IGNORED

F A Cup round 5

dunsteral

Was just looking at hotels in Leeds for the game on the 15th February, and thought i had better hold on

in case it clashes with the F A Cup round 5 games, dont want to book in Leeds and have to cancel. I 

suppose it would be ok to book cos Leeds are out of the cup and we will probably not make round 5.

But does anyone know why according to the F A website the 5th round ties are being played on a 

Wednesday night and not on a Saturday?

The FA, Premier League and EFL have announced a new annual mid-season player break, starting from the 2019-20 season.

The two-week mid-season player break will take place in February and would be structured to ensure that Premier League matches would still be played every weekend over that period.

Each weekend during the break will feature five Premier League games on the first weekend and five on the following weekend.

To incorporate this, The FA has agreed to move the Emirates FA Cup fifth round matches to midweek. In addition, from the start of the 2019-20 season, fifth round replays will be removed from the calendar, being replaced with extra-time and penalties in the first tie.

15 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

would like to see the removal of replays in all ties. this announcement is a step in the right direction. another game midweek against a side 100's of miles away, sometimes neither team wants that. the excitement of extra time and penalties would make the cup games much more appealing to fans, and removing the chance of another 90 minutes to play would make it better for clubs too. the draw for the next round is far better as well - Watford or Tranmere Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers or Manchester United. Joke.

It's a chance for lower league teams to make some money to help them survive. Sure Rochdale are looking forward to a trip to Newcastle.

20 hours ago, matalan12 said:

would like to see the removal of replays in all ties. this announcement is a step in the right direction. another game midweek against a side 100's of miles away, sometimes neither team wants that. the excitement of extra time and penalties would make the cup games much more appealing to fans, and removing the chance of another 90 minutes to play would make it better for clubs too. the draw for the next round is far better as well - Watford or Tranmere Rovers v Wolverhampton Wanderers or Manchester United. Joke.

Could never agree with this.

If we do get to play Liverpool have of me would want us to win and the other half would want a replay so we could have an unforgettable night at Anfield. 

3 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

Extra revenue is what the smaller clubs want and if lucky enough the glory so if you earn the draw and reply enjoy the day out at the bigger club.

Great tweet by lineker from last night. Not sure how much Rochdale enjoyed getting thumped by Newcastle. Take them to extra time and pens at home could well of gone through. would very much like to see the back of replies. Would only make the cup games more exciting.

3 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

Great tweet by lineker from last night. Not sure how much Rochdale enjoyed getting thumped by Newcastle. Take them to extra time and pens at home could well of gone through. would very much like to see the back of replies. Would only make the cup games more exciting.

Would it? Park the bus for a 0-0 draw and then take your chance at penalties? Sounds boring to me. 

And would starve lower league clubs of some lucrative away days.

Henry Winters take on it is that the managers of the clubs should be able to agree to having a replay or not when the draw is made. Neither Wolves or Man United would’ve wanted their replay, nor would the managers of most same division ties

I think that is the best solution to it. 

39 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

Henry Winters take on it is that the managers of the clubs should be able to agree to having a replay or not when the draw is made. Neither Wolves or Man United would’ve wanted their replay, nor would the managers of most same division ties

And then the Premier teams will invariably throw weight either with additional (or veiled threats of withdrawal of thereof) loans, youth purchases and working agreements.

This is not a de-facto peer-to-peer relationship in play.

51 minutes ago, matalan12 said:

If it means they have made a few quid then i'm sure they will have enjoyed it. For clubs like Rochdale it's massive and can help them survive.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

I thought they were already allowed to do that, although nobody ever has.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As it would to anybody who had the misfortune to watch the 1986 European Cup Final between Barcelona and Steaua Bucharest and Barcelona.

I remember that game because it was SO dire.  Bit unfair on Bucharest though having to play 2 Barcelona teams...;-)

8 hours ago, matalan12 said:

No it's not a great tweet. The only ones calling for replays to be scrapped are those who are associated with premier league clubs because premier league footballers need more rest than other footballers (despite having 8 league games less than EFL clubs as it is) 

The premier league want it so they will get it and ultimately its EFL fans that will suffer despite them being against it. So what if Rochdale got thumped at Newcastle, they still had their day out. For generations they will be able to speak about the time that they took 9k to Newcastle. On another day they may well have got a result.

7 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

The managers already have the option to go to extra time/penalties at the end of the 90 minutes. 

Archived