IGNORED

Chris Wilder

harvey54

Never liked Sheff U, and not just because we were turned away at the turnstiles for the Playoff game. But you have to give credit where it’s due, the guys done brilliantly , and ( like Sean Dyche ) bit of a straight talker. Whether the tactics will continue to work will be interesting, but you have to respect how far he’s brought them.

31 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Funnily enough I though of Teds Rogers and Bovis when replying. Must be a generation thing. 

Ted Bovis.

His rendition of 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling' on Pebble Mill has been (thankfully) preserved for future generations to enjoy.

I won't post a link. I'd imagine a perma-ban would follow.

Similarities to Dyche but better IMO.

Sheffield United style tends to have more depth to it...not as much possession as last season but more varied and can certainly go on the attack. Burnley...dunno if Dyche has hit a ceiling there in some ways, seems to bring in some quite good players but shows reluctance to try to integrate them and falls back on a core. Nothing wrong with a trusted core but he could develop a bit more variety in their style.

23 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Similarities to Dyche but better IMO.

Sheffield United style tends to have more depth to it...not as much possession as last season but more varied and can certainly go on the attack. Burnley...dunno if Dyche has hit a ceiling there in some ways, seems to bring in some quite good players but shows reluctance to try to integrate them and falls back on a core. Nothing wrong with a trusted core but he could develop a bit more variety in their style.

I think if Wilder keeps Sheffield United in the Prem as long as Dyce I might agree with you on abilities, but Burnley is a tiny club really, and notwithstanding tv money, isn't much of a draw for players with options. I could though see Sheffield United kicking on, as they are similar in size to Leicester.

35 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Ted Bovis.

His rendition of 'You've Lost That Loving Feeling' on Pebble Mill has been (thankfully) preserved for future generations to enjoy.

I won't post a link. I'd imagine a perma-ban would follow.

Now that was a thing of unacknowledged beauty - he could’ve been the next One Direction. 

9 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

I think if Wilder keeps Sheffield United in the Prem as long as Dyce I might agree with you on abilities, but Burnley is a tiny club really, and notwithstanding tv money, isn't much of a draw for players with options. I could though see Sheffield United kicking on, as they are similar in size to Leicester.

The difference is Burnley play truly shocking football. I really enjoy watching Sheff U play. I really like Wilder.

It's still underappreciated what Wilder has done and is doing with Sheffield United. The winning mentality and culture of the team he's created is fantastic, not to mention the football. Considering he's signed the likes of Enda Stevens and McGoldrick for free and Baldock and Lundstram for pennies, all from lower leagues, and is getting that much quality out of them is incredible.  

30 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Good point- unsure who is better yet of the two- he did get them into Europe too IIRC, Dyche that is though didn't give it a real go. Again may come down to squad/club size etc.

Still think adding the likes of Gibson, Vydra, Rodriguez and some others, he could tweak the style a bit though- vs certain sides.

2 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

He applied in 2010 after a bad spell with Reading. We didn't want him and he went to Swansea some time after.

I actually remember this and admit that I was quite happy that he didn’t get the job .

Along with Michael Appleton, a good coach but someone I just didn’t feel right about. 

56 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Burnley are like Wigan or Preston who benefit from cast offs of the big clubs in their neighbourhood. 

They make the very best of their situations and full credit to them.

We can only look on jealousy at what those clubs have achieved whilst we have bobbed about anonymously  in the lower echelons.

With all the advantages that we have we should have troubled the Prem on more than one occasion.

I put it down to historically bad club management but accept that we are in a better place at the moment.

We just need a bit more belief and ruthlessness in my humble opinion.

1 hour ago, Super said:

The difference is Burnley play truly shocking football. I really enjoy watching Sheff U play. I really like Wilder.

Burnely stay with the big boys and I daresay their fans are happy about that. but I would say they are more pragmatic than shocking though, making the best of what they have, just my opinion

Will Sheffield United continue to entertain if they ultimately slide down the table though ? Time will tell, but they, like Wolves before them have been a breath of fresh air to the Premier League so far.

38 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Burnley are like Wigan or Preston who benefit from cast offs of the big clubs in their neighbourhood. 

They make the very best of their situations and full credit to them.

We can only look on jealousy at what those clubs have achieved whilst we have bobbed about anonymously  in the lower echelons.

With all the advantages that we have we should have troubled the Prem on more than one occasion.

I put it down to historically bad club management but accept that we are in a better place at the moment.

We just need a bit more belief and ruthlessness in my humble opinion.

True now, but they threw a lot of money at it (possibly set against the other 2) in their rise to, then were more sustainable in their days of the PL and almost unbelievably winning the FA Cup, when rules were different- but still fair to say they got the most of what they had.

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

True now, but they threw a lot of money at it (possibly set against the other 2) in their days of the PL and almost unbelievably winning the FA Cup, when rules were different- but still fair to say they got the most of what they had.

We have just wasted a lot of money in dribs and drabs with bad management.

I still doubt whether SL is brave or ruthless enough to get us the success We so dearly want.

If I was a Wigan fan I would be a lot more laid back than I am supporting the City, at least they have something to show in their récent history .

We have mostly underachievement and ridicule as our bedfellows.

9 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We have just wasted a lot of money in dribs and drabs with bad management.

Some truth in that, but Dave Whelan- JJB owner of course, really wasn't too bothered about the losses. Accelerated it as and when.

We certainly wasted a decent amount though down the years.

Worth looking at some comparisons of accounts from say 1997 to 2007 between us and them or maybe 1997-2005 as they got to PL that year, or even 1997/98, 1999/00-2003-04 to weight it with equal numbers of seasons in the middle 2 divisions and ...if you want to go to sleep that is. :whistle:

I had a quick look though and it's fair to say they were more relaxed than we were to lose money over these periods! Some of that may well have been on building the JJB Stadium granted.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Some truth in that, but Dave Whelan- JJB owner of course, really wasn't too bothered about the losses. Accelerated it as and when.

We certainly wasted a decent amount though down the years.

Worth looking at some comparisons of accounts from say 1997 to 2007 between us and them or maybe 1997-2005 as they got to PL that year, or even 1997/98, 1999/00-2003-04 to weight it with equal numbers of seasons in the middle 2 divisions and ...if you want to go to sleep that is. :whistle:

I had a quick look though and it's fair to say they were more relaxed than we were to lose money over these periods! Some of that may well have been on building the JJB Stadium granted.

Thay are also a club situated in a town not much bigger than Bath and surrounded by much larger clubs,  and with fans of those clubs firmly entrenched in the town for generations.

They also compete with a stellar rugby league side so have done remarkably well over the past 25 years, considering there is a definite ceiling on a fanbase.

I guess that's why Mr Whelan put his  money where his mouth was, although of course it could never happen now FFP wise with a tiddler I guess, Bournemouth closing the door behind themselves perhaps.

4 minutes ago, Natchfever said:

Thay are also a club situated in a town not much bigger than Bath and surrounded by much larger clubs,  and with fans of those clubs firmly entrenched in the town for generations.

They also compete with a stellar rugby league side so have done remarkably well over the past 25 years, considering there is a definite ceiling on a fanbase.

I guess that's why Mr Whelan put his  money where his mouth was, although of course it could never happen now FFP wise with a tiddler I guess, Bournemouth closing the door behind themselves perhaps.

Oh they did very well indeed and I give them full credit- and he had to put the money in, not just on the pitch but off it too (JJB Stadium).

Definitely one of the downside risks of FFP. Rugby point and fanbase I don't disagree on either.

13 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Chris Wilder - the Sheff Utd boss as seen by those who played under him - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50866397

Really interesting read. Did his apprenticeship in the lower reaches and turned sides around wherever he's been. Proper manager, if you know what I mean 

Not good enough for our club according to some on here when discussed a while back before he went to The Blades ...

Tactically speaking, his side have a nice blend. 

About 5 mins ago they spring into life suddenly a great burst of passing up and through the field at pace. They seem to do this in spells. 

Yet clearly utilise width too. Plus some long balls. 

To say nothing of the overlapping centrebacks. Fair to say they pose a pretty unique challenge...unsure how many managers could get more out of that side.

Archived