IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

NcnsBcfc

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

What’s he meant to say?

I've seen players say... 
"my contracts up at the end of the season, I need to perform and see where that takes me" sort of thing.
He didn't need to say he wants to play here, but it did sound like that's what he hoped for. I agree that a lot of what players say in interviews is just lip service, but I hope this isn't , I think there is a very good player in there.

Always been confident Walsh will make it with us at this level. Been a fantastic loan for him. Now playing in a 2, something LJ said he can't do. He needs to do that to be able to break into our side.

With Brownhill maybe going, Korey maybe going, there may be places for him and Morrell next season.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Always been confident Walsh will make it with us at this level. Been a fantastic loan for him. Now playing in a 2, something LJ said he can't do. He needs to do that to be able to break into our side.

With Brownhill maybe going, Korey maybe going, there may be places for him and Morrell next season.

If so that's a bit awkward for LJ.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If so that's a bit awkward for LJ.

Bit strange with Walsh and LJ. LJ says in an interview Walsh can't play in a 2. Be brings him on in a 4141/433 against Stoke and is unbelievably good in a 3 man midfield.

Every game since then he plays him in a midfield 2 even though he says he can't play there!

Well maybe he's learned now at Coventry. I am hoping he gets his chance next season. 

Just now, Up The City! said:

Which players are these?

Name them.

I don’t think he likes playing younger players (those under 23) but players do get better here,

our transfer dealings is proof of that, and those saying it doesn’t are just lazy

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

I don’t think he likes playing younger players (those under 23) but players do get better here,

our transfer dealings is proof of that, and those saying it doesn’t are just lazy

I dont think its necessarily a Bristol City Lee Johnson specific problem, in this results driven business then very few clubs are prepared to give younger players a chance unless they are an exceptional talent or through necessity. The problem with younger players is that they are just not consistent enough. 

It seems these days it takes a player to the age of 23/24 before they cement a place in a team. 

1 minute ago, Up The City! said:

I dont think its necessarily a Bristol City Lee Johnson specific problem, in this results driven business then very few clubs are prepared to give younger players a chance unless they are an exceptional talent or through necessity. The problem with younger players is that they are just not consistent enough. 

It seems these days it takes a player to the age of 23/24 before they cement a place in a team. 

I’m of the if you are good enough you are old enough breed,

but you can critique Johnson for many things but player development isn’t one of those imo, 

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Walsh has a better passing range and is far more creative.

Good shot on him too.

Not saying he’s the same and indeed I think he has more promise than Lee had, but he’s probably the closest comparison (physique, style etc) of the ones that we have currently got so you’d think Lee would relish to work with and develop him and should be able to get the best out of him. We will see!

(Going off topic I think Lee was a better player than he was often given credit for and people seem to remember and I wonder what would have happened if he’d stayed fit throughout the play off season).

15 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

No surprise that Lee fails to bring the best from a young,,talented player.

It's what he does.

Apart from Kelly who went to Bournemouth to £18m, Webster who starts regularly for a Premier League side, Abraham who is one of the best strikers in the Premier League at the moment, Reid who got a Premier League move and Bryan who also got a Premier League move.

But yeah you’re right no one at all.

19 minutes ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Apart from Kelly who went to Bournemouth to £18m, Webster who starts regularly for a Premier League side, Abraham who is one of the best strikers in the Premier League at the moment, Reid who got a Premier League move and Bryan who also got a Premier League move.

Webster??

Abraham??

Bryan??

Even Reid was going nowhere untill Lee was forced into playing him as a striker because we had no one else,,so no not a tactical masterstroke.

Get back to your homework.

1 hour ago, Lez said:

Eisa engvall Adelukan vyner some examples.

Very poor examples. 

You could argue Eisa has performed well because of the coaching he recieved here. We should have loaned him rather than sold him tho but we have retained a significant interest in him.

Engvall was just shit. The other two you mention could possibly well come good in the future.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Very poor examples. 

You could argue Eisa has performed well because of the coaching he recieved here. We should have loaned him rather than sold him tho but we have retained a significant interest in him.

Engvall was just shit. The other two you mention could possibly well come good in the future.

I'm glad you think they were great success stories. 

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

Very poor examples. 

The majority of young players have improved since LJ has been in charge.

Not sure if that is because of LJ. Maybe some are, maybe some were always going to improve as they get older.

But I can't imagine there are many, if any that have not become better players since he has been here.

It's a hard one, our development and getting the best out of players under LJ:

FOR:

Big tick for Webster, brought, developed, big profit. 

Wider debate:

I'd also argue Flint improved in SOME areas under LJ. I recall his passing and technique hit its plateau here in his final season. LJ? 

Bryan. Well he was pretty good already!

Brownhill? Well he's better than when he arrived. 

Reid. Fair play for switch to striker...how much was truly LJ, how much was  coaches, how much was necessity. 

Ones I cannot pinpoint:

Moore. I think he is decent but I don't know whether this is down to or despite LJ. I'm really unsure...still think he could've been loaned to a Ligue 2 or Bundesliga 2 club to balance his English and European football upbringing. 

O'Dowda. Forgettable 2016/17. Then in Autumn 2017, a fantastic run of form until his untimely injury. Not really found this again and form has fallen off a cliff this season.

Eliasson. He's excellent and yet can still grow..but how much credit is due to LJ? Given a lack of faith in him earlier this season, I'm unsure. 

Players from a decent level who have either regressed or we have seen LJ fail to get the best out of:

Magnússon...played in a decent Iceland side, once shackled Perisic in a WC qualifier. There's a reasonable player in there yet I feel he went backwards here- also wasn't he from a renowned academy such as Juventus? Great football education!

Started off with strong reviews on here- like a few. Seem to recall LJ threw him under the bus in a post match interview. 

Players and especially in midfield who we've not seen the best of who have regressed- formation based?

O'Neil Large injuries but had strong early reviews so clearly playing well early. Given his experience and know how a clear asset, but given his age best in a 3.

Hegeler. Significant injuries granted BUT again got some early good reviews. Best suited to a 3.

Walsh. Best suited to a 3, never got a proper crack. His display v Stoke in, why, a 3 was great! His goal and assist vs QPR were excellent...yet he also was at fault defensively.

Play him in a '2' though and it can happen! Formations can accentuate positives and help to mask weak points, both in individuals and teams.

Nagy. Started excellently. Sadly had the medium term injury, not quite been  the same. Formation doesn't help! 

Pack. We saw a good Pack, he also had limitations but the shape we played him in last year didn't give him the platform to play his best. 

Assorted others:

Kalas. Fantastic last season. Now early injury and perhaps not fully fit lately. Playing him with a 2 man CM in front probably doesn't help either.

He showed good technical ability at Fulham, albeit conservatively. 

Some more:

Massengo. Seems to have regressed. Yet he's probably played more than anticipated due to injuries. Young, can be easily bullied but again the system doesn't always help.

Adelakun. No loan last January didn't help. Regular football can help players to develop or at least retain value. An offer of a loan return to Scunthorpe could've killed two birds with one stone. 

1) Regular football in an environment he knows. 

2) Helped negotiations with Scunthorpe over Adelakun fee, tribunal etc. 

Eisa. Charlton were in for him on loan? Should've jumped at it! High end League One with some solid football, logical next step.

Area he knows well from his Greenwich days and a very possible good spell there would've surely enhanced his value!

7 hours ago, Charlie BCFC said:

Ignore it, just another stick for the LJ Out brigade to beat him with, and as you’ve clearly pointed out, not a very good one at that.

10 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Bit strange with Walsh and LJ. LJ says in an interview Walsh can't play in a 2. Be brings him on in a 4141/433 against Stoke and is unbelievably good in a 3 man midfield.

Every game since then he plays him in a midfield 2 even though he says he can't play there!

Well maybe he's learned now at Coventry. I am hoping he gets his chance next season. 

And he’s excelling in a ‘2’ for the Cov!! ?

His contract runs out end of this season I think. Would be really awful to lose him for very little.

Coventry fans saying he has been brilliant. I would look to have him in the side next season.

Surely tell him this is the plan and hope he signs a new deal.

Should have got this loan last season and he might have progressed quicker.

EPCvwKKXkAUPuw5.png

Archived