IGNORED

Liam Walsh (Merged)

NcnsBcfc

52 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Perhaps have a read of this Dave.  It’s over 3 years old, the sums are not insignificant for some of lesser know players, but also see the add-ons the tribunal sets too.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

So, definitely not irrelevant.  We aren’t talking £18k for Alan Walsh in 2020.

Its obvious in your view.  I’m giving you an alternate view, and some factual data to perhaps suggest it’s not quite as obvious!

I understand that compensation is paid but don’t believe we would get much for Walsh. With that in mind we would have heard if his contact was nearly up.  The club communicate year options or they communicate either selling or trying for new deals. If no communication then it’s highly likely that out of the three possibilities the actual is an option. 

Therefore it was obvious he had an option. The lack of communication made it obvious. 

6 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I understand that compensation is paid but don’t believe we would get much for Walsh. With that in mind we would have heard if his contact was nearly up.  The club communicate year options or they communicate either selling or trying for new deals. If no communication then it’s highly likely that out of the three possibilities the actual is an option. 

Therefore it was obvious he had an option. The lack of communication made it obvious. 

When you say not much, given the examples (from 3 years ago), our own Adelakun (Played Lg1 only) at £600k, I’d suggest we’d do ok.

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When you say not much, given the examples (from 3 years ago), our own Adelakun (Played Lg1 only) at £600k, I’d suggest we’d do ok.

Adelakun didn’t go to a tribunal. Other teams were interested in him at the time. He had been at Scunthorpe for quite a while, from a younger age and they could show they had developed him a lot.  Not really a comparable situation.  

Have not read complete thread, but interesting comments in the press conference available from yesterday and on line. 
One of LJ better ones with less of the phrases that are trotted out. Either way he alluded to Walsh a fair bit and confirmed  the extra year and stated Walsh needed pretty much 40 games  on the bounce to get him up to speed and prepared for championship football.  And to be a top performer in league one that would assist him for the championship.  He stated he was talking to him personally the day before.
listening to that I am optimistic he has a future here.

On 10/01/2020 at 20:09, ncnsbcfc said:

Bit of a discussion between Graham C and myself over Walsh' contract. That hopefully people on here can clear up.

When he signed from Everton, it was for 2.5 years I believe. They doesn't seem to be an option year pit in by the club.

Now Gregor and Coventry are reporting that his loan has been extended to the summer. If that's the case, he'll be out of contract? With no apparent new one on offer.

All a bit strange by City, who normally like to cover all their bases.

I'm guessing that it has to be one of three options. Either we exercise an optional year that no-one knows about. He signs a new contract before heading back to Coventry for the 2nd half of the season. Or we sell him for a nominal fee somewhere?

I'm sure LJ does rate him, just needed some experience in L1. His free kick at QPR is almost goal of the season(possibly Josh's at Cardiff, might shade it).

Anyone have any knowledge about him?

@GrahamC was a good poster. A little grumpy at times ? but certainly knew his stuff and had some great contributions to this site. Do you know why he doesn't post anymore?

As for Walsh - I really hope we keep him around. I think he's got great talent and the loan to Coventry has been brilliant for him. I think on raw talent alone he's more gifted than Brownhill, the issue with him is that he's not as versatile and some teams wouldn't trust him in a midfield 2 due to his size. His distribution is quality and he has a bit more vision and creativity in his passing than the others. The loan should make him ready for first team football next year.

I also really rate Morrell and think the two of them could really compliment eachother. Both play with a bit of bite and hustle - the sort of midfielders Johnson likes. 

Assuming Brownhill leaves over the next few months; I think in Nagy, Morrell, Walsh, HNM (and perhaps Smith for a bit of versatility and experience) we'd have a nice blend of midfielders with complimentary styles. I hope we give that group a chance over the next year if we're still in this league.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I also really rate Morrell and think the two of them could really compliment eachother. Both play with a bit of bite and hustle - the sort of midfielders Johnson likes. 

Assuming Brownhill leaves over the next few months; I think in Nagy, Morrell, Walsh, HNM (and perhaps Smith for a bit of versatility and experience) we'd have a nice blend of midfielders with complimentary styles. I hope we give that group a chance over the next year if we're still in this league.

Not much height there though.  I know that’s not everything, but sometimes I do think we lack a physical presence in midfield.

9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not much height there though.  I know that’s not everything, but sometimes I do think we lack a physical presence in midfield.

i'm not too worried about height more worried about physicality which we lack, as well as the ability to challenge for the ball which we lack 

37 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

28 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

i'm not too worried about height more worried about physicality which we lack, as well as the ability to challenge for the ball which we lack 

We lack numbers in the middle of the park over anything else. 

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We lack numbers in the middle of the park over anything else. 

brownhill

nagy

massingo

Smith

rowe

Palmer

Players who can fill in if needed

Wienman

O'dowda

Watkins

Players that could be recalled if needed

Walsh

Bakinson

Morrell

If anything we've got too many players who can play in the middle

9 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

brownhill

nagy

massingo

Smith

rowe

Palmer

Players who can fill in if needed

Wienman

O'dowda

Watkins

Players that could be recalled if needed

Walsh

Bakinson

Morrell

If anything we've got too many players who can play in the middle

Haha

You can’t play all of them at the same time!  Numbers as in how many people are in the middle of the park on a match day. i.e two rather than three

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That is true, good point and probably why that balance isn't realistic. 

I like Smith but he'd probably be the one i'd let go to bring in a taller player if anyone. Someone with experience, physicality and guile.

In the mid 2000s there seemed to be glut of midfielders floating about with the attributes we seem to miss in midfield - Marvin Elliot, Dickson Etuhu etc. I wonder if the game has moved on but there seems to be far less of that box-to-box style.

14 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That is true, good point and probably why that balance isn't realistic. 

I like Smith but he'd probably be the one i'd let go to bring in a taller player if anyone. Someone with experience, physicality and guile.

In the mid 2000s there seemed to be glut of midfielders floating about with the attributes we seem to miss in midfield - Marvin Elliot, Dickson Etuhu etc. I wonder if the game has moved on but there seems to be far less of that box-to-box style.

Saying that @The Dolman Pragmatist, I totally forgot about Bakinson.

Can't see it happening realistically - but I'd love to see us start next season with a midfield group of Bakinson, Walsh, Morrell, HNM and Nagy - (Smith stays as useful experience/cover and fill in at play right back if necessary).

I think that blend is pretty complimentary and sends a message to young players that they can make it in the first team if they apply themselves over time.

30 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Saying that @The Dolman Pragmatist, I totally forgot about Bakinson.

Can't see it happening realistically - but I'd love to see us start next season with a midfield group of Bakinson, Walsh, Morrell, HNM and Nagy - (Smith stays as useful experience/cover and fill in at play right back if necessary).

I think that blend is pretty complimentary and sends a message to young players that they can make it in the first team if they apply themselves over time.

I'd start one of walsh bakinson and morrell, with the other 2 being on the bench, (unless we get promoted) 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

Think we need to give Bakinson a season in league one before we start getting too excited about him 

That’s probably right and I think we will. I like the look of him though. I had heard the issue with him was more about attitude than ability so hopefully a couple of loans iron that out.

Hard to know for sure without seeing Lincoln and Coventry games. But I reckon it might be best to go with Walsh, Morrell, Nagy and Massengo competing for 2 or 3 places.

Korey maybe as well depending on how well he does from now till the end of the season. But those other 4 should be enough.

I'm only slightly concerned about Nagy and his inconsistency. But let's see how he does. Wouldn't shock me if we sold him in the summer if he isn't settled.

Archived