IGNORED

Who is your premier league team?

antlers

9 minutes ago, Murray's Mint said:

Everton ?

I was about 8 and they were the first team I started to follow as they were having a bit of success in the mid eighties, most other kids at school supported Liverpool, Man Utd or Rovers and I wanted to be a bit different. Not long after I started going to City matches, so ended up having 2 teams that I followed. Still love both teams, but whenever they’ve played each other I’ve always wanted city to win as they’re my local team.

I know people say you can’t support 2 different teams but you honestly can, regardless of how good or bad they are. 

Might be more difficult if both teams were in the same division I guess.

5 hours ago, antlers said:

I have been asked this on a number of occasions, and it gets right on my tits. I have met a lot of people following City over the years and can honestly say not a single one supports another team in England as well as City.

However, having a conversation in work about the potential Liverpool cup tie, turns out a number of people 'support' City and Liverpool. A few others piped up saying they 'support' City and Man United etc. It baffled me that you can support 2 teams, I really done get it? I have not known of these people going to football on a regular basis, so it might just be an armchair thing. I know of a few fans who follow teams abroad as well as City, and i get that. A chance to go to another country and watch some footy with zero chance that the 2 teams will meet.

But I'm just curious if anyone is an active fan of another team in England i.e attend games for both City and a Premier League (or any other side for that matter?).

City through and through and always will be but when in London I often go and watch Millwall.

People that say you cant support 2 teams why cant you?

Bristol is a big city but yet we've not had a team in the premier league which started 30 years and is the most watched league in the world thats why people who are younger tend to follow more then one club.

Never lived in bristol when i was younger my grandad was a massive manchester united fan and my dad doesnt like sport so i use to watch football with my grandad and to **** him off i supported liverpool, we had to moved to bristol my family here was a mixture of both but i started going to watch city with my uncle when extra ticket came round and i behaved in school been a season ticket holder on off for last 13 years yet i still follow liverpool 

7 minutes ago, Highguy said:

People that say you cant support 2 teams why cant you?

Bristol is a big city but yet we've not had a team in the premier league which started 30 years and is the most watched league in the world thats why people who are younger tend to follow more then one club.

Never lived in bristol when i was younger my grandad was a massive manchester united fan and my dad doesnt like sport so i use to watch football with my grandad and to **** him off i supported liverpool, we had to moved to bristol my family here was a mixture of both but i started going to watch city with my uncle when extra ticket came round and i behaved in school been a season ticket holder on off for last 13 years yet i still follow liverpool 

The difference of opinion, if any, typically comes down to the definition of "follow" and "support". 

4 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

My father was a Cardiff City fan and started following Liverpool when John Toshack signed for them.  That’s stuck and I still have acsoft spot for Liverpool though I’m not a ‘supporter’ of course.  When we were at school in the 60s/70s we all had a second team in the first division, usually Spurs, Man Utd or Liverpool.  The other big team was Leeds Utd, but nobody liked them...

One of the first football matches I ever watched, on (black and white) television, was the 1965 cup final between Liverpool and Leeds Utd.

Leeds had been promoted the previous season and had just lost the League 1 title on goal difference to Manchester Utd. I felt sorry for Leeds - I was a young boy back then? - and so wanted them to win the FA Cup final as consolation, but they lost 2-1 to Liverpool, for whom Ian St. John scored the winner in the last few minutes of extra time.

Of course, both Liverpool and Leeds, managed respectively by Bill Shankly and Don Revie, paraded players who would go on to be household names and revered throughout the country, but the player who stuck out for me that afternoon was the little black Leeds winger, Albert Johanneson.

Although I would come to watch some fantastic black players in the following year's World Cup, e.g. Pele and Eusebio, it was Albert Johanneson who captivated my attention in what, in truth, was quite a boring match, quite possibly due to the novelty value of him being probably the first black player I had ever seen playing top class football in England.

So, for my sins, Leeds were my 'second team' during the 1960s/1970s, although I lost a bit of love for them when, still a young schoolboy, I was abused and physically threatened by several of their fans outside Elland Road late one Tuesday afternoon back in February 1974.   

• Admin
58 minutes ago, CotswoldRed said:

The difference of opinion, if any, typically comes down to the definition of "follow" and "support". 

Agree, to me the team you support is the one you pay to watch home and away, and get really passionate about in the stands

The team you follow is the one you look out for their results or will watch if on TV

• Admin
2 minutes ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

Liverpool. My first kit was Liverpool in ‘88. Obviously City is my passion and my love 

Same as me, remember a kit used to come complete in a small pack in those days. The reason I got one for my 14th birthday in '88, was that summer I had attended a Bobby Charlton soccer school, and because my parents had not long been divorced my mum could not afford a kit for me, and some kind lad had a spare kit which he let me use whilst at the soccer school. The only shame was that it was a Man Utd kit !!

I vowed never to be seen in that kit ever again, that Christmas I explained that I wanted a City kit so every year afterwards my mum got it right

Don't have a PL team, but have lived in Southampton and Bournemouth at different stages of my life, so want both clubs to achieve reasonably - providing they aren't facing us.

Ironically, Bournemouth fans hate Saints and vice versa to a lesser degree.

1 hour ago, CotswoldRed said:

Yeah i agree with that 

I think its a bigger thing in bristol then other cities mentioned as the other cities have teams in the premier league 

8 hours ago, antlers said:

I have been asked this on a number of occasions, and it gets right on my tits. I have met a lot of people following City over the years and can honestly say not a single one supports another team in England as well as City.

However, having a conversation in work about the potential Liverpool cup tie, turns out a number of people 'support' City and Liverpool. A few others piped up saying they 'support' City and Man United etc. It baffled me that you can support 2 teams, I really done get it? I have not known of these people going to football on a regular basis, so it might just be an armchair thing. I know of a few fans who follow teams abroad as well as City, and i get that. A chance to go to another country and watch some footy with zero chance that the 2 teams will meet.

But I'm just curious if anyone is an active fan of another team in England i.e attend games for both City and a Premier League (or any other side for that matter?).

None, how foolish you look when your ‘premier league’ team get relegated to the same tier as the team you support or your everyday team make it to the premier league.

I ******* hate this kind of bull****.

I have a big soft spot for Arsenal. I don't "support" them but if I had to chose a team I'd like to see win the prem, assuming city aren't in it, then it would always be Arsenal. I can remember being in primary school, I was about 8 or 9, I liked football but didn't actually have a team I supported, I just played it a lot. Nobody in my family were big football fans so Bristol City weren't even a consideration to me as I was only really aware of the prem teams. Then on a non school uniform day a girl I had a crush on came in with an Arsenal top on and so the charade began, went up to her and said I supported arsenal too. I then fully invested in the lie, asked my mum for an arsenal shirt and started watching them, I then actually fell in love with football properly having seen the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc. Become Thierry Henry obsessed, even to this day 14 is my favourite number. Then one day in school there was a raffle I was the first number to come out and the 2 top prizes were 2 tickets to horses world in stockwood or 2 tickets to watch Bristol City vs Swindon, its funny thinking back now as I genuinely didn't know what to pick ? I chose wisely though and went with the city tickets, we won 2-0. Murray and Tinnion scoring. Thank god I did otherwise I could be an arm chair arsenal fan, and yes whilst city aren't anywhere near the level of the gunners, I'm glad Arsenal aren't my team, that club is in a right mess. Having said that I always watch them when they are on and want them to win, shame to see such a great club scrapping it out now in the europa.. 

Well as a kid i supported man utd as my Grandad who is from Lancashire got me supporting them, i used to travel up there and watch them about 5-10 times a season but then one day me and a few mates were in Bristol for the weekend and decided to go and watch and i liked the club. I still like to see man utd do well even though they are complete rubbish these days but City is my club now. Don't care if people call me a fake fan or whatever, football is a social thing for me and something to do on the weekends.

12 hours ago, antlers said:

It was Man City, but I've gone off them. Now it's Liverpool 

People saying Liverpool were the first team they saw or they played the best football, or the same with United etc. Surely you grow out of it. I used to like Villa as a kid and went up to Villa Park on a handful of occasions with my Dad. But you eventually get to a point where you realise obviously your only real team is City. I actually dislike Villa almost as much as any other team now. I don't relate to them in any way. Just chose a prem team as that's what kids did back then.

What I really don't get about people who support Bristol City and Liverpool. If City were in the prem. Comfortably mid table with one game left against Liverpool. Liverpool had to win that game to win the prem. I assume those 2 team fans would want City to lose on that one occasion.

That's why it doesn't work. You can't support a team but want them to lose, surely. I can't imagine celebrating City conceding.

5 hours ago, Negan said:

I have a big soft spot for Arsenal. I don't "support" them but if I had to chose a team I'd like to see win the prem, assuming city aren't in it, then it would always be Arsenal. I can remember being in primary school, I was about 8 or 9, I liked football but didn't actually have a team I supported, I just played it a lot. Nobody in my family were big football fans so Bristol City weren't even a consideration to me as I was only really aware of the prem teams. Then on a non school uniform day a girl I had a crush on came in with an Arsenal top on and so the charade began, went up to her and said I supported arsenal too. I then fully invested in the lie, asked my mum for an arsenal shirt and started watching them, I then actually fell in love with football properly having seen the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Pires etc. Become Thierry Henry obsessed, even to this day 14 is my favourite number. Then one day in school there was a raffle I was the first number to come out and the 2 top prizes were 2 tickets to horses world in stockwood or 2 tickets to watch Bristol City vs Swindon, its funny thinking back now as I genuinely didn't know what to pick ? I chose wisely though and went with the city tickets, we won 2-0. Murray and Tinnion scoring. Thank god I did otherwise I could be an arm chair arsenal fan, and yes whilst city aren't anywhere near the level of the gunners, I'm glad Arsenal aren't my team, that club is in a right mess. Having said that I always watch them when they are on and want them to win, shame to see such a great club scrapping it out now in the europa.. 

This was a bit of a tease, wasn't it? Are you going to let us know what happened?

You are almost as bad as @Up The City!

Out of interest, anyone know if there are any Bristolians that support both league teams? 

Sounds odd I know but when I had a season ticket in the Atyeo in the late 90's early 00's there was a couple of blokes, maybe 3 of them, that had season tickets at both clubs. They just loved going to football every weekend. 

I wonder if they, though they'll be getting on a bit now, or any others still do it 

10 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Out of interest, anyone know if there are any Bristolians that support both league teams? 

Sounds odd I know but when I had a season ticket in the Atyeo in the late 90's early 00's there was a couple of blokes, maybe 3 of them, that had season tickets at both clubs. They just loved going to football every weekend. 

I wonder if they, though they'll be getting on a bit now, or any others still do it 

When I was an apprentice there were a group of blokes, 20 years or so older than me who watched both. One still liked both, but was a Tottenham fan. Two were now City through and through and one was R*vers

Happened a lot back in the day

Archived