IGNORED

Miracles do happen

AshtonRobin21

How we are 1 point off the play offs is a miracle in itself. 

Recent form and today’s ‘smash and grab’ performance is to be questioned but yet we somehow are within touching distance of the top 6. 

Winning ugly is a positive trait however. Being able to take home maximum points without being at our best.

The possession stats from today are really laughable. A poor Wigan team battling for their lives at the bottom end of the table, are able to dominate the ball against us. However we came away with the 3 points and sets us up to push on. 

This may cause some debate but a player like Sam Morsey could be very useful to us. Happy to sweep up in front of the defence and is alert to interceptions. Not gifted with the highest of ability, but knows his role and does it well (whilst also being able to wind up the opposition, from what I have seen of him previously).

I’m amazed looking at the table that we are still well and truely in the mix. 

Yet we are presented with an opportunity to make a strong push in the remaining games of the season. If we can get some quality up top to support Fam (who has really done very well the last few games) can we keep pushing without having a clear ‘identity’ and never really performing well? 

My question is simply.... Would fans be happy to stick with LJ whilst winning ugly, yet not being exciting to watch in the slightest? 

Personally I don’t think LJ is the right man(as I have stated on previous topics). But yet this seems to be the craziest season I can remember for a long time. So many teams separated by such few points. Is the impossible really possible?

6 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Recent form and today’s ‘smash and grab’ performance is to be questioned but yet we somehow are within touching distance of the top 6. 

Winning ugly is a positive trait however. Being able to take home maximum points without being at our best.

The possession stats from today are really laughable. A poor Wigan team battling for their lives at the bottom end of the table, are able to dominate the ball against us. However we came away with the 3 points and sets us up to push on. 

This may cause some debate but a player like Sam Morsey could be very useful to us. Happy to sweep up in front of the defence and is alert to interceptions. Not gifted with the highest of ability, but knows his role and does it well (whilst also being able to wind up the opposition, from what I have seen of him previously).

Yet we are presented with an opportunity to make a strong push in the remaining games of the season. If we can get some quality up top to support Fam (who has really done very well the last few games) can we keep pushing without having a clear ‘identity’ and never really performing well? 

My question is simply.... Would fans be happy to stick with LJ whilst winning ugly, yet not being exciting to watch in the slightest? 

Personally I don’t think LJ is the right man(as I have stated on previous topics). But yet this seems to be the craziest season I can remember for a long time. So many teams separated by such few points. Is the impossible really possible?

I thought Callum Robinson was their best player along with Kipkere. ( the blond CB. ) 

7 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Yep to the red bits and there will be many more ups and downs, probably ending about where we were last season.

Wigan set up with a 4-3-3 or similar... plus their performances outstrip results a bit. Believe LJ changed it early?

Today was a win. Nothing amazing but useful and important. Hopefully it's the start of something, players having a few days off and an away win...

I say again, Wigan's performances have belied their results at times this season.

Nice to say Diedhiou score AND assist. Sounds like one of his better games? Paterson, goal on return...another useful option to have...hope he'll add competition for places, hopefully can push others on. 

As for a point off playoffs...it's this League. It's a mad one- we're above Preston now for example!!

13 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

I thought Callum Robinson was their best player along with Kipkere. ( the blond CB. ) 

Antonee Robinson.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Wigan set up with a 4-3-3 or similar... plus their performances outstrip results a bit. Believe LJ changed it early?

Today was a win. Nothing amazing but useful and important. Hopefully it's the start of something, players having a few days off and an away win...

I say again, Wigan's performances have belied their results at times this season.

Nice to say Diedhiou score AND assist. Sounds like one of his better games? Paterson, goal on return...another useful option to have...hope he'll add competition for places, hopefully can push others on. 

As for a point off playoffs...it's this League. It's a mad one- we're above Preston now for example!!

30-35 mins

2 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

His biggest problem is that he is consistently inconsistent. Dull games but winning games is how many clubs win promotion.

He is too scared of opposition and losing that he forgets to send his teams out to win. How we play to win is irrelevant. Over a nine month season, even the top sides like Liverpool, Man City, grind out the wins to get the trophies.

Johnson has to learn how to win. A winning side is an entertaining side because sport is about winning. It's not about performance like a ballet!

But losing or drawing with dull performances is what we have and it is driving a lot of fans to stay away.

To gain promotion is not about entertainment throughout the nine months. It's about winning more than the others. And that creates the feel good factor. He needs to learn how, NOW.

PS. Another lovely three points today. COYREDS!

It was clear from the set-up that all LJ was interested in first half an hour was keeping it tight. We offered nothing going forward and just let them have the ball.

No idea why so negative as the only team with any quality going forward was us. When we got at them 2nd half on the break we opened them up - just disappointing we didn’t do that the whole game really. 

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

It was clear from the set-up that all LJ was interested in first half an hour was keeping it tight. We offered nothing going forward and just let them have the ball.

No idea why so negative as the only team with any quality going forward was us. When we got at them 2nd half on the break we opened them up - just disappointing we didn’t do that the whole game really. 

Why be disappointed?  We got three points.  As Jamie Paterson said, the perfect away performance...

3 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

We need Glenn Roeder.

9 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Because there was no need to be so negative first half - we’ve got the quality not to be. 

But surely the plan was to keep it tight at the back and catch them on the break, to secure the win?   Which is exactly what we did.  If we had played the first half differently it would have been, literally, a whole different ball game.

10 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

His biggest problem is that he is consistently inconsistent. Dull games but winning games is how many clubs win promotion.

He is too scared of opposition and losing that he forgets to send his teams out to win. How we play to win is irrelevant. Over a nine month season, even the top sides like Liverpool, Man City, grind out the wins to get the trophies.

Johnson has to learn how to win. A winning side is an entertaining side because sport is about winning. It's not about performance like a ballet!

But losing or drawing with dull performances is what we have and it is driving a lot of fans to stay away.

To gain promotion is not about entertainment throughout the nine months. It's about winning more than the others. And that creates the feel good factor. He needs to learn how, NOW.

PS. Another lovely three points today. COYREDS!

Agreed.

9 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not sure it really is that unusual table not that dissimilar to same time last year:

E8B93535-1C80-4A3C-B2B6-21DCAD10167D.png

I don't think anyone said it was unusual?

The original post was that it is a miracle that we find ourselves here despite the dross we've been playing.

Having said that, I do like to see how we track vs previous years and it's good to see we're still not far off course to better last season.

12 hours ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

It certainly is a miracle and just goes to show what a wasted opportunity this season could be if we don't make the top 6 

Let's be honest, the league is poor this season. Very few teams showing any real consistency and it reminds me a little like the season we hit the top 6 last year 

Sadly one swallow doesn't make a summer. Wigan are terrible let's be honest. Saying that it's still a  great result yesterday but 4 years of LJ does not fill me with any confidence that our frailties can be eradicated over the coming weeks 

Still far to powder puff. 

9 hours ago, BCFC Richard said:

Not sure it really is that unusual table not that dissimilar to same time last year:

E8B93535-1C80-4A3C-B2B6-21DCAD10167D.png

I've said for many years...at this time of the season, always look at the GD. It really is a good indication as to where a team is likely to end up. You usually get a couple teams bucking the trend...Brentford were always below what stats suggested they should be higher. Seemingly they continue in an upward curve. I think it's Reading this year bucking the trend.

Weirdly I read a Football Manager final prediction table this week. Apparently they have really good analytical systems in place....and they predict we'll end up 4th ???

11 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

To be fair we lost our last league game 4-0 and we are on a pretty bad run, and away from home, I think I would have kept things tight as well, sounds like a perfect away performance to me.  At home on the other hand is where we have the issue

12 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I was very impressed by Wigan at our place earlier this season. Was probably the first game where we were outplayed by one of the so called lesser sides in the division. We were lucky to get a point.

any point away from home is a good point in this league and to get all 3 yesterday is a great result regardless of performance and Wigan’s lowly league position.

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

But surely the plan was to keep it tight at the back and catch them on the break, to secure the win?   Which is exactly what we did.  If we had played the first half differently it would have been, literally, a whole different ball game.

That was very obviously the plan - however  we were even more negative than I thought was possible. I think Ole describes just how poor we were in that first half an hour well. 

4 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

To be fair we lost our last league game 4-0 and we are on a pretty bad run, and away from home, I think I would have kept things tight as well, sounds like a perfect away performance to me.  At home on the other hand is where we have the issue

It was far from perfect but yes that was clearly the plan. Hoping LJ can crack the home thing very soon...

Archived