IGNORED

VAR - Killing the fun in football

LocoPal

Just watching the Sheffield Utd v West Ham game.

Should the West Ham goal have been disallowed?

It doesn't look like a conscious effort by the player in the build up to control the ball for the West Ham, disallowed goal.

But the touch to arm is all that VAR is concerned with.

Surely this is just incidental and in no way deliberate in thi case?

Major incident again against VAR validity in my eyes and I know it should be used effectively and better than this.

This has been a game that is played by people...refereed by people and for all both their failings, we have to ensure that fair play is ensured.

But, there is a line and VAR is absolutely wrong here in how it is applying its rule to this type of incident.

25 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd disagree and say VAR did what it's supposed to do. 

It's the actual rules that need updating if this ridiculous scenario is to continue 

As for killing the fun, the United fans celebrated that decision more than their goal 

VAR implemented the rule correctly but has been a shambles this season and should be scrapped.

28 minutes ago, phantom said:

I'd disagree and say VAR did what it's supposed to do. 

It's the actual rules that need updating if this ridiculous scenario is to continue 

As for killing the fun, the United fans celebrated that decision more than their goal 

That last sentence would be true if half of them wouldn’t of left when the goal went in

3 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Think plenty of people are jumping on the fashionable bandwagon of criticising VAR here when it's not the issue. I can understand why you'd question the handball being given, but that's an issue with a law of the game not the use or implementation of VAR

Can I ask what you think the upside of VAR is

10 minutes ago, CheddarReds said:

Think plenty of people are jumping on the fashionable bandwagon of criticising VAR here when it's not the issue. I can understand why you'd question the handball being given, but that's an issue with a law of the game not the use or implementation of VAR

But the implementation of VAR has been a shambles all season regardless of the handball rule that is a joke. This is not a fashionable bandwagon - its just common sense for any proper football fan (not the armchair jokers).

Incorrect calls on offsides, wasting of time looking at tight decisions when they aren't clear and obvious, refs not knowing if they should go to the screens or not, decisions showing up incorrectly on screens in the ground, fans not knowing what is going on at the game...the list never ends. But the main thing for me is it is wrecking the feeling of scoring a goal - ie the emotion. And so it should be scrapped immediately.

3 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What I thought was amazing about the game was West Ham’s following - Friday night, live on TV - 360 mile round trip from East London and they packed the away end - huge respect to the Irons’ fans - proper loyal bunch ...

Yet they travel home without a point because of this all - disgraceful.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What I thought was amazing about the game was West Ham’s following - Friday night, live on TV - 360 mile round trip from East London - huge respect to the Irons’ fans - proper loyal bunch ...

Agree - Proper football fans the Hammers. Full respect to them.

7 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What I thought was amazing about the game was West Ham’s following - Friday night, live on TV - 360 mile round trip from East London and they packed the away end - huge respect to the Irons’ fans - proper loyal bunch ...

Nothing special really mate,even Chelsea sell out away ends nowadays 

1 minute ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yet they travel home without a point because of this all - disgraceful.

Yep, the defender headed the ball against Rice’s arm from a few inches away, how the hell is that handball?! Good grief ... just about every aspect of the modern world is making me wanna scream and get off the carousel - one prime example is loads of (mainly young) people actively looking to be offended every minute of every day about utter shite and now VAR is ruining our national sport - sad times ...

9 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

But the implementation of VAR has been a shambles all season regardless of the handball rule that is a joke. This is not a fashionable bandwagon - its just common sense for any proper football fan (not the armchair jokers).

Incorrect calls on offsides, wasting of time looking at tight decisions when they aren't clear and obvious, refs not knowing if they should go to the screens or not, decisions showing up incorrectly on screens in the ground, fans not knowing what is going on at the game...the list never ends. But the main thing for me is it is wrecking the feeling of scoring a goal - ie the emotion. And so it should be scrapped immediately.

Completely agree that it's implementation has been piss. We all want moments like West Ham thought they had tonight where you get a point last minute, taking that away is killing the emotion no doubt. It'll be interesting to see in the medium term the impact it'll have on things like goal scoring. For example whether less goals are scored from strikers being  conscious of having their big toe offside they can't get on the end of crosses etc, but I don't think that's what the issue is tonight. The issue is the handball rule. Of course if you take away VAR the goal is given so I can understand that argument, but at the moment I think it's far more likely we change the laws to work in conjunction with VAR than scrapping it all together, rightly or wrongly. So it's worth being critical of the laws on nights like this so the implementation of VAR improves going forward

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yeh they played poorly in a poor scrappy game.

If thats what west ham fans have to look forward to under Moyes i cant imagine they will be happy. Long ball rubbish no surprise they are after Fellaini!

Archived