Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

If a club like Brentford can make it to the Prem before us SL needs to be asking some serious questions of himself and his staff. Tiny dilapidated ground, huge competition for fans yet they are ahead of us. Depressing.

Yes, at the risk of sounding like a sag, it really pisses me off that a "little" club like Brentford can consistently do what we can't !

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, bris red said:

Agh Brentford, how many more clubs of this size are going to have a crack at the Premier league before us? Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Swansea, Wigan.. the list is endless.

There's nothing quite like being the biggest team never to hit the prem :( If you take out the AD years (a statistical blip) you'd have to be about 109 to have been alive when City last player in the top tier and probably 115 to remember it. The current oldest person in the world, Kane Tanaka (117) is Japanese and she is unlikely to have caught any city games in the First Division back in the day.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not just about the players though. They have a philosophy right through the club. Something we were told we were getting when Johnson took charge. We’re miles off . 

Not exactly.

There is a philosophy within Bristol City. Many of the values are present on the walls of the academy etc. A philosophy applies to method e.g. how we coach.  

Lee Johnson stated he was going to create an identity throughout the club. That is how Bristol City play from the academy, U teams to the the XI. That is where he has failed .. And yes City are miles off. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Are you sure? I'm sure they've usually been a decent league 1 or Championship side. I don't ever recall them dropping to the pits. And yes, probably to your prem question!

Yeah they fell down to league 2 but got promoted after a couple of seasons. Around the same time GJ managed us.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Shows how well we played when down to 10 men. Don't believe they took their foot off the gas at all. I agree with LJs positive reaction to that 50 odd minutes of play by us.

They're a fantastic side. Wish LJ would try and play a similar style of football.

It is not a style. Styles change frequently. Brentford do not. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Hare Island said:

If a club like Brentford can make it to the Prem before us SL needs to be asking some serious questions of himself and his staff. Tiny dilapidated ground, huge competition for fans yet they are ahead of us. Depressing.

Having ambition will get you where you want to go if you honestly want it,if you employ your mates rather than skilled workmen then any company will fail

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

They were generally league 1 and league 2 when I started watching city. Lloyd Owusu was always decent to watch too!

Are they going to be added to that list of Hull, Swansea and Bournemouth of clubs that shot up from the depths of the footy league and get prem before we do ? 

Yes!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, swanker said:

They’ve been pretty good under 3 different managers on the trot now. They must be set up with a system that each manager knows and is willing works with. 

Definitely and have progressed under each too...have a better balance under Frank than Smith IMO. 

4-3-3 seems to be their go to. Think 3-4-3 is/has been a bit of a Plan B but there's no doubt that the modern progressive setup of many modern, progressive sides fits them quite well. LJ could take note!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Definitely and have progressed under each too...have a better balance under Frank than Smith IMO. 

Keep Maupay and who knows how high they'd be.

 

He went in the summer to Brighton 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Redpool said:

 

He went in the summer to Brighton 

I know that, should've worded differently, had they kept Maupay then. 

That said, Championship is as it is. Very good side though, quality clear to see. Once a goal and man down, a hammering always quite possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I know that, should've worded differently, had they kept Maupay then. 

That said, Championship is as it is. Very good side though, quality clear to see. Once a goal and man down, a hammering always quite possible.

In our case, even with 11 it would more than likely still be possible..

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Sleepy1968 said:

Are you sure? I'm sure they've usually been a decent league 1 or Championship side. I don't ever recall them dropping to the pits. And yes, probably to your prem question!

We relegated them to 'League 2' once last game of the season. It was a crazy game because it was when Goals Scored counted rather than Goal Difference. Second half, we'd won the game and so it didn't matter how many more they conceded, their only chance of staying up was to score more, so they were just piling forward regardless and leaving themselves wide open. We could have had 10 quite easily but it was the days of Junior Bent etc. Finished 5-2 IIRC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

We relegated them to 'League 2' once last game of the season. It was a crazy game because it was when Goals Scored counted rather than Goal Difference. Second half, we'd won the game and so it didn't matter how many more they conceded, their only chance of staying up was to score more, so they were just piling forward regardless and leaving themselves wide open. We could have had 10 quite easily but it was the days of Junior Bent etc. Finished 5-2 IIRC.

Wasn’t that about 93/94 season ?

i remember they brought loads down 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Hare Island said:

If a club like Brentford can make it to the Prem before us SL needs to be asking some serious questions of himself and his staff. Tiny dilapidated ground, huge competition for fans yet they are ahead of us. Depressing.

I am watching Portsmouth's progress with interest.

I know they have league titles and cup wins to their name; but I have always regarded them as a similar club to us in size.

12 years ago they won the F.A.Cup, and were in the P.L. until 10 years ago. They then fell through the leagues with financial difficulties, as we did in the early 80's.

They are now making slow but sure progress back up the leagues. I fully expect them to be in the L1 play offs this season, and who knows, they might be back in the championship next year.

If Portsmouth were to get back to the P.L. before we get there for the first time, then it really does demonstrate how poorly managed we have been over the years. They will have achieved the feat in possibly a quarter of the time it takes us to do it, and with smaller crowds in a shitty old ground.

Edited by The Gasbuster
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

We relegated them to 'League 2' once last game of the season. It was a crazy game because it was when Goals Scored counted rather than Goal Difference. Second half, we'd won the game and so it didn't matter how many more they conceded, their only chance of staying up was to score more, so they were just piling forward regardless and leaving themselves wide open. We could have had 10 quite easily but it was the days of Junior Bent etc. Finished 5-2 IIRC.

Thanks for that. If it was a home game I would have been there. I don't recall seeing many City wins at Brentford (if any(*)) after Steve Neville got his first city goal (or goals) in a 2-0 win in about 1984! (*I haven't been away for years now.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Gasbuster said:

I am watching Portsmouth's progress with interest.

I know they have league titles and cup wins to their name; but I have always regarded them as a similar club to us in size.

12 years ago they won the F.A.Cup, and were in the P.L. until 10 years ago. They then fell through the leagues with financial difficulties, as we did in the early 80's.

They are now making slow but sure progress back up the leagues. I fully expect them to be in the L1 play offs this season, and who knows, they might be back in the championship next year.

If Portsmouth were to get back to the P.L. before we get there for the first time, then it really does demonstrate how poorly managed we have been over the years. They will have achieved the feat in possibly a quarter of the time it takes us to do it, and with smaller crowds in a shitty old ground.

Exactly mate. So many clubs I have at one time or another considered our rivals in L1 or Champ have raced ahead and into the Premier League. Yes some were mismanaged and have since fallen but many had significant disadvantages compared to us. And at least they were there, many of them winning trophies or competing in Europe. Memories I would love to have of City.

Wigan Burnley Bournemouth Swansea Cardiff Stoke QPR Forest Reading Charlton Brighton Blackpool Bradford West Brom Birmingham Ipswich Sheff Utd Wolves Palace Watford Fulham Millwall Hull Huddersfield Barnsley Bolton

Thats just off the top of my head and there’s not a team in that list that I wouldn’t trade the last 25 years with. 

Edited by Hare Island
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...