IGNORED

VAR - Killing the fun in football

LocoPal

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I think it’s special, we’d have taken a few hundred up there for a Friday night match that was being broadcast live on tv - dunno how you can’t be impressed by the West Ham turnout ...

It’s the norm mate that’s all I’m saying for any London prem club to sell out a away end,not sure what we got to do with the matter but still

29 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Before VAR, refs would make mistakes, but these probably even out over time unless you are Man Utd.

VAR makes less mistakes but has completely ruined the game.  I also think a bias towards the bigger clubs still seems to exist.

It's only this season that your ear can be offside and interfering with play.

I hear what your saying.

19 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

It’s the norm mate that’s all I’m saying for any London prem club to sell out a away end,not sure what we got to do with the matter but still

But the two clubs you’re mentioning, Chelsea and West Ham, have always had superb away followings - way before the premier league existed and also when both those clubs weren’t even in the top tier ...

1 hour ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Yet they travel home without a point because of this all - disgraceful.

Should be travelling home without a point because they lost the goal was disallowed because they followed the rules the right decision 

Some would say it karma for the tevez goals that relegated them 13 years ago others will blame var

9 hours ago, phantom said:

I'd disagree and say VAR did what it's supposed to do. 

It's the actual rules that need updating if this ridiculous scenario is to continue 

As for killing the fun, the United fans celebrated that decision more than their goal 

I’d agree that VAR did what it was supposed to do and I’d absolutely scrap it tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

If the attacker had headed the ball against the defenders hand would of been play on. 
The handball rule in th penalty area is so far in the defensive sides favour now. Can’t see what the point of the law change that was made.

The handball issue illustrates how the rules have become too prescriptive. 

Anywhere else on the pitch if the ball hits a player completely accidentally, i.e. no intention by the player concerned, then it is not penalised. However, the minute the incident occurs inside the penalty area there is differentiation as to the outcome depending on whether the 'handball" was by an defender or attacker, and in the case of an attacker whether a goal resulted. That's ridiculous.

Even more ridiculous is that the "handball" which led to the disallowed goal for West Ham last night , was committed well outside the penalty area! 

As others have said it is not the use of VAR in itself that is the problem. It is the combination of VAR and the laws of the game that is causing the sometimes farcical decisions. Previously every game would result in debate about contentious refereeing decisions, which would be pulled apart by pundits having the benefit of television replays of these incidents from every angle and in slow motion, options not available to the referee, who had to make a split second decision based in seeing the incident in real time.

Having introduced technology, every game now results in debate about VAR decisions, which were made with the benefit of television replays from every angle and in slow motion, not in only a split second and having only seen the incident in real time. My worry is that increasingly it seems the on field referee is taken out of the decision making process, other than announcing the VAR outcome to the players and fans. 

If VAR is shown to eliminate incorrect decisions then no one would have a problem. That mistakes are still being made despite the use of technology, and, in the case of offside decisions, decisions are being based on  ludicrously fine margins and by taking play back umpteen phases prior to goals makes fans look back almost fondly to what increasingly seem the halcyon days pre-VAR, when human judgement, interpretation and error affected game, but which now appear to be the better option.

Many football fans couldn’t stop slagging off referees, they wanted the perfect game, they wanted every decision to be 100% correct.

Every week on this forum a referee would get slaughtered for making in his eyes an honest split second decision...... from the one angle he saw it. 

We must have cameras everyone said, whilst people with experience of refereeing knew what this would bring.

Well now the fans have what they wanted, but seem even more unhappy!. Referees have always had the hardest job in football and part of that was having to put up with the ‘experts’ in the stands, a lot of which don’t even know all the laws of the game that they pay to watch! 

So here we are, var is giving fans what they asked for..................

11 hours ago, phantom said:

I'd disagree and say VAR did what it's supposed to do. 

It's the actual rules that need updating if this ridiculous scenario is to continue 

Absolutely spot on. It’s was a ludicrous decision to amend the handball rule with VAR coming in. VAR would have made it a lot easier to judge accidental vs deliberate so no need to change the rule to be so black and white.

48 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Many football fans couldn’t stop slagging off referees, they wanted the perfect game, they wanted every decision to be 100% correct.

Every week on this forum a referee would get slaughtered for making in his eyes an honest split second decision...... from the one angle he saw it. 

We must have cameras everyone said, whilst people with experience of refereeing knew what this would bring.

Well now the fans have what they wanted, but seem even more unhappy!. Referees have always had the hardest job in football and part of that was having to put up with the ‘experts’ in the stands, a lot of which don’t even know all the laws of the game that they pay to watch! 

So here we are, var is giving fans what they asked for..................

No we didn't

I thought VAR was going to be a good idea. Now it's being used I hate it. Using a laser to work out the striker's nose hair was offside wasn't what I had expected. Technology is good but the people using it aren't allowed to use common sense when employing it.

Please bin it as it's killing the excitement of scoring.

What I would do is the following:

1. Scrap the stupid handball rule.

2. If VAR is needed for an offside, then give them 15 seconds maximum and if VAR has not made a decision in that time then the goal stands (should be sorted by the time the fans have even stopped celebrating). No need for any of the stupid lines etc.

3.For penalties/red cards/dives etc give them 30 seconds as will probably require a couple of different angles. If no decision in that time then just carry on. It was brought in for "clear and obvious", and if it takes more than that then it surely isn't clear and obvious is it.

4. Bring in retrospective video evidence for blatant dives/cheating (Kane holding his face a couple of weeks ago was a disgrace) and start banning players for 2 games (whether or not the ref has dealt with the situation at the time). Cheat again and double the ban for next offence if in that season. It will soon stop when they get banned and fines, and managers will want to stamp it out if their best players are banned.

For me the issue is not VAR itself, but the way it is being used.

It was intended to ensure that "clear and obvious" errors were not made, it is being used to call offsides by millimetres, or (as last night) pick up on indiscretions that have not been spotted in real time. Neither offsides by millimetres, or the likes of the handball last night, constitute "clear and obvious errors". If decisions made in open play were only changed when VAR shows that a "clear and obvious error" has been made, nobody would be complaining.

Question 

Just using spurs v Liverpool as an example as its on now and they checked firmino's goal for possible VAR against Henderson so hypothetical based on what happened. 

Had Dele Alli accidently knocked the ball with his arm onto Henderson's arm, the ball ends up at firmino who then scores, the goal would be ruled out for handball against Henderson (as per the rules) ..... But the only reason it's a handball is because of a handball by Alli which would not normally have been given. Penalty to Liverpool or free kick to spurs? 

12 minutes ago, phantom said:

I honestly think if we had VAR in our league our first goal could have been disallowed due to the angle of Paterson's upper body 

20200111_215200.jpg

Probably - I can’t see it coming to the Championship anytime soon (thankfully) thanks to the way the PL have ballsed it up.  

Archived