IGNORED

Wigan Athletic v Bristol City Match Day 27

BCFC_Josh

Doing this early because I have to take the kid to watch Star Wars. Just don't even ask....... ?‍♀️

Very interesting article appeared last night on the old Twitter feed...

Yep. Shocking isn't it? 

Now I know Tomlin has had his demons so I can say he's doing well to overcome them. But these talks have been going on for ages. Harris is getting all the credit but could it be that Warnock did what others had failed at and give Tomlin the right support he needed? It seems so. It was Warnock's idea to send him back to Peterborough on loan as that was where he would rediscover his love of the sport.

So the question is will Tomlin do what he always does in the comfortable knowledge of a contract and drop off? It even happened at Cardiff when he first signed. Warnock sent him out on loan to Forest and then he enjoyed a huge bonus when Cardiff won promotion to the Premier League, despite being rarely involved.

So with one City reject shoring up their Cardiff pay day, let's take a brief look at the others.

Bobby Reid - on loan at Fulham, almost halfway through a 4 year deal. 

Marlon Pack - 3 year deal, still hurts my heart.

Aden Flint - same as BFF Marlon, he's on a 3 year. 

Imagine Bobby will be sold probably next summer or the summer after. Pack and Flint may get 1 year extensions but fully expect them to released at the end of their contracts. 

Talking of Flint, anyone see this?

Classic. 

On to today.

Wigan have recently beaten Birmingham in the league and held Derby in a draw. Personally, I hate playing relegation threatened teams because those are the teams with everything to play for and nothing to lose. And we cave.

But with our reasonable away form and Williams back, I'll say 1-1 draw.

COYRs!

Just not confident at the moment in everything manager, players, tactics etc. Time will tell but the farce with this kid from Arsenal is a joke, equally though I wouldn't have clue who we are trying to sign a few red herrings about.

Saying that maybe a cheeky 1-0 away win wouldn't surprise me either.

28 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Doing this early because I have to take the kid to watch Star Wars. Just don't even ask....... ?‍♀️

Very interesting article appeared last night on the old Twitter feed...

Yep. Shocking isn't it? 

Now I know Tomlin has had his demons so I can say he's doing well to overcome them. But these talks have been going on for ages. Harris is getting all the credit but could it be that Warnock did what others had failed at and give Tomlin the right support he needed? It seems so. It was Warnock's idea to send him back to Peterborough on loan as that was where he would rediscover his love of the sport.

So the question is will Tomlin do what he always does in the comfortable knowledge of a contract and drop off? It even happened at Cardiff when he first signed. Warnock sent him out on loan to Forest and then he enjoyed a huge bonus when Cardiff won promotion to the Premier League, despite being rarely involved.

So with one City reject shoring up their Cardiff pay day, let's take a brief look at the others.

Bobby Reid - on loan at Fulham, almost halfway through a 4 year deal. 

Marlon Pack - 3 year deal, still hurts my heart.

Aden Flint - same as BFF Marlon, he's on a 3 year. 

Imagine Bobby will be sold probably next summer or the summer after. Pack and Flint may get 1 year extensions but fully expect them to released at the end of their contracts. 

Talking of Flint, anyone see this?

Classic. 

On to today.

Wigan have recently beaten Birmingham in the league and held Derby in a draw. Personally, I hate playing relegation threatened teams because those are the teams with everything to play for and nothing to lose. And we cave.

But with our reasonable away form and Williams back, I'll say 1-1 draw.

COYRs!

:sub:

May the Force be with you ( unless Julie H is on duty ) 

Lee Tomlin , we know all about . Does just enough . 

As for our glamorous match today , well I hate Wigan .

They rub our little red noses in it every bloody time . I remember an article in one of the soccer mags nearly twenty years ago when they interviewed Dave Whelan and Steve Lansdown.

The article was basically an arse licking piece stating that due to super management these two clubs were on the rise . 

Well since then Wigan have been in the Prem , won an FA cup , played in Europe, I think and many other worthy plaudits whilst we , eventually, went up to the Championship, came down and are now back up again.

Now Whelan has invested heavily in his project been brave , ruthless and successful. 

Uncle Steve has been lovely, mostly ,apart  from when he blew a fuse when the paying public wanted LJ out . 

He has given us a stadium to be proud of , developing a new training ground , bought us lots of lovely players and employed lovely coaches , apart from that rather nasty successful one who was quite rightly shown the door for being too single minded , oh and the other one who who was a blessing to sonambulists in BS3.

So why have today’s opponents been so successful in comparison to us ? 

They have so much against them that in theory they shouldn’t even exist .

Moving on to today .

Well we are due a bit of luck and with the unveiling of our new number 9 we should give it a right go . 

( what’s that you say ? ) 

ah , The old number 9 to notch a brace in a stressful Desmond is my prediction.

A massive hand to the hords of mad Robins heading up North . 

I am so proud of you .

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Why torture yourself ? 

But surely Major, any true supporter of our beloved club tortures themselves week in, week out. The optimist in me says a draw today, whereas the realist will be reluctantly dragged round the shops this afternoon by the better half pressing refresh on the phone................

I've severely lost confidence and belief after our recent run and am really not looking forward to this game at all.  There also seems to be a lack of belief or movement in the team and we are a yard off the pace.  Added to that, we are not winning tackles, aerial challenges or second balls, conceding from set pieces and not having a clue what to do with our own set pieces, I really wonder where it's all going wrong this time.

Maybe Lee can come up with a change of tactics, personnel and formation that might work this afternoon, but if we carry on playing the way we have been, we won't be coming back with any points and may even end up being embarassed.

There seems to be no plan.  We can't defend, can't attack, when we get the ball in midfield it just goes sideways and backwards until it ends up with a hoof from the keeper and we lose the ball again.

I just hope we can at least see a bit more fight, grit and determination today.

It's difficult to be optimistic about this one, recent performances have left a lot to be desired and if it's more of the same, we'll do well to get a draw.

Just wonder if Wigan will smell blood and really go for it, we could be in trouble if they do.

Let's hope we're over our poor run and can put together a good performance and restore some belief at the very least.

1 minute ago, Bristol is red said:

It's difficult to be optimistic about this one, recent performances have left a lot to be desired and if it's more of the same, we'll do well to get a draw.

Just wonder if Wigan will smell blood and really go for it, we could be in trouble if they do.

Let's hope we're over our poor run and can put together a good performance and restore some belief at the very least.

I agree, just can't see us winning today. We need to start well today, if we don't then I can't see us getting anything. 

29 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

I've severely lost confidence and belief after our recent run and am really not looking forward to this game at all.  There also seems to be a lack of belief or movement in the team and we are a yard off the pace.  Added to that, we are not winning tackles, aerial challenges or second balls, conceding from set pieces and not having a clue what to do with our own set pieces, I really wonder where it's all going wrong this time.

Maybe Lee can come up with a change of tactics, personnel and formation that might work this afternoon, but if we carry on playing the way we have been, we won't be coming back with any points and may even end up being embarassed.

There seems to be no plan.  We can't defend, can't attack, when we get the ball in midfield it just goes sideways and backwards until it ends up with a hoof from the keeper and we lose the ball again.

I just hope we can at least see a bit more fight, grit and determination today.

It would also help if in the media LJ would not ‘big up ‘ Wigan as being a decent side blah blah blah. They are not. They have not won a game in championship  since October. They are a struggling championship side. Fact.  I expect and look to a positive LJ taking the game to this lot instead of ‘cancelling’ out any attributes he perceives they possess. 

Not a game for the accumulator..

Wigan strong favourites and rightly so.

Can our comeback start today ? Who knows - if the players play as a team and as well as we know they can, then yes. But if they continue current form, definitely not. 

Could be a two or three goal win or loss. 

If I had to bet on it, I would say a comfortable Wigan win.

Please, please, prove me wrong lads :pray:

4 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

It would also help if in the media LJ would not ‘big up ‘ Wigan as being a decent side blah blah blah. They are not. They have not won a game in championship  since October. They are a struggling championship side. Fact.  I expect and look to a positive LJ taking the game to this lot instead of ‘cancelling’ out any attributes he perceives they possess. 

Indeed,  bottom 3 and 5 wins all season.

Will be very telling if a properly organised City team don't play with confidence today and get at least a point. 

9 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

It would also help if in the media LJ would not ‘big up ‘ Wigan as being a decent side blah blah blah. They are not. 

My favourite moment when Eddie Jones first became England Rugby Coach was before the game vs Italy. He was asked how England would do and he smiled and said something like “ mate, we need to be walloping these”. After years and years of “they are a tough side” and, “there’s no easy games”, it was like a breath of fresh air. 

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

My favourite moment when Eddie Jones first became England Rugby Coach was before the game vs Italy. He was asked how England would do and he smiled and said something like “ mate, we need to be walloping these”. After years and years of “they are a tough side” and, “there’s no easy games”, it was like a breath of fresh air. 

Exactly.  It’s almost comical how LJ came across re Wigan. False position and all that drivel.  Be positive man.   Anyway, hope for the best.  Respect to the 500 or so making that trip. 

I would think that one of the first names on the teamsheet as far as LJ is concerned would be Watkins. He'll be thinking we need him for defending set pieces and attacking set pieces. I reckon he'll also turn to Smith in midfield as one of his "trusted" players.

Wigan don't create or score that much so he may opt for 4-4-2.

Bentley

Pereira  Williams  Baker  Dasilva

Watkins  Brownhill  Smith  Eliasson

Weimann  Diedhiou

Thats a pretty pragmatic line up with no creative players other than Eliasson and I'd expect a fairly turgid game trying to grind out the result if thats the line up. 

3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

lets be honest. we need to beat wigan and Shrewsbury. anything else we have to make a change. 

The target has to be to win the next three games coming up. Then we can say we're back on track. Anything less would be a disappointment considering the opposition

Unfortunately, this is what you leave yourself with having to do when you toss away the Xmas period the way we did.

I believe we can do this though, so COYR! Let's getting going today and get some belief back for Liverpool  :laugh:

Archived