IGNORED

Plymouth fans

Bristol Oil Services

In 1960's coaches for Grimsby and all other northern games left at 11.00pm from Ashton Gate. Or trains at just after midnight to Manchester or Sheffield.

For a game at Bury, we were sat with Fred Ford all night on the train talking football.

Breakfast in the Bus depot canteen at Grimsby followed by dodgems on Cleethorpes Sands with the players. Playing football in the street outside Valley Parade all morning.

Visiting Old Trafford and Maine Road on a Saturday morning and being shown around by the staff followed by free tickets at Bury from Jack Connor and the players. Complimentary tickets from Alan Hodgkinson, then current England keeper, at Bramall Lane.

And a bottle of beer on the train home from Bert Tindill!

How different it all was then. We really felt part of the team.

I loved the kiddie on here, end of last season. He was umming and arring about Hull away, wanted to go, but couldn't get over what time he'd have to get up to make the 12.30 kick off ? I don't think he went, in the end

Now, that's a proper job Bristol City fan, he just couldn't be bloody arsed getting up early (for a game that might've seen us sneak in the play offs)

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

390 miles each way, you`ve got to admire them - it`s a hundred miles before they get anywhere!

Their new wonder kid Luke Jephcott got another two today - four in two for him now. He was on loan at Truro City a fortnight ago. They seem to be happy with our Tyreeq in midfield too.

Honestly you get used to it. I live in Plymouth but attend and play gigs all over the country.

The group I go with are mostly London or MK based and are often in awe of how long my journeys are.

The way home is always much worse taking into account hangovers and sleep deprivation!

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

In 1960's coaches for Grimsby and all other northern games left at 11.00pm from Ashton Gate. Or trains at just after midnight to Manchester or Sheffield.

For a game at Bury, we were sat with Fred Ford all night on the train talking football.

Breakfast in the Bus depot canteen at Grimsby followed by dodgems on Cleethorpes Sands with the players. Playing football in the street outside Valley Parade all morning.

Visiting Old Trafford and Maine Road on a Saturday morning and being shown around by the staff followed by free tickets at Bury from Jack Connor and the players. Complimentary tickets from Alan Hodgkinson, then current England keeper, at Bramall Lane.

And a bottle of beer on the train home from Bert Tindill!

How different it all was then. We really felt part of the team.

Great stuff- would love to hear more.

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Only 400 got up at 4am to go one end of the country to the other!!!

Shocking

I know a local team who would have got up at 3,30 and took 40,000 

And licked road clean on the way..

Them were the days.

New Years Day, I think it was 1985?  Anyway, I left the party at 4am to go home and get my lift at 7 am. Can't remember what time coach 2 left AG.

I know we lost 1-0.

Wherever the beer was served prior to the game,  I bumped into another fan who told me that he was staying at the same hotel as the players and was able to have a pint with Sir Terry Cooper before the team team was curfewed at a respectable hour.

Only 35 years ago!

Wycombe Wanders New Year's day 2003 I think. 

Actually I got up New Years Eve morning. The evening was spent in the Fire Station - Lisa Lashes and Anne Savage. Some questionable disco helpers until 9 in the morning. Then all down to Wycombe for the game. 

Buzzin

• Admin
1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

Wycombe Wanders New Year's day 2003 I think. 

Actually I got up New Years Eve morning. The evening was spent in the Fire Station - Lisa Lashes and Anne Savage. Some questionable disco helpers until 9 in the morning. Then all down to Wycombe for the game. 

Buzzin

Remember that day, I was up from 0530 on 31st to go to work, came home went straight out for NYE party.

Got home just two hours before I was due to be picked up, jumped in the bath (literally) covered in bruises and a flooded bathroom.

Some Aussie keeper played a blinder for them and they beat us (2-1 I think). Eventually nearly 40 hours of being awake, finally managed to get to sleep 

9 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Honestly you get used to it. I live in Plymouth but attend and play gigs all over the country.

The group I go with are mostly London or MK based and are often in awe of how long my journeys are.

The way home is always much worse taking into account hangovers and sleep deprivation!

You do I agree. I live halfway between Okehampton and Launceston and it`s a 240 mile round trip for home games - I only really notice it for night games and it is a right pain in the summer holiday season when I have to leave home about 8am to beat the bloody caravans!

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

In about 1980 we had a football special train to Carlisle which was full, it was an FA cup tie. We must have had about 6-800 up there for that one.

I can’t remember what time the train left, but it was bloody early....... and a bloody long way!

edit, just looked it up, 1981....1-1 draw.

1964 ?

Train from PARSON STREET departed at 11.00pm Friday night for an FA Cup at Sunderland. They were top of Div 2, we were mid table Div 3.

Freezing cold, loco broke down in Birmingham, arrived at 11am. 

Pitch frozen solid, we lost 1-6, got back to Bristol around 3am Sunday.

Happy Days following City.

Archived