IGNORED

City on the list of shame?

phantom

Why does football and it's supporters  think itself different to any other form of  live entertainment?

£30-£40 would see you only get a cheap adult theatre seat in the West End, Opera you'd be in the Gods, Racing you'd see a day's Class 4/6 fare at Plumpton but not a prime fixture at Cheltenham or Ascot, Aussies at Lords this summer is circa £150, British Grand Prix wouldn't get you in the car park. As for gigs, that dum will get you seeing some has-been or sight of a screen at the back of most modern stadia should a decent band be in town, but you might as well listen on Spotify and look at a picture of your fav outfit you'll be do far dustant.

£20 , seriously, what live event other than BDO darts do you expect to see for that?

As a student not living close to Bristol while studying, I find it ridiculous having to pay more than £30 to attend a match in the holidays. Considering I used to pay £55 for a season ticket in the years before I became a student! 

Not really a great pricing structure for attracting young adults to attend matches. 

2 hours ago, David Brent said:

We, generally, haven’t spent more than the price of a ticket already just by getting to Ashton Gate.

Unless everyone subsidises away tickets to a uniform rate, I couldn't care less how much an away fan has paid to get to AG.

As @Riaz says though if every club did it then fair enough.

13 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

As a student not living close to Bristol while studying, I find it ridiculous having to pay more than £30 to attend a match in the holidays. Considering I used to pay £55 for a season ticket in the years before I became a student! 

Not really a great pricing structure for attracting young adults to attend matches. 

To be fair, many young adults in employment have a lot more disposable income than an older person with a family to support, but I agree that over £30 to watch second division football is ridiculous.

Mind you its £25 to sit watching the gash !!!

1 hour ago, BTRFTG said:

Why does football and it's supporters  think itself different to any other form of  live entertainment?

£30-£40 would see you only get a cheap adult theatre seat in the West End, Opera you'd be in the Gods, Racing you'd see a day's Class 4/6 fare at Plumpton but not a prime fixture at Cheltenham or Ascot, Aussies at Lords this summer is circa £150, British Grand Prix wouldn't get you in the car park. As for gigs, that dum will get you seeing some has-been or sight of a screen at the back of most modern stadia should a decent band be in town, but you might as well listen on Spotify and look at a picture of your fav outfit you'll be do far dustant.

£20 , seriously, what live event other than BDO darts do you expect to see for that?

£20 seems okay...depends where though.

Pretty sure Bundesliga tickets are, or maybe it's were/have been famously affordable.

Seen some other individual cases of ticket prices in Europe that highlight the UK as notably pricy for it.

58 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Unless everyone subsidises away tickets to a uniform rate, I couldn't care less how much an away fan has paid to get to AG.

As @Riaz says though if every club did it then fair enough.

That’s pretty selfish. That’s why away fans want every club to subsidise away tickets. I thought that was obvious.

16 minutes ago, David Brent said:

That’s pretty selfish. That’s why away fans want every club to subsidise away tickets. I thought that was obvious.

I don't think BCFC would consider it selfish if the majority of clubs didn't want to subsidise and they followed suit. 

What away fans want and what they get is likely to be rather different I think that's pretty obvious too. 

Home fans think they pay too much in the main and clubs aren't listening to their own customers. 

4 hours ago, Natchfever said:

Im not sure why a club should subsidise away fans over its own to be fair.

A club should be obliged to charge exactly the same price to an away fan as a home supporter in a similar part of the stadium.

Very, very short sighted

Perhaps the fairest way to get things improved for away fans would be for the league to mandate that the clubs had to agree in advance of the season that the fee changed for away supporters had to be the same in both league  fixtures? That way there would be pressure from a club's home fans, knowing that a high price for "somebody else" would also result in a high price for some of their own.

There probably isn't a perfect solution here. Certainly not compared to the PL where the ticket receipts are a far smaller part of their income - for us and the other championship clubs it still matters...

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Very, very short sighted

Why? I'm thinking of city here and we take about 1000 away regularly (happy to stand corrected) Lots of big teams in this league bringing 2,000 plus to AG. 

Do you really think that our following away would increase to the extent that the club would be happy to forego maybe 25 - 30k whenever Leeds Wednesday Cardiff Swansea Forest Derby etc come? 

Happy if it was rolled out across the league but not in isolation 

6 minutes ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

I don't think many home fans would object to "subsidising" away fans - we go for the atmosphere which is so much better with a full away end.

If football is there to be a spectacle rather than a sport you watch on TV, pricing to encourage an atmosphere in the Championship should be encouraged imo

I honestly don't think you speak for the majority of home fans being happy to subsidise Leeds Swansea Cardiff etc etc who would fill or nearly fill their allocations anyway. 

Packed Atyeo drowns out the home support in my experience which isn't the sort of atmosphere I seek tbh. 

17 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I honestly don't think you speak for the majority of home fans being happy to subsidise Leeds Swansea Cardiff etc etc who would fill or nearly fill their allocations anyway. 

Packed Atyeo drowns out the home support in my experience which isn't the sort of atmosphere I seek tbh. 

What atmosphere do you seek when you travel away?

4 hours ago, Natchfever said:

You mean Bristol is affluent ?

Apologies if I misunderstood.

did you mean as in generally being wealthy? if so, I didn't mean that. what I meant was when you go to Cardiff for example,and brum and west brom,you have a different experience getting into the ground because of police. any where up north is pretty grim, London is a nightmare for traffic/parking etc,at least at ag,you can  drive into the trading estate,cross the road and you are done and know your car will be there when you come out. well worth a few extra quid just for the above id have thought ?

37 minutes ago, David Brent said:

What atmosphere do you seek when you travel away?

The sort I inevitably find and makes no difference what price I pay. 

To repeat, if adopted across the board then great but expecting City to do it along with a couple of others definitely no. 

City and other clubs will look at it financially not some romantic notion of atmosphere. If they were bothered about that we wouldn't sit in sterile AG. 

6 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

did you mean as in generally being wealthy? if so, I didn't mean that. what I meant was when you go to Cardiff for example,and brum and west brom,you have a different experience getting into the ground because of police. any where up north is pretty grim, London is a nightmare for traffic/parking etc,at least at ag,you can  drive into the trading estate,cross the road and you are done and know your car will be there when you come out. well worth a few extra quid just for the above id have thought ?

Bristol by no means a cakewalk for away fans but must be a good away day. 

16 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

Most games I have attended up north have been a fantastic experience both in the ground and wherever we have stayed. London is always a great day out and with the transport links they have a walk in the park! So I really don't get your argument!

4 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

£20 seems okay...depends where though.

Pretty sure Bundesliga tickets are, or maybe it's were/have been famously affordable.

Seen some other individual cases of ticket prices in Europe that highlight the UK as notably pricy for it.

Hence why, Bayern aside,  they always moan they can't compete with British clubs in Europe. It's also why if you go to places like Herts where there's loads of capacity it's easy to buy a cheap ticket and relocate to the expensive seats as few seem to check.

25 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

Hence why, Bayern aside,  they always moan they can't compete with British clubs in Europe. It's also why if you go to places like Herts where there's loads of capacity it's easy to buy a cheap ticket and relocate to the expensive seats as few seem to check.

Record has been variable down the years but definitely struggled vs English clubs in Europe in recent times, say last 10 years.

Still English football is in many ways overpriced IMO. Maybe aimed more at POTD.

Yet I'm not especially critical of our pricing structure...a) By Championship standards it's alright I reckon abd b) If you don't charge those higher prices, you will struggle to compete as lack of income...high prices are product of a fairly expensive sport.

One very important factor I almost forgot...standing/safe standing. Standing prices are always, always cheaper than seats!

14 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

Whilst I understand what you are saying most venues won’t have a capacity of 27000 like we do, or have the need to accommodate home and away fans etc.

19 hours ago, BTRFTG said:

West End theatres you pay for the quality of the view/sound. As an away fan you don't get a choice - You are in the away end. Also you don't go and watch Wicked twice a week for 9 months a year (well you might... I guess). And new shows don't come around that often,  the lion king has been running the exact same show at the exact same west end theatre since 1997 (insert jokes about our games being the same dull spectacle every week here) .

Cheltenham Gold Cup tickets start at around £60. It's one of the biggest races of the season. If you want a like for like comparison you should compare it to cup final tickets which are ridiculously priced. It's also an entire day out and a once a year occasion.

I went to 2 days of the Ashes at Old Trafford - I paid £55 a day for where I was sat, it was expensive (not the most expensive seats in the ground), but I was in the ground from 10:30am until 6pm each day. You could play 4 games of football in that time with half time and added breaks. Also - I realise the world cup took up much of the summer... But that was Englands only home full test series that year.

British Grand Prix is very expensive. Too expensive -  But it's a once a year event. not twice a week for 9 months.

The biggest bands in the world tend to only play a handful of shows in each country before moving on. They then might not be back for several years. Decades in some cases. 

Truth is it's all too expensive nowadays. But the examples you give are very different situations to football.

4 hours ago, cider-manc said:

Truth is it's all too expensive nowadays. But the examples you give are very different situations to football.

When comparing one should also consider how many of those alternate venues/ events ship upward of £36m a year, subsidised or otherwise? To put in in perspective, each seat occupied (adult, child and concession) during our home fixtures last season COST the club £74 had we sought to break even.

Fact is fans clamour for owners to spend ridiculous sums on acquiring the services of rank average players and then bemoan when they're required to contribute a minor proportion of that cost.

10 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

When comparing one should also consider how many of those alternate venues/ events ship upward of £36m a year, subsidised or otherwise? To put in in perspective, each seat occupied (adult, child and concession) during our home fixtures last season COST the club £74 had we sought to break even.

Fact is fans clamour for owners to spend ridiculous sums on acquiring the services of rank average players and then bemoan when they're required to contribute a minor proportion of that cost.

My issue isnt ticket costs.

More a common sense approach, that you charge Home fans more than away fans. Away fans often have to fork out alot more. When you consider, away fans take up less than 10% of the overall crowd - the clubs would not lose much, if at all, if more fans end up going.

17 minutes ago, Riaz said:

More a common sense approach, that you charge Home fans more than away fans.

With central London now effectively shut to traffic and with the best part of a 300m round journey to get to AG do I get an 'Away' discount on my ST?

1 hour ago, Riaz said:

My issue isnt ticket costs.

More a common sense approach, that you charge Home fans more than away fans. Away fans often have to fork out alot more. When you consider, away fans take up less than 10% of the overall crowd - the clubs would not lose much, if at all, if more fans end up going.

Perhaps the onus should be placed upon the club "owning" the fans ?

Subsidise coach travel for anyone buying an away ticket. Some clubs do it already I believe.

If peole want to go away in a privately hired minibus thats their decision.

Archived