IGNORED

Who is your premier league team?

antlers

6 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

When I was an apprentice there were a group of blokes, 20 years or so older than me who watched both. One still liked both, but was a Tottenham fan. Two were now City through and through and one was R*vers

Happened a lot back in the day

I did once know a bloke from Taunton who got STs for both City and Yeovil provided there weren`t too many clashes when the fixtures came out - if there were a lot he just had a City one. He just loved going to football basically but City were his first love.

6 minutes ago, 'Orns said:

When I was an apprentice there were a group of blokes, 20 years or so older than me who watched both. One still liked both, but was a Tottenham fan. Two were now City through and through and one was R*vers

Happened a lot back in the day

Yes I can remember stories from the 60s early 70s before I started to go suggesting it wasn't uncommon 

My Grandma was an Everton fan, and she died a few weeks before the 1984 FA Cup Final, which was the start of the great Everton success of the Eighties. So I have carried on the mantle in her honour. That is why they are my 'second' team.

Sorry if anyone has a problem with that...

Wherever I have lived I have always taken an interest in a local side.

Over the years that means to date one Premiership, two Championship, and three non-league sides.

I would always prefer them to win because I used to support them but only when I lived there.

The Premiership team happened to be Spurs but I could not confidently name a player in their current first team though I would have a good guess at most of their 1994 team; I really don't support them but do wish them well.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

I did once know a bloke from Taunton who got STs for both City and Yeovil provided there weren`t too many clashes when the fixtures came out - if there were a lot he just had a City one. He just loved going to football basically but City were his first love.

What a top bloke.  Shame there aren't more people like that.

5 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Thars a tad more understandable but City one week Rovers the next in the days when we played each other regularly, it must have been so odd hearing the hatred all around you then the opposite the next week.

40 minutes ago, ralphindevon said:

Out of interest, anyone know if there are any Bristolians that support both league teams? 

Sounds odd I know but when I had a season ticket in the Atyeo in the late 90's early 00's there was a couple of blokes, maybe 3 of them, that had season tickets at both clubs. They just loved going to football every weekend. 

I wonder if they, though they'll be getting on a bit now, or any others still do it 

Interesting, I think watching both Bristol teams was something that happened in the 60,s and 70,s but only a small number, I did know a few that would watch both in the late 70,s early 80,s but generally if it was trouble games ??

9 hours ago, Murray's Mint said:

Everton ?

I was about 8 and they were the first team I started to follow as they were having a bit of success in the mid eighties, most other kids at school supported Liverpool, Man Utd or Rovers and I wanted to be a bit different. Not long after I started going to City matches, so ended up having 2 teams that I followed. Still love both teams, but whenever they’ve played each other I’ve always wanted city to win as they’re my local team.

I know people say you can’t support 2 different teams but you honestly can, regardless of how good or bad they are. 

Exactly the same for me. In 1985, i was 5 and got bought an Everton scarf and they were the best team in Europe. I could see them on TV very regularly, I could also collect the players panini stickers and see them featured n Match or Shoot. But I could never visit Goodison as I was a kid and none of my family supported them. Exposure to City was limited to me hearing my Dad listening to Radio Bristol coverage. 

Bristol City has always been in my blood though - my Great Uncle played for the club in the 1950s and my Dad used to go regularly in the 70s. So my first match was against Notts County in early 1988, when my Dad had a spare Saturday (and cash) to take me and my brother. But opportunities after that were pretty scarce so I would make do with listening to Radio Bristol and asking for the kit every year. 

Fast forward 10 years and I was old enough to get the bus to town and then drive to the Gate myself. So I did and came every week till I could afford a season ticket and then I also started going to most away games for a few years. But I was also old enough to drive myself to Goodison too. And so I would also go there 2-3 times a season.

Now I live in the Midlands with 2 young kids - my first son is named Ashton and my second born is named after an Everton player. I now only get to see both teams 2-3 times a season but love them equally just like my kids. 

So you can support two teams - obviously seems weird to some, but all I can liken it to is like having two of your kids running in the same race at Sports day or maybe having dual nationality!

By the way I don't recommend it at all - (it's borderline depression when both lose) , but I am tied in for life.... 

10 hours ago, eagle eye said:

Exactly the same for me. In 1985, i was 5 and got bought an Everton scarf and they were the best team in Europe. I could see them on TV very regularly, I could also collect the players panini stickers and see them featured n Match or Shoot. But I could never visit Goodison as I was a kid and none of my family supported them. Exposure to City was limited to me hearing my Dad listening to Radio Bristol coverage. 

Bristol City has always been in my blood though - my Great Uncle played for the club in the 1950s and my Dad used to go regularly in the 70s. So my first match was against Notts County in early 1988, when my Dad had a spare Saturday (and cash) to take me and my brother. But opportunities after that were pretty scarce so I would make do with listening to Radio Bristol and asking for the kit every year. 

Fast forward 10 years and I was old enough to get the bus to town and then drive to the Gate myself. So I did and came every week till I could afford a season ticket and then I also started going to most away games for a few years. But I was also old enough to drive myself to Goodison too. And so I would also go there 2-3 times a season.

Now I live in the Midlands with 2 young kids - my first son is named Ashton and my second born is named after an Everton player. I now only get to see both teams 2-3 times a season but love them equally just like my kids. 

So you can support two teams - obviously seems weird to some, but all I can liken it to is like having two of your kids running in the same race at Sports day or maybe having dual nationality!

By the way I don't recommend it at all - (it's borderline depression when both lose) , but I am tied in for life.... 

Dixie Ashton - sounds like a country and western singer!

This thread in a roundabout way addresses the question we were all asking ourselves in 1982 about what we would do if City went bust and didn`t reform.

At the time I don`t think any of the lads I went with could bring themselves to support another team - that might have changed as the years went by I suppose but I think I would have been done with investing so much into another club.

It wouldn`t have felt right and I don`t think I ever could do it.

16 hours ago, weepywall said:

Interesting, I think watching both Bristol teams was something that happened in the 60,s and 70,s but only a small number, I did know a few that would watch both in the late 70,s early 80,s but generally if it was trouble games ??

It was quite a regular occurrence some of us but not for any trouble 

Im Met a mate from Manchester twenty five years ago in spain had my purple and lime shirt on round the Hotel he said hi mate is that Birmingham we got talking the wives got on well and we had preston away the week after getting back met  him after the game and stayed up there house overnight i got him tickets when Man City played the gas up the mem and ended up getting promoted against  Gillingham  he said not taking the piss do you and your bruv fancy coming to Germany for 5he Man City v Monchengladbach champions league game as your not likely to see Bristol in the champions league was a great couple of days city won 2.1 good game but didnt get the buzz like watching my own city but i suppose cause of this i have a soft spot for them and it was great last year when we took them so close he couldnt talk highly enough about  us  and had a bet on us going to premier league still waiting :laugh:

Archived