IGNORED

So no new faces for Wigan

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness to the club, those strikers are flying on the shelf to the Championship, that Adams, Assombalonga, Nketiah, Vydra have all found swift and timely moves...

Leeds, Nottingham Forest, West Brom have all got their proben number 9's or hot prospects...wait what?

Wait, that's not right at all! 

Brewster has, but along with Guehi, Swansea have benefited from an undoubted connection between those players and Steve Cooper.

Bit harsh to blame the club basically.

Middlesbrough have though loaned Roberts and Nmecha...not bad additions IMO.

You started off so well but rather shot your self in the foot with the Swansea and Boro examples.

Not every club wants to bring new players in in January. 

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

I can understand it but I hope the club have got a plan so they don't get caught out on it. Last week I joked about how ridiculous it would be if we ended up waiting for entire transfer window for Nketiah to sign only for him to turn us down on the last day and us having to scramble elsewhere. I'm increasingly starting to fear that this is exactly what is going to happen.

There's nothing wrong with us being patient - unless we suddenly find our second, third, fourth and fifth preferences are moving elsewhere and our eggs are in completely in the one basket. I really hope the club are guarding against that. 

I hear where your coming from but in the transfer market espcially with Jan , its like dominoes even with loans . As if two teams are chasing a striker then one team gets another target then we get our striker e.g city/forest going for eddie. 

Also agents love to tell their clients to wait for the right offer , which most of the time is more out of greed from the agent im guessing? 

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You started off so well but rather shot your self in the foot with the Swansea and Boro examples.

Not every club wants to bring new players in in January. 

Swansea, I'm unconvinced would have got those 2 this early without the Cooper link. That's the importance of connections in football being showcased again.

Middlesbrough, granted- but Roberts, Nmecha- are we in for them, have we been? Are they the sort of players that would excite our fans?

Point is, it ain't easy!

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

Well maybe he should be looking to spend a little more money on a good manager rather than a " yes" man. His managerial appointments have been been pretty poor bar the exception of GJ and SC. Who actually wasnt his choice.......

Won't happen this month if at all. 

Club should look to strengthen on and off the pitch. 

8 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Swansea, I'm unconvinced would have got those 2 this early without the Cooper link. That's the importance of connections in football being showcased again.

Middlesbrough, granted- but Roberts, Nmecha- are we in for them, have we been? Are they the sort of players that would excite our fans?

Point is, it ain't easy!

It’s not easy , of course , that’s why Mark Ashton must be earning big money .

He is in credit but we are a third of January gone and still no Number 9 .

Will we get one ? I am pretty sure we will .

Do we need the right one immediately ? 

We all know the answer to that one . 

1 minute ago, Major Isewater said:

It’s not easy of course that’s why Mark Ashton must be earning big money .

He is in credit but we are a third of January gone and still no Number 9 .

Will we get one ? I am pretty sure we will .

Do we need the right one immediately ? 

We all know the answer to that one . 

Where are our great contacts in the game?

Swansea appointing an ex England U19 manmager now looks quite shrewd.

Derby benefited from Lampard, and to an extent on the transfer front with Cocu,

Bilic loaning Diangana...spent years at West Ham as a popular player and a decent manager though ran out. Can't have done any harm!

Leeds Bielsa.

Contacts matter- not the be all and end all certainly, but they matter.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Where are our great contacts in the game?

Swansea appointing an ex England U19 manmager now looks quite shrewd.

Derby benefited from Lampard, and to an extent on the transfer front with Cocu,

Bilic loaning Diangana...spent years at West Ham as a popular player and a decent manager though ran out. Can't have done any harm!

Leeds Bielsa.

Contacts matter- not the be all and end all certainly, but they matter.

Well LJ bangs on about being ‘ mentored ‘ by Man City .

He also has excellent contacts at Torquay .

28 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

In fairness to the club, those strikers are flying on the shelf to the Championship, that Adams, Assombalonga, Nketiah, Vydra have all found swift and timely moves...

Leeds, Nottingham Forest, West Brom have all got their proben number 9's or hot prospects...wait what?

Wait, that's not right at all! 

Brewster has, but along with Guehi, Swansea have benefited from an undoubted connection between those players and Steve Cooper.

Bit harsh to blame the club basically.

Middlesbrough have though loaned Roberts and Nmecha...not bad additions IMO.

But how many of those have needed a striker since September? Certainly not Leeds!

Age old problem of not having enough strikers. We don’t learn. We don’t learn to acquire them in the Summer. We know from very painful experience how difficult the January window is. Make mistakes, learn...then apply  the knowledge. We don’t. Instead we get fed bullshit from our Club. 

It back to basics time. For example, the most important Club we need a scouting/player relationship with in the South a West is Exeter, (possibly Plymouth short-term also). Exeter is probably the only a Club we don’t seemingly have a relationship with!!!!

Forget massive squads, concentrate on quality not quantity. Invest in a decent scouting network with old school talent spotters rather than people pouring over statistics and ‘analytics’.

Identify a system and pattern of play, identify the players that will deliver and go and get them and get leaders, winners and good balance of power and agile players.

Rather think we may have got to the stage of ‘two envelopes’ again. Lose the next two games and it may well be curtains. 

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

Perhaps the head coach has been told by the owner to deliver with what he already has ?

Couldn't blame him for that if so, we don't have a terrible squad on paper.

...and perhaps LJ opened his mouth too soon when saying “I’ve got too big a squad”?  There’s a big part of me that says - “Lee - sink or swim time, deliver with what you’ve got, they’re your players”

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think LJ deserves the following in January.

The chance to loan a good calibre striker- the Afobe thing was desperately unlucky- and not just any old good calibre, the striker has to fit with how he supposedly wants us to play and has to be able to mesh with the players we have- consistent philosophy, policy.

If a superb loan or 2 at a good price in whatever position- save for striker as if we get the right one we'd be well stocked- then of course this should be considered- not automatically granted but considered.

Otherwise I agree with @Natchfever . Would also add a cohesive team and structure cannot, just cannot be built with such a churn...this just can't IMO...

The above caveats aside, yes he should have to work to get the best out of what is a decent squad. Not top 2 but a strong top 6 push and consistent identity should really be attainable and by now especially.

...that’s a fair challenge, but injuries happen, it’s why he has the big squad.

1 hour ago, Natchfever said:

I personally think he will get funds to do his stuff.

What he ultimately does with existing and future players is anyones guess though.

...I still don’t think there’s much in the pot.  It’s not just fee (divided by contract term), but agent fee, wages, etc.

41 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Message to Mark Ashton. Get Matty Taylor back now FFS. May upset your mates at Oxford but we’re paying you, not them. 

At least he is a striker who knows where the net is and has a basic idea of our style of play. That’s a start. 

We’re traditionally useless in the January window... and it seems we’ve got off to our normal rip-roaring start despite having known since September we were short of one striker and after the Afobe injury, two. 

...I’m really surprised his permanent move to Oxford hasn’t been confirmed.  Thought it would get tied up really quickly.  Unless City are covering their bases should they not get who they want and further injuries occur before end of the window.

They have to be registered by noon today. We could have done that and not announced yet. Could be waiting for a time where most will be able to read and process the news. There was a rumour of roof activity on FB so still a few hours to be hopeful. Can’t help but think a new signing will perk the entire club up from fans to staff

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Looks like we won’t be introducing Eddie the wonder kid or any bugger else for the match v Wigan.

I am a little surprised I thought that these deals would have been ready to sign off on the opening day of the window.

Obviously no one can sign before but as Mr Ashton points out we are constantly working on recruitment so is it really so unreasonable to think that at least one deal would have been tied up ? 

:C"mon Major, we are only 10 days in?...............it'll be another 20 days and 23hours before we tie up any signings ??

2 hours ago, Prinny said:

Getting the players at the start of the month is an extra three league games (Not possible for the 1st) and 9 points up for grabs.

So this is frustrating.

I fully understand why it takes forever to do deals. Players want to look at their options. Clubs trying to charge more for early purchases.

Which is why I don't get this obsession with Nketiah, and hope it's not shared at the club. Someone who clearly isn't that fussed about whether he plays for us, and who's career with us is going to be a couple of dozen games at most, and shortening by the day. 

I really hope that we are putting our resources (cash and time) into a permanent signing - the Kodjia move to Forest seems a far better long term option. Never easy in Jan though I know. 

1 hour ago, BCFC Grim said:

Well maybe he should be looking to spend a little more money on a good manager rather than a " yes" man. His managerial appointments have been been pretty poor bar the exception of GJ and SC. Who actually wasnt his choice.......

Agree completely! I have been saying this for ages, it would be cheaper to pay for a top coach - ala Leeds, than waste more money on more and more average squad players 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

...and perhaps LJ opened his mouth too soon when saying “I’ve got too big a squad”?  There’s a big part of me that says - “Lee - sink or swim time, deliver with what you’ve got, they’re your players”

Can’t like this comment enough. Our squad is massive , we can debate the quality, the cover we have in respective positions but over his tenure he has been backed by the club more than possibly any other manager in our league? 

I would be surprised if there were not board members who aren’t thinking the same, when he advises he needs further players, leaders etc.

You just know he’ll be backed in this window and unfortunately he’ll be saying the same things about the squad in January next year 

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i think he needed  a new player in this week just to give the team a lift. 2 big games coming up. he needs positive results against wigan and Shrewsbury. loose those two and even mr loyal steve lansdown will have to act. 

If he acted after having bankrolled a couple more players that Johnson wanted then he'd be an idiot because any new manager/coach may not fancy those players.

3 hours ago, JBFC II said:

Maybe the football, but no chance he’s pissed off with the rugby

I ment the last couple results hammered by saracens drawing with irish then wasps and leicester result not that he pissed off with the rugby pat lam is doing an incredible job 

34 minutes ago, Highguy said:

I ment the last couple results hammered by saracens drawing with irish then wasps and leicester result not that he pissed off with the rugby pat lam is doing an incredible job 

Spot on but I think its a three way race for relegation and Bristol is one of the contenders unfortunately.

Lam doing very well with what is still a sketchy squad in places.

Archived