IGNORED

Nathan Baker

Davefevs

Were the City defence under much pressure for a CB to really shine?

Hardly heard Baker's name mentioned on RB except for a typically wild challenge after the game was won.

Fammy was outstanding from what I heard ( and have now seen)

2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Were the City defence under much pressure for a CB to really shine?

Hardly heard Baker's name mentioned on RB except for a typically wild challenge after the game was won.

Fammy was outstanding from what I heard ( and have now seen)

Still some of the usual loose touches from Diedhiou but he did enough for MOTM. No one played exceptionally well except Paterson when he came on. It was a poor showing. 

Fan's disallowed goal was a stunning strike.

3 hours ago, mozo said:

Hmmm...didn't impress me today. Poor distribution as usual and a couple of defensive lapses. Not awful, just average Baker.

Not impressed by the brilliant block that stopped them taking the lead? Opinions, i know but come on... he's been really good this season.

Im very interested to see what happens with Baker. It seems very likely Wright will be gone. A solid at this level defender who generally has done very well for us. But right for him to be let go.

Baker frustrates me that he has spells of playing nowhere near his ability. Xmas 17/18 to May he was so off form. Last season in fact that mainly carried on. This season has been much more like first half of 17/18 season. Not sure why.

I'm sure LJ will look at everything when deciding what to do with him this summer. His age, how he has done for us, whether he's the right type of defender we need and the wage he is earning.

He will have a year left on his contract. It might well be that we do with him what we might do with Wright. Keep him here till end of his contract then release. Depends if we get any offers.

And it also depends on what we can bring in at centre back. I see there potentially being a few changes at the back in the summer.

I expect one in now with Wright likely being loaned out. Not many talking about that, but a loan out surely means one coming in. We wouldn't want to leave ourselves short.

If that one is a permanent and a quality centre back then that puts Baker down one more place in the pecking order. 

So really this season is a big season for him to earn himself a new deal in the summer.

The only reason Kalas would get picked before NB on this season's showing is because we forked out 8 million or something for Kalas.

Not knocking Kalas, as i like the guy... I'm only going by what i am seeing on the pitch this season.

Well played, Nathan. Clean sheet today, still waiting for someone to point out these mistakes that he so obviously makes time after time.. ???

Let's have some examples, cos i've not seen them.

Oh, and LJ has asked to be "aggressive in our simplicity"... LJ, i think we have found our man.

For me Baker is our best centre back, he's the only one that can deal with the physical forwards and is good enough in the air to dominate most forwards and the ones he can't he is good enough to make it very difficult for them, for example cardiff, he could not dominate their forwards in the air, but he made it so they rarely won anything cleanly and meant that they were largely in effective. For me Baker and Kalas should be our first choice pair with Moore as first reserve. 

That's nothing against Ashley Williams mind, who has done fine but we need to start building partnerships on the pitch and Williams isn't going to be around all that long. 

Archived