Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

CyderInACan

Give Blood!!!

If you can - register at Blood.co.uk - there’s usually somewhere nearby that you can go to to donate, it’s practically painless and it can save lives. 

Thanks

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

If you can - register at Blood.co.uk - there’s usually somewhere nearby that you can go to to donate, it’s practically painless and it can save lives. 

Thanks

Unfortunately no-one wants mine anymore: because I have lived in the Caribbean, the NHS don't want it; because I lived in the UK during the BSE scare, the Cayman health authorities don't want it.

Used to donate regularly years ago, and same as @CyderInACan I urge everyone to do so if they can.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Unfortunately no-one wants mine anymore: because I have lived in the Caribbean, the NHS don't want it; because I lived in the UK during the BSE scare, the Cayman health authorities don't want it.

Used to donate regularly years ago, and same as @CyderInACan I urge everyone to do so if they can.

Fairly certain nobody wants my blood either. However it's been a while and I've changed medication so I'll sign up and see what happens...

4 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Fairly certain nobody wants my blood either. However it's been a while and I've changed medication so I'll sign up and see what happens...

Unfortunately I had to stop giving blood after I was put  on statins. Iirc there aren’t  many medications that are permitted that allow you donate blood.

11 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Unfortunately I had to stop giving blood after I was put  on statins. Iirc there aren’t  many medications that are permitted that allow you donate blood.

Yeah - I had a look at the website. Looks like you're ruled out if you've had a transfusion since 1980 in any case. I almost certainly have within that time so looks likely I am ineligible. I understand the reasons but it's a shame that the people who benefit from blood donation can't actually donate it...

2 hours ago, Redtucks said:

I've donated 155 times.

I think I must be nearly empty now!!!

:dunno:

Wow! Have have you managed that many?

Are you older than Prince Philip!

3 hours ago, phantom said:

Sadly since being diagnosed with Parkinsons Disease I am not able to donate either

Very sorry to hear that Phants.

Best wishes to you.

• Like 1

I have donated since the mid ninetees. You get a text message when it has comed to the good.

I usually get two as the receiver get pissed for free and usually is very grateful.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

The best thing for me about giving blood is that it is the only time I have seen my name on a bit of paper with A+ next to it.

Edited by Slacker
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, myol'man said:

Wow! Have have you managed that many?

Are you older than Prince Philip!

I've been donating since 1970.

I took part in the Interval Survey experiment a few years ago (a 3 year experiment to establish how often it is possible to give safely)

As a result I now give every 12 weeks at Southmead donation centre.

I was originally inspired to give after my dad was requested to donate for the first kidney transplant in Bristol.

That was his "claim to fame", God bless him!   :worship2:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I was originally inspired to give after my dad was requested to donate for the first kidney transplant in Bristol.

I was originally inspired to get an hour off work & a cup of tea and a biscuit 😋

I used to give blood, but as I also have an autoimmune disease, I can't any more.

What worries me is what happened to the poor individuals that may have had my blood before I was diagnosed as I was not screened whilst donating.

I would also like to be an organ donor, but don't think it's adviseable.  However, I can't get an official answer in this regard.

8 hours ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Maybe he just w4nks too much?

You're dead right!

:clap:

The picture was originally titled "The dangers of masturbation!".

I adapted it when we were mentioning empty arms!

• Haha 1

I’m not allowed to give blood (due to previously having had a transfusion) but would definitely do so if I was allowed.