IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

NcnsBcfc

7 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Perhaps, at this stage of his career, League 1 is where he belongs?

If he's that good in league one then maybe he will be ready for championship next season.

City don't leave these things until last minute, they'd have been in contract talks with Walsh for a while. I can't imagine we'd want him to go on a free after spending £1m on him.

I hope we get him, Eliasson, Diedhiou & even Brownhill tied down to longer contracts sooner rather than later. 

I wonder how Coventry line up.

I think he's great. He runs with the ball excitingly and he's a brilliant long range passer. But he's lightweight and without 2 stronger more defensively minded midfielders around him, I think City looked a little lightweight. So although I really enjoy watching him play and was disappointed he was loaned away, I do understand why.

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

His contract runs out end of this season I think. Would be really awful to lose him for very little.

Coventry fans saying he has been brilliant. I would look to have him in the side next season.

Surely tell him this is the plan and hope he signs a new deal.

Should have got this loan last season and he might have progressed quicker.

EPCvwKKXkAUPuw5.png

There is no “one year option” in his contract.  As it stands, he will leave in the summer, if not before.  This window is unlikely, unless Cov are gonna buy him.  Unlikely, unless they go up.

33 minutes ago, Carey 6 said:

City don't leave these things until last minute, they'd have been in contract talks with Walsh for a while. I can't imagine we'd want him to go on a free after spending £1m on him.

I hope we get him, Eliasson, Diedhiou & even Brownhill tied down to longer contracts sooner rather than later. 

He won’t go on a free, unless we are stupid.

We will offer him a 1 year deal on his current terms.  He will turn it down.  Clubs will then either take it to tribunal or come to agreement re fee for him.  We will make a profit on him.  This loan was his shop window, he’s done well, and increased his value.

10 minutes ago, phantom said:

Never coming back to us

Agreed.

Next season’s midfield will be Nagy, Massengo, Morrell, Brownhill (or his replacement).  Smith - tbc, depends on his form for rest of season.

13 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

There is no “one year option” in his contract.  As it stands, he will leave in the summer, if not before.  This window is unlikely, unless Cov are gonna buy him.  Unlikely, unless they go up.

He won’t go on a free, unless we are stupid.

We will offer him a 1 year deal on his current terms.  He will turn it down.  Clubs will then either take it to tribunal or come to agreement re fee for him.  We will make a profit on him.  This loan was his shop window, he’s done well, and increased his value.

Agreed.

Next season’s midfield will be Nagy, Massengo, Morrell, Brownhill (or his replacement).  Smith - tbc, depends on his form for rest of season.

Its a shame if we do lose him. Massive potential.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Maybe.  I don’t see it....but happy to admit, he’s the player that will come back and bite me on the arse.

Who do you reckon has more potential Morrell or Walsh?

Think Walsh would do well in the 352 we started the season with. Two mobile strikers would love him and his eye for a pass.

26 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Great, so hes gone there and learned something. I am sure he still needs to learn more too, better he does it there than here in front of our unforgiving fans.

Well there's currently 6,000 of them so he isn't as likely to hear them, although if Cov churned out negative shite at home maybe their fans would be a tad unforgiving too.

Methinks you are a bit harsh on our support !

As for Walsh, he should keep his options open. No guarantee that we will get our money back if it went to a Tribunal although his form will help in that regard, and as a free agent he could get a very nice signing on fee, plus some idea if he would be a first team player.

Shame really but if he won't feature in the head coach's plans then that's that.

1 hour ago, Carey 6 said:

Diedhiou tied down to a longer contract?I would prefer he was tied to the bench.

I think not having him tied down already is right up there with the Liam Rosenior cock up. From the bits I've seen , there is a good player there. 2 footed , mobile and vision. Can dribble and shoot as well as spread the play. I think that all, or most of , what was missing was experience and strength. The loan would have done him the world of good, and I don't think he would be out of place in our midfield now.
Morrell is similar, different player , but the loan would have done him masses of good. The Wales call up proves that, I hope he's tied down to a decent contract.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Insider info or just hunch?

Kind of a bit of both. 

I know someone well in at Cov and they have high hopes for Walsh going forward and are waiting for him to be out of contract before signing him.

Of course whether he goes elsewhere....

15 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Who do you reckon has more potential Morrell or Walsh?

Think Walsh would do well in the 352 we started the season with. Two mobile strikers would love him and his eye for a pass.

Morrell.  Different player to Walsh though.  Morrell has shown different aspects of his game every time I’ve seen him, aspects that I think give him more chance of being a regular Championship midfielder.  You’d have to play a specific way to get the best out of Walsh at Champ level, and I don’t think anyone will see enough upside to do that.  Morrell can play multiple systems.

Could you see Walsh playing for Wales (if he was Welsh) and making the impact like Morrell has?

I think what Walsh can’t do off the ball will ultimately hold him back at the next level up.

Hope he proves me wrong.  Great, he’s doing so well at Cov.

I do think people base a lot of their judgements of Walsh on 45 minutes v Stoke, when the whole side pummelled them second half (but couldn’t beat Butland).  Was he lifted, or the lifter?  He showed promise, but he’s had anonymous games / bits of games too.

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

Kind of a bit of both. 

I know someone well in at Cov and they have high hopes for Walsh going forward and are waiting for him to be out of contract before signing him.

Of course whether he goes elsewhere....

That’s the risk Coventry are taking by not moving now.  They can’t afford him now though.

11 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Be interested to know how much they are contributing to his quite substantial salary.  If they are contributing 50% I’d be amazed, more like 25-30% I reckon.

Because you tend to loan down, we are unlikely to get loan fees or get 100% of wages, and if we did get a fee I would expect it to be nominal. As you say 25-30% is probably right, maybe a little high. They get around 5 to 6k and paying Brum for the privilege , they are not in a great position.

From what I've seen of him this season, highlights and the Gas game, he's playing very well.

Passing is definitely Champ quality, he can mix it up as well, long short, high low. A lot of their forward play goes through him.

In the Gas game his pressing was good, more like one of LJ's "busy bees". He definitely stood out in that match and showed a lot of quality on and off the ball.

If he wasn't already our player then he'd look like one who you would want to sign with the hope he can step up to the next level. He's definitely a talented lad.

I think he should be retained if possible in the summer and with the first team at least until next Jan. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I will be so annoyed if we have that **** stain COD in the side and we let Walsh go on a free without even trying him. 

According to LJ Walsh had difficulty setting into the squad and that clearly effected his performances............he had the same difficulties when on loan in Germany.

16 minutes ago, Robbored said:

According to LJ Walsh had difficulty setting into the squad and that clearly effected his performances............he had the same difficulties when on loan in Germany.

Is this Walsh you are on about? Don't think Walsh ever went to Germany. Are you mixed up with Ryan Kent?

Archived