IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

NcnsBcfc

Bit of a discussion between Graham C and myself over Walsh' contract. That hopefully people on here can clear up.

When he signed from Everton, it was for 2.5 years I believe. They doesn't seem to be an option year pit in by the club.

Now Gregor and Coventry are reporting that his loan has been extended to the summer. If that's the case, he'll be out of contract? With no apparent new one on offer.

All a bit strange by City, who normally like to cover all their bases.

I'm guessing that it has to be one of three options. Either we exercise an optional year that no-one knows about. He signs a new contract before heading back to Coventry for the 2nd half of the season. Or we sell him for a nominal fee somewhere?

I'm sure LJ does rate him, just needed some experience in L1. His free kick at QPR is almost goal of the season(possibly Josh's at Cardiff, might shade it).

Anyone have any knowledge about him?

He's only 22 so as long as he is offered a contract (which inevitably he will be) the Club are protected and guaranteed compensation for any move whilst he is under 24.  The same applies to Bakinson who looks much further away than Liam Walsh from reaching the first team squad. It was an undisclosed fee to Everton but the figure cited in newspaper reports before signing was £1m.

34 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

He's only 22 so as long as he is offered a contract (which inevitably he will be) the Club are protected and guaranteed compensation for any move whilst he is under 24.  The same applies to Bakinson who looks much further away than Liam Walsh from reaching the first team squad. It was an undisclosed fee to Everton but the figure cited in newspaper reports before signing was £1m.

Bakinson signed a new 3 year( plus option) deal in May 2019.

Before we send out people on loan that are coming to the end of their contracts. We normally give them a new one. Moore/Hinds/Smith etc.

Doesn't seem to have happened in Walsh's case; and his contract situation hasn't been mentioned by LJ.

Walsh said earlier this week that he wants to extend his stay at City and I, for one, think he’s a real talent and that we will regret him leaving with no return on investment. 

The lad’s learning his trade, been brought through at a top club and he will develop into a decent player.

Cotterill’s City side was full of players of similar profile (JET, Ayling, Freeman etc) and if you look at Wilder’s Sheff Utd, these players all fit a similar profile - brought through at PL academies, don’t make the grade, get released with hunger to prove themselves and eventually make it. 

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Decent player but has never fitted into any line up we've tried. 

Add to the list of odd signings that never broke through 

A mate of mine who watches Cov is delighted, says he'll take them up in the top two 

13 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

No surprise that Lee fails to bring the best from a young,,talented player.

It's what he does.

Or, like Moore, will come back from his loan spell a better player, more motivated and push for the first team. 

Easy to slag off when things aren’t going well but nothing odd about this one. Promising young player who wasn’t ready for this level and needed regular football. Will be our gain when he comes back. 

11 hours ago, tin said:

Walsh said earlier this week that he wants to extend his stay at City and I, for one, think he’s a real talent and that we will regret him leaving with no return on investment. 

The lad’s learning his trade, been brought through at a top club and he will develop into a decent player.

Cotterill’s City side was full of players of similar profile (JET, Ayling, Freeman etc) and if you look at Wilder’s Sheff Utd, these players all fit a similar profile - brought through at PL academies, don’t make the grade, get released with hunger to prove themselves and eventually make it. 

Yeah, Coventry City.

3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

something wrong when players like walsh . moore and Morrell have to go somewhere else to becone better players. cant we develop them. does not make sense to me.

Lower level to be fair. 

Having said that, we don't have the best of records in nurturing bought in talent. 

45 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

something wrong when players like walsh . moore and Morrell have to go somewhere else to becone better players. cant we develop them. does not make sense to me.

Not that difficult to understand that playing week in week out in a competitive men’s league is more beneficial for some players than just training week in week out is it? It’s part of player development

24 minutes ago, KBbcfc said:

Not that difficult to understand that playing week in week out in a competitive men’s league is more beneficial for some players than just training week in week out is it? It’s part of player development

Playing U23's or Reserve Team football is just not competitive enough these days. To get match day experience it is better to go out on loan. It benefited Bobby Reid and Joe Bryan. Like all younger players some take to it and improve their level and some sadly don't.

Let's hope City are factoring in Walsh's return whey they consider any other purchases.

That Stoke performance was something special and I'd like to think Walsh has been assured he has a future at AG.

Looks like he's doing well for Coventry and should be a genuine challenger for a regular first team place when his loan is up.

With the current state of our midfield and lack of creativity I'd have him back now.

Amazed at some of the posts on this thread!

Walsh’s loan is going exactly as we’d have hoped for. He’s developing into a top league one player, who’s next step will be returning here and fighting for a championship first team place. 

It’s ideal! 

• Admin
24 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Amazed at some of the posts on this thread!

Walsh’s loan is going exactly as we’d have hoped for. He’s developing into a top league one player, who’s next step will be returning here and fighting for a championship first team place. 

It’s ideal! 

He's out of contract in the summer 

He won't be coming back 

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

So, do you want to call into question why Chelsea sent us Tammy? He came here to develop in a lower league and is now a starter for a team in the top 4 of the prem. 

Maybe there’s something wrong with Chelsea too? And all those other teams who loan their youngsters out? 

1 hour ago, phantom said:

He's out of contract in the summer 

He won't be coming back 

As per my  first couple of posts on this thread.

My point was not whether Walsh was good enough or not.

It was whether he was out of contract at he end of his loan period at Coventry(if he goes back there).

It just seemed poor financial management on our part to let him walk away for nothing; if that is in fact the case.

I kept waiting for Gregor to ask LJ about his contract situation; but it seems to be a question that's never been asked.

No 1 year option has ever been mentioned, so we can assume he’s OOC this summer.

City’s options:

1. Offer him a new deal, which leads to other options:

• he signs it, we move on
  • he doesn’t sign it, he becomes available in the summer for either development compensation agreed by a tribunal or an agreement between us and buying club

2. Don’t offer him a deal, Walsh is free to go wherever he likes in the summer (no development compensation)

I’ll happily admit Walsh is my blind spot...I just can’t see him being a regular here at City.  He might prove me wrong.  Fair play to him if he does - i’m sure he isn’t worried about my view!!

In Coventry’s situation, they may be hoping he doesn’t sign a deal, who knows they might be encouraging him not to.

17 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

None of us can be certain of that..

Yes we can.

The thread of replies I was responding to was about Liam Walsh saying he wanted to extend his time at City.

Earlier this week Liam Walsh said

"Bristol City are a great club and have a great manager and that’s where I want to end up playing at the end, so I hope he sees my performances and gets me in”

Unless there is a hidden coded message there that means he doesn't want to stay with us, then it's pretty clear what has been said.

There's 2 real interpretations that can be made.

1. He is hoping to be recalled and play a part in the remainder of this season.

2. He knows a bit more than the rest of us about his situation and feels he will have the chance next season/preseason to break into the team.

He should've been out on loan last season to be fair.

It seems crazy to buy someone like Walsh, give him a 2 and a half year contract, and for that contract to have run out by the time he's "ready" for our first team.  I'm not sure that's a sustainable model at all.

19 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Yes we can.

The thread of replies I was responding to was about Liam Walsh saying he wanted to extend his time at City.

Earlier this week Liam Walsh said

"Bristol City are a great club and have a great manager and that’s where I want to end up playing at the end, so I hope he sees my performances and gets me in”

Unless there is a hidden coded message there that means he doesn't want to stay with us, then it's pretty clear what has been said.

There's 2 real interpretations that can be made.

1. He is hoping to be recalled and play a part in the remainder of this season.

2. He knows a bit more than the rest of us about his situation and feels he will have the chance next season/preseason to break into the team.

What’s he meant to say?

Archived