IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

NcnsBcfc

On 10/01/2020 at 21:10, tin said:

Walsh said earlier this week that he wants to extend his stay at City and I, for one, think he’s a real talent and that we will regret him leaving with no return on investment. 

The lad’s learning his trade, been brought through at a top club and he will develop into a decent player.

Cotterill’s City side was full of players of similar profile (JET, Ayling, Freeman etc) and if you look at Wilder’s Sheff Utd, these players all fit a similar profile - brought through at PL academies, don’t make the grade, get released with hunger to prove themselves and eventually make it. 

You are so spot on, But also with Wilders teams each player plays regular and stick to a system.. Walsh hasnt had that consistent game time until he ended up at Coventry.. In my opinion we shouldn't of signed Nagy ( that's nothing against him) But we have the players already at the club they need game time to improve and gain confidence.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Morrell.  Different player to Walsh though.  Morrell has shown different aspects of his game every time I’ve seen him, aspects that I think give him more chance of being a regular Championship midfielder.  You’d have to play a specific way to get the best out of Walsh at Champ level, and I don’t think anyone will see enough upside to do that.  Morrell can play multiple systems.

Could you see Walsh playing for Wales (if he was Welsh) and making the impact like Morrell has?

I think what Walsh can’t do off the ball will ultimately hold him back at the next level up.

Hope he proves me wrong.  Great, he’s doing so well at Cov.

I do think people base a lot of their judgements of Walsh on 45 minutes v Stoke, when the whole side pummelled them second half (but couldn’t beat Butland).  Was he lifted, or the lifter?  He showed promise, but he’s had anonymous games / bits of games too.

100% he was the 'lifter'.

Yes, we pummelled Stoke for that 2nd half and absolutely everything went through Walsh.

He was on the ball constantly and orchestrated everything; it was a phenomenal 45 minutes from Walsh and demonstrated how one player's outstanding positive performance could lift a whole team, a whole game, and a whole stadium.

Hard to recall a more complete and exciting 45 minutes from a young City player and a disgrace imo. if City are allowing this talent drift away from the club having had so few opportunities to really make his mark.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

I’m really not that interested in players that aren’t involved in the first team.

Yet you've clicked on the topic about a player not involved in the first team and posted an opinion.

Not seen you do that in a while. Back to your old tricks again......:cool2:

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Yet you've clicked on the topic about a player not involved in the first team and posted an opinion.

Not seen you do that in a while. Back to your old tricks again......:cool2:

Tbh, I got Kent and Walsh muddled up. Both scousers and both only briefly involved in the first team and I replied to explain why Walsh (Kent) didn’t flourish at City............if you see what I mean............:dunno:

2 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Tbh, I got Kent and Walsh muddled up. Both scousers and both only briefly involved in the first team and I replied to explain why Walsh (Kent) didn’t flourish at City............if you see what I mean............:dunno:

I do, but the same applies. Kent isn't even our player!

Why did you come into the topic and post if not interested?

Troll harder.....:cool2:

On 11/01/2020 at 20:28, Charlie BCFC said:

Apart from Kelly who went to Bournemouth to £18m, Webster who starts regularly for a Premier League side, Abraham who is one of the best strikers in the Premier League at the moment, Reid who got a Premier League move and Bryan who also got a Premier League move.

Are you seriously giving LJ the credit for Joe Bryan’s development? Joe played nearly 80 games for our first team during the 2013/2014 and 2014/2015 seasons - mostly under Steve Cotterill’s management - Joe was bloody good and destined for the top long before LJ rocked up...

On 11/01/2020 at 12:24, Davefevs said:

No 1 year option has ever been mentioned, so we can assume he’s OOC this summer.

City’s options:

1. Offer him a new deal, which leads to other options:

• he signs it, we move on
  • he doesn’t sign it, he becomes available in the summer for either development compensation agreed by a tribunal or an agreement between us and buying club

2. Don’t offer him a deal, Walsh is free to go wherever he likes in the summer (no development compensation)

I’ll happily admit Walsh is my blind spot...I just can’t see him being a regular here at City.  He might prove me wrong.  Fair play to him if he does - i’m sure he isn’t worried about my view!!

In Coventry’s situation, they may be hoping he doesn’t sign a deal, who knows they might be encouraging him not to.

Obviously no guarantees, but the qpr free kick and that solo goal for cov, suggests he has some real quality,,,, bringing him and morrell back to replace brownhill if he goes this summer would seem very sensible to me?

On 25/01/2020 at 21:32, Simon bristol said:

Obviously no guarantees, but the qpr free kick and that solo goal for cov, suggests he has some real quality,,,, bringing him and morrell back to replace brownhill if he goes this summer would seem very sensible to me?

I'd probably keep one of them out on loan as we already have Nagy, Smith and Massengo.

But from what I'm reading Walsh is doing very well there. Winning motm again, this time against Birmingham in the cup. Controlling the midfield. 

Their fans are desperate for them to sign him up. But one reckons he does actually have a year option in the contract. That makes sense as I can't see how we would loan him out to only leave for nothing in the summer.

At 22 playing so well in league one. Apparently a lot better than he started. He doesn't make the mistakes he was, and it seems to be exactly the right loan for him.

Get him back here either now or next season and stick him in our side I reckon. We want to play passing football. Well we have a 2 footed classy midfielder who is still only 22 and will get better.

He should have had this loan a year ago as he might be in our side now if so.

On 25/01/2020 at 21:32, Simon bristol said:

Personally I would have them both back now if Brownhill goes. Apparently we are in the market for a midfield player (as well as a forward) and we have two chomping at the bit to play. I guess this week will tell.

I’ve always liked Walsh. Think he’s a cracking little player and will only come good. He came on as sub against Man City(a) for his debut and he didn’t look out of place then. 

Hopefully Morrell, Walsh and Szmodics will be like new signings next season.

4 hours ago, RedDave said:

So he does have an option after all! As was obvious really

It wasn’t actually!!!

When signing his original deal, the conditions of the ‘option’ year would’ve been agreed at that point.  His first 2.5 years might’ve been £8k per week, but the option year might’ve been more, e.g. £10-12k.  Walsh might’ve said, “If you want the protection of a year option, I want higher wages”.  Walsh, then bound by City’s decision to exercise or not.  But if City chose not to exercise it, he can go for nothing, no tribunal.  So pros and cons on both sides.

Being under 24, in the summer, as long as City offer him another year at £8k (in line with existing contract), and Walsh rejected it they become entitled to development compensation.

So in fact, with this protection available they didn’t have to commit to an option year.

Not the greatest explanation from me though.

edit: forgot to add, looks like he had a very good game v Brum.  Has he lost a bit of his ‘chunkyness’?

3 hours ago, Lew-T said:

Well Brownhill is likely to be off. LJ also said that Walsh is better in a midfield 3 so we will need options in there.

I hope the penny has dropped with him that we would probably be better full stop in a midfield 3, perhaps many of our CMs past and present under him might have been!

4-3-3 would certainly help to highlight Walsh's strengths and perhaps help mask some of the weaknesses. QPR in the Cup showcased both of these, albeit in a two!

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

It wasn’t actually!!!

When signing his original deal, the conditions of the ‘option’ year would’ve been agreed at that point.  His first 2.5 years might’ve been £8k per week, but the option year might’ve been more, e.g. £10-12k.  Walsh might’ve said, “If you want the protection of a year option, I want higher wages”.  Walsh, then bound by City’s decision to exercise or not.  But if City chose not to exercise it, he can go for nothing, no tribunal.  So pros and cons on both sides.

Being under 24, in the summer, as long as City offer him another year at £8k (in line with existing contract), and Walsh rejected it they become entitled to development compensation.

So in fact, with this protection available they didn’t have to commit to an option year.

Not the greatest explanation from me though.

edit: forgot to add, looks like he had a very good game v Brum.  Has he lost a bit of his ‘chunkyness’?

Course it was obvious. If we hadn’t have had an option it would have been mentioned that we were either talks for a new deal or we were looking to sell him to have value.  Neither was mentioned so it was clear there was an option. Development compensation would have been low. So low as to be quite irrelevant 

40 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

He’s a fine player ...

Makes me think we should have just endured the bumps and bruises and played him. I don’t care what league he plays in he has obvious quality. Always thought he could be our Barry Bannan and still do. 

I have said before he needed a loan for timing purposes. Mostly defensive and the video shows he times tackles much better now. Shows he knows when to agitate and when to drop off and contain. It looks as if he has taken some extra touches out of his game as well which I think is important for a CM(Nagy big problem imo). 

@Davefevs he does look slimmer but maybe that is because he is playing ?

11 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Course it was obvious. If we hadn’t have had an option it would have been mentioned that we were either talks for a new deal or we were looking to sell him to have value.  Neither was mentioned so it was clear there was an option. Development compensation would have been low. So low as to be quite irrelevant 

Perhaps have a read of this Dave.  It’s over 3 years old, the sums are not insignificant for some of lesser know players, but also see the add-ons the tribunal sets too.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

So, definitely not irrelevant.  We aren’t talking £18k for Alan Walsh in 2020.

Its obvious in your view.  I’m giving you an alternate view, and some factual data to perhaps suggest it’s not quite as obvious!

Archived