zero chance that the 2 teams will meet.

But I'm just curious if anyone is an active fan of another team in England i.e attend games for both City and a Premier League (or any other side for that matter?).

Watch rangers 4 or 5 times a season .

My father was a Cardiff City fan and started following Liverpool when John Toshack signed for them.  That’s stuck and I still have acsoft spot for Liverpool though I’m not a ‘supporter’ of course.  When we were at school in the 60s/70s we all had a second team in the first division, usually Spurs, Man Utd or Liverpool.  The other big team was Leeds Utd, but nobody liked them...

40 minutes ago, antlers said:

Prefer to say "follow/take an interest in". Liverpool. 

Support? Wtf? I'm Bristolian and there are hardly enough free weekends and evenings to support City at times. Why/how would I support another team? 

I've conferred with my son on this too. He doesn't get it either. 

I genuinely don’t think you can “support” another team. When City lose, I’m annoyed, it affects my mood at times and I don’t feel that way about any other football team, including the national one.

What you can do, and most do, is respect and want another team to win because of maybe the way they play football, maybe other factors. Examples here such as I’d like Liverpool to win the league because of how they play, and because I’ve never forgotten the post Tinnion Ovation. Prior to this season I wanted Chelsea to lose as I hated the arrogance, but I don’t mind them doing OK now because of Tammy. I’d like Sheffield Utd to stay up because of the way the clubs run.

Summary - I don’t believe you can support two teams. But you can prefer more than one team winning.

Any preventative/unfortunate circumstances aside, does anyone consider City supporters who don't go to games (never have and never will) as "supporters"? 

I certainly don't. Same applies if you support a Prem team who you don't watch in person either. I'm sure Liverpool fans who live in Anfield are, likewise, sick of people pretending to be supporters. 

It's their club. 

• Admin

Never been able to understand it, I watch Premier League games, I have a dislike of Liverpool(but Klopp is doing his best to overturn that....) I watch the games as a neutral.

I do get when people move miles away and cannot travel back for regular home games they adopt their local team, maybe in time it’s possible to completely switch to another team, but I just don’t get my head around supporting a team from a town you have no connection with.

I used to like Arsenal, I'd watch their games if they were on, even stay in sometimes if I knew I could watch them. In all honesty, I would be annoyed if they lost too, I did quite like them. 

I only started getting a ST for City when I was 15 or so. Maybe you could say Arsenal were my "prem team" .

However, since the Nketiah saga, every time I see them on TV I want them to lose badly. 

Going from liking them for 20 years, to wanting them to be destroyed every week shows how insignificant any other team is when in comparison to the mighty cider. 

None.

Some clubs I quite like...I admire their philosophy or similar- examples include Ajax and youth, Atalanta youth, selling yet great brand of football and above the odd, Athletic Bilbao having an all local policy and like to see Sheffield United bloodying a few noses but beyond that...

Don't actively support anyone else though.

National teams, well part English, Irish, Italian so have to support all of them I suppose, on some level!

Don’t support any side other than City (and England). 

I do ENJOY watching any football though - I like the way Liverpool play, I enjoyed the Arsenal v Leeds game the other day and I’ve even popped down the road to watch Swindon a few times - but that’s different to SUPPORTING another team. There’s only Bristol City for me.  

I love watching any football at any level but only support City.

It annoys me when people I meet say “what football team do you support?” and I say “Bristol City” and they respond with “yeah, yeah but what Premier League team do you support?”!

There are many fans of the top Premier League teams who have such a superiority complex they seem to think no other football exists. 

1 hour ago, antlers said:

Those people that you are referring to, claim to support 2 teams, when in reality, they don’t support any. 

Armchair Premier league “fans” are no more a supporter than one of Eastenders, Star Trek, Casualty, or any other TV programme. 

I pity them in many ways, but I also have very little time for anyone who doesn’t support their home team, whichever one it may be. 

It’s fine to “like”/“follow” a preferred team in a different division, but how shallow must someone be to pay affinity to a club that’s 100’s of miles away that they’ve rarely (if ever) seen play..?!

2 guys i work with, one a Liverpool fan the other Man U both insisted that i must have another side I support, "you can't just support Bristol City surely?"

I'm a fan of football, i'll watch any decent side and have appreciated and enjoyed plenty of good teams over the years but i've only ever been emotionally invested in City and England.

I'm from Portsmouth, a fan of the club and had a season ticket there in my teens. I still go to watch them with my friends. 

I've been living in Bristol for 12 years, City ST holder for 10 now, my wife is Bristolian. 

Nothing wrong with supporting more than one club, some people might say I'm not a "real" city fan but I've put thousands of pounds into my local league club, watching them home and away so don't really care.

Growing up in London supported Tottenham attended first match in 62 watching the likes of Greaves and Blanchflower,followed them home and away until the early 80's .Best season was the promotion year after relegation .

Moved to Bristol and attended first City game v Chelsea in the cup, no time for anyone who doesn't support their local club so ensured both my sons became season ticket holders.As Bristolians it is now part of their DNA

When asked I always say support City but have a soft spot for Spurs.

Archived