Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Apparently, they all got up at 4 o'clock this morning to get to Carlisle. Daft buggers. Must've been breakfast at Gordano. Which got me thinking, where do you draw the line? What's the earliest you will get up to watch the City? Me, I'm reluctant to get up much before 10.20/10.25. 

Why did they all get up at 4am if only 400 of them were going to Carlisle..?

I think I’d draw the line at getting up to go and wave the CATS coaches off..! 

• Haha 3

Their away support is amazing. Not sure we would do that at league 2 . But then I was never there in the dark days ....

Edited by Kodjias Wrist

Plus those travelling on the official coaches all got free bacon sandwiches courtesy of the Argyle manager 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Corsham Ed said:

And they ended up ŵinning 3-0, which makes the journey well worth while.

390 miles each way, you`ve got to admire them - it`s a hundred miles before they get anywhere!

Their new wonder kid Luke Jephcott got another two today - four in two for him now. He was on loan at Truro City a fortnight ago. They seem to be happy with our Tyreeq in midfield too.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Apparently, they all got up at 4 o'clock this morning to get to Carlisle. Daft buggers. Must've been breakfast at Gordano. Which got me thinking, where do you draw the line? What's the earliest you will get up to watch the City? Me, I'm reluctant to get up much before 10.20/10.25. 

The coaches left at 4am so they would have been up before that, if 400 went that's very impressive, got to be almost a 24 hour trip inc the game 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Think we left at 6.30am for the auto windscreens final or whatever it was called back then against Stoke, left at 7am for Leeds away last year and we were hanging around waiting for the pubs to open at 11.

We had coaches leaving the city centre at 3-4am in the morning after the clubs had kicked out.Blackpool,Carlisle etc.

Ask Leader about the good old days...😎

I even hitched through the night with a buddy to Pompey when i was 15,We left about 10pm and slept in a shed on the way.

Climbed into Ninian Park once when i was 14 but got in too early and got chucked out....i was the only one in there :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

390 miles each way, you`ve got to admire them - it`s a hundred miles before they get anywhere!

Their new wonder kid Luke Jephcott got another two today - four in two for him now. He was on loan at Truro City a fortnight ago. They seem to be happy with our Tyreeq in midfield too.

120 miles just to get to our place.!!!

In the scheme of things Plymouth are a big club. Capable of getting similar crowds to us.

How that lot down the road think there on a par beggars belief. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stephenkibby. said:

120 miles just to get to our place.!!!

In the scheme of things Plymouth are a big club. Capable of getting similar crowds to us.

How that lot down the road think there on a par beggars belief. 

The season we won League 1 up until a few weeks off the end of the season it was highly possible that Swindon would come up with us and Argyle would get promoted from League 2.

If both had happened, their closest game the next season would have been Walsall - getting on for 200 miles away!

• Haha 2

It's a cracking effort by the 400bwho made the trip, and being the longest trip imaginable for a league game, I would have thought a fair few would have made the journey just on that basis.

See today's 'Matchday thread' and the claim 'I'm sure there are some who didn't want us to win today'.

Arguments CAN be won with, 'Not a genuine fan? I didn't see YOU at the Carlise away game'.

I understand new years honours have been awarded for those making the journey midweek.

A few of us once were offered free national express to Reading the year that bloke (Lavin??) got sent off on his debut  Only catch was the coach was 6:30am. We were in reading for 7:30 for a 3pm KO. 

Great day tho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Portred said:

A few of us once were offered free national express to Reading the year that bloke (Lavin??) got sent off on his debut  Only catch was the coach was 6:30am. We were in reading for 7:30 for a 3pm KO. 

Great day tho. 

That was before the pubs were open all day too I expect! 

No Spoons open to pass the time?

16 minutes ago, Portred said:

Great day tho. 

If it makes you feel any better about your long day out, I got off the train, got on a bus (standard public transport) to the ground.

Now, owing to incidents various pre-match, post match; we all had to walk back to the station as the bus operator had decided that Bristolians were no longer welcome to use their busses.

I believe that one point, some sort of 'Reading Yoof' threw small objects at a bus stuck in traffic. This was met with a response that included throwing the bus seat through the window of the bus in retaliation.

Long walk that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Piece of piss...........in 70's left for Hull on the City coach 11.30 Friday night ! Worse was '68 left AG @ 4.00am, for Boro, pissing down all the way only to get there and it was OFF !:grr:

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

I drove from Bristol to Aberdeen for a game that was called off when I was about 45 mins from The Granite City - so just went on the piss with the Jags boys for the weekend ... that was only a ten hour drive ....

54 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

If it makes you feel any better about your long day out, I got off the train, got on a bus (standard public transport) to the ground.

Now, owing to incidents various pre-match, post match; we all had to walk back to the station as the bus operator had decided that Bristolians were no longer welcome to use their busses.

I believe that one point, some sort of 'Reading Yoof' threw small objects at a bus stuck in traffic. This was met with a response that included throwing the bus seat through the window of the bus in retaliation.

Long walk that.

I was on that bus !! My mate got pulled for the window going thru (wasn’t him).
As I said, great (long) day. 

13 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

Piece of piss...........in 70's left for Hull on the City coach 11.30 Friday night ! Worse was '68 left AG @ 4.00am, for Boro, pissing down all the way only to get there and it was OFF !:grr:

This is all getting a bit too: "We used to get up 'alf an hour before we went to bed, crawl up the A38 to Tewkesbury" .....

• Haha 1

In 1960's coaches for Grimsby and all other northern games left at 11.00pm from Ashton Gate. Or trains at just after midnight to Manchester or Sheffield.

For a game at Bury, we were sat with Fred Ford all night on the train talking football.

Breakfast in the Bus depot canteen at Grimsby followed by dodgems on Cleethorpes Sands with the players. Playing football in the street outside Valley Parade all morning.

Visiting Old Trafford and Maine Road on a Saturday morning and being shown around by the staff followed by free tickets at Bury from Jack Connor and the players. Complimentary tickets from Alan Hodgkinson, then current England keeper, at Bramall Lane.

And a bottle of beer on the train home from Bert Tindill!

How different it all was then. We really felt part of the team.

• Like 8

I loved the kiddie on here, end of last season. He was umming and arring about Hull away, wanted to go, but couldn't get over what time he'd have to get up to make the 12.30 kick off 😅 I don't think he went, in the end

Now, that's a proper job Bristol City fan, he just couldn't be bloody arsed getting up early (for a game that might've seen us sneak in the play offs)

3 hours ago, Lanterne Rouge said:

Honestly you get used to it. I live in Plymouth but attend and play gigs all over the country.

The group I go with are mostly London or MK based and are often in awe of how long my journeys are.

The way home is always much worse taking into account hangovers and sleep deprivation!

Edited by redsince1994
  • Like 3

Earliest I was up specifically for City was 3am to get the 5:15 coach to Hull last day of last season. 12:30pm KO with the slimmest margin for finishing 6th.

Edited by sephjnr
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ben91tucker said:

567 is official count, fair play to them! 

Wow that is fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

In 1960's coaches for Grimsby and all other northern games left at 11.00pm from Ashton Gate. Or trains at just after midnight to Manchester or Sheffield.

For a game at Bury, we were sat with Fred Ford all night on the train talking football.

Breakfast in the Bus depot canteen at Grimsby followed by dodgems on Cleethorpes Sands with the players. Playing football in the street outside Valley Parade all morning.

Visiting Old Trafford and Maine Road on a Saturday morning and being shown around by the staff followed by free tickets at Bury from Jack Connor and the players. Complimentary tickets from Alan Hodgkinson, then current England keeper, at Bramall Lane.

And a bottle of beer on the train home from Bert Tindill!

How different it all was then. We really felt part of the team.

Great stuff- would love to hear more.

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

"We used to get up 'alf an hour before we went to bed, crawl up the A38 to Tewkesbury" ..

Luxury..............

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Only 400 got up at 4am to go one end of the country to the other!!!

Shocking

I know a local team who would have got up at 3,30 and took 40,000 

And licked road clean on the way..

Them were the days.

New Years Day, I think it was 1985?  Anyway, I left the party at 4am to go home and get my lift at 7 am. Can't remember what time coach 2 left AG.

I know we lost 1-0.

Wherever the beer was served prior to the game,  I bumped into another fan who told me that he was staying at the same hotel as the players and was able to have a pint with Sir Terry Cooper before the team team was curfewed at a respectable hour.

Only 35 years ago!

In about 1980 we had a football special train to Carlisle which was full, it was an FA cup tie. We must have had about 6-800 up there for that one.

I can’t remember what time the train left, but it was bloody early....... and a bloody long way!

edit, just looked it up, 1981....1-1 draw.

Edited by Portland Bill

Wycombe Wanders New Year's day 2003 I think. 

Actually I got up New Years Eve morning. The evening was spent in the Fire Station - Lisa Lashes and Anne Savage. Some questionable disco helpers until 9 in the morning. Then all down to Wycombe for the game. 

Buzzin

1 hour ago, WayOutWest said:

Wycombe Wanders New Year's day 2003 I think. 

Actually I got up New Years Eve morning. The evening was spent in the Fire Station - Lisa Lashes and Anne Savage. Some questionable disco helpers until 9 in the morning. Then all down to Wycombe for the game. 

Buzzin

Remember that day, I was up from 0530 on 31st to go to work, came home went straight out for NYE party.

Got home just two hours before I was due to be picked up, jumped in the bath (literally) covered in bruises and a flooded bathroom.

Some Aussie keeper played a blinder for them and they beat us (2-1 I think). Eventually nearly 40 hours of being awake, finally managed to get to sleep 

• Like 1

Me and my Dad drove overnight to Ayresome park once back in the late 80/90's. Had a tyre blow out around 3 am And we were robbed of a David Rennie winner..So I guess that was around a 1 am start. It was proper rough around there back in them days too. Hard hat times. But good times!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

Honestly you get used to it. I live in Plymouth but attend and play gigs all over the country.

The group I go with are mostly London or MK based and are often in awe of how long my journeys are.

The way home is always much worse taking into account hangovers and sleep deprivation!

You do I agree. I live halfway between Okehampton and Launceston and it`s a 240 mile round trip for home games - I only really notice it for night games and it is a right pain in the summer holiday season when I have to leave home about 8am to beat the bloody caravans!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

In about 1980 we had a football special train to Carlisle which was full, it was an FA cup tie. We must have had about 6-800 up there for that one.

I can’t remember what time the train left, but it was bloody early....... and a bloody long way!

edit, just looked it up, 1981....1-1 draw.

1964 ?

Train from PARSON STREET departed at 11.00pm Friday night for an FA Cup at Sunderland. They were top of Div 2, we were mid table Div 3.

Freezing cold, loco broke down in Birmingham, arrived at 11am. 

Pitch frozen solid, we lost 1-6, got back to Bristol around 3am Sunday.

Happy Days following City.