IGNORED

Who is your premier league team?

antlers

Only support City. 

But, having lived for 25 years in Merseyside, I do look out for Liverpool’s scores. 

Case in point. I took my nephew to Anfield (he does support Liverpool). Liverpool scored and I stood and clapped (probs even smiled). When City score, I jump around and hug whichever stranger is closest. 

So, I ‘follow’ Liverpool, but only support City. 

19 minutes ago, BS15_RED said:

Arsenal, but it’s more a passing interest than being a supporter. My Footballing love will always be City, and at tournament time, like everyone else, I go all in for England.

Same for me, loved the Gunners as a young kid throughout the Bergkamp and into Henry era. Good banter between most of my Man Utd supporting mates. Got a season ticket down the Gate in early 2000's since which time I care less and less about Arsenal.

If City played Arsenal I want City to win 5-0 as any other game although I cant wait for the day they do actually play each other.

Once had a mate who came down the City but didn't come when Man Utd were playing. I always remember him leaving the game against Norwich in 2008 at half time. This was the game where Brooker scored that late goal to send us top of the league and was one of the best parts of that season (playoffs aside),.

I cannot compare those celebrations to those he must've had when he got home to watch the teatime Man Utd game on Sky.

Used to do a few Arsenal away in England and abroad in the 90s as am friends with a couple of good lads from that way but stopped doing all that when I moved from Britain. Was never the same feeling as City and would never even say I was (or am) an Arsenal fan, was more about the laughs and the trip than anything to do with the football. 

1 hour ago, antlers said:

I have been asked this on a number of occasions, and it gets right on my tits. I have met a lot of people following City over the years and can honestly say not a single one supports another team in England as well as City.

However, having a conversation in work about the potential Liverpool cup tie, turns out a number of people 'support' City and Liverpool. A few others piped up saying they 'support' City and Man United etc. It baffled me that you can support 2 teams, I really done get it? I have not known of these people going to football on a regular basis, so it might just be an armchair thing. I know of a few fans who follow teams abroad as well as City, and i get that. A chance to go to another country and watch some footy with zero chance that the 2 teams will meet.

But I'm just curious if anyone is an active fan of another team in England i.e attend games for both City and a Premier League (or any other side for that matter?).

You cannot support another team. You can "favour" another in a different competition but anyone who claims to actually support two teams isn't a fan in my opinion. Not yet another LJ dig but anyone who says he's a City fan give your head a wobble as his loyalties were sorted years before he came to Bristol. 

I "supported" a couple of PL teams in my youth, before a visit to Ashton Gate converted me to the joys of being a City fan.

Pretty much everyone I know who supports City or the 15ers claims to have a PL team (including a couple who post on here, that I won't mention by name), but I must admit to finding it a bit odd.

I do however have a soft spot for a couple of foreign teams, namely Queen of the South, and (obviously) Málaga. I couldn't call myself a supporter of either team though, as a) I don't watch them enough, and b) their results don't affect my mood for a number of days like a City game will (as my wife will tell you). 

Having grown up in Leicester I supported them properly in my teenage years (home and away, hugging strangers when last minute winners went in etc).

For my first few years watching City (from 1984) I was probably more a Leicester fan than a City one. Over the years, though, City became my main team, and I’d want the City in red to win when the two teams met.

I’ve carried on “following” Leicester, watching if they are ever on TV and wanting them to win against any  team other than City. I still occasonally go to a game and support them properly for the day. Obviously I got a bit more interested in the season they won the Premier League and celebrated the moment they won the title as much as I’d celebrated Christian Roberts’ winner against Hartlepool or any other City high point. I was literally jumping round my front room screaming when the final whistle went in the Spurs-Chelsea game that clinched the title.

Having supported them properly for a few years I think the attachment has never quite gone away, even if it can be dormant for long spells. Maybe maintaining contact with family and friends in Leicester has helped keep the connection alive.

I follow Arsenal. Didn't really support a team when I first got into playing football on computers but quickly turned into my favourite player so support arsenal for that reason. 

City are obviously first thanks to my grandad taking me. Could easily have turned out differently as my dad is a rovers fan but never took me thank god! 

A very arrogant club, Aston Villa.

Especially a decent chunk of the fans (though social media can and does exaggerate the negatives) and Purslow IMO. He seems especially...there's just something you just dislike about him.

Hope they come back down...will be very interesting to see how the EFL play it in the summer if so!

3 hours ago, antlers said:

I have been asked this on a number of occasions, and it gets right on my tits. I have met a lot of people following City over the years and can honestly say not a single one supports another team in England as well as City.

However, having a conversation in work about the potential Liverpool cup tie, turns out a number of people 'support' City and Liverpool. A few others piped up saying they 'support' City and Man United etc. It baffled me that you can support 2 teams, I really done get it? I have not known of these people going to football on a regular basis, so it might just be an armchair thing. I know of a few fans who follow teams abroad as well as City, and i get that. A chance to go to another country and watch some footy with zero chance that the 2 teams will meet.

But I'm just curious if anyone is an active fan of another team in England i.e attend games for both City and a Premier League (or any other side for that matter?).

I’ve been going up to watch Patrick Thistle relatively regularly since the ‘80s ...

40 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I follow Arsenal. Didn't really support a team when I first got into playing football on computers but quickly turned into my favourite player so support arsenal for that reason. 

City are obviously first thanks to my grandad taking me. Could easily have turned out differently as my dad is a rovers fan but never took me thank god! 

My Dad and Grandad were Rovers fans - just glad they let me choose ...

Growing up in the 90s, I did sort of support Sheffield Wednesday. In my defence I was a child, they had an owl in their logo and I liked owls, they had a day of the week in their name which nobody else did, they beat Man Utd in the League Cup and my older brother liked Man Utd and, to be honest, I just quite liked being contrary and doing things nobody else around me was doing.

I obviously now only support City and don’t follow anyone else with any interest at all. Due to friends having spares and things to do on work trips, I’ve attended Athletic Bilbao, Tottenham, Chelsea, Fulham and QPR as a home fan and am quite happy to cheer another team on for 90 minutes, as long as the result has no impact on City,  but as @Silvio Dante says above, it isn’t the same as supporting because the result doesn’t actually bother me whereas City winning or losing actually makes a massive difference to my mood...

4 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

I share your sorrow. 

Try to get to three or four home games each season. Went to the Zaragoza game this season and the ground was a quarter full.

Every one of their games home and away are live on you tube so have watched all this year which has been a horror show. Real chance they will be relegated this season to the third tier.

Such a difference from a few seasons ago when they were squeezing 33k every home game in la liga.

Born in Bristol but I grew up in the Midlands in the 70s. WBA were "my team". The family moved back to Bristol and I started going to City with mates in the late 80s. City for life now for my sins (although I admit I wobbled was when we sold Super Bob)!! When City play WBA, I'm a red! Still look out for the Baggies though and always will.

3 hours ago, antlers said:

The only time this makes sense is if they’re really Liverpool/Man Utd fans but with a soft spot for City because they’re from/living in Bristol. 

I lived in Liverpool for a bit so have a soft spot for... Tranmere. I don’t know why I do it to myself.

I don’t support anyone but Bristol City. I don’t like watching matches much as a neutral though so always try to pick a side, eg Arsenal would be my pick over Spurs, but when ManU play Spurs no way would I want ManU to win. So there are some teams I like better than others, but if they lose or win it doesn’t bother of affect me in the slightest, unlike City. 

Only City for me, soft spot for Liverpool due to other family members being big fans but there's no emotion. 

It's funny though. My mate who I first started watching City with (he's a big fan, named his son after our ground). Well he gets seriously passionate about man u!! Don't get it myself, but each to their own I guess. 

It may well be because everyone up here is a Manchester united/Manchester city/liverpool supporter and therefore it's never crossed their mind to support more than one team....... (I also work a lot In leeds and the idea of even having a soft spot for another team is completely alien to them....)

But I've never been asked if I also support another team. I occasionally get asked why bristol city and they are all very complimentary of the reasons why.

Frankly I rarely care about another teams result, unless it has a direct impact on Bristol city football club or it let's me laugh at rovers/Cardiff. I just enjoy watching football to be honest.

1 hour ago, Barry Sheene said:

Try to get to three or four home games each season. Went to the Zaragoza game this season and the ground was a quarter full.

Every one of their games home and away are live on you tube so have watched all this year which has been a horror show. Real chance they will be relegated this season to the third tier.

Such a difference from a few seasons ago when they were squeezing 33k every home game in la liga.

I must admit I haven't been to a game since the relegation to la segunda. I did plan on going to the home leg of the play-off final last year, as I was in the city, but they went and got thrashed by Depor (who are in even more trouble than Málaga this year) in the semis.

I don't think they will get relegated again this year, but it's certainly a far cry from the Champions League days!  Yet another scandal this week too... 

Never thought I'd have a Premier League team until City got there, but ashamed to say that since last season I've got caught up in the excitement and emotion of the top flight. Maybe it's Sky and BT's coverage, maybe it's the quality of the players on show, but now every week I find that I'm a massive fan of whoever is playing Wolverhampton bastard Wanderers.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Growing up in the 90s, I did sort of support Sheffield Wednesday. In my defence I was a child, they had an owl in their logo and I liked owls, they had a day of the week in their name which nobody else did, they beat Man Utd in the League Cup and my older brother liked Man Utd and, to be honest, I just quite liked being contrary and doing things nobody else around me was doing.

I obviously now only support City and don’t follow anyone else with any interest at all. Due to friends having spares and things to do on work trips, I’ve attended Athletic Bilbao, Tottenham, Chelsea, Fulham and QPR as a home fan and am quite happy to cheer another team on for 90 minutes, as long as the result has no impact on City,  but as @Silvio Dante says above, it isn’t the same as supporting because the result doesn’t actually bother me whereas City winning or losing actually makes a massive difference to my mood...

Agree 100%

In fact its nice watching another team without the angst !

Everton ?

I was about 8 and they were the first team I started to follow as they were having a bit of success in the mid eighties, most other kids at school supported Liverpool, Man Utd or Rovers and I wanted to be a bit different. Not long after I started going to City matches, so ended up having 2 teams that I followed. Still love both teams, but whenever they’ve played each other I’ve always wanted city to win as they’re my local team.

I know people say you can’t support 2 different teams but you honestly can, regardless of how good or bad they are. 

Archived